Recommendation for Electric Smoker

I finally took my Mastercraft smoker outside today and cleaned it well.

Next up: Really meaty, small boned baby back ribs. I'll smoke'em a couple of hours and finish them off on a charcoal grill.

In the Deep South, we live on slow cooked barbeque. That's different from smoked meats. The smoke is preferable when meat renders it's fat directly on hardwood coals.

We prefer to cook pork for the most part because it's so tender, flavorful and it's affordable. I'm not about to smoke beef that costs $9.99-$12.99 a pound when I can get pork shoulder for $1.50 a pound and it's so easy to deal with.

I’ve got a CampChef pellet grill. They work just like the Traeger. I’ve had it for about a year and a half, and use it all the time. I don’t grill on it, only smoke. For super hot searing, I use my TruInfrared propane grill. The Traegers and CampChefs have their limits in terms of high temp work, but you can’t beat the pellet grill for smoking.
+1 on Camp Chef. I have mine for a few months now and really enjoy the results for smoking briskets pork butts, and ribs. With kids, we are also enjoying store-bought pizzas and smoking them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. By doing this and adding a few "gourmet" toppings you get a wood-fired pizza experience.

+2 on Camp Chef vs Traeger, primarily because I can empty the ashes from the burn pot without waiting for the thing to cool and then half-dissasembling it.

For people who are not familiar, pellet grills are basically smoke-filled ovens. Not really grills. For searing, CC has a couple of options that fasten to the side of the smoker. I have the "sear station" and it is great. We use it for cooking hamburgers as well as for searing steaks.

Some brands have sort of makeshift attempts to provide grilling, but I am skeptical. Not hampered by any experience however.

The ash clean out is definitely a big plus on the CC. I have had pretty good success with the internal slide that allows some grilling for burgers, although I am sure the propane grill attachment gets a better sear. The one thing that has been a challenge is chicken. Even if I try to hit with a high temp near the end of the smoke, it still never achieves a crispy skin.

Any tips on how to smoke and get some crispiness on chicken in a pellet smoker?

Last edited:
... Any tips on how to smoke and get some crispiness on chicken in a pellet smoker?
Propane torch? (https://www.bernzomatic.com/) or overpriced torch? (https://foodal.com/kitchen/general-kitchenware/guides-general-kitchenware/top-kitchen-torches/)

I am not much of a chicken fan though I eat a fair amount as a KCBS BBQ judge. The comp cooks are usually working with some variety of smoky oven, so little if any of the comp chicken is crispy. Usually it is gooped up with sauce, which costs one point on my judging slip.

I have slightly modified a Weber Performer with a raised charcoal grate and a Vortex-wannabe made from a stainless bowl used to contain the charcoal. A half hour screwing around to get a good hot coal bed and a few minutes of skin-down chicken will crispen the skin. If there is any sugary sauce on the skin, though, it is game over. Charred black.

The ash clean out is definitely a big plus on the CC. I have had pretty good success with the internal slide that allows some grilling for burgers, although I am sure the propane grill attachment gets a better sear. The one thing that has not been a challenge is chicken. Even if I try to hit with a high temp near the end of the smoke, it still never achieves a crispy skin.

Any tips on how to smoke and get some crispiness on chicken in a pellet smoker?
I use a gas grill for searing and high temp stuff, Traeger for smoking and lower temp indirect smoking. You could try a reverse sear, but if I’m smoking chicken, most of the fat under the skin has rendered into the meat, and I’m not going to get crispy skin. I don’t usually try to mix smoking and grilling, although I have done reverse sear on steaks and tritip after a ashorter exposure to smoke and it turned out well.

It really is true, I suppose, that a smoker is best for just that and not both grilling and smoking. I do enjoy chicken that has absorbed a good amount of smoke yet doesn't have rubbery skin. As suggested, I guess it requires moving the chicken over to a charcoal or gas grill for crisping up.

Got a brisket on now that is getting up to temp wrapped in peach paper following an overnight smoke. Hoping for good results!

It really is true, I suppose, that a smoker is best for just that and not both grilling and smoking.

That's why I've always loved my Big Green Egg. It does everything, and does it well enough.

It really is true, I suppose, that a smoker is best for just that and not both grilling and smoking. I do enjoy chicken that has absorbed a good amount of smoke yet doesn't have rubbery skin. As suggested, I guess it requires moving the chicken over to a charcoal or gas grill for crisping up.

Got a brisket on now that is getting up to temp wrapped in peach paper following an overnight smoke. Hoping for good results!
Hope it does! Brisket is so yummy when done right.

I use that peach unwaxed butcher paper to wrap brisket after several hours. At that point I out it in a slow oven, because I don’t see the point in burning several more hours worth of pellets. The bark continues to darken beautifully.

On crispy chicken skin: it might also be possible to initially sear the chicken skin, then turn down low or move to smoker to smoke. I know when I grill chicken pieces on the little charcoal Weber I initially put it on the hot side skin down then turn over and move to the cool side. Throwing a couple of cherry chunks on the coals very much improved the flavor.

One thing I really love about the electric smokers is woodsmoke flavor without charcoal flavor. I’m not a big fan of charcoal flavor. It’s ok, but I like it much better without.

Last edited:
Looking for an electric smoker, something that can fit on my patio, work all year road, reliable, able to do long slow cook.
Appreciate anyone's experience on a smoker they use and any recommendations for my first trial at smoking.
Thanks

OOH OOH OOH!!!!! Mr Kotter Mr Kotter.... I know this one.....
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/

This is what we bought 3 years ago, after watching a friend bring his to campouts over several years....
We use this at home on a wooden deck, but great on the road to.
This will set on a tailgate, plug into your cigarette lighter, set your cook profile and your phone will tell you when its done....
Will burn hot enough to grill, or low enough to (as Im doing today) smoke fresh peppers and pineapple.... (making pepper jelly)
Small and compact, but large enough to smoke a turkey, 2 chickens.. and have done 2 Butts at once... last trip we took a 9 Lb ribeye cut into 1 1/2 steaks and all fit... YES... smoked steaks are AWESOME.

I got brave. I’m doing my first overnight smoke. We picked up a brisket at Costco. They didn’t have many, and they were all large. The most flexible one was a little over 18 lbs!

After trimming it was probably 15 pounds. It couldn’t have been any bigger - just fit! There is just enough room around it plus my small water pan.

BTW - this article is a nice complication of the Franklin brisket tutorial videos. As I do brisket so infrequently, I always have to review - especially trimming.

Attachments

• 865494F6-E25A-403E-9251-334FFD54F263.jpeg
    865494F6-E25A-403E-9251-334FFD54F263.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
When I do brisket I always cut it in half so I have a thick piece and thinner piece. It avoids overcooking the thinner piece. I put my remote thermometer in the thinner piece and pull it off when that one's done then move the thermometer to the thicker piece. There can be a few hours difference in cooking time.

We got this Masterbuilt smoker and my spouse seemed very pleased with it, although since it's an all-day project it's not something we do very often. For those that are new to smoking, I also recommend a remote temperature sensor so you can check the core meat temp without opening the smoker. The most surprising thing when I first tried it was how much of a difference the outside temperature made in cooking time. With grilling it really doesn't matter, but I should have known that at lower cooking temps there would be a much bigger effect. But then, our first smoker was just thin sheet metal, not insulated like the Masterbuilt.

When I do brisket I always cut it in half so I have a thick piece and thinner piece. It avoids overcooking the thinner piece. I put my remote thermometer in the thinner piece and pull it off when that one's done then move the thermometer to the thicker piece. There can be a few hours difference in cooking time.

This is what I generally do. I separate the point and flat down the fat seam, smoke at the same time and then I turn the point into burnt ends. It worked pretty good and saves a little time to boot. However there are some really good remote thermometers out there with four probes so you can monitor individual temperatures the entire smoke.

I currently have two smokers one is a horizontal offset which I use when I want the best smoke, however it requires much more attention during the smoke. I also have a master built electric that I modified with what's called the mailbox mod, so if I'm doing a really long smoke I can use pellets for the smoke flavor.

I'm really intrigued by the new Masterbuilt gravity smoker which uses charcoal and wood chunks but uses a fan to control temperature and you can grill or smoke with it. I'm not sure DW will allow me to have three smokers though LOL.

To my opinion in summary is electric smokers are great for the convenience and I'll probably always have one for that however, for the best smoke you'll want either a charcoal or stick burner unit.

I've smoked dozens of briskets. It was so counter intuitive to cook longer to get them tender and moist, but finally, one day, I did. I left the brisket in until internal temperature reached 206 degrees. I normally pulled at 190. They were always dry and crumbly, how could leaving it in longer make it moist and tender was my thought. But I can't argue with success. I highly recommend leaving the brisket in to 206 degrees, smoking at 225 to 250 smoker temp. A brisket in the 15 pound range will take at least 18 hours this way, but so worth it.
I trim the heck out of my briskets too. I leave maybe 1/2" of the fat cap, but dig in and trim as much as I can otherwise, including removing the 'silver skin'. I season with either Montreal Steak Seasoning or just course rock salt and ground pepper.
When the brisket comes out, it is so tender and moist, it jiggles like a jello mold. I use oak but lately been experimenting and found pecan to be a little milder and not so much tannin flavor as oak. Mesquite is good, but strong, so use less.

Cheers!
Oh, my smoker is a Cookshack SM025, retails for around $900. Good size for the homeowner.

Last edited:
I have a Traeger and a Rec Tec both work great for pellet smokers. I had a master built electric it was good but broke after a year and was pain to add wood all the time. With the smokers that have wifi control you set it and forget it, controlled from your phone which is nice in the winter. Expect to pay $1,000 however.

I've smoked dozens of briskets. It was so counter intuitive to cook longer to get them tender and moist, but finally, one day, I did. I left the brisket in until internal temperature reached 206 degrees. I normally pulled at 190. They were always dry and crumbly, how could leaving it in longer make it moist and tender was my thought.
Yes. I went through the same stages. Answer on the moisture is that there is a collagen that breaks down in that heat region and effectively bastes the meat. Before it breaks down it is what makes the meat tough. Wisdom on the http://www.bbq-brethren.com forum (and I agree) is to get above 190 internal then forget about time and temperature, just start probing. The point will probe tender first, but the critical area is in the thickest part of the flat, near the center of the slab. I just use my good instant read thermometer, which has a sharp point. I don't wrap but if you do, just poke the probe through the paper or the foil.

But I can't argue with success. I highly recommend leaving the brisket in to 206 degrees, smoking at 225 to 250 smoker temp. A brisket in the 15 pound range will take at least 18 hours this way, but so worth it. ...
Cookers will be different; at 225 both my Camp Chef and my Traeger will finish a big brisket in 12 hours or less. The meat and the probe will tell you when the brisket is done, not the clock or the thermometer.

I've smoked dozens of briskets. It was so counter intuitive to cook longer to get them tender and moist, but finally, one day, I did. I left the brisket in until internal temperature reached 206 degrees. I normally pulled at 190. They were always dry and crumbly, how could leaving it in longer make it moist and tender was my thought. But I can't argue with success. I highly recommend leaving the brisket in to 206 degrees, smoking at 225 to 250 smoker temp. A brisket in the 15 pound range will take at least 18 hours this way, but so worth it.
I trim the heck out of my briskets too. I leave maybe 1/2" of the fat cap, but dig in and trim as much as I can otherwise, including removing the 'silver skin'. I season with either Montreal Steak Seasoning or just course rock salt and ground pepper.
When the brisket comes out, it is so tender and moist, it jiggles like a jello mold. I use oak but lately been experimenting and found pecan to be a little milder and not so much tannin flavor as oak. Mesquite is good, but strong, so use less.

Cheers!
Oh, my smoker is a Cookshack SM025, retails for around $900. Good size for the homeowner.
I used pecan after my brother suggested it, and we really like it. The Traeger pellets are mostly oak anyway but the pecan touch definitely adds. I’m originally from central TX where post oak is king for BBQ.

This crazy large brisket only took 12 hours set at 250 (mostly 240) to get to 203-206, soft and jiggly. Almost overdid it! Costco USDA prime whole packer - I read somewhere they cook faster than expected. The flat even was quite marbled. So we had brisket for lunch instead of dinner.

Traeger ran like a champ overnight, very even temp. My stupid Bluetooth temp monitor app crashes every 2 hours though so I can’t count on alarms if something goes wrong while I’m sleeping. But at least the smoker was very reliable.

I think I’ll try Montreal Steak Seasoning next time. I love it on our steaks!

Last edited:
I used pecan after my brother suggested it, and we really like it. The Traeger pellets are mostly oak anyway but the pecan touch definitely adds. I’m originally from central TX where post oak is king for BBQ.

This crazy large brisket only took 12 hours set at 250 (mostly 240) to get to 203-206, soft and jiggly. Almost overdid it! Costco USDA prime whole packer - I read somewhere they cook faster than expected. The flat even was quite marbled. So we had brisket for lunch instead of dinner.

Traeger ran like a champ overnight, very even temp. My stupid Bluetooth temp monitor app crashes every 2 hours though so I can’t count on alarms if something goes wrong while I’m sleeping. But at least the smoker was very reliable.

I think I’ll try Montreal Steak Seasoning next time. I love it on our steaks!
I did a brisket over Thanksgiving and also followed Franklin's methods. Also bought the brisket at Costco. Post Oak and just salt and pepper for me. Worked like a champ and beats standing in line at Franklin's for 6 hours. [emoji2]

I did a brisket over Thanksgiving and also followed Franklin's methods. Also bought the brisket at Costco. Post Oak and just salt and pepper for me. Worked like a champ and beats standing in line at Franklin's for 6 hours. [emoji2]
The whole Franklin BBQ phenomenon is something that happened after we left Austin.

I forgot to attach the link in my other post. This article conveniently collects the main Franklin brisket tutorial videos and has some notes from the videos. Plus a few other comments. https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/smoking-your-first-brisket/

The whole Franklin BBQ phenomenon is something that happened after we left Austin.

I forgot to attach the link in my other post. This article conveniently collects the main Franklin brisket tutorial videos and has some notes from the videos. Plus a few other comments. https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/smoking-your-first-brisket/

Yep. There's now a whole phenomenon of different barbecue places around Austin where people stand in line for hours. Franklin was just the first. Sorry, nothing's that good, especially in the heat of August, although you can actually pay people to stand in line for you (or at least you could at one time). Or, put another way, I can drive out to Llano, eat at Coopers, and drive back home in less time than I'd spend in line. :)

That link is helpful - I used the same videos, but found them one at a time on youtube. Nice to see somebody's placed links to all of the videos all one page. Aaron Franklin also has an online course at masterclass.com (for $), along with other chefs...

Or, put another way, I can drive out to Llano, eat at Coopers, and drive back home in less time than I'd spend in line. :)
There ya go!

That link is helpful - I used the same videos, but found them one at a time on youtube. Nice to see somebody's placed links to all of the videos all one page. Aaron Franklin also has an online course at masterclass.com (for $), along with other chefs...
Aaron Franklin has another series done for PBS that is about Central Texas BBQ in general. He interviews several famous area BBQ masters, visits their establishments, talks about the history of Central Texas BBQ, BBQ culture in general. I think one episode has him building an offset smoker out of an abandoned tank. It’s super well done.

BBQ with Franklin PBS: https://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

Looks like there are more episodes! I’ll have to catch up.

Last edited:
There ya go!

Aaron Franklin has another series done for PBS that is about Central Texas BBQ in general. He interviews several famous area BBQ masters, visits their establishments, talks about the history of Central Texas BBQ, BBQ culture in general. I think one episode has him building an offset smoker out of an abandoned tank. It’s super well done.

BBQ with Franklin PBS: https://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-episodes/

Looks like there are more episodes! I’ll have to catch up.

Yep, I've streamed the whole thing online on PBS's streaming service. Great show!

Tried the Masterbuilt for a while and it was mediocre at best. Convenience is the only positive thing about them.

I've returned to the horizontal offset and will likely stay here. Just no beating the bark formation. Makes for a long day, but so worth it. Using Montreal seasoning and added paprika & coffee dusting. Just started this 17lb prime from Sam's @ 4:30 today. The last one I did was smoked for 7-8 hrs, then wrapped for another 5. Took off at 203 degrees.

Using pecan chunk (small branch from our tree), maple, cherry, oak and walnut from the lumber scraps.

Attachments

• IMG_20201220_042121.jpg
    IMG_20201220_042121.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom