Remodeling

How often a home needs remodeling is a product of how up to date the home was when it was built. Some homes are of standard trim, and some have highline trim doors, cabinetry, appliances, flooring and bathroom fixtures ahead of their time.

Homes built with "contractor grade" materials might warrant an 8 year remodel.

We were in our last house 10 years, and it was built to standard trim levels. I repainted the bedrooms and put new carpets in the bedrooms. I also replaced vinyl tile in the main bedroom bath with 58 cent per square foot ceramic tile--total cost $138. For $1.5K, we had the house in completely new condition and it sold to the third person that looked at it for list price. It helped greatly that we'd already cleaned out the house completely and had moved into another home. Buyers want completely move in houses with colors they won't have to repaint.

Our new home was a foreclosure in remarkably good condition. And it is a home built of higher level trims including high line lighting, soaring ceilings and a den that's 26 x 48'. We were fortunate to have the cash to buy it, as the credit union just wanted it liquidated. And we're in it for less than new homes half the square footage.

Their appliances were not very high end just high end . To me a stove close to $5000 is high end .
Not even close.
51cd6b5984f9f4d11fe12d0c7ce80714.jpg

$100K USD. Molteni from Electrolux

Not even close.

$100K USD. Molteni from Electrolux

A person would have to be out of their ever-lovin mind. :LOL: Either that, or more likely, they would have to be a whole lot more particular about such appliances than I am. You could buy a whole house for that much in some locations! Including the stove. :D

Here are some houses selling for less than $100K in Springfield, Missouri, for example, a place that is dear to my heart:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Springfield_MO/price-90000-100000

Our pool guy, for what it's worth, told us that most of the homes he services seem to get a remodel every 15 years "and that's when they replace the pool." The house we just bought is 15 years old, but he didn't know that :)

I think "every 8 years" is about how often the housing industry manages to introduce new fashions in kitchens, baths, etc., and then convince people that anything else looks "dated." It's like any other industry, including divorce lawyers: convince people they no longer like what they used to like, and then sit back and take their money.

I have never known anybody to replace their pool maybe He meant resurface .

I have never known anybody to replace their pool maybe He meant resurface .

Yes, generally waterline tile is ready (or is) to fall out, plaster is cracked/gone, and decking needs to be redone. I have two friends here that just "redid" that work at costs between $10 - $15K.

I am at that age when parents die off (although mine died a long time ago). Friends my age all seem to be inheriting money, and using it to remodel houses and go traveling. I mean, what else is there to spend it on.

I would expect that your chef would do that.
You do have a personal chef?

I do . She is in her early 70's and very reliable . She even clips coupons .She does favor the crock pot and the air fryer a little too much but she has had no complaints from the people she serves .If she did she might go on strike .

I am at that age when parents die off (although mine died a long time ago). Friends my age all seem to be inheriting money, and using it to remodel houses and go traveling. I mean, what else is there to spend it on.

My SIL spent about $15 K on a face lift. ;) I think she has some more "work" that needs to be done too!

I'm in the remodel, travel, eat & drink well club too. And step children college expenses.

Blow that dough!

I do . She is in her early 70's and very reliable . She even clips coupons .She does favor the crock pot and the air fryer a little too much but she has had no complaints from the people she serves .If she did she might go on strike .

I'll bet that $100K Molteni does not have an air fryer built in.

It wouldn't fit in my kitchen either.

You buy the stove first, then hire an architect to build a house around it. ;)

Yeah. That'll work.

We have done several rooms over 8 years, but we would not do them again.

The 2 small houses we have lived in were bought from estates and were in poor condition but structurally sound. Both were built around 1955 and never remodeled. I was excited to get a deal and have the chance to fix and paint both of them to what I wanted. I have seen quite a few houses remodeled only to have the new buyers come in and remodel to their needs/wants.

Some additions and remodeling have been done to our house to make them comfortable. There can be some more work to do but nothing that is pressing. It would be a huge waste to do any major remodel to our house when the day comes to sell because it will be knocked down like every other house on the block and a McMansion built in its place.
So we will use the money for travel and experiences instead.

Cheers!

We remodeled about 12 years ago. The house still looks great, but it's in a classic look. Nowadays every "after" is a gray floor, shiplap, white kitchens, big islands. If you are someone who remodels to the Joanna Gaines style today, yes I think in 10 years it will be glaringly out of date.
I had this really, really weird vision when I read your post. In my mind's eye, I saw this picture frame with some words written in script in it saying:
glaringly
OUT OF
date

Our cabinets are now 30 years old. We did replace the flooring 15 years ago. The cabinets, however, are showing a lot of wear.

I did my own laminate countertops 8 years go with faux granite. Looks so much better than the 1980 almond.

But with the wear to the cabinets, it probably is time for an actual kitchen remodel. I feel like we may open pandora's box on the rest of the house though.

Our cabinets are now 30 years old. We did replace the flooring 15 years ago. The cabinets, however, are showing a lot of wear. ...

If the cabinets are structurally sound and the wear is mostly cosmetic and you like your kitchen layout, you might want to look at refacing the cabinets instead of replacing them. The face frames would be refinished and you would get all new doors and drawer fronts and it is much less $$$ than new cabinets.

We considered refacing with our recent winter condo kitchen renovation but we didn't like the layout of our kitchen so we went the new cabinet route. One thing that we did find with new cabinets was that a local cabinet manufacturer was a much better value than buying cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot. Saved thousands.

Last edited:
We bought our home new 6 years ago. I cannot imagine having to remodel in another 2 years given that the finish out is very much the same as what you could buy on the market today brand new. If the house is an older one, yeah, remodeling may be warranted if the kitchen and bathrooms are out of date, flooring upgrade needed, front door, new windows, paint, etc or there is too much wear and tear. The other area I would focus on updating in an older home are the mechanicals: HVAC, roof/gutters, water heater, plumbing fixtures which sometimes are in more need of a refresh.

If the cabinets are structurally sound and the wear is mostly cosmetic and you like your kitchen layout, you might want to look at refacing the cabinets instead of replacing them. The face frames would be refinished and you would get all new doors and drawer fronts and it is much less $$$ than new cabinets.

We considered refacing with our recent winter condo kitchen renovation but we didn't like the layout of our kitchen so we went the new cabinet route. one thing that we did find with new cabinets was that a local cabinet manufacturer was a much better value than buying cabinets from Lowes or Home Depot. Saved thousands.
It is in consideration, but the problem is the layout has also aged and there is a whole lot of sub-optimal flow in the kitchen.

Our first step will probably be to get a designer to give us ideas. We seem boxed in due to the geometry and engineering of the house. I need a different perspective.

I guess that's one reason I'm putting off anything. Pandora's box.

Back
Top Bottom