Resigning from BOD mixed feelings

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm involved with two different boards and thinking of resigning my position on one of them.

I value and I'm very proud of the work that this foundation has done while I have been part of it. I have mixed emotions about leaving the organization which means a lot to me. The meetings and emails etc. are starting to interfere with my new found freedom of retirement. Even thou I have been out of the work force for 4 years now.

There also is a new director and not sure of the ability and if that person can take us to where we need to be.

Maybe, it is just me getting older or other things I love to do more, that my feelings have changed toward the foundation.

I do know that it is my decision to end my time there or to continue on, for a couple more years.

I'm sure there are many out there that have or had the same thing to deal with after retirement. I just needed to talk to tell someone and to hopefully get some responses.

Perfectly normal. You didn't sign up for a lifetime appointment. You might try to get some changes implemented so your personal workflow isn't so demanding, but otherwise you know perfectly well that they will be able to replace you.

I've been where you are now. I'd recommend that you respectfully retire. It took me 5 years to figure it out, you're ahead of me.

Is there is a way to step down from the board but still continue working with the organization in a manner meaningful to you? The reduction in responsibility may give you more free time and still support them.

Just like regular work, you will know when the time is right to leave.
Sounds like you are pretty close.
If you want to stay and contribute to the foundations, maybe there is a way to stay involved without the headache and time of being on the BOD?

Thanks for your replies.

As far as someone else taking my spot on the BOD isn't a problem. I'm sure that person would be much better then I and could do the job way better then I could ever have.

As far as still being able to be part of that foundation and still being a steward for them wouldn't be an issue.

I'm leaning toward stepping away by the end of the year. I maybe be more of an asset from the outside then being in that circle. I want and will continue to support and will always hope for their success.

A hard thing to just walk away from, after years of connection with them. I guess not any different then retiring from a life time job. Just need to do it!

I was on a Board several times over 20 years. Elected with a set term. Somehow my last term got extended to 5 years. Whoo boy that last year & a half was hard. I liked everyone & the CEO. But i was ready.

I have soured on being on an HOA board due to other board members wanting me to do all the work, while they do little and are unwilling or extremely slow to provide input when I ask, as often times consensus is needed. I am leaving after my term expires in a few months and will not seek re-election.

The best volunteer non-profit boards I've been on have term limits, usually a max of 4 years. It keeps the organization healthy. We all burn out, or turn into little tyrants who want the organization just their way. Limits are healthy.

You are self limiting. This is very healthy for you. You should have no guilt.

For 20 years DW's hobby has been nonprofit boards. I couldn't even begin to count the ones where she has been board chair, much less just a member.

One of the things she believes in as a principle is that boards should have term limits. She also believes in it personally as an escape path, so where a board has not had limits she immediately proposes and sells the change.

So @street, you might be able to make a graceful exit (assuming no term limits currently) just by saying that you believe in term limits and you have reached a point where you think new blood should replace you on the board. Then you don't have to touch the electric fences of too much work or the new director.

All great advise and I will be exiting by year end. Thanks!!!

Resign and spend time with loved ones and closest friends. You never know when your time will be up. Make sure you don’t regret not spending your limited time with family and close friends. I know so many people who passed well before they expected. They were always busy doing what others expected and wanted them to do. Then they died....never did get around to full filling the dreams they had. Took me awhile to figure out I already did my part, time for some one else to step up.

I know similar paid union reps, or usual multi-decade members advised their positions could be in threat of being "Gone with the wind" should they attempt to deviate from party policies & guidelines.

Strange, odd & things are changing!

Last edited:
I feel your pain. You have something you want to support and are in a position to affect change or keep the existing high standards, but it gets tiresome sometimes and sometimes it seems like a hamster wheel, repeated issues and/or situations. Whoa, that sounds like work 😉

I tended to be asked to be chair/president after joining 'cuz you seem to be able to get things done.' Sigh. I have a Pareto rule:
20% of the members do 80-90% of the work while the rest skate and enjoy the efforts. If the cause/organization/issue is important enough to you that you would do the work regardless of anyone else, then it is worth it. If not, then time to become one of the 80-90% with brief steps into 20%-land.

Time is all we have and we don't know how much of that we have. I guard mine carefully...

And as others said, term limits, Baby!!!!

Some words of wisdom that are so true. Time is all we really have like many have said, so needs to be used where we are the happiest.

Back
Top Bottom