Retired Folks hanging out at the Shopping Mall and the Library seem sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't hang out in those places if u think people are depressing. Go to the beach or swimming pool instead and hang out with the young chicks in two-piece bikinis or thongs. I'd rather talk to them LOL

Sorry, but the two species do not mingle well. Back when I was one of those "young chicks" you describe, the approach of a 61-year-old man with an eccentric, outspoken personality caused us to do a rapid fade. And wouldn't you know, those men really do approach, with their clip-on sunglasses, bellies, hairy shoulders, and SE grins [the last was my late Dad's phrase].

Plus, even if they will talk to you it isn't much of an interesting conversation. Young people "know" everything, most of it wrong. There's very little common ground for conversation. I recommend just sitting on a bench or a beach chair and looking. From behind sunglasses. They keep things peaceful when DW is with me.

If you want somewhere to pass time and walk around, but in a more uplifting atmosphere, check out your county parks. Chances are several within driving distance, with walking trails, bike trails, plenty to see and do, outside and far healthier.

In VA (where OP is) should be quite seasonal the next couple of months.

I don't think I've been to the mall but once this summer, but I've walked several nature trails.

Hanging out in the library sounds good to me. Libraries are one of my favorite places. I love to just roam the stacks of a good library.

I think it is good that the OP stimulated such a wide-ranging discussion about dealing with being retired. Just today I gave my seat on the bus to a person in need of it. The driver asked how old I was. When I told him, he insisted on finding a seat for me.

I will never do that again! I can stand (even with his driving!) and my tendons are getting better every day. I am back to walking, cycling and pickleball. Looking for partners in extreme Bocce...

... I recommend just sitting on a bench or a beach chair and looking. From behind sunglasses. They keep things peaceful when DW is with me.
:cool:

Eh, we have not been to a mall in a very long time, but I thought that one would only run into the trouble you describe when at a beach, not a mall that old and sad retirees frequent.

PS. Oops, you did say "beach chair". And I also recall that your 2nd home is in a beach city. Now, that explains it.

As I sit in the mall, and look at these sad people I wonder what they may have been in their working life before society and the corporate employers sent them packing. Maybe a bank Vice President, A Lawyer, a Public Relations Executive, a HR Manager. Who knows. But this week they are just killing time.

One of my fears when I decided to FIRE was that I would end up vegetating at home (or wherever) - essentially doing nothing but watching the days go by.

Almost three years in, I realize how misplaced that fear was. Keeping myself physically and mentally active is easier than I thought it would be. There are so many things to do (especially in a big city), I am spoiled for choice. Sometimes, I spend more time deciding what not to do rather than what to do and wish there were more than 24 hours in a day and more than 7 days in a week.

And, sure, some things cost money but there are plenty of low cost or free options - half-priced movies, walks in the country parks, a day at the beach, volunteer activities and all the great things one can do on a computer. The list is endless.

And, yes, I was to some extent married to my job (partner in a big law firm) but I never felt like the job defined me and (absent physical or mental health issues) I fail to see why people resign themselves to doing nothing.

Last edited:
half-priced movies, walks in the country parks, a day at the beach, volunteer activities and all the great things one can do on a computer. The list is endless.
Yes the list of things to do one a computer is growing so we limit our time to 3-4 hours a day. This includes portfolio management and searching for things (like travel planning). The one thing we have discovered in that email is so much more succinct than phone calls. But phone calls are sometimes necessary to maintain a relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom