Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #61
gone traveling

We have a cheap nonprogrammable Eufy that bumps around. Year old. Does us just fine. We call her/him/it Oofy.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As an old guy who uses a broom and dustpan to clean the curb and gutter in front of my house I can't relate to this thread.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had several Roomba's over the past 10+ years and they do an okay job... We still need to pull out the big "sucker" for a deeper cleaning a couple of times a year. It seems like the lifespan is about three years and then something breaks that's not easily fixable so we get another one...(And I'm pretty good at fixing things) However, the last one I bought was a Shark IQ robot with a self emptying base, which really works well... It seems to do about the same job as the Roomba's "so far"... About once a month it gets "confused" and I need to remove the battery to reset its memory... Other than that it works fine. I like them since they don't throw out all the dust particles like the regular vacuums do. The DW likes them so that is what really matters....
Old 11-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I placed a pre-order for the Wyze robot vacuum today. Looking at the features they are promising this vacuum competes with other models selling for at least $400 when they are on sale. I can't find anything even close to offering this set of features in the $200 price range.

They are supposed to ship some time in January. It will be very interesting to see if Wyze can really offer a Lidar based robot vacuum with mapping and smart navigation at a price point that others offer their most basic robot vacuum models for.
Fingers crossed!
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Fingers crossed!
I guess it's returnable if it doesn't work. But they have already charged my credit card for the purchase even though it won't be shipping until January. Is that how these early backer preorders work?
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

My Roomba 960 was a gift and I wasn't sure I was going to like it.

I love him! His name is Homer and he keeps my 1050 square foot condo really clean, hardwood, carpeting, and tile. He does a great job maneuvering around and under the furniture, even climbing over the metal bars of a coffee table frame.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:55 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
As an old guy who uses a broom and dustpan to clean the curb and gutter in front of my house I can't relate to this thread.
As an old gal who has gone to a lot of trouble to clear away anything in my house that I could trip on and fall, I am having a hard time relating, too! I really don't need or want a little Rumba to stumble over or step on and fall flat on my face at this stage in my life. I do think it would have been fun to have one a few years ago.

My Dyson is bigger but also nice and light, and it is just right for me. But it's not robotic.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #68

I recently got a Eufy 25c model and I love it. It was only $130 at Walmart.com (it was twice as much at Amazon). I can work it manually, with the remote or with my smart phone. I thought we were clean people but I am amazed at how much dirt Rosie picks up (named for the robot maid on Jettsons). Rosie is able to go places we could not--under the bed, sofa and dresser, etc. It is fun to watch Rosie go.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I recently got a Eufy 25c model and I love it. It was only $130 at Walmart.com (it was twice as much at Amazon). I can work it manually, with the remote or with my smart phone. I thought we were clean people but I am amazed at how much dirt Rosie picks up (named for the robot maid on Jettsons). Rosie is able to go places we could not--under the bed, sofa and dresser, etc. It is fun to watch Rosie go.
We also named ours Rosey after the Jetson's maid. Great minds think alike.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:22 PM   #70

Mine is named Ramůn. He's my indoor cabana boy
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #71

My Wyze robot vacuum arrived today. This is Wyze’s first entry in the robotic vacuum market. They were taking preorders for early backers in December at an entry price of $199. The vacuum has a LIDAR sensor so that it can navigate in neat rows and avoid obstacles while mapping out the room. Vacuums with similar features typically sell for at least $500.

I’ve only used it once so it’s too early to reach any conclusions, but it worked great in vacuuming our first floor. It created a nice map and found its way back to the charging base without any issues. It’s a little louder than the Eufy robot vacuum we have but otherwise seems to be a very nice vacuum so far.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roomba i3+ placed in service beginning of 2021.
- app setup had a glitch or two with my WiFi
- runs 60-90 minutes without recharging
- not good with fringe on rugs
- creates a map when cleaning completed
- does not map rooms, can't send to a named room
- dirt tank smaller than expected
- instead of clean everywhere command, much simpler to put in a room and push start
- has Home button to send back to charging dock. May get another dock for 2ND floor.

Overall it's a clean machine! Paid $500 or so, with additional warranty. We have a mix of carpet, wood parquet, area rugs, and tiles. So it's a pretty challenging environment, and also shows you why you don't need so much clutter on your floors or under beds.

It sounds like cheaper competition may be a good choice for 2ND floor instead of another charging dock.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a Xiaomi roborock 3 years ago for $284. It has Lidar, so it maps rooms and cleans pretty efficiently. We use it 2-3x per week, on 5000 sq ft of concrete, wood, and carpet). Here are the pro's and con's, as I see it.

pro:
- good job cleaning. No "drunken sailor" action. It's fun to watch the progress with the app.
- very reliable, and cheap replacement parts available

con:
- dust bin is small- needs to be emptied often
- can't easily order zoned cleanup (like "clean the den").
- occasionally gets stuck
- can't leave any cables, wires, etc on the floor, 'cause they get wrapped up

I wish I could hack the voice, so it sounds like Consuela (Family Guy).
I might buy Xiaomi's new vacuum, which has zoned cleanup, and mopping options. Not sure if I would be supporting China's military though.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #74

I replaced an Eufy with the Wyze vacuum and like it much better. Iíve ran it a few times and it gives you a map of the room and where it vacuumed. I can see that it didnít miss any spots and the floors look great. Iím debating if I should get another one for the 2nd floor.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I replaced an Eufy with the Wyze vacuum and like it much better. I’ve ran it a few times and it gives you a map of the room and where it vacuumed. I can see that it didn’t miss any spots and the floors look great. I’m debating if I should get another one for the 2nd floor.
Interesting. I have both the Eufy 30C Max and the Wyze. The Wyze is nice because it has LIDAR and so it can map out a room and navigate in neat rows. But it’s much louder than the Eufy and it gets confused if you try to use it on more than one floor. I feel like the Wyze will get better as they update the software but for now it feels like a V1 product.

I agree the Wyze is a great value at $200. But for now it’s sold out and will likely go up to $249 once they start selling it again.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #76

herbert.jpg
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Interesting. I have both the Eufy 30C Max and the Wyze. The Wyze is nice because it has LIDAR and so it can map out a room and navigate in neat rows. But itís much louder than the Eufy and it gets confused if you try to use it on more than one floor. I feel like the Wyze will get better as they update the software but for now it feels like a V1 product.

I agree the Wyze is a great value at $200. But for now itís sold out and will likely go up to $249 once they start selling it again.

According to Wyze, multiple floors are not supported:

Quote:
Wyze Robot Vacuum only records one floor map at a time. You can move your vacuum to another floor and start a cleaning, but it may try to follow the previous path, and get lost trying to find its way back to the charging station.
https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ltiple-floors-
Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
According to Wyze, multiple floors are not supported:

https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ltiple-floors-
Thanks. I thought I read during the presales pitch that multiple floors would be supported. They just need to incorporate those features into a software update. If I erase the map it does work fine on a second floor though.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #79

I bought a Roomba i6+ on Amazon and it just finished its first "vacuum everywhere" command. The i6+ is essentially the same as the i7+ but is unique to Amazon. I think the differences are that it's gray instead of black on top, and it doesn't come with spare parts, bags, filters or brushes. The "plus" in the name refers to the charging base that includes a vacuum that sucks the dirt out of the robot into a disposable bag. It was $550 on sale instead of $800 for the i7+ at Best Buy. Blow that dough!

Anyway, I was pretty impressed. It automagically maps up to 10 floor plans so that should work just fine as I only have two floors. The first day after I did the initial mapping run when it worked hard exploring the house and raising clouds of dust I customized the map by adjusting the room dividers it had guessed at (which were sorta OK) and named each room. I also figured out that while it can eventually manage to get around dining chairs it did a lot of bumping and twirling so next time I put the chairs up on the table restaurant-style.

It vacuums each room in a rational pattern, "mowing the lawn," and the pattern is supposed to get better as it learns the house. It worked on one room at a time and as it finished each room it ran around the walls of that room for its final pass. It even did the same thing around the edges of furniture within the room.

The main floor of our house is around 1700 sf (the robot reported exactly how much it cleaned but for the life of me I can't find it again in the app). It took 5 hours and 12 minutes total, including stopping for two recharging sessions of about 1.5 hours each, and going back to empty itself at least 3 or 4 times in addition to that. It's fun to watch it march back home, futz around trying to find exactly where the charging station is, and dock itself. I'm glad I don't have to bend over and manually dump it so often.

Anyway, so far I'm glad I bought it. While not overly loud, the constant whirring got a bit tiresome so I think from now on I'll tell it to do a handful of rooms in any one day. Tomorrow I'll take it downstairs and have it map those rooms. Supposedly, all I have to do is set it down anywhere in the room and hit the "go" button and it will recognize it's in a new space and map it in a separate floor plan.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got 2 older Eufys, Dirty Dan and Dirty Harry. Have a couple of Deebots as well, Sally and Lulu. They are leftovers from a friend who named them.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote