Seeking Advice: The Condo & the Dog From Hell

chrisjul

Dryer sheet aficionado
In preparation for retirement, we are selling the house and have moved to a condo (renting). I have owned homes for 30 yrs, so this is new to me. There is a dog next door that barks often and long, usually during the day, but sometimes as early as 6:00 am...The owner isn't responsive to my requests for control. The condo assn is also unresponsive....I'm not the owner. I do have a lease purchase on the unit but will not buy.

Am I unreasonable to expect quiet? Have any of you faced this type of thing? I have enjoyed the privacy of a home for many years.....this still seems bizarre. Advice appreciated.

Tks in advance,
Chris

In preparation for retirement, we are selling the house and have moved to a condo (renting). I have owned homes for 30 yrs, so this is new to me. There is a dog next door that barks often and long, usually during the day, but sometimes as early as 6:00 am...The owner isn't responsive to my requests for control. The condo assn is also unresponsive....I'm not the owner. I do have a lease purchase on the unit but will not buy.

Am I unreasonable to expect quiet? Have any of you faced this type of thing? I have enjoyed the privacy of a home for many years.....this still seems bizarre. Advice appreciated.

Tks in advance,
Chris

Record the dog barking ad nauseum , then [-]call your neighbor at 2:00AM and play the recording[/-] mail it to your neighbor.

Move and be glad you didn't buy. Tell the owner why. The owner should complain.

Look for a place with concrete walls and floors.

Or you could make it a project and try to be the squeaky wheel. Call the landlord. Call the police. Call the neighbor whenever the dog barks. Call the owners association. Etc.

If want to take the time; find a way to get the dog to bark in the middle of the night - everyone will start to complain, even the owner.

It's a terrible situation (though not as bad as if you owned it) - I recall similar posts here years ago. You've done what you can; I'd keep the pressure up on your landlord. You have a right to "quiet enjoyment" of the property or some term like that. I bet you can break your lease based on that. Maybe the landlord will get more involved if you take that route.

I had a similar situation. After exhausting legal avenues, I sold the condo. Sorry, at least in my area, there's not much you can do in that kind of situation if the noise is "everyday" for the lack of a better word.

Throw the dog a piece of tasty meat with Hot sause and plenty of pepper on it, do it daily.

Or you can blow the dog's and owner's mind by howling along with the dog, dogs hate competition.

Jug

If it's primarily during the day, I'd just chalk it up to community living. I'm sure there is a local noise ordinance for night time though that may be more to your advantage if you wish to pursue it.

But if it doesn't bother anyone else and you're the new guy who's complaining.....

I certainly don't want to sound harsh, but if you're going to live in a condo or apartment, you'll usually find a neighbor that does something to irritate you wherever you go. If you're used to the solitude of a house, it'll be even more irritating. Community living may not be for you.

Yet another reason why I wouldn't be suited to condo living. :(

For me, the main advantage of condo life is not having to deal with yardwork. I'm planning to buy a single family home and hire a gardener. It's another monthly expense, but then so are condo fees.

Yet another reason why I wouldn't be suited to condo living. :(

For me, the main advantage of condo life is not having to deal with yardwork. I'm planning to buy a single family home and hire a gardener. It's another monthly expense, but then so are condo fees.

For me the major advantage to apartment or condo living is relative freedom from break-ins, if one is in a high quality building.

Yardwork and upkeep are a close second though.

Having my stuff stolen is just not appealing to me.

Ha

For me the major advantage to apartment or condo living is relative freedom from break-ins, if one is in a high quality building.

Yardwork and upkeep are a close second though.

Having my stuff stolen is just not appealing to me.

Ha

Good point, and I wouldn't want to have my stuff stolen, either.

The last time I had my stuff stolen was in 1977, and it was so traumatic. My ex and I and daughter-on-the-way had just moved into a duplex in a not-so-good part of San Diego the day before. Those were our "poor as churchmice" days. We hadn't even unpacked the boxes so it was months before we knew what was gone. They left a few random boxes but stole almost everything - - 19" B&W TV, stereo, even my blender, but left the lid. :(

I was going to say that is also an advantage of LBYM but Want2R countered that idea. Even so, I was very disappointed back in '77 when someone broke in while we were on vacation and took nothing. They left that old hand-me-down blender, B&W TV was still plugged in, etc.

Regarding OP, one of the reasons I'm reluctant to move is I'm not bothered by a dog in my current apt. although the neighbors two floors down are trying to get a beautiful dog out because apparently he barks at 1:00 a.m. There could be so much more to find irritating elsewhere. OP, hope you find a solution.

I did have this very thing happen. Young couple moved into the house next door with 3 dogs. She was a pregnant nurse. He was a VP of an S&L. Dogs were out all night. I couldn't sleep as they barked at everything, and I mean everything (i.e., a leaf falling, I think).
This went on for a few months every night. Finally, I was forced for the first time in my life to actually call the Police who went over there at midnight on a worknight and told them to cut it out. I let it go on so long even the Police chewed me out for letting it go on, but, being from the Midwest, I was trying to be "neighborly" and not complain. Can we say "never again."
However, this went on and on and on. The Dispatcher of HPD even said it sounded as if "those dogs are in bed with you." That's how loud they were.
Then--after they would no longer answer their door a few times to the Police and numerous calls to HPD by me--the Police told me they had done all they could, and I HAD to take them to Court to get anything done.
I took them ultimately to Court 3 times (maybe 4). Their fines kept going up each time (i.e., $50, $100, $175). And, finally, they moved out (they were renting).
They were such pigs, which I didn't know until the repairman came to fix their damages, that the yard was so infested with fleas that the poor guy was so eaten up he threw out chemicals to kill the many, many fleas.
And that, dear readers, is the sad story of the only time I have ever had to phone the Police on a neighbor. The end.
Personally, I almost think I would move if I were you. It was stressful on me, I got no sleep hardly many worknights and just was a totally trying experience. Why go thru that? I owned my home, and couldn't move without losing too much money. Life's too short to put up with that. Been there, done that.

A neighbor left their dog at home during the day and the poor thing howled and barked for hours. Our HOA said they could only send a warning letter every two weeks and that if it continued I needed to call "animal control." This, I thought, was really odd because what is an HOA for except to provide some management of the complex to make it a pleasant place for all. Luckily, the neighbor did not leave the dog home after that.

This incident, as well as others unrelated to dogs, have made me question the wisdom of counting on HOAs. Not sure what I'm going to do when/if my townhome sells this spring/summer.

I was going to say that is also an advantage of LBYM but Want2R countered that idea. Even so, I was very disappointed back in '77 when someone broke in while we were on vacation and took nothing. They left that old hand-me-down blender, B&W TV was still plugged in, etc.

Regarding OP, one of the reasons I'm reluctant to move is I'm not bothered by a dog in my current apt. although the neighbors two floors down are trying to get a beautiful dog out because apparently he barks at 1:00 a.m. There could be so much more to find irritating elsewhere. OP, hope you find a solution.

I won't live in a building that allows dogs, and I prefer one that doesn't allow cats either. Since I have given up pets for good, why accept any pet related hassle even second hand?

Ha

Ah, but the dogs solve your thievery problem, Ha! :)
I think my relatively far away neighbors are even a bit close, so I could never survive in a condo or apt. When we lived at the beach, our across the street neighbors would go to the bar after work and forget about their poor hungry dogs,who barked their heads clean off. I finally got a key from them and would let the dogs in and feed them, just for my peace of mind.
Good luck, OP--that is a real dilemma. What about a dog whistle?

I won't live in a building that allows dogs, and I prefer one that doesn't allow cats either. Since I have given up pets for good, why accept any pet related hassle even second hand?

Ha

I'm with ya there Ha. Our pet days are history but if we wanted to have them again it wouldn't be in a condo or apartment. Moving into cramped quarters with the bothersome pets of others makes no sense.

I won't live in a building that allows dogs, and I prefer one that doesn't allow cats either....

I moved into a "cat-ok" building, um, because I had a cat. 15 years later the new owner opened it up to dogs also and a dog that looked like a wolf moved in. Then the new building manager who lives in the next bldg. also has a big dog. I like both dogs but the building owner has been accused of bringing in big dogs to force out the long-term tenants. Didn't work with me; he surrounded me with big dogs but I was born and raised in that brier patch. :LOL:

They were such pigs, which I didn't know until the repairman came to fix their damages, that the yard was so infested with fleas that the poor guy was so eaten up he threw out chemicals to kill the many, many fleas.

I believe the flea issue explains why the dogs barked so much. They were in misery. Years ago, we had a neighbor with 6 collies. The lots in the neighborhood were all 2 acres or more but the caged dog run she kept them in was close to our property. Those dogs barked all the time. Once, one of the dogs wandered into my yard and I had a good look at it. The poor thing had severely matted fur and was clearly not properly cared for. We complained to her, but she was a real nut case and did nothing. Thankfully, she moved out shortly thereafter.

For this reason, it may be a good idea to call animal control and have the case investigated. Some dogs just bark for no apparent reason, but often this level of constant barking indicates the dogs are suffering from neglect or abuse. I volunteer at the local animal shelter and have seen many situations like yours resolved because animal control took custody of severely neglected animals. Often, these cases come to their attention due to complaints. Try to observe the condition of the dog and the level of care it receives. If it is not receiving the minimum level of care, chances are the owners are in violation of your local animal laws. If you do observe anything indicating inadequate care, report this to animal control. Getting that dog out of an neglectful or abusive situation would be doing it a big favor.

You would be shocked by how many "nice people" have animals that are infested with fleas and other parasites, improperly groomed to the point they are in agony, and are not provided with basic food, water and shelter. Often the owners are just "too busy" to care for them. No wonder these pitiful animals create a neighborhood nuisance.

If neglect or abuse is not causing the barking, chances are the dog is simply bored and lonely during the day when left alone. This is why people hire day time dog walkers. If this is the case, chances are the owner is not in violation and the best solution is to keep up the complaints and, if all else fails, move.

Ha

It seems most buildings allow pets now, when traveling we can't seem to find a Motel that does NOT allow dogs.

We do not have\like pets and do not want to stay in a motel where pets were kept the night before. We have actually refused to stay at a motel that allows pets but it seems most do now, so we have given up.

Jim

It seems most buildings allow pets now, when traveling we can't seem to find a Motel that does NOT allow dogs.

We do not have\like pets and do not want to stay in a motel where pets were kept the night before. We have actually refused to stay at a motel that allows pets but it seems most do now, so we have given up.

Jim

Jim, the trend seems to be for more hotel/motels to forbid smoking but allow pets. Perhaps they should have "no pet rooms" for folks like you. I can see how it could be a problem, particularly for those with pet allergies.

I love pets, but only have cats that don't go outside. They are quiet and never disturb our neighbors. I keep them in good health and am fastidious about keeping our home clean. I never want someone to walk into my home and instantly say "Oh, you have cats";) When we travel, we hire a pet sitter.

So, while I love pets, I sure understand why many people prefer not to have them and don't want to put up with the noise and mess of other people's animals. The problem often boils down to irresponsible pet owners who don't respect the rights of others.

Jim

Exactly my thoughts around motels with smoking rooms..

We have a small dog that we take with us everywhere - unfortunately, we are often given smoking rooms (yuck) when we book a room with our dog.

With regard to the OP, having lived in a condo for about 15 years, I would first call your landlord, next, the management person (they are there to prevent you from confronting your neighbors directly). If that doesn't work, I would write a letter to the board of directors.

Purron, I agree with you that the poor dogs were probably in misery from the fleas. Personally, I regard that as animal cruelty. It surely wasn't the poor dogs fault. Those people were supposedly "respectable" people according to the landlord as they both had good jobs, but they were really pigs as people to allow their pets become so infested, which I didn't even know about until they left and the construction guy told me about it.
I've always wondered what kind of parents they were, since they were so uncaring, obviously, about the health and welfare of their 3 dogs.

Back
Top Bottom