Six months into retirement

madsquopper

Recycles dryer sheets
Couldn't be better; it's working out just about as expected. Lots more time for the activities/hobbies I've always done, plus added golf now that I can play during the week and not have to wait on the course. Also more time for reading and exercising. We've done a fair amount of traveling (a bit too much, perhaps) and next year will slow that down a bit. Haven't missed working at all, even though I enjoyed it, and haven't really changed spending habits significantly (we're both relatively frugal and I also made sure to start with a good sized nest egg).

Biggest advice I'd have for prospective retirees is to make sure your savings/income matches your spending (with a cushion so you don't have to worry much, if at all) and to have a reasonable amount of interests to fill your time with, even if it's just binge watching your favorite TV or cable series. Also do what you need to do to stay healthy

Larry

Thank you Larry for posting. I am getting closer and closer and really appreciating from people that have retired recently.

Nice update, Larry! It's posts like this from members that help those on the fence make the leap to the ER zone - thanks!

Biggest advice I'd have for prospective retirees is to make sure your savings/income matches your spending (with a cushion so you don't have to worry much, if at all)
Good advice!

Also do what you need to do to stay healthy
Worth trying. Not always under one's control.

Couldn't be better; it's working out just about as expected. Lots more time for the activities/hobbies I've always done, plus added golf now that I can play during the week and not have to wait on the course. Also more time for reading and exercising. We've done a fair amount of traveling (a bit too much, perhaps) and next year will slow that down a bit. Haven't missed working at all, even though I enjoyed it, and haven't really changed spending habits significantly (we're both relatively frugal and I also made sure to start with a good sized nest egg).

Biggest advice I'd have for prospective retirees is to make sure your savings/income matches your spending (with a cushion so you don't have to worry much, if at all) and to have a reasonable amount of interests to fill your time with, even if it's just binge watching your favorite TV or cable series. Also do what you need to do to stay healthy

Larry
Good advice, especially the last line!

Congrats!

It's the best isn't it?

It's a new freedom and new happiness that is kind of hard to describe!

I do appreciate getting updates from those who have recently crossed-over.

I’m in the same boat. Retired 7 months ago, and I have no regrets. My wife has a number of health issues, and so it has been great to have the time to be there for her in a way that I couldn’t when I was working.

I’ve enjoyed waking up without an alarm clock, not worrying about finishing something by a certain time or day because there’s always tomorrow, and the simple freedom of controlling my time.

My biggest fear about retirement was that I would quickly become bored. That hasn’t been the case. I have more to do than I seem to have time to get done. I do find that planning my week ahead of time helps me to get the things done that I really care about, including planning my recreation. I wake up and have something to look forward to each day.

I haven’t missed work in the slightest. I was at the barber a few years ago, and the person ahead of me had recently retired. He mentioned that he was surprised at how quickly he left that world (of work) behind – almost as if it was never a part of his life. I couldn’t relate then, but I can now. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there are people who get up early each morning, fight the traffic, and sit in a cubicle all day, even though I did that for 33 years.

I’m a diabetic, and had a heart attack 8 years ago. My most recent physical was my best ever – A1C was low, all of the other numbers looked good. I know that lower stress and physical wear and tear have made a big difference in my overall health.

Bottom line – if you are close to pulling the trigger, and are wondering whether to make the move, do it.

I’m in the same boat. Retired 7 months ago, and I have no regrets. My wife has a number of health issues, and so it has been great to have the time to be there for her in a way that I couldn’t when I was working.

I’ve enjoyed waking up without an alarm clock, not worrying about finishing something by a certain time or day because there’s always tomorrow, and the simple freedom of controlling my time.

My biggest fear about retirement was that I would quickly become bored. That hasn’t been the case. I have more to do than I seem to have time to get done. I do find that planning my week ahead of time helps me to get the things done that I really care about, including planning my recreation. I wake up and have something to look forward to each day.

I haven’t missed work in the slightest. I was at the barber a few years ago, and the person ahead of me had recently retired. He mentioned that he was surprised at how quickly he left that world (of work) behind – almost as if it was never a part of his life. I couldn’t relate then, but I can now. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there are people who get up early each morning, fight the traffic, and sit in a cubicle all day, even though I did that for 33 years.

I’m a diabetic, and had a heart attack 8 years ago. My most recent physical was my best ever – A1C was low, all of the other numbers looked good. I know that lower stress and physical wear and tear have made a big difference in my overall health.

Bottom line – if you are close to pulling the trigger, and are wondering whether to make the move, do it.

Precisely

Pretty much the same here after 2 1/2 years.

Back
Top Bottom