Sports car?

Well maybe not a station wagon but there are a few very high performance SUV's (the station wagons of today) that can fill the bill.

As I've told people many times, try out one of them and it will put a smile on your face. My current "stock" SUV will do 0 to 60 in 4 sec, 1/4 mile in 12.5 sec, has a top speed well over 160 mph, seats 5, can carry a ton of stuff, with AWD it handles great, very comfortable and easy to get in and out of, and has just about every creature comfort option you might want. Ok, maybe not as cool looking as Corvettes but it works for me.

That's the kind I'm getting next year (similar specs). Seriously looking forward to it!

Well maybe not a station wagon but there are a few very high performance SUV's (the station wagons of today) that can fill the bill.

As I've told people many times, try out one of them and it will put a smile on your face. My current "stock" SUV will do 0 to 60 in 4 sec, 1/4 mile in 12.5 sec, has a top speed well over 160 mph, seats 5, can carry a ton of stuff, with AWD it handles great, very comfortable and easy to get in and out of, and has just about every creature comfort option you might want. Ok, maybe not as cool looking as Corvettes but it works for me.

I'm friends with a few of the SRT engineers, and they claim the Trackhawk is by far the most impressive vehicle they make. They like the Hellcat and Demon, but say you sit in a Challenger and expect it to be fast. They say the Trackhawk, you sit up high, nice and comfy, like a normal SUV, and then you punch it and it goes like a rocket.

Kind of a funny thing about sports cars . The older antiques are nice and not a lot of them around , unfortunately they do break down . but usually easy to fix. The new ones usually cost an arm and a leg and then insurance eats your lunch. I know it is only money. The Miata is a fantastic roadster , nice power Japanese quality , and cheap to drive . Also really good on the eyes , something like a throwback to the real sports cars. I want a car that I can throw into turns , dependable and simple . As I have said before why have a car that can go 150 MPH when you mostly drive it no more than 70MPH . To me the true sports cars , the Jags , Triumphs , MG's were so much fun .

I'm friends with a few of the SRT engineers, and they claim the Trackhawk is by far the most impressive vehicle they make. They like the Hellcat and Demon, but say you sit in a Challenger and expect it to be fast. They say the Trackhawk, you sit up high, nice and comfy, like a normal SUV, and then you punch it and it goes like a rocket.
Unfortunately the Trackhawks, at ~100k a pop, are still special order vehicles and very few are out there so far. It's looks like the general allocations will start making it to the dealers lot's early next year. Until then, I'll just "get by" with my SRT. :)

Last edited:
To me the true sports cars , the Jags , Triumphs , MG's were so much fun .

Until they were not fun. I had a 68 MGB and an early 70's Jensen Healy. Both were equipped with Lucas electrical systems, notably named "The Prince of Darkness". The MG was the more reliable of the two though.

Never much into cars. Motorcycles were my thing. Last and best was a GL1800 Goldwing. For retirement I bought a Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab, Duramax and an Oliver travel trailer to drag behind it. For the investment I could have bought the Viper I always thought I wanted.

Yes , my friends with the MG's always liked them because they thought they were a better car . There is nothing like driving a true sports car on the three twisted sisters in Texas . We have enjoyed in on our bikes . There is a guy out there that rents MG's and Triumphs for the day to run the sisters . To come out of the first mountain high hill and hit the turn on the bottom is great . Lots of shifting and not real high speeds but high fun.

When I went to get out of my friend's sports car yesterday I noticed the difference from getting out of our Outback.

This is why we'll probably sell the Honda Accord long before we have to. Normally we buy new and "drive it 'til the wheels fall off" but the Honda is getting harder and harder to get in and out of. Especially out of. I do like the way it handles but that's in large part because it sits so low to the ground.

When we sell it somebody's gonna get a great deal on the car because DW puts most of the miles on it and she drives like the proverbial "little old lady who only drove it on Sundays." Well, she drives a bit more often than that but it has been known to stay in the garage for days at a time.

but then we think about the pain getting in and out. Younger was better :D

+1
A friend of mine has a BMW i8. He is a bigger guy and the door opening to the car barely fits him. He positions himself next to it and just rolls in, and then sorts out all of his parts to fit once he is in the seat... every day, every time. Getting out is another story. He's in his 30's :LOL:

This is why we'll probably sell the Honda Accord long before we have to. Normally we buy new and "drive it 'til the wheels fall off" but the Honda is getting harder and harder to get in and out of. Especially out of. I do like the way it handles but that's in large part because it sits so low to the ground.

When we sell it somebody's gonna get a great deal on the car because DW puts most of the miles on it and she drives like the proverbial "little old lady who only drove it on Sundays." Well, she drives a bit more often than that but it has been known to stay in the garage for days at a time.

I think the new Volvo V60 is going to be a short timer. My last 2 Volvos were over 300k miles. Last one was a SUV. The V60 is a low slung wagon. As I'm in it more day to day I'm noticing how hard it is to get in/out. We'll see if I get slimmer/younger in the next few years. Otherwise...another Overseas Delivery!

If you want to see something funny , there is a video on you tube of how to seat yourself in a Corvette. If you look at used Corvettes all of them have a worn spot on the outside top of the drivers seat . Where people grab to pull themselves in . Also the steering columns wheel have a knuckle that wears because of the stress of pulling yourself in .

If you want to see something funny , there is a video on you tube of how to seat yourself in a Corvette. If you look at used Corvettes all of them have a worn spot on the outside top of the drivers seat . Where people grab to pull themselves in . Also the steering columns wheel have a knuckle that wears because of the stress of pulling yourself in .

Something like this - I've worn out the stitching where I grab the seat to catapult myself out of the car.

Attachments

• corvette seat.jpg
    corvette seat.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 23
It looks like Pontiac Solstices/ Saturn Skys are going very cheap. I've always found Miatas a little tight for my frame but the GM roadsters weren't a bad fit.

There's one in my area on CarGurus with less than 50K miles for $8900.

I’m not bald or an old guy but pre midlife I bought a Porsche Cayman. Still have it, it’s fun to drive but I don’t feel very safe because it seems like I’m surrounded by huge SUVs.
I drive my Ford Edge more!

There are 25 pages of replies so maybe this has been covered. "Sports car" is an ill defined term but a VW R might fit the bill. Very fast, reasonably safe (in terms of modernity), 4dr, practical and awd. bit of a sleeper though but hey it would walk all over tons of the others.

There are so many nice cars out there The Miata's are cool the Pontiac Solstace and Saturn Skye's are nice do they have a hard top for those ? . But all I want is a Fiat 500 Abarth . Not expensive , not worth much but drive like a go cart.

Back
Top Bottom