The Class of 2014

Now I am starting to hear of faux "firing for performance"

That happened to a friend of mine. The company promised x months notice and a generous severance package for the people who would be laid off, as they were merging with another company.

My friend got fired for overall poor "performance" one day out of the blue, shortly after getting a good written annual review and a five figure merit bonus, on top of many years of all good reviews and bonuses. He had to get an attorney and threaten to sue for the original severance agreement.

Today is my last day at work. Calling it a work day is rather generous. It's more of a, say goodbye, long lunch, leave early day.

I'm joining you Gozer! :dance:

OK, y'all can mark #62 on the list OFFICIALLY EARLY RETIRED! Today is my last day as a career gal, age 59. Not a early as I would have liked but I've been working part-time for the last 17 years so it's like I've been "practicing" for a long time!:cool:

I gave 2 weeks' notice in mid-November and was asked to stay until the end of January. I negotiated my 1/2 time job down to 8 hours a week, so it hasn't been that burdensome. Still, my time was never completely my own and I'm really excited about being free from the stress and obligations of work. Plus, my transition to a new person has worked out beautifully and I'm already hired back for one project at an hourly rte which is fine with me. I just don't want ongoing duties that tie me down.

I set up monthly distributions equal to what I was earning, and with my husband's Federal pension (he ER'ed 3 years ago at age 55) we are starting out with distributions of 2.3% of total retirement savings. Half are inside IRAs and half outside, and I'll be able to tap the IRA stuff toward the end of this year. I'd like to take more as we have no children and want to die with $20 in our savings, but we'll start out with what we've been comfortably able to live on and see how it goes. For the past 3 years we've been traveling about 40% of the time, mostly in a trailer but with one big international trip per year. We are pretty thrifty, own our home, living where there is no state income tax, and DH is a good do-it-yourselfer. We bought a sailboat and ski in the winter on $350 season passes, so we live a good life without a ton of extravagance. Unlike other ER Forum folks that have been posting about most of them buy new cars and replace them every 3-5 years, we buy slightly used vehicles and keep them for 200,000 miles so we've got that covered for a long time.

Of course, the month I retire the stock market heads down! :facepalm: Yes, we did very well the past couple years but it would be a little less scary if the market was going up instead of down.

It's official - soon to be new member of the class of 2014

My last working day after 40 years of full time employment will be February 28 so I will be officially joining the class of 2014. Paperwork is signed. It didn't happen the way I expected but I am coming out about $100k ahead with a package offered by employer. I would not have received anything had I announced by retirement after collecting my 2013 bonus next month.

They might have done me another favor considering I may have been a victim of OMY syndrome with the direction the market is headed lately. I am really not too concerned because I have planned for this day for a long time, and heck, they just funded my health care costs for DW and I till we both reach Medicare age.

It is really strange, now that it is a done deal, I just wish they would cut me loose now. It is hard to concentrate, the serious problems and drama are of no importance to me anymore. I used to live and breath for this company.

Eighteen working days left and counting them down. Maybe I will call in sick the last day. I never did that one time my entire life and I am probably due.

Number 44 is official as of 1/24! I've been 'working' at getting ACA signup done, and have been meeting with a lot of old work buddies that want to know my secrets, hehe!

Congratulations to those escaping in February and already retired! :dance:

@ Tom 52 getting your health care funded until Medicare eligible ...Wow! That is worth a fortune! I am budgeting so much for health care, and still worry it won't be enough. :(

I am #82 and October feels like 100 years away. :(

Just getting through January felt like a marathon and I used to run marathons. I have hit the wall and I have eight months left...sigh...

Spoke to management yesterday and informed them of intention to RE this year. No specific date discussed, that's to come. But, a good first conversation overall. Will be interesting to see how it's received further up the chain.

My lump-sum annual leave was posted Monday. They took 42% in taxes out of it, ouch. My TSP Rollover was also completed on Monday. I received 150 commission free trades from Schwab over the next 6 months due to the amount. Diversification gradually is the plan.

No word from OPM yet. As I retired mid-month as a FER's my first interim should be March 1. I am hoping to hear something in the next week. I guess OPM is hit or miss. One retiree, Dec 28, has already been processed and finalized, another, Dec 31, called and found out the NFC hadn't sent his paperwork to OPM yet after 5 weeks. Both were from the same agency, mine.

I've got my fingers crossed.

On my way... 3 month notice given today. Feels pretty good.

Hi Kaufman...I retired the same day as you and my annual leave was deposited on Monday, also. I received two letters in the mail from OPM this week. One had my OPM account number, the other a pin to login into my account. You should be getting the letters any day I think. I have not heard from TSP about OPM verifying my retirement. When they do, I need to fax my paperwork to TSP start my monthly allotments. That's what my HR said to do.

It's been almost one month. And it has flown by. I am still adjusting, and I imagine you are, too. I don't miss work at all.

Last edited:
The contingencies are now gone on our house sale. Once we finish escrow I give my 2 weeks notice and I'm out.

Hi Kaufman...I retired the same day as you and my annual leave was deposited on Monday, also. I received two letters in the mail from OPM this week. It's been almost one month. And it has flown by. I am still adjusting, and I imagine you are, too. I don't miss work at all.

Work? What was that?

I think once I get notification my packet is recieved and being processed I can rest a little easier.

On TSP, I logged into my account and checked on the withdrawal button. I noticed the buttons for in service withdrawal no longer worked and the partial/full withdrawal after retirement were highlighted and worked. They were fast processing my roll-over.

I plan live within a budget based upon my monthly retirement income. Based on my agency estimates it is doable. But I really won't know until I get the final OPM numbers.

I'll look to do 72T for extra funds. I am hoping to hold off until next year.

I'll look to do 72T for extra funds. I am hoping to hold off until next year.
I got the 'Payment Rights Notice' from Aon Hewitt (401k provider) telling me what my options are. Tons of fine print, but I found what I was expecting "The 10% additional income tax does not apply to ... Payments made after you separate from service if you will be at least age 55 in the year of separation". So no 72T required for me!

Please add me to the class of 2014. I retired on January 17 at age 54. I was with the company for 33+ years. It was a good ride for the first 25, but the last 8 were a challenge. In the end it worked out fine and I felt appreciated. We are now living in an RV full time roaming around the country. We have a home base in Missouri, but that is just for storage and to be close to kids and grand kids for a few weeks at a time. 2 weeks in and I am a very happy man.

Haven't added myself to the list yet. Don't want to jinx myself. Dividends are now comfortably higher than living expenses and will be even more so by years end.

I'd probably give my notice in September, so I still have time to chicken out. More and more I am struck at how fleeting our lives are. Certainly not long enough to be miserable at work.

One more update:

1. HeatherB - 2013
2. Retire2013 - 2013
3. Ronstar - Apr-2014
4. akck - Dec 31, 2013 last day of work, Jan 1, 2014 1st day of ret.
5. Redbugdave - Jan-2014
6. sbwitte - Jan-2014
7. debster747 - Jan-2014
8. Coaster - Aug-2014
9. rodi - H - Jan-2014 - DONE!!!
10. Ozstache - 2013
11. Unpaintedhuffhines - Jan-2014
12. Cassie - Jan-2014
13. gozer - Jan-2014
14. BizzyC - Apr-2014 OMM
15. foxfirev5 - Feb-2014 ?
16. Meadbh - Mar-2014
17. nun - Mar-2014
18. brewer12345 - Jan-2014
19. Lagniappe - Apr-2014
20. Hawk50s - Apr-2014
21. jimbee - Apr-2014
22. Dakotah - May-2014
23. christian_n - Jun-2014
24. fh2000 - Jun-2014
25. FreeAtLast - Jun-2014
26. scrinch - Jun-2014
27. 02camp - Jun-2014
28. Huston55 - Jun-2014
29. FIREd - W - Jun-2014
30. jollystomper - Jun-2014
31. photoguy - Jun-2014
32. linny727 - Jun-2014
33. obgyn65 - Jun-2014
34. Nomad4hire - Jun-2014
35. powlusr - Jun-2014
36. WhoDaresWins - Jul-2014
37. Grainiac - Aug-2014
38. ER Eddie - Sep-2014
39. hakuna matata - Oct-2014
40. FLD3C - Oct-2014
41. SecondCor521 - Nov-2014
42. hakuna matata - W - Dec-2014
43. Turn_the_Page - Dec-2014 Maybe earlier in the year
44. sengsational - 2014
45. Amethyst - Jan-2014
46. Masquernom - Jun 2014 possible 2013
47. Difficultrun - Apr 2014
48. pinejake May-2014
49. bjorn2bwild - Apr-2014
50. howdidigetthisold - Dec-2014
51. Grigori - Apr-2014
52. Andre1969 - Apr-2014
53. In-control - Jun-2014 ?
54. Kaufmanrider - Jan-2014
55. Theseus - Jul-2014
56. annienz - Feb-2014 for sure
57. Nomad4hire - Jan or May-2014
58. Rena - 2014
59. Sittingduck - Mar-2014
60. poorcarver - Jan-Apr-2014
61. palomalou - May-2014
62. CherylGrrl - Jan-2014
63. Snowcat - Jun-2014
64. ChaseIt - Jan-2014
65. Tailgate - Jan-2014
66. Vudu Beer - Apr-2014
67. Vudu Beer - W - Apr-2014
68. Wds0410 - Feb-2014
69. Wds0410 - W - Feb-2014
70. Singletrack - Jan-2014
71. PRSC - Jan-2014
72. dawdmorgan - Jan-2014
73. martyb - SOMETIME in 2014
74. Dcharles - Last work day Dec 31, 2013 - Jan-2014
75. aim-high - -2014
76. Corporateburnout - Jun-2014
77. Buck2520 - Jan-2014
78. cinman2000 - July 2014
79. ragabnh - Jul-2014
80. Jackanory - Jan-2014
81. Cassie - Jan-2014
82. Doxiemama - October 14, 2014
83. Chris M - Jan-2014
84. Dog - Apr, Jun or Dec-2014
85. 6miths - Mar, Apr-2014
86. jimbo14 - Jan-2014
87. mschipa - Jan-2014
88. meperki - Jan-2014
89. campcrew - Mar-2014
90. Jgot - H - Mar-2014
91. PERSonalTime - Jan-2014
92. tbilltubbs - Apr-2014
93. ER2CR - Aug-2014
94. ktmissouri - Jan-1024
95. Tom52 - Feb-2014

Congrats to all!

Haven't added myself to the list yet. Don't want to jinx myself. Dividends are now comfortably higher than living expenses and will be even more so by years end.

I'd probably give my notice in September, so I still have time to chicken out. More and more I am struck at how fleeting our lives are. Certainly not long enough to be miserable at work.

SK-

I know precisely how you feel. My mother's death last year changed my perspective on life, putting me pretty much in the place you described above.

As many here have noted for themselves, my BS bucket is full. For me, my mother's death and FI seem to have shrunk my BS bucket. So, I'm trying each day to look forward and be positive. Time is short, make the most of it.

My lump-sum annual leave was posted Monday. They took 42% in taxes out of it, ouch. My TSP Rollover was also completed on Monday. I received 150 commission free trades from Schwab over the next 6 months due to the amount. Diversification gradually is the plan.

No word from OPM yet. As I retired mid-month as a FER's my first interim should be March 1. I am hoping to hear something in the next week. I guess OPM is hit or miss. One retiree, Dec 28, has already been processed and finalized, another, Dec 31, called and found out the NFC hadn't sent his paperwork to OPM yet after 5 weeks. Both were from the same agency, mine.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Good luck with OPM... I heard from them last week but the phone number they stated doesn't seemed to be working. They sent a temp password, but no claim number to get into the website. I'll have to sort this out later this week.

Good luck with OPM... I heard from them last week but the phone number they stated doesn't seemed to be working. They sent a temp password, but no claim number to get into the website. I'll have to sort this out later this week.

Cassie...You will get your claim number in a separate envelop. It took about three or four days for it to come. As a safety measure they are not together. Once you get it and log in, you will immediately have to change the password to something you like. Hang in there.

Life is good!

Received a notice from my pay center, National Finance Center, that on Feb 4, 2014 they sent my Individual Retirement Record to OPM. Appears to be on time as being FERS and retiring mid month (Jan 11) my first interim would not be due until March 1.

TSP Roll-over went very smooth and fast. TSP is efficient.

@ Redbugdave & Kaufmanrider

Thanks for the replies, when I get back from my New Orleans retirement celebration, the claim number will most likely be in the mail. I plan to make a 1x withdrawal from my TSP, I hope that goes smoothly. Looking forward to my 2nd check in March, I think I'm going to have more $$$ than I thought. That's a good thing as I want more $$$ in my Emergency Fund.

Last edited:
I had a small deposit into my checking account, banks are closed so I can't check until tomorrow. I know OPM makes adjustment, however, I thought that was only the first of the month. I really must sign up for online access to my account :) Still waiting for the claim #

Back
Top Bottom