The Class of 2014

oops--looking back through this thread I see I put Oct 2, 2015 and I meant 2014!!! Big difference. My wife got her final date set now too Dec 28, 2014 and with good planning on her vacation she plans on being out of there on Nov 1. The Oct 2 date is my 55th birthday and it just seemed like the right date--nothing is setting it other than that.

With the recent run on the market our numbers look better than ever but we need to get to Dec 28th so she gets her pension. Too close to walk away from that!

I like this thread. It's nice to have a bunch of people in the same boat as you. The shore is a ways a way still, but it's within sight.

I didn't read the thread from the beginning, but it seems like October is a popular month. Is there a specific common motivation in that timing?

ER Eddie you should find an app that figures out your work days left--that is much better than 17 months and 2 weeks. I am retiring a month after you and according to the app on my phone, I have 363 days left. See doesn't that sound more manageable than 18 months and 2 weeks? :dance: I mean it almost makes it sound like less than a year! And it is, in actual working days.

Sengsational for me, October is my birthday month, nothing magical other than that.

With the recent run on the market our numbers look better than ever but we need to get to Dec 28th so she gets her pension. Too close to walk away from that!

Just curious, but will you be rebalancing your portfolio once you retire to lock in any of the recent gains? If not, should we have another crash, will it cause you to reconsider your ER date?

Just curious, but will you be rebalancing your portfolio once you retire to lock in any of the recent gains? If not, should we have another crash, will it cause you to reconsider your ER date?

No we wouldn't reconsider. I am comfortable with retiring right now to be honest but her pension isn't huge but big enough to be a consideration. I also plan on doing some projects after I retire which would bring income in. I am just retiring from feeling 'obligated' to bring money in. As an Architect I can consult and/or just do small project that interest me when I want/need to. The gains are just icing on the cake is how I look at it.

I've been in the 2017 class mentally for awhile, as DW can get early SS then. Some health news recently has us really looking at 2014. We can do it, but it's scary. Amazing how a health scare can readjust your priorities.

May 1, 2014 is my tentative date. I've finally felt comfortable telling my partners this is my plan.
I've found out that the idea of ER is sort of a disease that consumes you once you start thinking abut it.
I am starting to get a creeping short-timers syndrome at work and I'm not entirely sure it is healthy.

I would like to join the class of 2014. My targeted last working day is April 30, 2014.

:dance:

Hi everyone! After some new number crunching and considering the great input here, we are now ER 2014 members, if nothing changes. We want see what changes there will be to HI and how that will impact us. --Nomad

Tentatively planning ER on January 1, 2014. Recently and my "Development Review" with my boss, asking me what I want to do over the next 3-5 years. My response: "um, I really don't want to be here!"

I think I'll be backing out of the class of 2014, or at least backing out of my commitment to retiring in 2014. Here's why, in a nutshell. I made the decision to retire at 53 (2014) because I was really pissed at some things/people in my workplace. I chose that date not because it was the best time for me, but because it was the earliest possible exit. I was pissed, and I wanted to get out as soon as I could.

Well, I've cooled off (only took 6 weeks!), and now I'm seeing less "red." I see things in a more balanced perspective. I know better than to make big, life changing decisions when I'm angry, but it took a while for me to remember that and restore a little balance. So now I'm not angry anymore, my workplace is looking a lot more friendly and tolerable (even enjoyable), and I'm not in such a hurry to find the nearest exit.

I may stick around "one more year," maybe even two. I don't feel in a hurry to get out anymore. Turns out, things looked a lot different when I cooled off. I want to pick my retirement date based on what feels right from a balanced perspective, not have that decision made in anger.

Last edited:
January 3, 2014 is my retirement date, after 38 years as a Federal employee. I'll be 63, so it's not exactly ER. Woo hoo!

As of market close today I exceeded my target number by 10k. Since the plan is to bail April 1 and DW and I will toss in another 85k between now and that date, the market can take a medium-sized dump and I will still be there. If the market keeps cruising, perhaps I can move the date up to 1/1, but not counting any chickens just yet.

I think I'll be backing out of the class of 2014, ....

Scratch that. It didn't take long for me to get fed up with my job again and change my mind. I may change it again later, who knows, but at this point, I'm back in the class of 2014.

Last edited:
I will retire Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2014. My last day of work is really the end of 2013, but I didn't want to make anybody come into work on New Years Eve just for me to turn in my laptop. So my official departure will be the first day or so of the new year.

Much of the programming staff like myself are out the last week or two or three at the end of the year. Just depends on how much vacation we had to put off to get every thing out during the year.

I will retire Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2014. My last day of work is really the end of 2013, but I didn't want to make anybody come into work on New Years Eve just for me to turn in my laptop. So my official departure will be the first day or so of the new year.

Much of the programming staff like myself are out the last week or two or three at the end of the year. Just depends on how much vacation we had to put off to get every thing out during the year.

Congratulations! It will not be long now!

I have been wallowing through some self doubt lately, but last night provided a moment of clarity. My 8YO daughter fell and hit he head ice skating last night and I took her and her sister to the ER (DW was at choir practice and could not be reached). It was a rough night and she had to be sedated to get a CT scan, a process that required me and 4 other adults to hold her down while absorbing punches and kicks. The damage seems to be limited to a concussion only and they tell me she will make a full recovery (she does not remember the wrestling match and wanted to go to school this morning). If this had been a week where I was on the road for business I would have been distraught to say the least.

Self doubt about whether I can do this takes a serious backseat to being there for my kids.

Something like that can really snap things into clarity, can't it. Money ain't everything. I'm glad she's okay.

Back
Top Bottom