The final stretch, and perhaps a new FIRE convert

caninelover

Full time employment: Posting here.
My last day at megacorp is Friday Jan 21st. I am currently training my replacement, and young early 30's young woman. Bright, hardworking, and personable - I believe she will do very well in this role.

She was told at the outset that the incumbent in the position is early retiring. She confessed today that she was shocked when she met me since I didn't even look 50 yet (I am 49 LOL). She said she needed to get on my life plan to hopefully follow my lead someday.

So perhaps I made another FIRE convert in my last few w*rking days!

5 working days left, counting Monday's holiday!

Good job getting your finances in order and becoming retired status at less than 50. Nice that your successor realizes that ER is a good thing. Maybe in the few days left you can give her some helpful advice. Such as joining E-R.org here!

Thanks Ronstar, and yes 38 - will probably give her that as parting advice!

Congrats! And hopefully you've opened the eyes of another potential FIRE candidate!

Congratulations!

On your last day at the grind! BY the time you read this, you'll be retired!

Well done!

^^^^ exciting times and I remember that new free feeling of that first day of retirement very well.
That day will be something you most likely will never forget the feel and smell of freedom.
Have fun!

Thanks all! My last official day is actually tomorrow. Finishing up all my transition today so it's the last 'real' workday. Tomorrow I'll work from home in the morning ( which is really just to be available for any last minute questions). Will head into the office for a couple of hours after lunch to take one last nostalgic walk around, and turn in my stuff. Plan to walk out the door for good at 3 pm tomorrow!

I think it won't really hit me until Monday morning!

Thanks all! My last official day is actually tomorrow. Finishing up all my transition today so it's the last 'real' workday. Tomorrow I'll work from home in the morning ( which is really just to be available for any last minute questions). Will head into the office for a couple of hours after lunch to take one last nostalgic walk around, and turn in my stuff. Plan to walk out the door for good at 3 pm tomorrow!

I think it won't really hit me until Monday morning!

My exit happened so quickly (Tuesday after Labor Day announcement - Friday last day) that I was still being hit a couple of weeks later. I think the final "proof" that I was actually gone was that my megacorp voicemail stopped working at exactly 12:00 midnight on the last day of the month (my actual FIRE date.) And, yes, I called at 11:59PM - working, and 12:00 midnight - not working. YMMV

Congratulations!

Congrats on your retirement.

My last day at megacorp is Friday Jan 21st. I am currently training my replacement, and young early 30's young woman. Bright, hardworking, and personable - I believe she will do very well in this role.

She was told at the outset that the incumbent in the position is early retiring. She confessed today that she was shocked when she met me since I didn't even look 50 yet (I am 49 LOL). She said she needed to get on my life plan to hopefully follow my lead someday.

So perhaps I made another FIRE convert in my last few w*rking days!

5 working days left, counting Monday's holiday!

Congrats! That is great to hear.

One of my key activities during my "glide path" to retirement was mentoring younger folks at Megacorp. Several times I got the question "why are you retiring when you seem to enjoy the job so much?", and that led to some good discussions that may have planted a similar seed in their thoughts. One reason I keep my LinkedIn account active is that several of these folks connected with me after my retirement to keep in touch.

Thanks everyone!

The final day has arrived. I woke up late and will work from home this morning. Answer / forward a few emails and spend some quality one on one time with my backfill trainee.

Then drive in after lunch to turn in my stuff. Should be completely done by 2:30 or 3 pm, and home by 3:30.

SO and I are going out for a nice steak dinner tonight. Getting together with close friends tomorrow to celebrate.

OMG, the day I've worked and dreamed about has arrived. So many emotions. I'll probably do a larger post next week after I've processed a bit. But so far...it's exhilarating!

Thanks everyone!

The final day has arrived. I woke up late and will work from home this morning. Answer / forward a few emails and spend some quality one on one time with my backfill trainee.

Then drive in after lunch to turn in my stuff. Should be completely done by 2:30 or 3 pm, and home by 3:30.

SO and I are going out for a nice steak dinner tonight. Getting together with close friends tomorrow to celebrate.

OMG, the day I've worked and dreamed about has arrived. So many emotions. I'll probably do a larger post next week after I've processed a bit. But so far...it's exhilarating!

I am excited for you!
I hope you have fun today - and maybe tomorrow, you can sit outside your door (or better yet, in front of your office door in your car) with a cup of coffee and a pastry, and watch all the people who have to go to work...but not you! :LOL:

Today is The Day for you!
I remember my last day, the excitement was kind of like the first day of Kindergarten--lol.
Welcome to Retirement.

All Done!

Finished up my afternoon meetings. Answered a few calls from my boss and co-workers with last minute questions. A few co-workers asked if I'd consider mentoring them and I said absolutely. My boss told me to call her if and when I was ready and she would bring me in as a consultant - our group is always over-loaded and she really trusts my judgement and abilities. I don't know if I'll take her up on that option or not but its nice to know it is there if I want it down the road.

I'm definitely still processing the day and my new freedom. I'm still amazed that the day is here!

Now onto that nice steak dinner with SO to celebrate. :dance:

Finished up my afternoon meetings. Answered a few calls from my boss and co-workers with last minute questions. A few co-workers asked if I'd consider mentoring them and I said absolutely. My boss told me to call her if and when I was ready and she would bring me in as a consultant - our group is always over-loaded and she really trusts my judgement and abilities. I don't know if I'll take her up on that option or not but its nice to know it is there if I want it down the road.

I'm definitely still processing the day and my new freedom. I'm still amazed that the day is here!

Good job.

Okay was it porterhouse or filet mignon or rib eye?

Congratulations! If this hasn't come up, don't forget that a consultant doesn't get any benefits yet bears more of the overhead costs than a salaried employee, and so should be paid about 1.5-2x the salaried rate to make it equitable. There's plenty of research out there to back it up if your employer hasn't done this before.

Congratulations! If this hasn't come up, don't forget that a consultant doesn't get any benefits yet bears more of the overhead costs than a salaried employee, and so should be paid about 1.5-2x the salaried rate to make it equitable. There's plenty of research out there to back it up if your employer hasn't done this before.
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind! But that is definitely a ways out. For now I am savoring my first taste of freedom in my whole adult life!

...and...how is your first morning of freedom? :)
Even more delicious than dinner last night! Having a leisurely cup of coffee. We got in SO's benefits website and added me as a domestic partner, so I have insurance taken care of. This afternoon we are gathering with some close friends at a winery to celebrate.

I randomly find myself thinking about work projects...then stop myself and break out into a huge grin when I remember that it's not my problem anymore!

Even more delicious than dinner last night! Having a leisurely cup of coffee. We got in SO's benefits website and added me as a domestic partner, so I have insurance taken care of. This afternoon we are gathering with some close friends at a winery to celebrate.

I randomly find myself thinking about work projects...then stop myself and break out into a huge grin when I remember that it's not my problem anymore!

Congratulations!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom