The good life is not all the expensive

UncleHoney, that's so beautiful! How long did it take you to do it?

There is a guy on Ebay who makes beautiful wooden pool cue cases. I love them so much but haven't bought one yet. $200 is usually is asking price for a one cue (two pieces) case.

UncleHoney, that's so beautiful! How long did it take you to do it?

There is a guy on Ebay who makes beautiful wooden pool cue cases. I love them so much but haven't bought one yet. $200 is usually is asking price for a one cue (two pieces) case.

Thanks Sam.

This piece took about a week to complete but that time was over several months. The main body of the pitcher was turned from fresh cut walnut that has a lot of water. I rough turned it and then let it dry for several months. In that time the wood usually shrinks and warps some. It may even crack if it drys too fast.

The real fun comes when you put the dried piece back on the lathe and do the finishing cuts and add the accents. I spent several days making the handle and applying the lacquer finish.

UH

if you are willing to give up living in one place and either move onto a boat, or into an rv, or if you vagabond living 6 months here and a year there-- because you have to pay to live someplace anyway--then your travel becomes just the cost of living rather than a luxury expense.
Yep - you are very right. When we moved into our RV and sold our house, I also removed the "travel" category from our budget. Now our travel expenses are just part of our daily living expenses.

I don't think I would ever consider traveling to be "cheap" though - not when compared to NOT traveling, unless you are essentially backpacking it which some people definitely do!

But you can definitely get way more bang for the buck as you get experienced with travel. Our first couple of years we signed up for "group" travel excursions which was fun as someone else figured out all the details and we just came along for the ride. It was a great way to get started. But after a couple of years we were really ready to do it on our own, and travel expenses dropped dramatically - maybe cut by 2/3 even. Since, as we've gained more experience and later switched to RVing most of it, they came down even more. Now, fulltiming, they are even lower. So the moral of the story is that as you gain experience, travel expenses can come down dramatically OR you can get a lot more travel in for the same $$$.

Our monthly living expenses are lower now living fulltime in the RV than they were when we had a home base and a smaller RV. But all you have to do is ammortize the cost of the RV we bought (which is a depreciating asset), and any idea that this is "cheap" is blown right out of the water.:2funny:

Doesn't matter though. The RV is already paid for, so we feel like it's "free". LOL!

Audrey

P.S. UncleHoney that is a SPECTACULAR piece of woodwork!!!

There are plenty of hobbies around that can be next to free. My favorite is woodturning. Once you have the necessary equipment, a lathe, which will cost from $500 on up to $4500, the hobby can be mostly free from there on.

In any large city there is an endless supply of free turning stock just for the asking.

Wow, that is an impressive piece. Well done!

However, I think you left a few things out. A few hundred or a few thousand for a lathe, free/cheap wood - OK. But what about talent/skill/artistry? If I attempted to turn something like that it would look more like one of those clay ashtrays (pencil holders these days, I guess) we made as kids in 1st grade.

-ERD50

Wow, that is an impressive piece. Well done!

However, I think you left a few things out. A few hundred or a few thousand for a lathe, free/cheap wood - OK. But what about talent/skill/artistry? If I attempted to turn something like that it would look more like one of those clay ashtrays (pencil holders these days, I guess) we made as kids in 1st grade.

-ERD50

Thanks ERD50.

You are right about leaving a few things out. But skills build after time and a lot of practice.

Some of my first pieces looked like real sow's ears.

Go to my guitar lesson once a week..cost $21 dollars but I pratice 2 hours a day so it costs 1.50 per hour. This will all come down when I play and not have to take lessons.

Yes! And if you develop to the point of playing gigs out and about, pocket $150-200 per night... all while having fun, entertaining yourself and others!

-AJ

uncle honey that is perty!!!

i once worked at an "art craft" shop in brentwood that sold a piece of turned wood for $10,000...:cool: it was perty too - but my jaw dropped! we just told the customers about the "artist" and that upped the price of whatever was in the store by a few hundred percent...:eek:

UncleHoney - what a magnificent piece of art - very nice.

I knit and am now good enough that I could probably sell my work - I don't sell it I give it away to people who appreciate the time involved...plus my relatives. Maybe when I retire I'll see some, then maybe not - it might be *work* then :)

Back
Top Bottom