The Holidays Are Over...YEAH!!!

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
First off, don't get me wrong, I love the holidays. Christmas is certainly my favorite time of the year. It brings back some of my most cherished memories of being a kid and is a great time to create new ones, BUT....

I am SO VERY, VERY, VERY happy that people have gone back to w*rk and the kiddos are back in school. I was at the point that I didn't want to leave the house for ANYTHING at all. The large masses of people that seemed to be EVERYWHERE at ALL TIMES was just overwhelming. Traffic was horrible from 8AM until 9PM or even later. However, now that the w*rking folks are back in their routines (trying to figure out how pay for all those Christmas purchases, no doubt!) my life has become much easier.

This AM, after having a couple of cups of coffee, thought I would venture out and get my veteran's drivers license and renew the tags for the cars. Well, I gotta tell you...I got to the DMV in record time and I couldn't even get the one-page application filled out before they called my number. I was in and out of there in less than 10 minutes. I thought that perhaps it was an anomaly, but when I went to the county service center to renew the tags, there was NO ONE there and again, I was in and out in about 15 minutes. I would have been out in about 5 minutes, but the CSR and I were having an entertaining conversation, so I hung around a little while. I am now back home (it's not even noon yet!) and am going to have a couple more cups of coffee and watch the cold weather come in while enjoying my newly found retired life.

Oh yes, and for those that are still w*rking and making sure us retirees can get stuff done in record time...I offer my condolences. ;)

I was thinking the same thing (and felt quite selfish about it.) We went to a movie yesterday and saw, "Unbroken". We were the only ones in the theater.

I was thinking the same thing (and felt quite selfish about it.) We went to a movie yesterday and saw, "Unbroken". We were the only ones in the theater.

I thought about that aspect of it (the guilt or being selfish), but then I thought about what I have done in my life to get where I am...and the guilt just melts away!

That's a great idea about the movie. I really liked the book, and thought about seeing the movie, but I have heard mixed reviews from those that have read it. But, with matinee pricing and with the theater being empty...that's not a bad idea! Tomorrow should be a good day for that since it will be brutally cold out and will keep most folks in that would normally be out and about!

Last edited:
I agree - it's great to have all those tourists and folks on school break off *my* beach in the morning when I walk the dog. (Mind you, it's a public beach that I drive to... but this week, the crowds are gone and it's just the couple dozen regular walkers, runners, surfers and kayakers... for my sunrise walk.)

But - traffic during rush hour is much worse now. I accidentally got caught in it last night - and unfortunately, have a 5pm meeting tonight that will put me right in the mess of traffic tonight.

Well, I was sorry to see it end. I am doing OMY and enjoyed the holiday season greatly for one reason, (lack of) work hour traffic. Where I live, the traffic gets lighter for two weeks and it was simply great. I didn't do any shopping and avoided running into grumpy retired folks who were thrown off their normal routine ... ;)

We've still got a lot of crazies out on the road. The end of the holidays coincided with the beginning of Carnival season here (leading up to Mardi Gras on Feb 17th). The first parades were yesterday and the influx of tourists has begun. While locals may be back at work, vacationers are taking up the slack on our streets.

Oh well, at least the parades are pretty small at this stage, so it isn't hard to get around town if one can dodge the crazy drivers. It's just part of living here. I don't really mind that much, although we do tend to stay off the streets more during Carnival.

We liked it because all the big spenders were in Florida or Hawaii, and the gym wasn't nearly as crowded. Now they are all back, bragging about their vacations.

Amethyst

Well, I was sorry to see it end. I am doing OMY and enjoyed the holiday season greatly for one reason, (lack of) work hour traffic. Where I live, the traffic gets lighter for two weeks and it was simply great. I didn't do any shopping and avoided running into grumpy retired folks who were thrown off their normal routine ... ;)

+1
I love the holidays for the easy commutes into work. Half the people in my office are off too, so much less BS. With both holidays landing on a Thursday, 95% of the office took off on Friday. Needless to say, but I felt like I had the day off too.

We liked it because all the big spenders were in Florida or Hawaii, and the gym wasn't nearly as crowded. Now they are all back, bragging about their vacations.

Amethyst

Thankfully, I am able to do my workouts at home when the weather isn't great for being outside. I have heard several friends who are gym rats that they HATE this time of year with all the "amateurs" and their New Year's resolution. But, I am sure by the first of February, most of those folks will be out of gyms and sitting at the McD's drive thru!

I feel the same way. My holidays were quite enjoyable but now that they're over, I can get back to my normal life. As a kid, this time of year always seemed bleak with only the prospect of going back to school to look forward to. On top of that, my birthday is in late November, so I had to wait another 11 months for more gifts :(

As an INTJ adult though, the vast expanse of months lying ahead of me with no solid social commitments appear as a very inviting playground. Every day, I can get up and work or play on anything I want. Whoopee! :dance:

This morning, I will take down the decorations (I'm a day late). It will only take 5 minutes, as my total decorations are 2 strings of lights around the window, and a stocking hanging from the bedpost. Last year, the stocking stayed up all year and by the time September rolled around, it didn't really seem worth taking it down. Not this year though - it will be coming down in just a few minutes so that my apartment is "primed" for happy, productive and fun post-holiday living!

It's kind of fun to predict who's gonna stick with it. There is one couple (man and woman) who started working out together more than a year ago. They were tentative at first (as in...Uhhh, what does this machine do??), but are now doing quite advanced workouts. The outward difference is noticeable, too. :) Another fellow, in his early 70's, has completely lost the large "beach ball" he used to carry around under his T-shirt. He used to struggle to do one sit-up and now bangs them out, one after another, while balanced on a Bosu half-ball. It has been like watching someone grow younger before your eyes.

Amethyst

I have heard several friends who are gym rats that they HATE this time of year with all the "amateurs" and their New Year's resolution. !

I like the holidays and am a bit sad they are over.
But, we have two national holidays coming in the next two months.:dance:

I have heard several friends who are gym rats that they HATE this time of year with all the "amateurs" and their New Year's resolution. But, I am sure by the first of February, most of those folks will be out of gyms and sitting at the McD's drive thru!

While we aren't what I'd call "gym rats" we do make a good faith effort to go every other day and yes there is a rise in the numbers this time of year. I asked one of the staff guys how many new members drop out after a few months and he said about 50%. That's a lot of wasted gym memberships.

And yes I'm also glad to see the pre-holiday craziness go away. We stayed out of the stores and what little shopping we did was done online.

Not if you work in the private sector....our next holiday is at the end of May.:(

I'm in the private sector - we get MLK day and Presidents' day. Then the long stretch until Memorial Day. I guess we are lucky!

I'm in the private sector - we get MLK day and Presidents' day. Then the long stretch until Memorial Day. I guess we are lucky!

Don't forget Good Friday. If things went well, Easter too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I still have my live xmas tree decorated with lights and a blue icicle light string across my living room fireplace mantle. I'll leave them up until Spring happens. I enjoy the colors at nighttime. :D
I am also glad the holiday season is over. Note I call it a season, not a day.
I did all my shopping online thru Amazon. A few things arrived after the 25th, but that was no big deal. Mr B and I did our gift giving on the 28th.
Now I will migrate into Think Spring mode. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom