The 'PERFECT' REtirement Spot

unclemick

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What selection criteria are you using to define your definition of ER heaven. I see a lot of cost of living discusions(a biiggie) but there must be other selection criteria- cimate, friends,hobbies,etc.
We retired near we last worked and have been slowly unloading stuff over time - da boat, da camper, 2nd vehiicle, stuff. Also I get to B.S with retired aerospace buddies once a week on thursdays. Oh yes no snow, resonably low cost of living, on the water. Hurricanes suck though.

Well, you didn't say where you were at, but this is a very personal deal.

My choice is Minnesota. Where I currently live. We have a change of seasons. I love spring, summer and fall and about 10 minutes of winter. I get sick of winter and can vacation every 6 weeks or so and fully appreciate a warm climate.

I lived in Florida for 3 years and did not appreciate the weather. You have to live in winter every year to fully appreciate a nice day. It's like being hungry to enjoy a good meal! - No one likes a big Sirloin on a full stomach!

All my friends are here also. And all my stuff. I can fish, eat in fine restaurants and can bitch about the winter every year. Nothing like leaving the Mpls airport when it's 10 below zero and arriving in Florida where it's 75 degrees!

I think I'll stay here for the duration :) :)

During working years-lived in western WAshington, Colorado, eastern Maryland, north Alabama, and RV'd Forida and Texas a lot. Found I liked them all. Hated driving to work on snow, didn't mind driving to ski. I keep telling her, we havin't tryed the desert yet like New Mexico or Arizona. She has no desire to go back to Upper Michigan and points out the western fires on TV- ie where we are is just ducky. I guess venturing forth as tourists and coming back to home base is our modis operandi.

Hey UncleMick,

I've lived in Arizona. It's nice. It really is. Try Scottsdale. You'd be hard pressed to beat the winters, and there are no tropical storms. If you want the beach, San Diego is a six-hour drive. If you like to ski in the winter, take a drive north to the Flagstaff vicinity. There's usually snow there.

Also, unlike Texas, the property taxes are low, and,if you're retired, the income taxes shouldn't kill you.

Rex

Hey Cui-Throat and Rex

My totally unscientific of tally of the ones we know.
Four went back to four season climate - three to the front range outside of Denver( Indian Village, Dillion,Evergreen) One to West Virginia.
One Trades houses with longtime friends in Panama= their kids were exchange students with them X years ago.
Two went to Arizona not sure of the towns. One Plans to RV with Arizona as Home base'
One went to Merida,Mexico but came back to Florida to help his son's business.
One couple(childless) have never worked full time for 30 years but still sail down the Atlantic and along Gulf try to berth with friends and jobshop(tool designer,tech writer)
One put his daughter's family as housesitters and went back to sea as a merchant marine after 25 years.
One we think? moved to Costa Rica.

Us boring ones- four live on the water with access to Lake Ponchartrain and five in the same suburbs as when they worked.

P.S. In 1993 and 1994, I subscribed to a retirement letter out of Scottsdale-Pete Dickinson?-or Dickerson?

I've lived in Texas my entire life. I still don't know how we survived without air conditioning, but we did. :p

My wife and I absolutely hate the summers here. We're thinking about building a cabin on our lake for the spring, fall and winter and then go elsewhere for the summer... did I mention that it gets hot here? :-[

How are the northern states during June-August? Are the temperatures mild or do we need to go to Canada or the Pacific Northwest? We're thinking maybe Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Now this is interesting! I lived in Texas from 1994 until 1998 and absolutely loved the summers (although
without A/C I don't know how you could survive either).
One of many reasons we chose north Texas as our
eventual ER home. I just love hot weather. We are getting ready to build there as I type.

I found the humidity very low around Dallas, compared to the midwest
where I grew up, and where we live presently. And,
having lived/worked/traveled all over Illinois, Minn.,
Wisconsin and Michigan I can give you my view.

Like almost everywhere, some times of the year offer
delightful weather here. However, if you get much farther north (Wiscosin/Michigan/Minnesota), the
winters can be brutal. Also, in these states the bugs
can be even worse than the weather. Mosquitoes,
ticks and black flies can make life miserable for man and
beast. I hardly saw a mosquito when I was in Texas
and the ones I did see were about 1/4 the size of an
average Minnesota bug (I'm not kidding). In Wisconsin they joke that the mosquito is their state bird. Can't
speak for the other states, but Illinois politics are
quite corrupt and have been for years. And, of course
Texas has no state income tax, which you would have to
deal with in the northern states I've mentioned. Bottom
line; this is a wonderful area to visit, but we
don't care to live here all the time.

And here's more. Having given you my take on some northern states, I will now do the same on the warmer climes I know something about.

We considered Florida quite seriously but decided it
was too buggy and humid, compared to north Texas.
Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful with good weather, but I was more familiar with Texas which gave me a high comfort level for relocation. Briefly considered
moving offshore, but decided that was too much hassle
(I am quite hassle averse). Finally, I have not spent all
that much time in California, but enough to know that
would be about my last choice.

I thought the mosquito was the louisiana state bird - I have an old 'baseball hat' that says so!

BTY - back in the days of our RV phase we went to 'winter texan' land - Brownsville to McAllen - Iowa was first, Kansas second -counting license plates in the campgrounds - there was even a winter texan newspaper.

So you could reverse and go north in summer. I lived 5 years outside Denver - very few bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love Texas in the spring and fall...winters are tolerable, almost comfortable (except February). We have friends who retired to Colorado Springs. They love it, although it can even get warm there during the summer.

I've heard a lot of nice things about Sedona, Arizona. Never been there though.

Sedona is absolutely gorgeous! Let's face it folks, there
is no perfect place. If there was, everyone would go there and then it wouldn't be perfect any more either.

To paraphrase "no perfect place" then where you are is the perfect place - because in ER you can stay in one place or move around a little or lot much more freely than than when you were working. Of course, she gets to vote too - at least in our case.

uncle mick is right! So far this year my travels are as follows:

March 10 days to Florida
April Motorcycle trip to Wisc. and Minn.
May Motorcycle trip to Nebraska
June Motorcycle trip to Wisc. and Minn.
July A week in Texas
August A week in Texas

No Hyatts or Hiltons and a lot of stops at McDonalds,
but it's awfully nice to be able to pick up and go
whenever I get the urge.

I've never fished the Big Horn River. Love Montana though. The parts of the Big Horn I have seen look
about like I assume they did when Custer was riding
around chasing Sitting Bull et al.

:DOld Air force saying . The best place to live is the one you left or the one your going to.

I've seen several people mention that they want to retire to Texas.

What's so great about Texas?

I lived in Houston for the most part of 25 years and have traveled over most of the state and haven't found much to redeem itself. It's so hot, I feel like I'm melting. With the humidity, I feel as if I need scuba gear to breathe. Houston is one giant 50 mile diameter construction zone. Texas's highest elevation is only about 4500 feet, hardly enough to cool the air down. One of the highest state sales taxes. No state income taxes, but my property taxes make up for more than that (house =$215K taxes = 8K). Half of my property taxes goes to the school district that I don't have anyone attending. If you lose your medical coverage and have to go to the state pool, it has one of the worst plans. The Hill Country - more like ant hills in a disaster area. I've seen better beaches on volcanic islands. To get anywhere I consider reasonable takes at least a day of driving.

Sorry if I offended any native Texans - I'm not one of them. But I just don't get it. I'll be happy to leave once I get to FIRE. The only thing keeping me here is my job.

Honestly I'm just trying to find out why so many seem to like it, just to make sure that I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks,

Well, I love Texas and Texans, but would never want to live in or near Houston, which may be part of your problem. I too have traveled all over the state, and lived in the Dallas area for 4 years. I like the weather
(yes, even the summers). The humidity around Dallas was low. Not too buggy either! Population is very pro-gun
which is a major issue with me. Lots of lakes. Good fishing and boating whcih I enjoy. You are suffering from "the grass is greener" disease. I agree with the
bumper sticker: I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as
quick as I could!

Well, I love Texas and Texans, but would never want to live in or near Houston, which may be part of your problem.  I too have traveled all over the state, and lived in the Dallas area for 4 years.  I like the weather
(yes, even the summers).  The humidity around Dallas was low.  Not too buggy either!  Population is very pro-gun
which is a major issue with me.  Lots of lakes.  Good fishing and boating whcih I enjoy.  You are suffering from "the grass is greener" disease.  I agree with the
bumper sticker:  I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as
quick as I could!

Houston is a major problem for me. But that's where the job is and I only need 4-5 more years. I consider Houston to be the "Rodney Dangerfield of cities" - it don't get no respect. Ask the average person what is largest city in Texas and they'll probably say Dallas. Most don't know Houston's the 4th largest city in the USA. One hidden gem in Houston is the food - since we don't have respect, none of the travel and food magazines come here often.

The grass is greener over there - I'm not much of a boater or lake fisherman. I much prefer tall mountains. To each his/her own.

Interesting you mention green grass as Marylynn Savant had a question that your neighbors grass really does look greener than yours.

Thanks,

WoolyBully,

I have been all over Texas and I see it pretty much as you do. I live in Minnesota and I love it about 9 months of the year. Dec, Jan, Feb are for snowbirds. I do get away from the terrible Minnesota winters.

There are plenty of states that I prefer over Texas. The West is great. Wash, Oregon, Idaho, Northern CA, Montana, Wyoming, Utah.

It's all to you. Take a few vacations and visit some of these destinations. If you decide to move somewhere, rent first for a couple years, you'll be a more educated buyer and you'll be sure that you want to live there.
Yea, I'm eyeing Colorado a lot. I have always loved the mountains there. I'll avoid the far west - too many crazies - don't want to add to the population - though Oregon or Washington are quite pretty and tempting - but getting too many people.

Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are pretty too, but too cold in the winter. So I prefer southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. Arizona's too arid. Something about Utah makes me wonder, but it has nice areas too, and I think the mountains are better in CO.

And I'd love to try my hand a some fly fishing and bring home a trout or two occasionally.

Advice on renting first is good - I'll consider that.

Thanks,

I relo'd to Texas from a northern state. If Houston was the destination, I would have said no. Sorry Houstonians, but I'm glad someone wants to live there, or else they'd be filling some other place up :D

Actually, we all owe a BIG THANKS! to the people there, and along the ship channel, B-Mont, Bay, etc. As they are responsible for the oil and gas industry, and building and running all of the chemical plants that create needed chemicals that everyone else all over the country needs to live. Without them, we'd be third world.

I won't say that I have "been all over Texas". Why? Because when I hear someone proclaim that, I have found that many of them actually they have been to relatively few places. When I have asked them if they have been here, there, there, there, there, I get mostly "No, no, no, no, no" back. It is too big of a country to have been "all over", unless one makes travel through Texas their occupation or longtime hobby.

Back up north, sometimes someone has let something disparaging about Texas slip, then said "oh, uh, sorry" when they realized I live there. Then they said "oh, they probably say worse things than that about us down there". To which I reply "No, no they don't. They just don't ever think about you!" And that is true.

When I first moved here I acquired a post card that I still have around somewhere. It is a Texan's view of the United States of Texas. Texas occupies about 2/3rds of the US, with tiny little states jammed in on the sides. With Texas names or pronunciations for them. It was a joke, but not completely.

I don't encourage people to move to Texas. There are a lot of other places that people can go, so go there. I don't want to be tripping over or running into y'all in my greying years :D

I have 2 confessions. First of all. when I said I had been
all over Texas, that was not quite right, but I think I have been everywhere (all corners, borders and central
parts) except for the Brownsville/Corpus area. I figure
in a state the size of Texas that's pretty much all over.
Secondly, if I had not been drawn there by some contractual work after I semiretired, I am sure we would
have been looking elsewhere for our warm weather
digs. Truly, I liked almost everything about Texas and
especially the Texans. And, I am pretty well traveled in the USA. I think I've been in every state except maybe 5 or 6. Texas is flat, but the variations in the
landscape from one end to the other are huge.
It really is "like a whole 'nother country!"

If you think the max elevation is only 4500 feet, then you truly haven't been everywhere in Texas. Alpine, a funky little town, is at 5800 feet and has the cooler temps to go with it. In fact, the Davis Mountains range from 5000-8000+ feet. It's not the Rockies but it is pretty.

Some mighty pretty country. Highest point is Guadalupe Peak @ 8749. Just west of where I-10 & I-20 come together is Gomez Peak. there is a road 'round the backside of Gomez, route 118, that is very scenic. It winds through some of the Davis Mts. there is a turnoff on it up to Mount Locke, where McDonanld Observatory is. We piggybacked onto a small gifted and talented kids in-depth tour that was going on once there. Then can continue on to Ft. Davis historic site. The rock formations there are really wild, never saw anything like those in CO, UT, WY, etc. Really unusual.

We need to make it out to Marfa, I still haven't seen the Marfa lights. Thats a must-do sometime. A lot to see in the Trans-Pecos area.
Down in the Valley, we honeymooned in Brownsville/South Padre/Port Isabel area. It was real quiet then, long before it was discovered by the spring breakers. The road up S.P. into the Nat. Seashore area had just some businesses on the far south end, it was all open after that up to the Nat. Seashore!

An excellent map book is "The Roads of Texas", it is a large-form soft cover book. Has detail that Rand McNally, etc. doesn't have. The older copy that I have has 170 pages. It is set up in a grid system with adjacent page numbers in the margins, so its easy to follow along page to page.

Some mighty pretty country.  Highest point is Guadalupe Peak @ 8749.  

And to TG.

Guadalupe is the highest point in Texas. I mis-spoke. I have been along the I-10 corridor on the way west, but didn't see anything of interest (except for what appears to be some volcanic rocks just west of Van Horn) Sorry for the confusion. West Texas is not my idea of what mountains should look like - they're missing the white stuff.

But from Houston I still have to drive a day to get there so it's not like I can do that in a weekend. And if I'm going to drive that far, I might as well just go on over to New Mexico or Colorado that has real mountains.

In Colorado, the mountains would be in my backyard.

I'm still moving.

Thanks,

Cut-Throat touched on a issue that has always bothered me, i.e. losing touch with people I like and
who were an important part of my life. I have moved
a lot. When I semiretired I moved back to Illinois where
I was born and raised and where I still had family.
Unfortunately, all this moving around meant that many
friends that I valued highly drifted away. I am pretty good at
keeping in touch, but have only so much time to do it.
Now, Cut-Throat lives in Minnesota. It's a nice state, but
much too cold for my taste. Ditto for Illinois, plus I can't
adjust to the political climate. Just yesterday on the radio they mentioned the high taxes and bad weather
and noted that people wanted to leave here.
Helloooooooooo! High taxes, bad weather, corrupt
government and an antigun climate is no place for me to live. On the other hand there is the friends/roots/relatives thing. It's a conundrum folks.
I say listen to what Ricky Nelson said on the subject.
"You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself!"

Back
Top Bottom