Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #3041
Full time employment: Posting here.

Portuguese bullfights are different. They don't kill the bull.

x-20190727-00296_2
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #3042
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Snowy heron 20190817_121946.jpeg
Old 08-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #3043

Hungry goose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C67B57A1-31D0-48E2-9FF5-524B747C73EC.jpg (325.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #3044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been experimenting with time lapse photography for the past 18 months or so. It started out as a novelty but now I'm creating more and more projects using this technique. I just completed a time lapse city tour of the great city of Los Angeles (where we live most of the time) today and posted it on YouTube. It took about 6 weeks to shoot this 1 minute 40 seconds of video. I used a Tokina 11-16mm wide angle zoom with a Lumix G7 to shoot most of the video.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 AM   #3045

Taken yesterday in Giverny where Monet did most of his painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E052F25D-6ED3-43AB-96B1-DCF86706DA7F.jpg (989.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #3046

I was staying in Kanab, Utah last spring for the various sights in the region. I went out to the Toadstool Hoodoos four different mornings. Here are the best 3 shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2712FB.jpg (500.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3134FB.jpg (421.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3112fb.jpg (619.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #3047
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I have been experimenting with time lapse photography for the past 18 months or so. It started out as a novelty but now I'm creating more and more projects using this technique. I just completed a time lapse city tour of the great city of Los Angeles (where we live most of the time) today and posted it on YouTube. It took about 6 weeks to shoot this 1 minute 40 seconds of video. I used a Tokina 11-16mm wide angle zoom with a Lumix G7 to shoot most of the video.
Looks great!

Which processing software did you use?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #3048
Moderator Emeritus

^ lots of great photos & an awesome video!

Not a great photo, but an interesting one - our gutter guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getting gutters as seen from the inside.jpg (532.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #3049
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Hungry goose
Thatís a swan.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #3050

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Hungry goose
I think you will find that goose is a Swan.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #3051

Advice and Recommendations needed.

What is a good all round camera for someone who would like to take up photography in retirement. Not a starter camera as such, but one that you would buy for keeps. Does not need to be cheap, more interested in overall functionality and perhaps ease of use too. I like to take photos of wildlife and vistas mainly, perhaps the odd video.

I have owned some good Cameras but not really for the photography usage aspect. I bought them to design mounts for commercial drone applications and sold them after the projects were complete. So currently I only have a small point and shoot. I used to have a few Canon Lenses, but again all have been sold off to fund the next project. So I am really starting from scratch now.

I think I would like a full frame camera as I have never owned one.

Some in order of the latest are:

Sony 6500 - This was a nice camera, but seemed very complicated.
Sony 5000
Ricoh GR
NX-1100
Canon 7D
Some older Canon EOS DSLR Models.

Any Recommendations would be helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #3052
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I was staying in Kanab, Utah last spring for the various sights in the region. I went out to the Toadstool Hoodoos four different mornings. Here are the best 3 shots.
Excellent series, Roy. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #3053

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Looks great!

Which processing software did you use?
I use Vegas Pro (version 14) for editing and post processing. You need a lot of CPU power to edit and process 4K video. I used Sonic Fire Pro 6 and Smartsound to create the audio track.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Advice and Recommendations needed.

What is a good all round camera for someone who would like to take up photography in retirement. Not a starter camera as such, but one that you would buy for keeps. Does not need to be cheap, more interested in overall functionality and perhaps ease of use too. I like to take photos of wildlife and vistas mainly, perhaps the odd video.

I have owned some good Cameras but not really for the photography usage aspect. I bought them to design mounts for commercial drone applications and sold them after the projects were complete. So currently I only have a small point and shoot. I used to have a few Canon Lenses, but again all have been sold off to fund the next project. So I am really starting from scratch now.

I think I would like a full frame camera as I have never owned one.

Some in order of the latest are:

Sony 6500 - This was a nice camera, but seemed very complicated.
Sony 5000
Ricoh GR
NX-1100
Canon 7D
Some older Canon EOS DSLR Models.

Any Recommendations would be helpful.

I own both Canon (I own two DSLRs) and Panasonic Cameras (one mirrorless). Canon make good lenses but compared to Panasonic, Canon camera bodies are generations behind. For me I chose Panasonic because of it's compact size and ability to shoot 4K video. I am easily able to adapt my Canon lenses to my Panasonic. Olympus is another good option. If you want a full frame mirrorless camera I would choose Sony or the Panasonic S1. I would stay away from Canon.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #3055

Quote:
I own both Canon (I own two DSLRs) and Panasonic Cameras (one mirrorless). Canon make good lenses but compared to Panasonic, Canon camera bodies are generations behind. For me I chose Panasonic because of it's compact size and ability to shoot 4K video. I am easily able to adapt my Canon lenses to my Panasonic. Olympus is another good option. If you want a full frame mirrorless camera I would choose Sony or the Panasonic S1. I would stay away from Canon.
Thanks I will check them out. I assume the Panasonics are the Lumix ones.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #3056

Quote:
Thanks I will check them out. I assume the Panasonics are the Lumix ones.
Yes. The lenses for the Panasonic S1 are from Leica.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #3057

Quote:
Yes. The lenses for the Panasonic S1 are from Leica.
The Sony A7R III looks nice....
Old 08-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #3058
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I use Vegas Pro (version 14) for editing and post processing. You need a lot of CPU power to edit and process 4K video. I used Sonic Fire Pro 6 and Smartsound to create the audio track.
The night shots look very clean, obviously long exposures using low ISO to avoid noise?

I've seen various ways to produce time lapses but for now, I'm content to use the built-in time-lapse processing in my camera so that I don't have to do post processing.

But that limits what I can do, for instance really long exposures or the ramping of exposures as the sun sets or rises and get really no or low-noise time-lapse videos as the result.

However, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to capture for hours, waiting for the sun to set and all the city lights to come on.

What I've done is capture for 20-40 minutes at most with 2 second intervals, resulting in videos ranging from 30 to 120 seconds. Again, the camera combines all the shots together into a 4K24 video and it has good cloud motion.

Only time I'd capture longer is if the place I'm staying at has a nice view and I can let the camera capture for a couple of hours while I do other things, keeping an eye on the camera on a balcony.

Also not ambitious with music either. I started downloading some no-royalty music and used them with my drone videos.

But videos like yours certainly shows how much more I could try to do.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #3059
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Sony A7R III looks nice....
The Sony full frame mirrorless definitely have a head start, if what you want are full frame mirrorless gear.

I bought the Nikon Z mirrorless a few months ago and have used it on a couple of trips. I did have a couple of Nikon lenses so that was the natural choice, to be able to use the lenses I had.

For wildlife though, if you mean things like shooting birds, you need long lenses and a crop sensor is probably better suited to that.

For low light, you might want something with lower pixel counts and better low-light capabilities.

The A7R3 is over 40 megapixels and it's their third iteration so it's pretty refined, probably would work for low-light.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The night shots look very clean, obviously long exposures using low ISO to avoid noise?

I've seen various ways to produce time lapses but for now, I'm content to use the built-in time-lapse processing in my camera so that I don't have to do post processing.

But that limits what I can do, for instance really long exposures or the ramping of exposures as the sun sets or rises and get really no or low-noise time-lapse videos as the result.

However, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to capture for hours, waiting for the sun to set and all the city lights to come on.

What I've done is capture for 20-40 minutes at most with 2 second intervals, resulting in videos ranging from 30 to 120 seconds. Again, the camera combines all the shots together into a 4K24 video and it has good cloud motion.

Only time I'd capture longer is if the place I'm staying at has a nice view and I can let the camera capture for a couple of hours while I do other things, keeping an eye on the camera on a balcony.

Also not ambitious with music either. I started downloading some no-royalty music and used them with my drone videos.

But videos like yours certainly shows how much more I could try to do.
Vegas Pro was only used for the editing, titling, the zooms in/out, and some brightness correction. I shot at ISO 200 at 1 second intervals. The shutter speed was as slow as 1/2 of a second. The Tokina lens that I used with the Viltrox adapter brings it down to F/2. The Lumix lens that I used was F/1.7. So they were good for low light situations. Also for low light shots, I often took the exposure down 1 full stop to avoid light saturation. For this video I shot a maximum of 90 frames per sequence (3 seconds) which took 90 seconds to shoot plus set up time. My wife helps out also with the shooting. She is a very good photographer herself. My Lumix camera was used to convert the pictures to video. I used Vegas Pro to synchronize the clips that I finally used to the soundtrack. For sunrises or sunsets I normally use a graduated ND filter.

I'm in my fifth year of retirement so I have more time to focus on my hobbies. I always liked photography but with 4K TVs and 8K TVs (coming soon), video has become more practical media to document our travels. I am focusing on generating high quality videos with professional soundtracks.
Closed Thread