The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

And a few more. I was getting doused with steam in the last pic - thus the rainbow

avpDpQd.jpg

MfJNlmt.jpg

cLExrAu.jpg

Beautiful and excellent captures of the locomotives. Thanks Ronstar

And thanks to everyone that share their photos I enjoy them so much!

Yes. Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad has at least 2 operational steam locomotives, and they have a new shop to work on theirs and steam locomotives from other railroads. In downtown Durango, Co

USS Missouri Battleship

When I stepped on this ship, I was the only one on it. I felt a similar feeling going near the Pool 1 and Pool 2 at Ground Zero

Missouri.jpg

By the time I made my way to the flybridge, a bunch of other folks had made their way onto the deck...but for a minute, it was me and her!

WP_20140516_021.jpg

Last edited:
2017 Total Solar Eclipse from a rest stop in Nebraska; my astrophotography friend John took these pictures on location. I believe he said his telescope was north of $20,000. :cool:

Totality2017Eclipse-John.jpg

totalEclipse.jpg

Shot from DJI Mini @Maui Meadows near the top of the southern subdivision

It was really nice having a view of Molokini and Koho'alawe from our VRBO.

MauiMeadoes.jpg

Nice eclipse shots. I have an AirB&B reserved in Cleveland for the one coming up. I plan to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too. I hope that doesn’t become a consolation prize for bad weather.

Oak Creek Vista, Flagstaff AZ today.

Attachments

• 20240218_113040.jpg
    20240218_113040.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 12
I started out 2024 with shots of the Rosette Nebula from two telescopes, one in midwest Italy and another in the Andalusia region of Spain. These were both taken with R, G, and B, with additional hydrogen (Ha) which emits in red which is the predominant color, and oxygen (O3) which emits in blue and is concentrated in the core. There are a number of ways to process the data to distinguish the component gases in different ways. The Italian version is a traditional RGB color close to how it would appear to the human eye. I processed the image from Spain with a new technique that creates a simulated sulfur (S2) component. It is more along the lines of the ubiquitous Hubble Palette that NASA developed. It highlights the O3 in the blue core.

Attachments

• PM_RGB_HaO3_PS.jpg
    PM_RGB_HaO3_PS.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Rosette_SHO2_PS.jpg
    Rosette_SHO2_PS.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 6
Short hike with the pup today at Homolovi State park outside Winslow AZ. You can see that the park trailhead was VERY crowded.

Attachments

• 20240219_152651.jpg
    20240219_152651.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 22
We have taken a trip in the winter for only the second time ever and hit a few national parks we had been to before, but with snow.

Attachments

• IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5677.jpg
    IMG_5677.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 12
Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Nights of Lights 2023-2024 St. Augustine, Fl

The end of January, the last weekend of the Nights of Lights in St. Augustine.

Hotel_NoL.jpg

Fort_NoL.jpg

I have been patiently waiting for my latest astrophotography target to come into view. The Sombrero Galaxy (M104) never gets high in the sky so it can be a PITA to catch. The Sombrero is over 31 million light years away and is noted for the striking dark dust lane that circles the galaxy bulge and is suspected as the site for much of its star formation.

It is remarkable what you can do with amateur gear. I used a 12.5 inch Planewave CDK reflector hosted in the Utah desert country. For this target I captured 38 five-minute color exposures over three days. I am posting two different crops from my original image, which was a little wider view, and a Hubble image from Wikipedia for comparison. With triple the exposure time, and maybe some narrowband data, more of the details you see in the Hubble view would emerge.

Attachments

• Sombrero_Full_PIall_Starless_s2cGHS.jpg
    Sombrero_Full_PIall_Starless_s2cGHS.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Sombrero_s2cGHS_CloseCr.jpg
    Sombrero_s2cGHS_CloseCr.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Sombrero_Hubble.jpg
    Sombrero_Hubble.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 13
I have been patiently waiting for my latest astrophotography target to come into view. The Sombrero Galaxy (M104) never gets high in the sky so it can be a PITA to catch. The Sombrero is over 31 million light years away and is noted for the striking dark dust lane that circles the galaxy bulge and is suspected as the site for much of its star formation.

It is remarkable what you can do with amateur gear. I used a 12.5 inch Planewave CDK reflector hosted in the Utah desert country. For this target I captured 38 five-minute color exposures over three days. I am posting two different crops from my original image, which was a little wider view, and a Hubble image from Wikipedia for comparison. With triple the exposure time, and maybe some narrowband data, more of the details you see in the Hubble view would emerge.

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom