Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #3081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

Can a Camera's MPs be controlled. What I mean is if it is say 42mp, can it be set below that for certain applications, say 24mps?
All digital cameras allow you to lower your capture resolution. If you want a great deal on a camera, buy it in November around Black Friday. The best discounts are available at that time. It's also a good idea to buy a camera that has been on the market after the first firmware update. Which means, don't buy the latest just released model. If this is your first real camera (I don't count smartphones as cameras, I feel sorry for people who use them for photography), you may just want to start with a bridge camera like the Sony RX10 or the Lumix FZ1000 to keep it simple.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
If this is your first real camera (I don't count smartphones as cameras, I feel sorry for people who use them for photography), you may just want to start with a bridge camera like the Sony RX10 or the Lumix FZ1000 to keep it simple.
Definitely not my first. I have owned all those in the list in the OP and more, I just really did not use them full time for pleasure as they were mounted on drones or gimbals.

Most recently, I did have and use the Sony A6500 for a while, but I was not really into photography as a hobby at that time so I ended up selling it. In retrospect I probably should have kept it. But my desire to own a full frame got the better of me.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #3083
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All digital cameras allow you to lower your capture resolution. If you want a great deal on a camera, buy it in November around Black Friday. The best discounts are available at that time. It's also a good idea to buy a camera that has been on the market after the first firmware update. Which means, don't buy the latest just released model. If this is your first real camera (I don't count smartphones as cameras, I feel sorry for people who use them for photography), you may just want to start with a bridge camera like the Sony RX10 or the Lumix FZ1000 to keep it simple.
Yeah you can choose a 16:9 format instead of the 3:2 and you will have lower resolution.

But with full frame cameras, they usually have a cropped APS-C mode as well which are at lower resolution.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #3084
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently procured a Nikon Z6 with the 24-70/4 kit lens, and I'm just loving it:

- Full frame 24MP: sweet spot for me regarding resolution versus file size
- Low-light performance: between the sensor and the IBIS stabilization, I can shoot hand-held down to 1/10sec.
- Highlight-weighted matrix metering: On-the-run exposure that doesn't blow the highlights. Does take some post processing to pull up the shadows, but well-worth the effort.

For what it's worth...
Old 08-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #3085
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(I don't count smartphones as cameras, I feel sorry for people who use them for photography)
Oh! How snobbish it that. Of course, they are cameras and they are used in photography even if only because of the #1 rule -- "the only bad picture is the one not taken." In any event, there are many professional photographers (you know, the ones that make a living at it) that make great use of their cell phone cameras.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #3086
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbutcher View Post
Recently procured a Nikon Z6 with the 24-70/4 kit lens, and I'm just loving it:

- Full frame 24MP: sweet spot for me regarding resolution versus file size
- Low-light performance: between the sensor and the IBIS stabilization, I can shoot hand-held down to 1/10sec.
- Highlight-weighted matrix metering: On-the-run exposure that doesn't blow the highlights. Does take some post processing to pull up the shadows, but well-worth the effort.

For what it's worth...
I have the Z7. I took some hand held shots in cathedrals, probably tried to keep it no slower than 1/25 or so. I haven't processed the shots yet so we'll see if I managed to avoid blur.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Oh! How snobbish it that. Of course, they are cameras and they are used in photography even if only because of the #1 rule -- "the only bad picture is the one not taken." In any event, there are many professional photographers (you know, the ones that make a living at it) that make great use of their cell phone cameras.
Sorry just my observations from travelling the world and observing people with smartphones. There is a big difference between taking a picture with correct focus and exposure (very few people are doing that) and holding a smartphone on a selfie stick and snapping a picture or taking a video (the vast majority of people are doing that). The former is photography I don't know what to call the latter, maybe Instagram/facebook modelling. I don't know too many professionals using a smartphone as their primary tool for photography. For that matter, you really have to be outstanding these days to make a living as a photographer. It is a profession that is becoming extinct as fewer and fewer people use their services as cameras have become more and more sophisticated. Sorry, but the vast majority of smartphone users don't know how to take photos and videos. They don't even understand basic composition and exposure control. All they want to do is take a selfie photo or video in front of an iconic landmark and move onto the next one. I see that everywhere I go. That isn't photography.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Definitely not my first. I have owned all those in the list in the OP and more, I just really did not use them full time for pleasure as they were mounted on drones or gimbals.

Most recently, I did have and use the Sony A6500 for a while, but I was not really into photography as a hobby at that time so I ended up selling it. In retrospect I probably should have kept it. But my desire to own a full frame got the better of me.
In that case, the Sony full frame cameras are the best value when you consider the quality and lens choices.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #3089
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry just my observations from travelling the world and observing people with smartphones. There is a big difference between taking a picture with correct focus and exposure (very few people are doing that) and holding a smartphone on a selfie stick and snapping a picture or taking a video (the vast majority of people are doing that). The former is photography I don't know what to call the latter, maybe Instagram/facebook modelling. I don't know too many professionals using a smartphone as their primary tool for photography. For that matter, you really have to be outstanding these days to make a living as a photographer. It is a profession that is becoming extinct as fewer and fewer people use their services as cameras have become more and more sophisticated. Sorry, but the vast majority of smartphone users don't know how to take photos and videos. They don't even understand basic composition and exposure control. All they want to do is take a selfie photo or video in front of an iconic landmark and move onto the next one. I see that everywhere I go. That isn't photography.
I lug my heavy gear around all over the world. The same places I'm taking pictures there are hundreds of others taking pictures with their phones.

I use my iPhone for some pictures too, to complement the ones I take with the DSLR

Of course the DSLR pictures have better dynamic range, resolution, color, etc

But the iPhone ones aren't bad, especially if you're mostly viewing them on a computer screen, which is my case, I haven't done any large prints.

And for most people, phone pictures are "good enough" and show that they were at particular places. They will likely be viewing them on their phone screens not even a large computer monitor.

They're not trying to make art, just a memento of various times in their lives, kind of like the old Kodak Instamatics that people used to buy.

Those snapshot images have just as much impact on their memories as a high resolution tack sharp photo does.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #3090

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I lug my heavy gear around all over the world. The same places I'm taking pictures there are hundreds of others taking pictures with their phones.

I use my iPhone for some pictures too, to complement the ones I take with the DSLR

Of course the DSLR pictures have better dynamic range, resolution, color, etc

But the iPhone ones aren't bad, especially if you're mostly viewing them on a computer screen, which is my case, I haven't done any large prints.

And for most people, phone pictures are "good enough" and show that they were at particular places. They will likely be viewing them on their phone screens not even a large computer monitor.

They're not trying to make art, just a memento of various times in their lives, kind of like the old Kodak Instamatics that people used to buy.

Those snapshot images have just as much impact on their memories as a high resolution tack sharp photo does.
I have lightened my camera equipment load considerably by switching to a M43 camera system and leaving my Canon DSLR and lenses behind. Now I can use a lighter and more compact lenses, tripods, gimbals, and smaller camera sling backpacks when I travel. I shoot mostly video and time lapse for display on 4K TVs.

People can do what they want with their smartphones. I sometimes take photos of receipts or rental car damage photos when I pick a car up. It is convenient. If people want photos of their heads in front of a postage stamp size monument, that's okay with me as long as they don't get in the way of my shot. People are free to do what they want. I just don't consider it photography.

We were at a wedding in France earlier this year, I was shocked to see that the wedding photos were being taken by the groom's brother with an Iphone. The family spent a lot of money for this wedding but for whatever reason didn't hire a photographer or videographer. The groom was convinced that an Iphone could do the job. I shot some video of the wedding in 4K with my Lumix camera and lenses. The results were spectacular. So much so that the bride and groom (whom we have know for a long time) contacted us for our video as the photos with the Iphone were less than spectacular. They even created their their digital wedding album from screen captures of the video I took.

There are times when you can use a smartphone to take a picture for convenience. But there are times where they just don't deliver the results.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #3091
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of time lapses, I've gotten good time lapses from capturing on my iPhone for 3-5 minutes.

Enough to see the clouds move.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #3092

Quote:
Speaking of time lapses, I've gotten good time lapses from capturing on my iPhone for 3-5 minutes.

Enough to see the clouds move.
Can your Iphone shoot a time-lapse like this one? This was shot with a $300 Panasonic Lumix bridge camera.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #3093

Quote:

More than one relative has commented that they can always tell my photos from other's at family events. That's because I use a DSLR, the appropriate lens, additional lighting if needed, and know the difference between an f-stop and ISO.

Given their light weight, small size, and purpose secondary to the phone, the images taken by cell phone cameras are truly impressive given their limitations. But those limitations are severe. And the disdain is rightfully reserved not for the equipment, but for those who don't even know there is a difference.

That said, there is no quarrel that "the best camera is the one you have with you".
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #3094
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can your Iphone shoot a time-lapse like this one? This was shot with a $300 Panasonic Lumix bridge camera.

No but when I'm going from point to point, trying to cover a lot of ground, I can get a capture in 3-5 minutes, no tripod, no post-processing.

I have also captured for 20-40 minutes sometimes but these are often places full of people so they walk in front of your camera and so on when I'm trying to capture a distant landscape.

Hey I enjoy my big camera photos too. But I only carry it around on my trips, rarely on a day to day basis at home.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #3095
Give me a forum ...

I have no illusion that a fancy camera would turn me into a protégé of Ansel Adams.

Thought about getting a DSLR a few times, then decided that a pocket camera was all I needed to take travel snapshots, when I wanted something better than could be taken with a smartphone. Even with this little camera, the limitation that shows up in the results is more mine than its.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But those limitations are severe. And the disdain is rightfully reserved not for the equipment, but for those who don't even know there is a difference.
I will also add that the vast majority of people taking pictures and video with smartphones shoot in portrait mode (9 x 16) whereas all monitors and TVs display in 16 x 9. Then they wonder why their photos or videos look strange with those big black bars on the left and right side when they display them on a monitor or TV.

These two articles discuss what smartphones have done to photography.

https://sleeklens.com/are-camera-pho...g-photography/

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...-camera-phones
Old 08-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #3097
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I've never shot a time-lapse, and didn't know that an iPhone could do a time lapse until I just looked. I'll try a timelapse this weekend with an iPhone and Sony RX100 and see what happens. I'm 100% sure neither will be as good as yours.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #3098
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have no illusion that a fancy camera would turn me into a protégé of Ansel Adams.

Thought about getting a DSLR a few times, then decided that a pocket camera was all I needed to take travel snapshots, when I wanted something better than could be taken with a smartphone. Even with this little camera, the limitation that shows up in the results is more mine than its.
As the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #3099
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Yeah but you have a lot of ceiling to improve and try out types of things you may not have considered before.

High end cameras are one of the things that a lot of engineers gravitate to, as one of their first toys if they already have a fancy car or aren't too interested in cars.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've never shot a time-lapse, and didn't know that an iPhone could do a time lapse until I just looked. I'll try a timelapse this weekend with an iPhone and Sony RX100 and see what happens. I'm 100% sure neither will be as good as yours.
You already take superb still photos so that's 90% of the effort. Just use an intervalometer (if you don't already have one built into your camera) and shoot 30 pictures for every second of your time lapse at intervals that exceed your exposure time by at least 1/2 second. Just sit back and relax while the camera does the work and take in the scenery. Take the shot at multiple angles. If your camera does not generate time lapse videos directly from the photos, use software such as Lightroom to generate the time lapse video. Edit your video clips together and add a background track and then magic happens.
I started with sunrises and sunsets with objects in the foreground. Then I did many time lapse videos of the milky way which can be incredible with a nice foreground object (like your photo). Now I use time lapse clips in my video projects for effect or create entire videos using time lapse.

I decided that during my early retirement I would focus on my interests, photography, video, and music along with travel. One advantage we have living around Los Angeles is that we are in one of the world's largest movie set with plenty of support for my hobbies.
Closed Thread