The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while... At one time I was into amateur photography, but have gotten away... This will be an interesting thread.
Prior to retirement, I had my own business in computerized signs. This involved some photography, as well as using software to adjust and improve the visuals. So now, I wonder what types of programs photographers use to enhance pictures. I used Corel 3 and then Corel 10, but frankly it was a bit over my head, as I recall trying to understand and deal with things like layers and vector graphics. In fact, before the advances in computerized programs, the only way to create vinyl/computer signage was to manually digitize forms, shapes, logos etc... an art in itself.

So, out of curiosity... do you (anyone) use Graphic editors? If so, which ones?In my dotage, have decided that Irfanview is more than enough for me to deal with, in the kind of pics that I take today.

My brother was involved with photography conversion from Rotogravure, which was acid etching... for glossy magazines, to digital (pixel) based computerized editing... back in the early to mid 1980's, long before JPEG was a standard. His project was funded by the Boston
Globe, and finally resulted in multimillion dollar savings in printing costs, as well as (sadly) putting professional etching artists out of business. It was fascinating to see a computer break down pixels for editing, long before I knew what a pixel was.

Last edited:
So, out of curiosity... do you (anyone) use Graphic editors? If so, which ones?In my dotage, have decided that Irfanview is more than enough for me to deal with, in the kind of pics that I take today.

Adobe Lightroom is enough for about 99% of my editing. Once in a while I need to do something more complicated or use a plugin so I also have Photoshop Elements.

Hummers from two weeks ago outside of Estes Park, Co. Area is a mess now with all of the flooding.

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

How did you get your guys to pose? Nice Pics.
My neighbors have left the campground for the season, so now I have about 8 of the little fellas depending on me befoire their trip to Texas or Chile...
The original guys are very territorial and do more fighting than eating/sipping.
From inside the house.

Attachments

• hummer.jpg
    hummer.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 40
Hummingbird picture time!

Saw this guy taking a drink from a fountain this afternoon. I had the camera in autofocus and it had a hard time focusing on this fidgety little bird.

Canon SX50HS, f/6.5, 1/1600s, ISO320, 1200mm lens. Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco.

Last edited:

Saw this guy taking a drink from a fountain this afternoon. I had the camera in autofocus and it had a hard time focusing on this fidgety little bird.

Canon SX50HS, f/6.5, 1/1600s, ISO320, 1200mm lens. Yerba Buena Gardens, San Francisco.

Yet more humming birds.
Wife shot these as jpg's, so no exposure data. I did HDR on the one at the feeder.
Both were shot with a Nikon D7000, no flash, Nikon - Micro 105mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR

Attachments

• image-1071212151.jpg
    image-1071212151.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image-2959968134.jpg
    image-2959968134.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 47
I do not want to disrupt the thread but do not know if it is appropriate to discus preferred equipment, but that would be helpful for us wannabees.

Discussing gear is a whole another hobby in itself.:)

It started when DW and I took a 4-week adult ed class in using Photoshop Elements and I was astonished at what it could do. Later on I bought Lightroom and that was another revelation and I use that for 90% of my images. But I enjoy the full version of Photoshop and the extra precision that allows. There is, ahem, a learning curve with PS though. Software with over 500 menu commands and an apparently infinite number of adjustments is going to have that. Buying a book for both is highly recommended.

But it's neat to be able to make composite images like this one, or the sunset one in which I bracketed exposures and used the lower quarter of one exposed for the landscape and dimmed that down so just a bit of the texture and color of the trees showed through instead of just being silhouetted. Or in family photos I'll retouch out blemishes and bruises - no one has yet noticed, or if they did they didn't say anything.

Attachments

• triple_me-1.jpg
    triple_me-1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 44
  • low_light-1.jpg
    low_light-1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 37
Another national park, another bear. This was taken last year in Grand Teton NP. Our first morning there after a rainy night we found grizzly mom #610 and her 3 cubs digging around right next to the road. It was such an amazing experience. We were the only people out there so early in the AM and sat in our SUV watching these bears for over an hour. We couldn't believe our luck on our first full day in our first national park visit.

Canon 5DMKII - Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X - f/7.1 - ISO3200 - No Flash
7436116282_b8e1b69ba8_c.jpg

One more. The bears moved off a ways into the sagebrush so we were out of the car taking photos. Then mama bear starting coming back towards the road. This was about the time we decided we had better get back into the car.

Canon 5DMKII - Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X - f/7.1 - ISO1600 - No Flash
7436124554_9b210ca15d_c.jpg

1200mm and it barely is big enough. Bird photography isn't for wimps is it?!?!?!

Get your farm fresh unpasteurized milk! Bring your own bottle or buy one from the machine. Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Last edited:
1200mm and it barely is big enough. Bird photography isn't for wimps is it?!?!?!

It's already challenging enough to shoot with a 1200mm lens, but when the target is small and fast moving, well, all bets are off.

Larry Ellison's superyacht "Musashi" cruising on San Francisco Bay. Picture taken from 2+ miles away. Canon SX50HS, ISO80, f/5.6.

Last edited:
A few random shots from my w*rk computer...

Attachments

• bahama.jpg
    bahama.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 34
  • hc02.jpg
    hc02.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 35
  • sd02.jpg
    sd02.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 37
  • ocean02.jpg
    ocean02.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This is the Navy Tac Demo Team from last year. Wish they were performing this year!

All shots taken with Canon 5DMKII, Canon 70-200mm MKII + 2X

8044757350_30b1ed3ba8_c.jpg

8044749727_3f55e50d0c_c.jpg

8044928456_e3173f5a64_c.jpg

Get your farm fresh unpasteurized milk! Bring your own bottle or buy one from the machine. Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Your pic (kinda) reminded me of this snapshot (taken from our car) near Mbour, Senegal in the mid 1980s:

2pq6ik4.jpg

Along a similar vein...

Attachments

• tads.jpg
    tads.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 32
  • luckenbach.jpg
    luckenbach.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back