The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice portrait Tom. Only suggestion might be to get rid of those bright spots at the bottom right. They pull the eye away from the face.

Sensor cleaning

For those with DSLR cameras, what do you use to clean the sensor, or do you send it out to have it done? I've been using Delkin Devices' kit, which for the most part seems to work okay, but I'm not thrilled with it. It takes half-a-dozen or more swabs to get everything off, and even then there are still faint spots. I guess that's oil?

I've tried Photographic Solutions' swabs but they leave lint on the sensor.

I've read reviews on most of the methods/brands etc. and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner.
I have a Canon DSLR when it is turned off the LCD display indicates it is doing a sensor cleaning. I don't have any idea what it actually does to clean the device.

I have a Canon DSLR when it is turned off the LCD display indicates it is doing a sensor cleaning. I don't have any idea what it actually does to clean the device.
Mine is an EOS 20D, which was before they introduced these "self-cleaning" sensors. I believe that it vibrates the sensor so that any loose dust falls onto a nearby piece of sticky tape (kind of like flypaper). It's probably not as thorough as using a swab dipped in cleaning solution.

Some people love to clean their sensors. I try to stay away from mine as much as possible. I plan only to clean it only if absolutely necessary.

It took 4 years but my Canon 5DMKII got to the point of demanding a sensor cleaning. We live in an arrid, dusty climate and also have been in a number of dust storms in Utah. For some reason NIK Silver EFX really accentuated the dust spots. I spent 25 minutes editing out spots in one particular photo and then did some research on sensor cleaners.

Ordered a kit from Copper Hill, the one that includes the magnifier to view the sensor, for about $60. Kits without the magnifier are less than $30:

Sensor Cleaning

I had to go through the process 4 or 5 times but got a perfectly clean sensor. I would rate the process as "easy"

If you have 5 minutes to spare and have any interest, here's a deal I put together before deciding to go back to still photography. The trailhead for this hike is about 10 minutes from here. The video and all the stills were shot with a Canon HFS10 video camera.

It doesn't look like the local deer population ate well over the winter
13825526084_a215c8b499_h.jpg

Last edited:
took these yesterday at the orchid show at ny botanical.

140412_M%26M%20PHOTO-60-X3.jpg

140412_M%26M%20PHOTO-44-2-X3.jpg

140412_M%26M%20PHOTO-65-X3.jpg

140412_M%26M%20PHOTO-39-X3.jpg

Don't deer always lose weight, and sometimes die, over the winter(s)?

Generally yes, but this winter was worse than most in most areas. The ones around here are looking pretty skinny as well.

We're finally getting spring around Cincinnati. 4 to 6 inches? What's your latitude, anyway?

We're finally getting spring around Cincinnati. 4 to 6 inches? What's your latitude, anyway?

We're about 38 North, straight west of Pueblo, CO at 8450 ft. We ended up with about 4 inches. Our old place on the west side of Denver got a foot. It was in the 60's all last week, back into the 50's tomorrow.

This morning

Got desperate to find signs of spring, found some blossoms on a neighbor's tree. Okay, they're little. The wind was blowing so much I had to hold it still even with a flash just to focus. Next month should be better.

Practiced a bit with the pen tool in Photoshop to cut it out.

Attachments

• Blossom-1.jpg
    Blossom-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
  • Blossom-2.jpg
    Blossom-2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 11
Mr. Paul, Enjoyed the video. Can't get over how clean the water was and you could see the fish so clearly.

Got desperate to find signs of spring, found some blossoms on a neighbor's tree. Okay, they're little. The wind was blowing so much I had to hold it still even with a flash just to focus. Next month should be better.

Practiced a bit with the pen tool in Photoshop to cut it out.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397521061.847205.jpg

Same problem ... Gusting wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom