The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert - some nice photos of Bali.

Did you enjoy the trip there?

I have been there a lot but you need to pick your spot in Bali these days.

I did enjoy my stay. I have been there a few times myself. Photo 1 and 3 are from Ubud and #2 is from the small island of Gili Trawangan. I have found the Balanese people to be welcoming. There have been a few bombings in Kuta and Jinburan in the past. I think most of the trouble comes from outsiders. Prices were a bit higher than when I had been there in the past!

Here are some photos taken yesterday at the Jakarta port.

The wooden ships are all working vessels.

Attachments

• E_DSC4941 RESIZE.jpg
    E_DSC4941 RESIZE.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E_DSC4945 RESIZE.jpg
    E_DSC4945 RESIZE.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 11
  • E_DSC4982 RESIZE.jpg
    E_DSC4982 RESIZE.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 11
  • E_DSC4990 RESIZE.jpg
    E_DSC4990 RESIZE.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 11
  • E_DSC4996 RESIZE.jpg
    E_DSC4996 RESIZE.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 11
Why all the rust stains on the wood hulls? From the ironwork above deck? I'd think it would wash off with spray but apparently not.

It just looks out of place to see rust on wood like that.

Possibly the rust is from whatever iron fasteners are used to secure the wood hull to the frame - just a guess, looking at the pattern of rust...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Neat photos...

Some photos of my grandson's soccer game last night in low lighting. Unfortunately he took one for the team when he stopped a shot with his face instead of his hands. The pictures are sequential as he shook it off and got back in position.

img_1515790_0_60e938714268701be4026f4f587fb7fb.jpg

img_1515790_1_3b85dc68c61570a9ae322a698f422c77.jpg

img_1515790_2_320d0a57fd48dbfc91b7b706a5b97931.jpg

Not sure about the rust - I agree with Seraphim, must be from the iron fasteners.

As you can see, 2 men were repairing the wooden planks with a hammer and chisel - so definitely wooden.

One of the (admittedly few) benefits of the polar vortex is that the cold is often accompanied by clear, sunny conditions. And thanks to the moderating effects of the Pacific Ocean, the coast doesn't get nearly as frigid.

Can't say I get to do a lot of kayaking in the month of November, but I cannot resist on days such as this. The Salish Sea calls.... and I will obey. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 19
Today from Juanita Beach Park, and Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland WA

View towards Seattle, View across the Bay, B-r-r-r Chilly, and Teal Winged Duck on the frozen lake edge!

-- Rita

Attachments

• DSCN0073e.jpg
    DSCN0073e.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0074e.jpg
    DSCN0074e.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0094e.jpg
    DSCN0094e.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0087e.jpg
    DSCN0087e.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 15
Found this 10 or 12 point buck in my front yard. Too bad I didn't have time to adjust the camera settings.

I've had that issue too. By the time I get the camera focused they're heading for the trees.

I've had that issue too. By the time I get the camera focused they're heading for the trees.

That's why we finally got a DSLR back in 2005; my wife got tired of pointing her camera at the grandkids, and by the time it decided it wanted to shoot, the kids would have scattered to new interests and she'd have a picture of the carpet...

A Nikon D50. I'm still using it with a 18-200 zoom for semi-serious picture-taking, trying to decide if I can get enough dynamic range from the NEF files to avoid sinking money into something in which my interest has been intermittent. The recent train pictures I posted were Fine JPEG right out of the camera, with some post-processing in Picasa, and GIMP for a few. They look fine at web resolutions, and I don't see myself preparing a gallery show anytime soon. But I had to work the exposure on every image in order to pull out shadows or tone down highlights, so having more dynamic range in the camera sensor would be nice. Of note is that, except for occasional cropping, I'm quite fine with 6MP resolution.

But, the time to 'gear up' is probably now, while I'm still w*rking... :D

The increased resolution of newer cameras is extremely nice for cropping. I'm not sure what the dynamic range of a D50 is, but if you're careful not to overexpose, it should be fine. Used to shoot 'chromes which had a dynamic range of about 5 lol.

BUT - you know you're going to want something better. Wait as long as you can then get the nicest body/sensor you can afford. It will last a long time. Loved my D200 up until the time I dumped the canoe. When I got my new camera, I was glad I dumped the canoe.

Even if DW was in the canoe at the time...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416235140.715336.jpg

Snowed a little last night. Iphone photo from front porch...

taken Saturday morning with the itty bitty Sony RX100 III. Love having it handy and not having to "settle" for iphone pics.

Great shot Mr Paul - but I haven't seen any closeups of Sophie lately. I have a Sony RX-100 also. Great camera -especially for those times that I don't want to carry a dslr. And like you - it's great not having to settle for iPhone pics. I usually take the Sony wherever I go.

Thanks Ronstar ... yep the Sony was on my belt clip the entire 3 week camping trip. Love it!

The first two of Sophie were with a Canon 300mm + the 1/4x extender. The last one was with a Rokinon 14mm.

I'd call that a lot of snow!

Hope not too much more coming your way.

I have to admit I love living in the tropics and not having to worry about cold weather.

We enjoy colder weather. I'd enjoy visiting the tropics, but not sure I'd want to live there...

Now that I am ER'ed, I am really trying to be judicious in my purchases - especially in my first year or two of my "new life". But every time I venture into this thread and see the great images posted by others, I realize I NEED A GREAT CAMERA. The photographic opportunities around me are an endless bounty - but taking shots of all these wonders with an iPhone is rather insulting to the material.

I am undecided on whether my first post-ER indulgent purchase will be a high end camera, a big (12" diameter) deep space telescope, or an underwater hydrophone setup (to listen to orca sounds). I want all three badly. First world problem, I know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom