The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have the screens out for cleaning/weathersealing the porch and deck presents some opportunities for spiderweb photos. These were last night, lighted by either a pair of SB-900's or the Nikon R1 macro flash with the 85mm macro lens.

Attachments

• Along_came_a_spider-1.jpg
    Along_came_a_spider-1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Along_came_a_spider-2.jpg
    Along_came_a_spider-2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Along_came_a_spider-3.jpg
    Along_came_a_spider-3.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 23
While I have the screens out for cleaning/weathersealing the porch and deck presents some opportunities for spiderweb photos. These were last night, lighted by either a pair of SB-900's or the Nikon R1 macro flash with the 85mm macro lens.

Perfect Halloween pics!:LOL:

DW actually suggested printing it out and taping to the front door on Halloween. Very unusual for her to think of anything about scaring the kids.

These were this morning, it was raining so hard one could hardly see the trees but by the time I got the tripod and camera out the rain had almost stopped so I decided to do some panoramas instead. I didn't plan anything outside because of the forecast for lots of nasty weather that didn't materialize. That last one is a full 180° panorama on the back porch. Nikon 10-24mm zoom, tripod (fairly low light and small aperture for depth of field).

Attachments

• Backyard_fall-1.jpg
    Backyard_fall-1.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 14
  • Back_porch_3.jpg
    Back_porch_3.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Back_porch_fall.jpg
    Back_porch_fall.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Back_porch_pano.jpg
    Back_porch_pano.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 15
Nice lighting on that spider.

I shot this in the woods. nikon D7000, 50mm hand held. Happy Halloween.

Attachments

• image-2841668759.jpg
    image-2841668759.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image-2961081444.jpg
    image-2961081444.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 12

Thanks for posting your lighting technique! It helps to see a shot and how the photographer provided lighting for it.

That's a nice view FIREd - a good clear view of Sutro Tower. When I can see Sutro Tower from Oakland, I know it's a clear day. I'm not sure that I'm completely keen on the horizon dividing the frame in half - would prefer to see the horizon line lower down or higher up, but that may just be me. Photography is such a subjective thing.

That's a nice view FIREd - a good clear view of Sutro Tower. When I can see Sutro Tower from Oakland, I know it's a clear day. I'm not sure that I'm completely keen on the horizon dividing the frame in half - would prefer to see the horizon line lower down or higher up, but that may just be me. Photography is such a subjective thing.

Looking through my picture library, it looks like I tend to divide the frame in half with the horizon when I take a picture of a landscape with no apparent focal point. I don't find it shocking personally, but thanks for making me aware of it.

There is a rule of composition known as the rule of thirds. I don't know much about these things (and have an in-built resistance to following rules set for me by other people), but it does seem to help create pleasing compositions, at least to my eye.

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am aware of that rule. My camera even has rule-of-third guidelines to help compose the picture but I just realized that I turned that feature off for whatever reason. I usually don't like cropping my pictures, but lowering the horizon does make for a more pleasing composition, I think:

Last edited:
There is a rule of composition known as the rule of thirds. I don't know much about these things (and have an in-built resistance to following rules set for me by other people), but it does seem to help create pleasing compositions, at least to my eye.

Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was thinking of that when you made your comment. I also find it kind of funny - it seems like something as subjective as a pleasing visual should not have such rules, and I'm not such a big fan of rules like that. But I tend to find that those rules almost always work.

It is a nice photo, I think one thing that makes it a bit tough to split into thirds is that the sky is divided by half, and, IMO, cropping some of the foreground loses some of the interest there. But either way, a very nice photo.

-ERD50

Thought I'd share a couple of photos that always make me smile.

I took these on a camping trip to Big Sur a few years back. Totally amateur efforts, but I'm kind of proud of them, considering how hard it was not to laugh at the time. :blush:

(PS - squirrels apparently like Peet's French Roast)

Attachments

• wired_squirrel3.JPG
    wired_squirrel3.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 27
  • wired_squirrel1.JPG
    wired_squirrel1.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 24
Rosie - love those photos. I just hope the little feller didn't actually eat any Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

Rosie - love those photos. I just hope the little feller didn't actually eat any Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

Oh heavens no!! We're not that generous.

Plus, feeding animals in parks is a big no no ... I prolly shouldn't have let the critter take a taste of my morning coffee, but he snuck up on me (honest ossifer!) and then it was just too funny a pic to pass up. :LOL:

Oh heavens no!! We're not that generous.

Plus, feeding animals in parks is a big no no ... I prolly shouldn't have let the critter take a taste of my morning coffee, but he snuck up on me (honest ossifer!) and then it was just too funny a pic to pass up. :LOL:

Pet peeve alert: Feeding the critters, whether ducks, gulls, squirrels, even bears, turns them into pests, and in the case of bears, dangerous ones!

Besides, that squirrel would have to wrestle me for a KK donut!

Squirrels are the most fantastic little creatures - industrious and inquisitive. What's not to like? I know they can be destructive but as a member of the human race, I think we have them beat on that score!

This is a new tea bowl that I bought from a Taiwanese potter. In this picture I wanted to show both the texture and the translucence of the bowl. Canon SX50HS, ISO80, f/8, 15s exposure.

Last edited:
Playing with lighting can be interesting. This is just a plain, dull, dead leaf. Put a light behind it and the image becomes a bit more interesting. Although it looks like late afternoon sunlight it's actually a SB-900 flash with a half CTO gel on it.

Attachments

• Fallen_leaf.jpg
    Fallen_leaf.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 23
Fired and Tom

I think the rule of thirds works more efficiently when using the intersection of horizontal and vertical lines - not just horizontal. The intersections are considered power points.

But there's a lot more compositional elements. The phot of the dawn sky has a lot of other potential, IMO, which isn't being used.

Color is just one element; the most used (because people never learn the others) and, IMO, least important.

Erd

They are not really rules, but guidelines for beginners making compositions (no offense anyone). Once an artist has more complete understanding of composition, the guidelines become moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom