The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorful boats. I really like the sun over the water.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just find it difficult to locate small, interesting items to photograph with macro. I think bugs and stamen and pistils are overdone lol

I have the same issue. Trying to "think creatively" I mostly draw a blank.

Here are some photos from the Jember Carnival yesterday. The photos are basically straight from the camera but compressed to web page size.

All photos taken using a Nikon 70 - 300mm lense.

For the first 2 photos there was no flash (so those eyes are not due to a flash!!).

Last photo used an external flash as it was getting later in the afternoon and the sun was fading.

A great day and well recommended for anyone into photography.

Attachments

• _DSC2986 edit 1 compress.jpg
    _DSC2986 edit 1 compress.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC3267 edit 1 compress.jpg
    _DSC3267 edit 1 compress.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC3323 edit 1 compress.jpg
    _DSC3323 edit 1 compress.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 14
Entered this into a small photo show, and got best of show in black and white. Luckily there were only about 10 B&W shots in the show.

14726393901_4dc94d6e32_k.jpg

Nice shots, both of you. A lot of people here with a good eye.

Interesting contacts on the girls. Well, interesting EVERYTHING on the girls lol.

The Photographers' Corner

Looking around for still life material - went out into the garage and saw a lot of tools of my grand father's and father's. Granddad made the wooden toolbox and the oil can. The wood strips are from a restoration I never finished *cough*

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1408993436.931190.jpg

Considered another shot with a smaller aperture, but like the slight soft focus of the wrench. I think it gives the shot a bit of depth.

Single soft box, no reflector...

Interesting contacts on the girls. Well, interesting EVERYTHING on the girls lol.

Interesting girls and guys - a fun weekend at the Carnival.

The problem with shooting these models is they move so fast - so maybe still life is better.

The Photographers' Corner

You did a good job on quick moving subjects - just needs different techniques from studio. No one genre is better than the other. I'd rather be outside shooting than inside, personally. Been too hot and muggy, so I spend time in the studio.

Last edited:
It was hot sitting in the tropical sun waiting for the carnival parade!! The price to be paid to get a good spot and clear view.

This morning I have been climbing mountains (more like large hills) - but some great landscape shots. Will post some.

Java Coffee

If you enjoy a cup of Java coffee, you may be interested to see where the real Java coffee comes from.

I took these photos this morning on a walk through the hills at Kalibaru in East Java. This is coffee grown by the local villagers, not a commercial plantation.

Attachments

• Coffee buds on the tree.jpg
    Coffee buds on the tree.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Coffee flowers.jpg
    Coffee flowers.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 9
  • Coffee beans on the tree.jpg
    Coffee beans on the tree.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here are some shots of the coffee grower, the coffee beans drying and then the finished cup of coffee.

There were a few steep and slippery hills to climb in the heat to get these shots but I was not carrying a 50kg fertilizer bag like some of the locals, so I cannot complain.

I enjoyed the coffee after the 4 hour walk.

Attachments

• Coffee beans drying.jpg
    Coffee beans drying.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Coffee grower Kalibaru 26 August 2014.jpg
    Coffee grower Kalibaru 26 August 2014.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Coffee ready to drink.jpg
    Coffee ready to drink.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 6
It seems just when Seraphim got home with the camper, I left with mine. Three week road trip to the NW including a wonderful 9 days on the OR / WA coast with Richard, my youngest son.

Really enjoyed catching up. Love the water shots, Walt. Ronstar on fire with the car shots and the killer AWARD WINNING BW. Enjoying the wonderful shots from Aus_E_expat. Seraphim, great job on the still life ... love the faucet shot as well.

Very happy with the new Sony RX100III. Carried it on my belt the whole time and got a lot of shots I would have missed with the big Canon ... though the Big Gun did come out when the situation called.

Overwhelmed with the number of pics to sort through. Thought I'd start with some Sophie the dog shots.

Flaming Gorge (UT/WY)

First taste of the Pacific, north of Gold Beach, OR

Bandon, OR

Collecting Sand to deposit in the truck ... WA coast

Quillayute River near Rialto Beach, WA

Crescent Lake, WA

Back Home and happy

Reflections in water in the creek out back yesterday.

Attachments

• Down_at_the_creek-1.jpg
    Down_at_the_creek-1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Down_at_the_creek-2.jpg
    Down_at_the_creek-2.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 10
Great shots of Sophie as usual, Mr. Paul!

Keep them coming, and enjoy your trip!

Welcome back Mr Paul! The first and fifth shots are my favorite. We still have to do the continental NW. Maybe in the spring?

Anyone here?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409331948.198451.jpg

Yes, been following along, just not shooting much. By the time I get the morning stuff done (either gym or cardiac rehab class/exercise) it's mid-afternoon and generally not a good time to shoot outside.

"Retirement"

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1409354596.403881.jpg

Lol

Readers of this thread may be interested in checking out a new tool for searching the Library of Congress' collection of 170,000 Depression- and WWII-era photographs. Perhaps the most famous of all:
8b29516r.jpg

You can search by location, date and subject matter. Other categories are coming.

Photogrammar

Here are 3 more photos I took last Sunday at the Jember Carnival.

Great event for photographers.

All of these taken with Nikon D7100 using 70-300mm lense.

Attachments

• _DSC2761 edit compressed.jpg
    _DSC2761 edit compressed.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC2619 edit 1 compressed.jpg
    _DSC2619 edit 1 compressed.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC2721 edit 1 compressed.jpg
    _DSC2721 edit 1 compressed.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 14
Readers of this thread may be interested in checking out a new tool for searching the Library of Congress' collection of 170,000 Depression- and WWII-era photographs. Perhaps the most famous of all:
8b29516r.jpg

You can search by location, date and subject matter. Other categories are coming.

Photogrammar

Thanks for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom