The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You already take superb still photos so that's 90% of the effort. Just use an intervalometer (if you don't already have one built into your camera) and shoot 30 pictures for every second of your time lapse at intervals that exceed your exposure time by at least 1/2 second. Just sit back and relax while the camera does the work and take in the scenery. Take the shot at multiple angles. If your camera does not generate time lapse videos directly from the photos, use software such as Lightroom to generate the time lapse video. Edit your video clips together and add a background track and then magic happens.
I started with sunrises and sunsets with objects in the foreground. Then I did many time lapse videos of the milky way which can be incredible with a nice foreground object (like your photo). Now I use time lapse clips in my video projects for effect or create entire videos using time lapse.

I decided that during my early retirement I would focus on my interests, photography, video, and music along with travel. One advantage we have living around Los Angeles is that we are in one of the world's largest movie set with plenty of support for my hobbies.

My Sony DSC RX 100 does not have an intervalometer. I tried to download Sony's time-lapse app. Didn't work. Found a third party freebie. And it works. Here it is in case anyone with one of many Sony's want to check it out:

It's great to tie several interests together (photography, travel, video, music, etc) And it's great that you have LA for your playground. Lots of interesting places to create videos.

Since we're talking about photography in addition to sharing photos, any advice on photography for dummies, maybe one technique/setting to master first? I feel like I've got a good eye for framing, but all I've done is use my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K on full auto. I'm looking for baby steps; although I'd probably be interested in reading in-depth information on the more complex parts of it, I find I really need a lot of hands-on practice before I can feel comfortable with a skill, so I'm looking to just dip my toe into the shallow end in practice.

Since we're talking about photography in addition to sharing photos, any advice on photography for dummies, maybe one technique/setting to master first? I feel like I've got a good eye for framing, but all I've done is use my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K on full auto. I'm looking for baby steps; although I'd probably be interested in reading in-depth information on the more complex parts of it, I find I really need a lot of hands-on practice before I can feel comfortable with a skill, so I'm looking to just dip my toe into the shallow end in practice.

I'm no expert myself, but I shoot mostly landscapes with a tripod in aperture priority, usually around F11, trying to keep ISO as low as possible, letting the shutter speed float. Sometimes shutter speed will be more than a few seconds. Try to shoot early morning or late afternoon or overcast days to get the best possible light, and very little wind.

Usually focus about one third into the scene, but sometimes take multiple exposures with various focal points and focus stack (blend) the images in photoshop. When I do, I use live view and zoom in on the lcd screen to sharpen the focus.

Sometimes use filters to avoid blown out highlights in the sky.

Sometimes bracket 3 or 5 exposures and have Lightroom process an HDR.

For quick landscape shots without a tripod, I use aperture priority, adjust the aperture and ISO to try to keep shutter speed somewhere between 1/100 and 1/320.

On the rare occasion that I shoot something moving, I use shutter priority, holding shutter speed in accordance with how fast the subject is moving.

Looks like you have a great eye for framing based on your photos. I also try to use the "rule of thirds" and "leading lines" as much as possible. Learned that in beginning photography class.

Lots of great advice online.

Last edited:

On Lumix cameras the intelligence auto mode (IA) works well for the average shot. However I never use it as I can't have the exposure jump between frames. Whether shooting time lapse or video, I always use aperture priority with white balance held constant and ISO 100 or 200. I set iDynamic (Lumix cameras only) to high. The aperture is never more than F11 due to diffraction. I use autofocus for the initial focus and then fine tune with manual focus using the focus assist feature. I shoot mostly video and don't use built-in camera features like focus stacking and exposure bracketing. However the iDynamic setting to high, significantly improves the dynamic range. For me, aperture priority is the most useful camera/video mode since you can control the depth of field. On bright sunny days when shooting video, I will use a neutral density filter to slow the shutter down to avoid stuttering caused by a high speed shutter. I normally use a tripod or gimbal for shooting. For places that prohibit the use of tripods a find a base to rest the camera. I also use a remote shutter cable to shoot especially in low light situations.

We will probably head to the beach this weekend to shoot a video. There is a topless day march by a woman's group this weekend. What could go wrong with that?

I've just returned from bringing my twin granddaughters to the bus stop, where Elizabeth spent time showing me her cellphone captures before the bus arrived. She's enamored with sun-in-the-frame, and she's got a few interesting compositions of such. With both I discussed rule-of-thirds using their captures for examples.

They're both really getting into imaging, and I'm not going to pick at them just because they're doing it with their cellphones. You can compose a scene well with any camera, indeed I think that's the first and essential skill to master. We'll get to dynamic range, color management, and all that other stuff later...

DW gets amazing pics from hot iPhone XS, but then she’s been a photog since the film days.

Just so we're clear: https://time.com/5660278/smartphone-camera-picture-tips/

companies beefing up photo resolution, adding more lenses, and integrating photo storage options that keep you snapping without fear of filling your camera roll. Ask anyone with an Instagram account and you’ll soon discover the camera is the killer feature on any smartphone.

If you’ve got the latest and greatest smartphone, you should step up your photography game to match. So here are some tips from professionals, along with some accessory recommendations, that will take your snapshot game from amateur to Ansel Adams.

Not taken with a "real" camera.

Ladder Team.JPG

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-607879-1.html (scroll down)

Run aground. Probably just needs a little work to get her back in the water.

Attachments

• vessel ran aground blur.jpg
    vessel ran aground blur.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Meziadin Lake, BC

Looking out from the campground.
Oh yeah, went out at midnight to see the aurora near here. Pretty impressive, had a few large pulses pass by overhead.

Attachments

• P8301016.jpg
    P8301016.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 47
  • EM120442.jpg
    EM120442.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 46
  • EM120473.jpg
    EM120473.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 46
We went to Venice Beach yesterday and shot some video and finished the edits this morning. Venice Beach is as crazy as ever. We had a late lunch in Santa Monica. I used a Canon EF 70-200 F4L and Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4 lens for most of the shooting on a Panasonic Lumix.

Looks nice, use a gimbal or some kind of rig to stabilize?

I'm no expert myself, but I shoot mostly landscapes with a tripod in aperture priority, usually around F11, trying to keep ISO as low as possible, letting the shutter speed float. Sometimes shutter speed will be more than a few seconds. Try to shoot early morning or late afternoon or overcast days to get the best possible light, and very little wind.

Usually focus about one third into the scene, but sometimes take multiple exposures with various focal points and focus stack (blend) the images in photoshop. When I do, I use live view and zoom in on the lcd screen to sharpen the focus.

Sometimes use filters to avoid blown out highlights in the sky.

Sometimes bracket 3 or 5 exposures and have Lightroom process an HDR.

For quick landscape shots without a tripod, I use aperture priority, adjust the aperture and ISO to try to keep shutter speed somewhere between 1/100 and 1/320.

On the rare occasion that I shoot something moving, I use shutter priority, holding shutter speed in accordance with how fast the subject is moving.

I would have written exactly the same thing. Try some books or videos about the type of photography you like.

Looks nice, use a gimbal or some kind of rig to stabilize?

I used a 3 axis motorized gimbal (Zhiyun Crane) and an ultra compact travel tripod (Mefoto Globetrotter Air) to stabilize the video during shooting, SonicFire Pro/Smartsound for the soundtrack, and Vegas Pro for the editing.

Photography is not about gadgets. Only rarely will you find that the auto settings detract from your images.

First, photography is about light. Look at the classics like Karsh, W. Eugene Smith, Ansel Adams, Richard Avedon, etc. None of those images was made with equipment nearly as good as your camera on auto.

Then look again at those guys for composition.

When you get tired of being serious, look at Bunny Yeager's stuff. The lighting, I mean. :LOL:

Then start studying the photos in current magazines. You will soon be able to discriminate between the photoshopped garbage and the really good stuff. National Geographic is, of course, always respected.

Above all, as has been said, get out and take pictures.

This is a quick recommendation of a documentary DW and I saw on Sunday called "Jay Myself", which is about legendary photographer Jay Maisel (the title refers to a mis-named piece of mail). 50 years ago Jay bought a 36,000 square foot building in New York called The Bank, and he recently sold it and had to move out 72 rooms of stuff related to his photography career. It's quite a fascinating documentary about Jay, his life, how he's filled his home/studio building, and changes in the New York neighborhood. I thought the group might like to know about it if someone else hasn't given the alert (I did a search for "Maisel" and nothing popped up, but if this is old news, apologies.)

The Harvest Moon

Photo of the harvest moon :popcorn:.

Attachments

• P1000620c.JPG
    P1000620c.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 34
Just came back from Las Vegas to shoot a night time lapse with my wife and I just finished the editing about 30 minutes ago. A lot of people are taking advantage of the legalization of pot over there. We were shooting after midnight and many people were stoned or toking. A few even offered me tokes. How could I refuse? Maybe that's why this time lapse turned out this way.

https://youtu.be/rJf20xV0lqc

Picture I took with my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone yesterday morning while having coffee at the end of our barn on our new lakefront property. I thought that the right to left color contrast and texture of the barn materials were absolutely amazing.

Attachments

• 20190920_172413.jpg
    20190920_172413.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 61
Made a video of our recent Banff trip, mostly hiking footage from a GoPro hero 7. Plus a few still shots. https://youtu.be/tsKR_IIQZV8

Cool video, seemed like you didn't get too much sun up there.

Where did you get the map animations?

Are those distances round-trip or each way?

Helmet mount for the GoPro? Seems pretty well stabilized, though you must have cut some footage where you're turning left and right to look at the surroundings.

Can you make it through most of those trails with a DSLR in hand or do you need those hiking poles in a lot of places?

I did not think us plebs with only cell phone cameras were allowed to post here. (Just kidding)

Nothing special, but free admission for locals today at our local lighthouse prompted these 2 pics. They are only poor cell phone pics but get to the point. This place is .5m from our home.

Attachments

• 20190921_111513.jpg
    20190921_111513.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190921_110138.jpg
    20190921_110138.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom