The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not think us plebs with only cell phone cameras were allowed to post here. (Just kidding)

Nothing special, but free admission for locals today at our local lighthouse prompted these 2 pics. They are only poor cell phone pics but get to the point. This place is .5m from our home.

Nice, we enjoyed viewing the boats being built at the lighthouse when we went. I bought one of those high quality brass bell souvenir , which are tiny but very low cost, we use it to call each other to the table at mealtime.

Cool video, seemed like you didn't get too much sun up there.

Where did you get the map animations?

Are those distances round-trip or each way?

Helmet mount for the GoPro? Seems pretty well stabilized, though you must have cut some footage where you're turning left and right to look at the surroundings.

Can you make it through most of those trails with a DSLR in hand or do you need those hiking poles in a lot of places?

Nope - didn't get any sun during the week we were there.

I do the map animations in Apple Keynote. Here's the tutorial that I used:

Hiking distances are round trip.

No helmet mount for the GoPro. I have it attached to a mini tripod and I carry it around using the tripod as a handle. I only have the GoPro on in short time segments when I want to film something. Most of the time it is off. Probably only had 30 minutes of raw video during the trip. The new GoPro is very good when it comes to stabilization.,

I had my dslr mounted on a chest harness while hiking with my GoPro in my coat pocket. So I could put the GoPro in my pocket, Detach the dslr from the harness and take a still photo. Then reattach the dslr to the harness and grab the GoPro for video.

I normally hike with a single wooden hiking staff. I couldn't take it on the plane, so I went stickless.

Ah cool.

I thought maybe there was something which would take the metadata of the videos and locate on the map on the map where it was taken.

Haven’t been around for a few years. Still retired, still camping around the country. Put away the Nikon D800 and mostly using the iPhone on a gimbal, rather than a tripod, for photography and video. Playing with the iPhone 11 pro camera now. Very impressed.

Hope everyone here has been doing well..

Sometimes I like to play with my camera in low light. All taken on my current trip in Italy.

x-20190927-00214-Six Mirrors.jpg
Six Mirrors
Old town Bologna

x-20190927-00208-In The Shadows.jpg
In the Shadows
Old town Bologna

x-20191003-00468-0472-DuomoAltarLand.jpg
Four Figures
The Duomo (Cathedral) in Orvieto
This image used luminosity masks to combine 3 photos into an HDR final result

Last edited:
Picture I took with my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone yesterday morning while having coffee at the end of our barn on our new lakefront property. I thought that the right to left color contrast and texture of the barn materials were absolutely amazing.

Did you fall down?:D

We spent the weekend in San Francisco and shot a time lapse video. The weather was fantastic for this time of year. It's an amazing location for photography/videography. I was surprised how crowded it was considering it's off season.

... ...The weather was fantastic for this time of year. It's an amazing location for photography/videography. I was surprised how crowded it was considering it's off season.
... ...

:2funny::2funny::2funny: Late September, early October is BEST time to visit SF...it is definitely NOT off season. In fact, it's wedding season.

Last edited:
Nice.

How do you get the pull in or pull back motion?

Are you using a motion control device like rails?

iPhone pano at Old Woman Bay, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Ontario. This morning.

Attachments

• 26AE53A2-8CAF-4152-983F-A49BCA8CFCDB.jpg
    26AE53A2-8CAF-4152-983F-A49BCA8CFCDB.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 31
:2funny::2funny::2funny: Late September, early October is BEST time to visit SF...it is definitely NOT off season. In fact, it's wedding season.

Wedding season? I didn't realize people got married any longer... We have been there in July many times for the fireworks, New Years Eve many times, and a few times in April/May. We will probably return again next September. It's a 5.5 hour drive door to hotel door.

Nice.

How do you get the pull in or pull back motion?

Are you using a motion control device like rails?

It's called a reverse dolly motion. You need a fixed subject (cooperating wife) and a gimbal. You can do it by moving forward and zooming out or moving backwards and zooming in for two different effects. What I did was ask my subject (wife) to stay still and stare at the bridge and not the camera and moved towards her with the camera on the gimbal. Since I don't have a power zoom on my camera, I zoomed out in post processing with Vegas Pro using the event pan/crop function keeping the subject about the same size. It's a neat effect used in a lot of classic movies.

It's called a reverse dolly motion. You need a fixed subject (cooperating wife) and a gimbal. You can do it by moving forward and zooming out or moving backwards and zooming in for two different effects. What I did was ask my subject (wife) to stay still and stare at the bridge and not the camera and moved towards her with the camera on the gimbal. Since I don't have a power zoom on my camera, I zoomed out in post processing with Vegas Pro using the event pan/crop function keeping the subject about the same size. It's a neat effect used in a lot of classic movies.

Handheld gimbal or tripod mounted gimbal?

Handheld gimbal or tripod mounted gimbal?

I used a hand held Crane 2 gimbal. I supposed if you had a dolly you could do the same or a slider at was long enough. I have a slider but it's too heavy to carry around. I also have dolly wheels that can be mounted under a tripod but that only works on smooth surfaces. The gimbal gives the most flexibility by just moving forward and not tripping on anything in front of you. To get this effect quickly, using a zoom lens focus on a subject while zoomed in, start moving towards the subject while zooming out. That's all there is to it.

So you film all the time-lapse on the gimbal?

I've looked at hand held gimbal but they're not light to carry around.

Would be worth it for time-lapse but the rest of the time, when I want to take regular pictures, that gimbal would be extra weight to carry around.

I guess some of them are down to about a pound.

I use a little turntable thing with a tripod to have some panning but when I bother to set up a tripod, I usually try to get at least 30-40 seconds of time lapse so that means capturing for 20-30 minutes in each location.

But maybe I should consider a different strategy, a handheld gimbal to get a lot of 5-10 second footage.

However, I'm also taking a drone on trips so my carryon is already pretty packed.

So you film all the time-lapse on the gimbal?

I've looked at hand held gimbal but they're not light to carry around.

Would be worth it for time-lapse but the rest of the time, when I want to take regular pictures, that gimbal would be extra weight to carry around.

I guess some of them are down to about a pound.

I use a little turntable thing with a tripod to have some panning but when I bother to set up a tripod, I usually try to get at least 30-40 seconds of time lapse so that means capturing for 20-30 minutes in each location.

But maybe I should consider a different strategy, a handheld gimbal to get a lot of 5-10 second footage.

However, I'm also taking a drone on trips so my carryon is already pretty packed.

No I use the gimbal for video shots only and sometimes for hyperlapse shots (moving time lapse). I use a tripod for time lapse shots and sometimes with a motorized pan head. I thought about getting a drone many times but decided to become more proficient shooting on earth first. Now that they are becoming more and more compact, I am reconsidering purchasing one. I have several tripods, but the one that I use most often now is a Mefoto Globetrotter Air. It weighs about 3 lbs and folds down to 12". I also have a Mefoto Roadtrip Air that is even lighter and folds down to 11". One of the reasons I went to a Lumix M43 system is to reduce weight. My Canon DSLR was far too heavy to carry with one hand on a gimbal.

When we travel take as carry-on, a Lowepro backpack that can hold 2 cameras, 6 lenses, filters, and accessories, spare batteries, and a laptop plus we take the small case containing the gimbal. In my luggage, I take two tripods and a Lowpro sling shoulder bag. When we get to our destination I pack the smaller sling bag with the equipment I plan to use that day to keep the weight down. A lot of our shooting involves hiking so the last thing we want to do is take extra equipment.

As far as shooting goes, I normally shoot 8-20 second clips. 4K video at 100 MBits/sec uses up storage fast. I also take a 1 TB Western Digital Wifi drive with me to offload the SD cards from my camera. I found that learning to edit is just as important as learning to shoot. All those photography/film courses that I took at University as unrestricted electives, that I thought were like basket weaving, are actually helping with this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom