The Photographers' Corner - 2021 to ?

Great pictures Ronster! That bald flying, is an amazing picture to be taken on a hike!

Great pictures Ronster! That bald flying, is an amazing picture to be taken on a hike!

Thanks street! I run into bald eagles on at least 80% of my winter hikes. 3 a couple weeks ago were too close to get a photo with a telephoto. I was resting behind an evergreen tree and they few barely over the tree and about 20' overhead. stunning.

Thanks street! I run into bald eagles on at least 80% of my winter hikes. 3 a couple weeks ago were too close to get a photo with a telephoto. I was resting behind an evergreen tree and they few barely over the tree and about 20' overhead. stunning.

Nice shots. This is from our "winter" hike yesterday. The views were incredible. We did a 5 mile loop (mostly vertical).

We did a 5 mile loop (mostly vertical).

Mostly vertical is right. The Chumash trail to Mugu Peak is one of the steepest in the area - a steady 30% grade for the first 3/4 mile or so. If you did 5 miles I'm guessing you connected with the Ray Miller trail and dropped back down into La Jolla Canyon. DW and I used to enjoy hiking there, but these days it's gotten hard on our knees.

Very nice video again. Sometimes I think I would love winters like that, instead of winters like we have here.

Mostly vertical is right. The Chumash trail to Mugu Peak is one of the steepest in the area - a steady 30% grade for the first 3/4 mile or so. If you did 5 miles I'm guessing you connected with the Ray Miller trail and dropped back down into La Jolla Canyon. DW and I used to enjoy hiking there, but these days it's gotten hard on our knees.

We started with the Chumash Trail which was a steep climb. Then we connected to the Mugu Peak trail and connected to the Loop trail in the La Jolla Valley. We took the Loop Trail and then connected back to the Mugu Peak trail and back down to the Chumash Trail. It is pretty hard on the knees descending down the trail but a good cardio workout on the way up.

Trapped indoors due to cold, I tried some indoor photos of my hiking sticks with some photoshopped backgrounds

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 6.35.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 6.35.57 AM.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 61
Last year I submitted a few shots to a small magazine photo contest. Recently they notified me that I had won the Grand Prize and some money! This is the winner: La Salle Falls in Starved Rock State Park, Illinois.

Beautiful pic! We lived not far from there when our kids were little. We bought our pop-up camper on our son's 3rd birthday (2/1995) and Starved Rock was our first trip in late April. It was cold!!

Put the drone up over the lake today, at least until I lost feeling in my fingertips.... We New Englanders have learned to just suck up winter until the warmer and brighter days come. Hopefully soon....

Attachments

• DJI_0238.jpg
    DJI_0238.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 59
...and later in the day from a bit higher up. 300+ ft.

Attachments

• DJI_0242.jpg
    DJI_0242.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 45
Ice storms are a PIA, but beautiful as well. Was on the generator and wood stoves yesterday for 3+ hours, but despite high winds today, lots of ice still on the trees (a high of 19 degrees helps with that) and the sunlighting is spectacular.

Attachments

• 20210217_152241.jpg
    20210217_152241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Oh, that reminds me of the last ice storm we had in mid-December, I got this picture of the sun on the ice-covered trees:

Attachments

• 2020-12-17 13.41.00-1.jpg
    2020-12-17 13.41.00-1.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 45
Still cold here - hiking through the frozen waterfalls at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois

Attachments

• starved rock ottawa falls 5k 02222021.jpg
    starved rock ottawa falls 5k 02222021.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 44
I went for a winter shoot for the first time, to Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio.

Attachments

• DSC_2530fb.jpg
    DSC_2530fb.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_2361fb.jpg
    DSC_2361fb.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 35
My son took a couple of pictures from his kayak, while paddling down the road after a heavy rain storm.

Attachments

• Mayfield Rd..jpg
    Mayfield Rd..jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Mayfield 2.jpg
    Mayfield 2.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 37
I need some pointers on better photos with my point and shoot cheapie camera lol. You'll see some of my crappy pics in other threads.

Taken while exercise walking in and adjacent to the city park.

x-20210113-00381-E1.JPG
Two flagpoles.

x-20210113-00389_D2-gEdit.JPG
A duck and 2 flagpoles. To create some blur, intentionally shot at a slow shutter speed with image stabilization off. Movement of the trees, leafs, and water courtesy of a windy day.

x-20201003-00161-gEdit.jpg
The bottom of my favorite hill for exercise walking.

Back
Top Bottom