The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an artist like you, not even trying to be one. Compared to most people here, I am an unskilled amateur (I'm shooting all my pictures with P&S cameras after all). My pictures are not meant to hang over someone's sofa (not even my own). They are snapshots meant to document my life. I use them in my photo-journal and they usually are for my eyes only. What attracted my eyes to the dawn sky was the color and for me that was the most important element in the picture. I captured what I saw. I was not trying to convey anything more than it was a beautiful morning with an awesome rainbow sky.

OFGS...

Attachments

• IMG_4528 crop.jpg
    IMG_4528 crop.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 12
I'm not an artist like you, not even trying to be one. Compared to most people here, I am an unskilled amateur (I'm shooting all my pictures with P&S cameras after all). My pictures are not meant to hang over someone's sofa (not even my own). They are snapshots meant to document my life. I use them in my photo-journal and they usually are for my eyes only. What attracted my eyes to the dawn sky was the color and for me that was the most important element in the picture. I captured what I saw. I was not trying to convey anything more than it was a beautiful morning with an awesome rainbow sky.

FIREd, I really enjoyed your photo and spent quite some time reflecting on it. Thank you for posting it!

Compliments also to all the photographers who have posted here. There is amazing talent on this board!

I too enjoy every picture I've seen posted here. I haven't commented on every one I wanted to, partially because I didn't want to make it seem as if I was snubbing the others (oh gosh, it all gets so complicated if you over-think things the way that I do sometimes.)

I hope I didn't take the conversation in the wrong direction by introducing the element of critique. That can be a slippery slope sometimes.

Bottom line for me is that it's fun looking at all your pictures everyone. Please post more! (I have a few of my own to post when I can just find 'em on the hard drive.......)

I hope I didn't take the conversation in the wrong direction by introducing the element of critique. That can be a slippery slope sometimes.

It is tough. Almost any photo could in hindsight be "a little bit better" but few have the luxury of time to spend 20 minutes pondering the possibilities.

Last February I saw this sunset developing and almost ran to get the camera. These were shot off the back porch because there clearly wouldn't be time to go anywhere else for a better composition so "you go with what you got". There is a difference between shots taken 30 seconds apart. Sometimes the light changes faster than that.

Attachments

• sunset-1.jpg
    sunset-1.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 9
  • sunset-2.jpg
    sunset-2.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 9
  • sunset-3.jpg
    sunset-3.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 11
  • sunset-4.jpg
    sunset-4.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 14
  • sunset-5.jpg
    sunset-5.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
FWIW, I read the comments just as analysis, things to think about regarding the hobby, not as a critique/criticism of any photo.

I don't take a lot of photos myself, but they are usually just documenting things, not too often do I try to do something 'artsy'. And I'm not too thrilled with my artsy attempts, which are just half-hearted anyway.

But if I come across something that I think is somewhat interesting, I'll post it here. I'm mostly just interested in seeing what others have done, and learn about techniques. I had to look up "half CTO gel", I really liked how that brought out the color on that leaf.

Interesting thread, and some very nice work.

-ERD50

Apologies if my comments were taken as critiques - they weren't meant that way. Just thought to initiate a conversation on composition for enjoyment.

The potential comment was meant as a compliment...

Last edited:
Apologies if my comments were taken as critiques - they weren't meant that way. Just thought to initiate a conversation on composition for enjoyment.

The potential comment was meant as a compliment...

I would love to have a conversation on composition. But let's not use someone else's picture to point out how they have it wrong or could do better, especially when they have not requested feedback. Use your own pictures and tell us what you think makes for a well-composed photograph. Then we'll all be inspired to do better.

Last edited:
An Arizona sunset. As far as composition - I think it fits the rule of thirds

Attachments

• image-400115946.jpg
    image-400115946.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 14
Very nice! That and a bunch of others here are worthy of hanging on the wall.

Here's an early morning picture I took while hiking up to Mt. Bierstadt earlier this year.

Attachments

• Bierstadt Pano-2-2.jpg
    Bierstadt Pano-2-2.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 12
That's OK Fire'd. I'm done. I'll just look at the photos.

Shot this on a photowalk last year and looked up, shot a few frames, then decided to move.

Attachments

• Do_not_stand_here.jpg
    Do_not_stand_here.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 11
Tried some night shots after the rain last night.
Nikon D7000, Nikon - Wide Angle AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED @ 10mm, with tripod, shot as JPG's

Attachments

• image-3196887144.jpg
    image-3196887144.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image-531215871.jpg
    image-531215871.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 8
I believe this is an Orb-Weaving spider. I found it in our tomato garden and used a KODAK DC4800 (12 yrs ago).

Attachments

• DCP_1581-e.jpg
    DCP_1581-e.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DCP_1581.jpg
    DCP_1581.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 11
End of Season

Photo of "Moriah" waiting in the crane well to be hauled out at the "End of Season". 32' Pearson 323 docked in Bay City, MI. (9/25/13)

Nikon D7000 - 50mm(18-105mm f/3.5-5.6) 1/200 sec at f/8.0, ISO 100

Chuck

Attachments

• end of season.jpg
    end of season.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 14
Pic's from a walk in the woods yesterday.
Nikon D7000, Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR

Attachments

• image-3872137530.jpg
    image-3872137530.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image-3803138241.jpg
    image-3803138241.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image-3410843220.jpg
    image-3410843220.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image-2551259149.jpg
    image-2551259149.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 10
  • image-2891534044.jpg
    image-2891534044.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 11
The photographs on this thread are amazing.

The photos I get the most compliments on are the ones I shoot for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom