Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase24 View Post
We retired in 2016 in rural midwest, with man-shed garage for antique car hobby, chickens and coop, plus large garden for DW. In 2019, while visiting son's family in Phoenix, found a 55+ community with Auto Restoration Club. We visited it, somewhat on a whim, and found over 100 clubs, including weaving and spinning for DW, Car restoration, wood working, metal working and many fitness facilities. We bought a house a month later, and left the midwest.

We found that we were spending a LOT of our retirement time caring for the property, including the worries of being our own water & sewer department. I don't miss that.

However, the virus has GREATLY diminished the value of the community, as we and everyone else are being very careful to avoid the virus. ALSO, it's been a record hot year, so that diminished the fun in the summer.

Even with all that, I'm glad we did it. We both have more time for activities we enjoy at home, and we value the limited time and interactions with others. We know that we will get thru the virus and be able to more fully enjoy the community then.

ALSO, we get with young people by visiting our son and his family, but it IS a whole lot different with just old people around (yes, that is us.)
Can you tell me what community this is? Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

we retired 13yrs ago, we downsized. Our new house was ok, nice, well kept development, but all our neighbors were 32-35 with 2 kids, both working. They were nice, but we had nothing in common with them. We felt we were the only ones in the community that were retired. So? So, 3 yrs ago, we sold and moved into a nearby 55+ community here in So California. I have to say we have NEVER been happier. We have 275 houses. We have pretty strict HOAs and we get 99% compliance. Say what you want about HOAs, our neighborhoods are pristine. I like that. Everyone is friendly. We had lots of fun activities (until Covid hit). Even with Covid, this is still the best place I have ever lived. could not be happier.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:38 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Like all such rules, it was likely prompted by "a few people spoil it for everybody, and then people sue, and we can't have that."

Maybe an undisciplined Fido did knock a Granny off her walker. But whatever 'twas, you can bet the ensuing litigation is what prompted the rule.

It was a mobile home community so the Jones are probably close together. Most likely to prevent “dog barking” from disturbing neighbors.

Many condos in Florida don’t allow pets for this reason as well.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then why exclude pets who don't bark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
It was a mobile home community so the Jones are probably close together. Most likely to prevent “dog barking” from disturbing neighbors.

Many condos in Florida don’t allow pets for this reason as well.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Then why exclude pets who don't bark?
Damn (non) barking goldfish...they're a menace.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #86
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
+1
If I survive my wife then maybe I will find a live-in French maid with benefits.

Cheers!

You mean one that does windows?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
I'd have a hard time accepting that, thanks for the info.
We have gone out very little since March, but it was our choice and not an edict from a non-governmental organization.

Me too! OMG. But this is a CCRC he is talking about so that is assisted living and nursing home care. I wonder if the rules there apply to people in the independent living section? I would hope not.

The community I mentioned above is not gated and the HOA is actually very lenient about most things. Our outdoor pool was open this summer. Activities in the clubhouse did not go on, but still some people- very small group- gathered there to watch a few football games.

There are a lot of advantages to being in a small community like ours. One woman takes care of putting flowers and holiday decorations at the clubhouse and pool area. Residents donate paper towels and toilet paper and wipes and so forth.We take care of the cleaning of the clubhouse on our own as well.

HOA meeting will be zoomed this year so as not to over crowd the clubhouse.

No way in a 55+ community or any development could they restrict people from coming and going.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ALSO, we get with young people by visiting our son and his family, but it IS a whole lot different with just old people around (yes, that is us.)
Just old people around is one of the things that bothered my mother when she lived in Leisure Village. OTOH, you have the advantage of being near to your son and his family. That is huge. I had thought of moving to a 55+ community myself, but that would mean leaving my kids behind.

So for more than a decade I have stayed in my old home since my kids and now the grands are nearer. But, one is looking into moving to another state that is over a thousand miles away, and the other may move to another city that is a good 4 to 5 hours drive away. She can't afford to buy a home in the city she grew up in. Very sad.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #89
Confused about dryer sheets

At age 55 DW and I had an opportunity to spend a winter in the sun in Florida at a 55 plus community. Her work set us up and we had a great opportunity to see the pluses and minuses. Obviously many of these are personal and YMMV.

Plusses.

Most folks were very nice and they had time to chat and talk about life and were happy to give their opinion on their move. Great weather and daily activities were important to keep up socialization. There were many people home to look out for unwanted traffic and there was a staffed gated entry that was nice. The property was kept up well and there was consistency throughout the neighborhood. Facilities were excellent and well cared for. Younger members with driving ability would drive the other folks to doctors appointments for gas money. There seemed to be plenty of medical services around to fulfill needs.

Minuses.

As other posters have pointed out, there was something we missed with the lack of younger folks and children. It was a difficult to explain homogeneity that was ok for a few months but would be not a good match for us for a longer term at our current station (I could see this changing). It seemed that many of the older folks that were developing health conditions were considering moving closer to family often back up north. One note, although the restriction was 55 and above, I had the misconception that the average would be around 65. In our case the average age was 75 and above possibly 80. Although I was not working full time that that point, It seems I had less in common with many of the neighbors than in our middle class neighborhood.
One note, although the restriction was 55 and above, I had the misconception that the average would be around 65. In our case the average age was 75 and above possibly 80.

I did find out that there were options to rent a home in Florida for the winter so a trial rental is definitely possible and highly suggested.

Cheers!
stoicwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been in our CCRC for 18 months. Only our Assisted Living/Skilled Nursing have ever had any restrictions for residents. Independent Living residents have been ASKED to limited/avoid socialization and use masks in common areas. We are also restricted from the Asst Living/Skilled Nursing section.(Exceptions have been made for a spouse in end of life situation but it requires a full PPE garbing). There are restrictions on outside visitations, especially in our apartments since any infected visitor places the entire campus at risk. The CCRC has assumed much broader service roles including grocery shopping and meal delivery to apt at no charge (you still pay for meals but not the delivery fee).
We have been Covid free until last week when two residents in Skill Nursing tested positive. In less than week, 5 other residents have tested positive--all but the orig two are asymptomatic. To illustrate how sneaky Covid is, management learned of the infection when a skilled nursing resident went to a hospital for an unrelated reason and was screened. So far, only two of the positives have shown symptoms. Because the tests used were the quick results version and the definitive PCR test results are not yet back, we may have some false positives.
Response to Covid provides CCRC "shoppers" one more and very important topic to understand the competency and skills in the CCRC management. Like most things, quality is highly variable and deep due diligence is critical, especially on issues you care strongly about.
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
I wouldn't do it at 59, but maybe at a later age. Keep in mind that the communities 'age' as the get older. So if you move into a new community avg age will be younger.
You choose Sun City Florida (one of the oldest in the country), and the average age is super high.

Another issue I have personally is I tend to like a more urban experience. Most of these communities are really very suburban in nature. Just not my thing at this point in my life.

Its not being ageist, but rather wanting socialization w/ people with interests that are more attuned to the interests of people closer to ones age.

Living in a suburban vs. country vs. urban area is certainly a consideration.

In terms of age- yeah- that, too. But at least where we live, the 50 to 70/- year olds have plenty in common. In fact, it is a diversified group. A lot are from another nearby state. So they relate.

Many have motorcycles, boats, golf carts or electric bikes or mountain bikes, play golf, fly airplanes, race cars, drive ATV's and go to the shooting range. Many fish, ski, snowmobile, ice fish. The women- the same. Add swimming, dining out, playing cards, bingo, bowling, shopping or whatever. Concerts- many like the same music or similar. Live theater. Games. A State University is only 40 minutes away is you are into that.

Today people in that age group are more active- hence the term active adult communities. Quite a number of veterans here also.

Hell we have an 85 year old here who teaches us a thing or two with riding his bike for 25 miles or going to the gym for 3 hours everyday. Walks everywhere- no golf cart for him. And here all the roads are massive, steep hills.

Another thing to think about- moving when you get older becomes harder- physically and emotionally and so forth. I am glad we moved in our 60's (63 and 65 at the time) because it was hell and I cannot imagine doing it in my 70's or 80's. How many times do you want to move? It is good to get established somewhere that you can age into. You will know the lay of the land well, will have your doctors in place, your network of friends and so forth. Think long and hard.

This is our last move until the nursing home or death. Again, ours is not a retirement community- but it is like a 55+ active adult community. We looked at CCRM- independent living- and those were were expensive and an older population. What you might want is an active adult community for 55+ with people of diversified ages living there or a place like it. In a vacation are is even better- not an isolated one.

One other thing- just because a place is 55+ does not mean you will not see or hear children. These people have young adult children and grandchildren who visit often- especially if you are in a vacation area and have amenities like a pool.

Where we are gets real noisy in the summer- not the community- but the surrounding area with motorcycles, blaring music, fireworks and campers up at all hours of the night. We have not gotten used to that yet. But off season is wonderfully quiet.

PS Many of the homes in our development are second homes as well- maybe a little less than half- so those people tend to be in the 50-70 year old range as well. In the new construction section we are in- we have a few 50+ year olds, 70 year olds and even 32 year old neighbors. Some are full time but many are second homeowners who plan to live here full time when they retire.

Pets are allowed in our community and in fact I cannot believe how many people own dogs here.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
We moved from a 2600 square foot home in rural NY in a secluded location to an 1100 square foot new construction home in a community that is not age restricted but is like a 55+ community.

Most people here are 50+, but a few exceptions. A lot in their 50's and 60s. We are in our 60's. I would say there are not that many in the 75+ category, but there are some for sure.

Only 85 homes on tiny lots, a clubhouse and pool in a popular vacation spot. Walking distance to the big lake. Bowling, bingo, mini golf and regular golf, restaurants, breweries, drive-in boardwalk just down the street. Shopping, medical and other services within 4 miles drive.

HOA ($150) includes trash, pool and clubhouse, snowplowing of the road only, mowing of lawns.

<snip>

The house is more like a cottage and we did extreme purging before we left. It is simple and clutter free. Very low maintenance. Here we can be as busy as we want to not. Important thing is there are people around.

Here everyone helps each other out. The community has a Facebook page and website also. It's really great to know you can contact people if in need.

Eureka!

I've been wrestling with where/how to live since selling the "big house" in a place I detested 4 years ago and becoming a vanlife and global nomad.

The few 55+ communities I've visited make me cringe (very restrictive HOAs, busybody board members, no young folks) yet some aspects are appealing -- no outdoor chores, lock-and-leave for long travel, and single family homes, not apartments. But just not my thing.

As I read Meleana's post I thought "this is it! This is a description that resonates with me: a small, single-family-home community that isn't age restricted, yet has many of the positives of a 55+ community!"

And in New England to boot! So now I know what I *think* I want for my age-in-place home -- now just to find it.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 AM   #93

We're so fortunate to live in a region where the weather has 4 seasons, but no snow to speak of. With moderate temperatures, we seldom even wear coats.

We're in a LCOL place where homes are inexpensive to buy, maintain and where we have no property taxes since my wife's disabled. Until RMD's, I pay no state income taxes. I can ride every inch of my yard on a zero turn mower, and enjoy cutting grass.

Because we are in a LCOL place and we live rather frugally, we're fortunate to afford a lake house with two incredible Robert Trent Jones golf courses down the street.

Many retirement homes are just not our style as so many people are------so old. At ages 70 & 72, we're rather young for our age and able to care for ourselves. But no one knows what the future is going to be like.

My parents had to move to the big city for my sister to take care of their healthcare--with my father on dialysis. They started in a luxury apartment with 6 hr. help daily. After my father passed, my mother moved to a new CCRC @ $170K "security deposit" and $2050 per month rent including 20 meals monthly cooked by a Dutch chef. She later had to have 24 hour "help" and she passed when she was down to her last $5K in cash. But Mom had a great time living in such luxurious surroundings.

We're going to hang where we are until either one of us passes or we're unable to take care of ourselves. We lack for nothing presently, and have great lives.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
Eureka!

I've been wrestling with where/how to live since selling the "big house" in a place I detested 4 years ago and becoming a vanlife and global nomad.

The few 55+ communities I've visited make me cringe (very restrictive HOAs, busybody board members, no young folks) yet some aspects are appealing -- no outdoor chores, lock-and-leave for long travel, and single family homes, not apartments. But just not my thing.

As I read Meleana's post I thought "this is it! This is a description that resonates with me: a small, single-family-home community that isn't age restricted, yet has many of the positives of a 55+ community!"

And in New England to boot! So now I know what I *think* I want for my age-in-place home -- now just to find it.

Believe me we struggled to find a place like this in New England. First off we did not want Massachusetts (aka as Taxachusetts) (though you could argue New Hampshire is northern Mass.). My heart is in Vermont but our politics don't align and tax situation not good for retirees, though I hear they are working on that. New York's is actually better believe it or not. Never really attracted to living in Maine, Connecticut or Rhode Island, though we did strongly consider Maine.

I sent away for tons of stuff and spoke to numerous realtors.

NH was the obvious choice for us as we were familiar with it from vacations and our only child lives there. I could not see moving somewhere where we had no connection whatsoever. New England we knew pretty well and felt comfortable. But- yes- we did consider other parts of the country.

We got to a point where we did not think we could move to NH or Vermont or Maine. The cost of housing in 55+ communities like we wanted were astronomical, as were many of the HOA fees. We were very down about it which is why we started to look at other areas of the country- mainly out West. In one moment of desperation we even considered the Villages (What the heck were we thinking?! LOL!). Almost drank that cool aid until we came to our senses.

And no way did we want to do renovations as we just spent the last few years in our family home doing that. That is not retirement to us.

Then try to get a "new or newish" home under $350,000 (for us preferably under $300,000 as we had to factor in costs of moving and closing fees, and other expenses for things needed in the new place. We did not want to spend more than we netted on the sale of our former home in total) with LOW HOA fees to boot. I wanted an outdoor pool available as well. Nothing anywhere that fit the bill.

Until we came upon this rare community with just a few lots left. And no thanks to any realtors. It took my own research to find it.

At the time no resales were available for the one level cottages.There is literally nothing like it in New England at this price point. (Our final price was $274,400). Some other homes here are a little bit bigger with stairs and were still under $350,00- most about $320,000).

Yeah- the homes are not on the water nor do we have a private beach, but we can walk to the beach. Yeah - we do not have private docks, but there are lots of marinas here- a few within walking distance. Yeah- we do not have a view from our windows, though we do have a seasonal view behind us of the mountains and the bay once the leaves fall from the trees, but pull out of our road and there is a glorious view of the mountains and big lake (until the land there gets developed and blocks it- it's for sale). (Some other homes here have year round views of the lake and mountains but our little end corner does not).

The cottage (and whole development) is cookie cutter and just a few windows in the cottage and that does take getting used to. I miss all our windows and views of the woods and our land that we had in the other house.

But at this stage of our lives I really think this is best for us. Time will tell I guess but so far so good.

Good luck in your search!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #95

We saw a show or a report on the Villages in Florida. That was enough to turn us off over 55 communities for ever.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We saw a show or a report on the Villages in Florida. That was enough to turn us off over 55 communities for ever.

That place is not representative of most +55 communities
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post

DW and I spent a month in The Villages each of the past two years. We both really enjoyed it! Loved playing the very nice executive golf courses! Played different ones all the time. Never a problem getting a tee time if you are a little flexible, and we were there in high season. Cost was $4.00 total if you took your golf cart. The entertainment on the squares was great! Most everything was very convenient to get to. Saw very few people on walkers or in wheelchairs. On the contrary, most everyone was healthy and very active. All of the amenities were outstanding, and if you have a special interest, there is likely a group to join for that interest. I could move there without hesitation, but DW does not want to move from central Illinois where we both were raised. I explored the costs of ownership and felt it was reasonable for what you get.
Rocket Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In what way(s)?
Old 12-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
In what way(s)?
From what I have read, and if you look at Rocketman's post it is a huge place with many venues and activities.
We live in a +55 MHP with about 150 units. We have a clubhouse, a pool, sauna, and spa. This is typical of a lot of places. You can go up from there to the Dell Webb properties that have more extensive facilities.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Didn't Rayinpenn post a Villages visit report a couple of years ago? He saw pro's and con's.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote