Thoughts about Retirement Communities?

Two issues DH and I have. First, it seems no matter where we look, (FL & DE) the houses were too close together. Second, we were surprised when a friend told us that sometimes the club house is not owed by the community. The “outside” owners could close it down if they felt it was necessary.

That's to keep down landscape maintenance expenses (and the cost of the dwelling too).

Two issues DH and I have. First, it seems no matter where we look, (FL & DE) the houses were too close together.

brett said:
We saw a show or a report on the Villages in Florida. That was enough to turn us off over 55 communities for ever.

What did they say? And who said it? Who publishes this report?

Too many old people, too much politics, and too much additional development. Not enough ocean!

I think the size of the community makes a big difference.

I'm in a community of about 140 homes, almost all are fourplexes. Two community pools, two tennis courts, and a small community center. It feels like a friendly small village. The pool is very nice, and isn't crowded, and I'm getting to know some of the people who walk or swim.

There is a higher end golfing community across the main road from us. I looked on Google maps, it is easily 7-10 times larger than the one I'm in. They have a golf course with clubhouse that requires an additional membership, and they have two community pools. I suspect it is my personality and private tastes, but I wouldn't want to live there. They are SFHs, and are about twice the price, and double the HOA.

My neighbors brother lives over there, and he acted like that was impressive or a big deal.

I just reread my comments.
Okay, you are correct, I'm too cheap to live over there, and wouldn't fit in anyway.

At least I know my preferences.

JP

it may happen, it may have to happen but i hope we never have to live somewhere where we have to share a wall with someone else. to each their own.

it may happen, it may have to happen but i hope we never have to live somewhere where we have to share a wall with someone else. to each their own.

Two loud bands rehearse in my basement (on hiatus due to Covid of course). I don't think anyone would want to share a wall with me :LOL:

We plan on staying here until it's unsafe...if we get lazy before that time we'll just hire out lawn care and snow clearing.

Two loud bands rehearse in my basement (on hiatus due to Covid of course). I don't think anyone would want to share a wall with me :LOL:

We plan on staying here until it's unsafe...if we get lazy before that time we'll just hire out lawn care and snow clearing.

we've...i've...been smart (some might say 'lazy') for years. we've had a lawn service for nearly 3-decades now. didn't want to waste perfectly good 'let's-get-out-in-the-RV' time by cutting grass. and prior to our first snowbird trip 4-years ago we wanted to make the house appear to be lived in so we hired a snow removal crew. we've missed two snowbird trips since then, including this year, but we've kept the snow service. :dance:

we've...i've...been smart (some might say 'lazy') for years. we've had a lawn service for nearly 3-decades now. didn't want to waste perfectly good 'let's-get-out-in-the-RV' time by cutting grass. and prior to our first snowbird trip 4-years ago we wanted to make the house appear to be lived in so we hired a snow removal crew. we've missed two snowbird trips since then, including this year, but we've kept the snow service. :dance:

I've lived on 1.7 acres for a couple decades and am too cheap to pay for lawn service for that much land. Using a riding mower isn't that bad though.

Regarding snow clearing...I still prefer to do it by hand even though I have a 100' double width driveway and 3 decks that I like to keep clear. As far as can tell I'm the only neighbor that shovels by hand. They probably either think I'm crazy or too broke to afford a blower :LOL:

I just treat it as a workout and skip the weights when it snows.

Back
Top Bottom