Thoughts on moving to 55plus community

Happyras

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thoughts on moving to 55plus community
We live in a great location near Microsoft in Redmond WA on the hill. We have a 7 acre property with barn, apartment, and 4K sqft log home. Its been nice for 17 years now, and we have been retired since 2007 (wife) and 2016 (me). We are trying to weigh in whether to move or should we stay put.

Our home is ideal for a family with 3 young kids, like my DD1. Costco a few minutes down the hill, Redmond very close, Sammamish, and stores just minutes by EV. Our use of the space is so limited it seems like a waste to stay when our grands could have such a better home and school system.

I like our home a lot, but with stairways on each end of the home it will only get more difficult. Our DD1 lives south 40 minutes, in a less desirable location. DD2 lives north 40 minutes in an investment home (located on the light rail into Seattle and zoned for multifamily, a future build out). We would all like to be closer together.

For some this may be a shock, but for only $1.7M we can buy a smaller home in a 1500 home 55+ community 2 miles from our current property. Nice home, not quite what I have built in the past, but it has all the lifestyle stuff, with club house etc. We could buy this cash and still own our estate property, keeping our resident horse and keeper/grounds keeper/semi-adopted son in his apartment. At first this seemed perfect.....

When this thought leaked to DD2, it was a big deal, but she did not consider we would make it right to her. DD1 is all for this idea, as we could live close together, see the grands much easier and they could have an ideal school system (schools are next to Space X and Startlink offices) between the two homes. The area is predominantly tech boys and old pharts.

After reading the recent thread on Balancing an advance on kids' inheritance by BigNick, there are many issues to consider. However, so far we have "given" each DD a house, one a large down payment and a lot of sweat and cost to renovate, the other we gave a similar down payment and then "loaned" her the rest, with a reconveyance on death clause.

Questions for the group;
1. Is it in our best interest to move at this point for the benefit of the young grands. It would wipe out our after tax savings, but give us a nice 3 bedroom rambler in a community of older adults. We have plenty in our retirement accounts and pensions as well as rental incomes. I forgot to mention, our neighbor hood consists of one house below us, the rest is our woodland and a park next to us. All of our friends require a drive some few miles. We miss our old neighbors from 17 yrs ago. The proximity to the grands would be great, but would I be cussing every time I go back to my shop to find my tools missing or ###$@$#? Just an example...could this work in practice to have them live there if they do not maintain it like I would?

2. How do I make this fair to DD2? Do I accrue a use debit monthly for them staying in our house which would by some cash flow formula be a Future Value reducing DD1 share of the estate? Maybe use 6% discounted cash flow to achieve a future value based on a $6K/mo FMV rent?

3. We live in WA state, so its complicated. We get double step up basis and the QTIP trust structure preserves our state death tax exemptions, so keeping stuff in the trust is good, but not essential. We could just sell our 7 acres for development by Toll Bros etc, or develop our own subdivision. Should we instead short plat and build out 3 more homes? I am currently kicking out one renter on a property zoned downtown commercial and will sell it in the next few months to help cover some construction. So this is swing option to stay and build out instead of moving to the 55+. We could simply sell our property and forget about all the benefit for the grands, but that seems like a waste.

4. Lastly, I fear I may regret moving from this home to a smaller lot. I spent the day spreading Rid Moss on over an acre of nice lawns, and raking out weeds in my vegie garden, which would not be an option in the restrictive 55+ home. The front grounds are maintained by the association. I gave carrots to the horse 3 times, and maintained my diesel Kubota tractor today. If I moved, I would have to install an enclosed outdoor urinal, as the neighbors may not be so agreeable to my urgencies....20 feet from their decks....and there would not be so much to do or maintain. I guess I can always still pick my Chantarelle's and Morrells with a 2 mile drive back?

Anyone else made this type of decision? Is the social aspect of the 55+ living worth the loss of space, privacy and freedom to do what you want on your own property? $300/month HOA seems crazy to me, but the mandatory buy in of 0.5% of sale price seems high as well. Is this typical?

I am a little lost in reading as to how this move affects DD2 personally and financially. Is DD1 going to move into your old/current home? Personally, we prefer simplicity in retirement. We gave up our huge CA home with an indoor pool to live in a 3000 sq ft single story home (in another state). At one point I owned 4 homes outright.

I think you would want to prioritize what is most important to you first. Children and grandchildren while important, should come behind you and your spouse. If you want land to "work" on, then you may want to look at a single story home with acreage. We don't like chores and hire out all work needed to be done around our home - pool, yard, pest control and housecleaners.

We are fortunate that we live in a resort community - HOA is $500+ per month for the privilege of living where we live and it does not include any amenities. CC membership is another $1,350 pm and that does come with 2 clubhouses and golf. It is not active 55+ but better. In a previous condo that we owned in the same community, there was a mandatory contribution of 1% of sale price of new homes/first owners into the reserve funds.

Last edited:
We’re very happy in our 55+ community even though we don’t participate in the heavy social winter season. So no loss of privacy socially as it’s entirely voluntary.

We have a small lot and houses are close together, that’s some loss of privacy but I appreciate the quiet neighborhood, lack of vehicular traffic, safety in walking the neighborhood, and landscaping included in HOA fees. And the way the houses are designed you don’t see your immediate neighbors anyway.

We didn’t have to pay a buy in price. Our HOA fees including yard maintenance is ~$175 per month but we also live in a very low COL area in way south Texas even though it’s a fairly upscale community.

You are way beyond us financially speaking, but the general idea of leaving the family homestead to something smaller really resonates with me. We are only early 60s but have lived in our home for almost 30 years. We raised our children here, renovated practically everything, and we both still love the outside upkeep and gardening. But do we need a 4 bedroom house? Should we be thinking about a move to a smaller place or a condo?
You sound like you LOVE your place. Maybe wait another year?

I'm still stuck at the 7 acres near Microsoft. That has to be the best investment ever!

I do think you are going to miss the gardens and the privacy you have now.

You sound like you LOVE your place. Maybe wait another year?

Yup, its hard to consider another lifestyle....but keeping the property in the family is appealing. It is good to hear feedback from those who have made the move and those thinking about it. Sitting in the spa last night we realized there would be little space/privacy to put one at the new house in that 55+.

If the properties here were not so inflated, it might be a different consideration. We could buy and then sell later. Currently the cost of selling is pretty high with the excise tax escalation and other costs to roll a property. However, I know from experience we could build better homes on the land we have for much less. Its just difficult to do so in this county due to history of mitigation (bribes) paid by developers to do similar subdivisions.

Yup, its hard to consider another lifestyle....but keeping the property in the family is appealing. It is good to hear feedback from those who have made the move and those thinking about it. Sitting in the spa last night we realized there would be little space/privacy to put one at the new house in that 55+.

If the properties here were not so inflated, it might be a different consideration. We could buy and then sell later. Currently the cost of selling is pretty high with the excise tax escalation and other costs to roll a property. However, I know from experience we could build better homes on the land we have for much less. Its just difficult to do so in this county due to history of mitigation (bribes) paid by developers to do similar subdivisions.

Hmmmm, like a ranch in close proximity to the grands.

Is there room to build a smaller home on the property with the amenities you want and let your daughter live in the larger home with the grandkids? Maybe no need to subdivide and they could rent it out after you’re gone.

Is there room to build a smaller home on the property with the amenities you want and let your daughter live in the larger home with the grandkids? Maybe no need to subdivide and they could rent it out after you’re gone.

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Do what you feel is important to you and your wife. A home without stairs is where you ultimately want to be. Don't let this need creep up on you.

$300 per month HOA in the east side of King County is very low. I would recommend you look at the association's finances to assess if they have enough money to maintain the streets, sidewalks, public areas - like the fabulous community center etc, otherwise you will be looking at special assessments as things age.

- Rita

I don't understand your DD2's position and objection?

If it's financial then...um...ugh. As a DD1 myself, the only answer is "if you'll be happy and healthy then that's what I want for you!"

That was my thought as well. Build a nice 3/2 home for aging in place and perhaps even a home for DD2 if you and she is so inclined... the 7 acres becomes the Happyras family compound... the grands are nearby as are DDs.

I would think that 7 acres would be big enough for 3 homes.

That was my thought as well. Build a nice 3/2 home for aging in place and perhaps even a home for DD2 if you and she is so inclined... the 7 acres becomes the Happyras family compound... the grands are nearby as are DDs.

I was thinking this also.
What are the positives of a 55+ community to you?
Your post was very much filled with the things you like/love about the place you live in now.

There are new elevator type lifts that can be installed in a current home if stairs are a problem.

You and your wife desires are priority. Concerns between your daughters are secondary, but it would be good to discuss with both of them if it is going to cause bad feelings. Yes, it is your money and your home to spend/give as you desire, but I have read on this forum many stories of family difficulties around finances, especially after death.

That is my 1st choice, but I quickly find that to build an ADU you have to update your septic system to current design standards. Then there is the little issue with the existing ADU in the barn which would have to be abandoned. The county will not let you build more than one ADU and only if the lot is >2.5 acres. Still, I think that is an option, but only can build 1000 sqft......

In the cities, they are allowing folks to cram ADU's on any lot that they can fit, but in the unincorporated county, its difficult to do anything but 1 ADU. The WA state house passed a bill recently to increase housing density, allowing 2 ADU's per lot in urban growth areas. Guess what, we are surrounded by this, but our property is excluded from the urban growth area around us. There might be some way to change this, but my thought was that a short plat process would be no more difficult and we could build larger homes.

I did a layout for a community aerobic septic system in the lower part of the property, with 4 nice lots all gravity feeding this. We have underground power to the transformer in the center of the property, etc so I would guess this could be easy to do 30 years ago. King county is a very difficult place to get any plans or use changes. All properties around us are zoned R-1, but we are RA-5, which is another hurdle.

Wish it was easier, I am looking at contacting a developer who knows the pockets to fill to get this done. But yes, ideally I would build out 3 more homes.

I tried to buy the house below us on the corner 2 acres, but they wanted $2M for a home worth $1.5 FMV, per my realtor. They ended up selling it late last year for the $2M, unbelievable. That home jumped in value the past few years. The buyers actually had purchased a home close by, that I had tied up in contract for $725K a few years ago. They sold it for $1.35 last month. Its crazy. If I had bought that 2 acres with a home, I could have done a boundary line adjustment to add for 2.5 acres and built another ADU on that lot.

Thanks for all the feedback, it helps me think this through better.

this

Probably should research attorneys in your county that are experts in getting zoning variances.

My wife and I have just started looking into this, so far we've visited one 55+ community and one CCRC, planning to see a couple more next week. We don't plan to move this year, but we've set a goal to make at least a tentative decision by the end of this year to (a) die in place, but remodel our split-level house some to make that more viable, (b) move to a 55+ community, or (c) move to a CCRC.

In just visiting the two, I found that I was much more attracted to the 55+ community, but OTOH I do understand the logic of getting into a CCRC while sufficiently independent to be accepted into one. As I think so many responsible older adults might say, "we don't want to be a burden to our children".

I'm starting to think maybe a hybrid approach would be good. Moving to a good 55+ community could perhaps increase my social life a lot and get me more active than I've been lately. Stay there 15 - 20 years, then get on a waiting list for a CCRC. But possibly instead just hire assisted living folks to come in to the 55+ community to take care of one or both of us at need --- if in fact needed.

Comparing the costs between 55+ and CCRC is a challenge to, as it's very much an apples-to-oranges comparison, or perhaps more like apples-to-fire-hydrants. They're very different.

....We could just sell our 7 acres for development by Toll Bros etc, or develop our own subdivision. Should we instead short plat and build out 3 more homes? ...

Can you either develop your own subdivision with 3 homes or short plat and build 2 more homes (three in total)?

Sounds like you thought perhaps in the OP but are less sure now.

....Moving to a good 55+ community could perhaps increase my social life a lot and get me more active than I've been lately. Stay there 15 - 20 years, then get on a waiting list for a CCRC. But possibly instead just hire assisted living folks to come in to the 55+ community to take care of one or both of us at need --- if in fact needed....

My parents lived in a 55+ Del Webb community, Sun City Center, FL for over 25 years. It was wonderful for them, especially Dad. He played golf and served on the Emergency Squad as an ambulance driver. When they first moved there they had numerous friends their age and had frequent group cocktail parties. By the time my mom left when she was 90 other than a couple friends all had either passed on or moved closer to their children or into assisted living or nursing homes.

We are currently renting in another 55+ Del Webb community, Sun City Texas in Georgetown. Very similar to Sun City Center, FL but newer... 3 golf courses, lots of clubs... DW is involved in bridge and fabric and fiber... square dancing, etc. I just played with the men's golf group today. Lot's to do if you want... or not much if you don't... the guy I played with today golfs but that's about it.

I run away screaming from the idea of living in any 55+ community.
I like living in our neighborhood: the cycle of meeting new young families that move in, and watching neighbor kids grow up and move on. It's a nice neighborhood.

The diversity of ages is important to me- "keeps me young".
Surrounded only by others that are "aging out" with my circle of friends/neighbors shrinking with every passing is a no-go.

YMMV -that's just me, and I realize that for many the 55+ is great.

I run away screaming from the idea of living in any 55+ community.
I like living in our neighborhood: the cycle of meeting new young families that move in, and watching neighbor kids grow up and move on. It's a nice neighborhood.

The diversity of ages is important to me- "keeps me young".
Surrounded only by others that are "aging out" with my circle of friends/neighbors shrinking with every passing is a no-go.

YMMV -that's just me, and I realize that for many the 55+ is great.

Well, it seems I've struck gold with my living situation! I reside in a 55+ "active adult" community, completely independent from the larger neighborhood of typical single-family homes. This setup allows me to enjoy the best of both worlds. On one hand, I can stay "youthful" and engaged by socializing with peers my age, while on the other hand, I have the opportunity to interact with younger residents at the lagoon for activities like swimming, poker, trivia, movies and chatting with people while enjoying libations at the tiki bar.

As for the notion of aging out in a 55+ community, I beg to differ. There's a constant turnover of homes and new faces moving in, keeping the community dynamic and vibrant. But of course, everyone has their own perspective on these matters.

Well, it seems I've struck gold with my living situation! I reside in a 55+ "active adult" community, completely independent from the larger neighborhood of typical single-family homes. This setup allows me to enjoy the best of both worlds. On one hand, I can stay "youthful" and engaged by socializing with peers my age, while on the other hand, I have the opportunity to interact with younger residents at the lagoon for activities like swimming, poker, trivia, movies and chatting with people while enjoying libations at the tiki bar.

As for the notion of aging out in a 55+ community, I beg to differ. There's a constant turnover of homes and new faces moving in, keeping the community dynamic and vibrant. But of course, everyone has their own perspective on these matters.
Exactly -"YMMV"
I shared my perspective, and appreciate yours.

My vocabulary for the amazing, vibrant lifelong friendships that we've had the pleasure of building in 2 55+ communities includes positive, happy descriptors. We love 55+ for the myriad of activities, + the friendships we're growing.

The social opportunities are everywhere here. We feel connected and can easily contribute to our community through volunteer service groups (I now lead one). There are more than 80 clubs and we have 2.5 FTE activities/lifestyle directors. I disagree with some of the rules and decisions made by our HOA, but overall they're good. Happyras you have the opportunity to foster closer family relationships and that definitely weighs in heavily. I would miss the 7 acres, too. Not sure what you'll decide but it sounds like you won't go wrong with any of the options that you've mentioned.

Happyras you have the opportunity to foster closer family relationships and that definitely weighs in heavily. I would miss the 7 acres, too. Not sure what you'll decide but it sounds like you won't go wrong with any of the options that you've mentioned.

Yes there is upside on the social end moving to the 55+, but being an old engineer, I love a good project and its been a 38 years since I built my last McMansion. The thought of subdivided is both exciting and onerous at my age. I spoke with Toll Brothers (large developer). They would be very interested in building 40+ homes on my site, but they would not be interested in a smaller division. They suggest that the county would be unlikely to approve us for more than 4 or 5 lots, given we are one of the few large acre sites in the R-5 area and not in the urban growth plan. We are next to a land locked county 10 acres park, so each lot would be very private

That said, as suggested, I am looking into who could support rezoning or simply pushing through a short subdivision to the max allowed, and building out 3 new homes. I would keep 2 in the family and sell the one as a spec, but it would be a very nice rambler for someone like ourselves......Seems like a better place to put a few bucks than stocks or bonds for us.

Could you have the county approve you for 4 or 5 lots and configure the lots so one of those 4 or 5 lots is for your current home?

Then build out a nice rambler for yourself, let DD1 move into your current home and build another home for DD2... then just leave the other 1 or 2 lots undeveloped for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom