To move or stay

I had some 55+ housing near me. They were not only small for the money, had limited storage place but they were also paying through the nose for HOA fees each month - more than 10 times higher than I was paying on my home 3 times the size.
Check out the communities - not only the cost but the atmosphere. I have heard of some that were couples only so when a spouse died, the surviving spouse had to move.
when I moved a few years ago at 58, I chose a townhouse so I could leave it to travel and not have to worry about lawn maintenance. It turns out that so many older people are in this complex that some people think is has 55+ age restrictions.

We moved to a community in another state that is not a 55+ but is like a 55+because most who own here are over 50. Some are second home owners. Some are also snowbirds or weekenders. Lots of golf carts, boats and motorcycles. (We don't have any of them). Most are in their 50's I would say, but some in their 60's like us, 70's and some in their 80's. A nice mixture. Plus their married children come to visit and their grandchildren. So a little of everything. My next door neighbors are 32 years old! Many people here still are working. Most are married but many singles as well, including widows and widowers. One thing- there are an awful lot of dog owners here!

Most active. Heck- we have an 85 year old guy here that goes to the gym 3 hours per day. he also bikes everywhere!. But I would say most are 50's and 60's and active. A lot of golfers as there are golf courses nearby. I heard one guy say he races cars.

Our 2600 square foot former home was newly remodeled from top to bottom. Our goal was whatever we got for it when we sold it that is all we could spend on a new home INCLUDING all the moving costs, atty fees, closing costs, and things we would have to do to the new house once we moved into it. And the extra expense of the temporary rental we were in after our home sold until my husband could retire and our new home was finished being built.Not an easy feat but we pulled it off. And just 4 miles from a town that I wanted to live in but that did not have this kind of community vibe we were looking for and for an affordable price.

I say it was no easy feat because in the area we lived in the homes did not appreciate like they have in other parts of the state and country. We did get back the remodeling costs ($100,000) but not any appreciation above what we paid for the house 32 years ago ($208,000). We sold it last year for $317,000.

The new, one level, 1100 square foot ranch house we purchased cost $274,400 with the extras we put in through the builder. (Base price was $249,000). Once moved in we put more money into it like a whole house generator, a security system, and lots of other things that added up quickly- and we are generally frugal.

I think we have about $2000 left over and we need to have the little driveway sealed next year and some more odds and ends done. But we will not go over this amount, except if something needs repairs obviously. Hopefully nothing as it is a brand new house.

The HOA fees here are just $150 per month. 85 homes so a nice, intimate vibe. Clubhouse, pool, law mowing, private road snow plowing, and trash pick up. The HOA is flexible so strict about lawn decor and so forth.

Can walk to the beach, boardwalk and boating nearby if that is your thing. Restaurants, shopping, medical services. It is a vacation area. 4 season - has lots of winter activities- again if you are into that.

Our only son also lives 45 minutes from here and works 10 minutes from here. Tax situation is good overall.

Our former home was nice- but secluded on 10 1/2 acres in the woods. Great to come home to when we worked but not good for aging in. Too lonely. Especially whenever the time would come that you cannot drive, though that is still far away for us as we are in our 60's. High property taxes as well.

Yes there are some things we do not like about the new place. The homes are right on top of each other. Very tiny lot- and I mean tiny! In summer the area around us gets noisy because there are camps surrounding our development. The house is small- a newly constructed ranch- 1100 square feet- no views except of neighbors walls- though some seasonal views to the back of us of the bay and mountains- and trees. Hubby and I on top of each other. Good thing he goes down into the basement to his workbench. LOL! He does not have much to do with the new house and that is a plus but also a negative in terms of keeping him busy.

But the positives outweigh the negatives. We have made friends- one has a boat and has been kind enough to take us out several times on the lake. Even during this hard year we have had some nice get togethers with the neighbors. Went on group walks. We never had this. We had no neighbors nor did we have friends that lived nearby in our former home state.

I find it nice that even taking a walk I can wave to someone or someone might stop and chat with me when I am sitting on the front porch. If my husband needs advice or help with something he is doing at the house another man will come over and help out. Even little things like we needed to borrow a bigger ladder- we can ask around- and we have a community Facebook page and HOA website that we can communicate with other people here through.

And it is nice to see neighbors helping the older neighbors out that might need it. Maybe a meal here or their, just checking up on them, shoveling their driveways, etc. It's all good.

If it wasn't for the virus stuff there would be some activities going on in the development- just a few- usually organized by the residents themselves, like a Halloween or Xmas party, card games, etc. But some of us have managed to do things together safely.

Having a small, low maintenance home is great but people need to really downsize- accept the fact that they have way too much stuff- and purge. My motto is keep it simple!

I feel moving only gets harder as you get older. So moving now in our 60's got us transplanted and settled. Better than doing it in your 80's!

Last edited:
I live in a 55+ community. It sucks. Stay where you are.

Best laugh I had today - thanks!

they were also paying through the nose for HOA fees each month .

I don’t know if the 55+ communities work the same way (probably) but my HOA fee is ridiculous (this is just for a regular complex, not a 55+), and on top of that the association regularly throws “special assessment” charges at us for improvements not covered by the normal HOA fee. Right now, and for the next few years, I’m paying a quarterly fee for new roofs going on the buildings. A few years ago, it was to replace the decks on units. And of course, you’re at the mercy of the association to do the due diligence of getting estimates and making logical choices that you trust for contractors, materials, etc.

My advice to anyone moving to an association (condo complex, senior housing, etc.), in addition to the fee amount and what it covers, ask for (1) historical payments, and (2) how the association handles repairs/updates not covered by the HOA fee.

Congratulations on the life you've built for yourself. Stay where you are.

I don't know that we'd be very happy in a 55 and older community. Although we're 70 & 72, we're especially young in our minds for our age and a generation younger than those Old People.

To top it off, we're so fortunate to be raising our 9 year old granddaughter, and there's nothing like listening to her music everywhere we go in the car.

We moved to a community in another state that is not a 55+ but is like a 55+because most who own here are over 50. Some are second home owners. Some are also snowbirds or weekenders. Lots of golf carts, boats and motorcycles. (We don't have any of them). Most are in their 50's I would say, but some in their 60's like us, 70's and some in their 80's. A nice mixture. Plus their married children come to visit and their grandchildren. So a little of everything. My next door neighbors are 32 years old! Many people here still are working. Most are married but many singles as well, including widows and widowers. One thing- there are an awful lot of dog owners here!

Most active. Heck- we have an 85 year old guy here that goes to the gym 3 hours per day. he also bikes everywhere!. But I would say most are 50's and 60's and active. A lot of golfers as there are golf courses nearby. I heard one guy say he races cars.

Our 2600 square foot former home was newly remodeled from top to bottom. Our goal was whatever we got for it when we sold it that is all we could spend on a new home INCLUDING all the moving costs, atty fees, closing costs, and things we would have to do to the new house once we moved into it. And the extra expense of the temporary rental we were in after our home sold until my husband could retire and our new home was finished being built.Not an easy feat but we pulled it off. And just 4 miles from a town that I wanted to live in but that did not have this kind of community vibe we were looking for and for an affordable price.

I say it was no easy feat because in the area we lived in the homes did not appreciate like they have in other parts of the state and country. We did get back the remodeling costs ($100,000) but not any appreciation above what we paid for the house 32 years ago ($208,000). We sold it last year for $317,000.

The new, one level, 1100 square foot ranch house we purchased cost $274,400 with the extras we put in through the builder. (Base price was $249,000). Once moved in we put more money into it like a whole house generator, a security system, and lots of other things that added up quickly- and we are generally frugal.

I think we have about $2000 left over and we need to have the little driveway sealed next year and some more odds and ends done. But we will not go over this amount, except if something needs repairs obviously. Hopefully nothing as it is a brand new house.

The HOA fees here are just $150 per month. 85 homes so a nice, intimate vibe. Clubhouse, pool, law mowing, private road snow plowing, and trash pick up. The HOA is flexible so strict about lawn decor and so forth.

Can walk to the beach, boardwalk and boating nearby if that is your thing. Restaurants, shopping, medical services. It is a vacation area. 4 season - has lots of winter activities- again if you are into that.

Our only son also lives 45 minutes from here and works 10 minutes from here. Tax situation is good overall.

Our former home was nice- but secluded on 10 1/2 acres in the woods. Great to come home to when we worked but not good for aging in. Too lonely. Especially whenever the time would come that you cannot drive, though that is still far away for us as we are in our 60's. High property taxes as well.

Yes there are some things we do not like about the new place. The homes are right on top of each other. Very tiny lot- and I mean tiny! In summer the area around us gets noisy because there are camps surrounding our development. The house is small- a newly constructed ranch- 1100 square feet- no views except of neighbors walls- though some seasonal views to the back of us of the bay and mountains- and trees. Hubby and I on top of each other. Good thing he goes down into the basement to his workbench. LOL! He does not have much to do with the new house and that is a plus but also a negative in terms of keeping him busy.

But the positives outweigh the negatives. We have made friends- one has a boat and has been kind enough to take us out several times on the lake. Even during this hard year we have had some nice get togethers with the neighbors. Went on group walks. We never had this. We had no neighbors nor did we have friends that lived nearby in our former home state.

I find it nice that even taking a walk I can wave to someone or someone might stop and chat with me when I am sitting on the front porch. If my husband needs advice or help with something he is doing at the house another man will come over and help out. Even little things like we needed to borrow a bigger ladder- we can ask around- and we have a community Facebook page and HOA website that we can communicate with other people here through.

And it is nice to see neighbors helping the older neighbors out that might need it. Maybe a meal here or their, just checking up on them, shoveling their driveways, etc. It's all good.

If it wasn't for the virus stuff there would be some activities going on in the development- just a few- usually organized by the residents themselves, like a Halloween or Xmas party, card games, etc. But some of us have managed to do things together safely.

Having a small, low maintenance home is great but people need to really downsize- accept the fact that they have way too much stuff- and purge. My motto is keep it simple!

I feel moving only gets harder as you get older. So moving now in our 60's got us transplanted and settled. Better than doing it in your 80's!

That was a great write-up. I don't mean to pry for details, but would you mind saying what state or general area your old home and new home were/are?

We have been members of this CCRC for about 18 months and often wonder why it took us so long to move here. Activities are great, amenities are great, food is great, cost is manageable, best of all the other residents (though old) are tops.

I am now going to be 65 still waiting to take SS closer to 70 work PT as track coach local HS and sub teach as much or as little as I want.
i'm not a fan of 55+ communities. That would be something I would pursue with a rental for a while if i became interested. That lifestyle is something you need to experience before buying.

What you did post that caught my attention is the enjoyment that you evidently receive from your PT work. My career path was in academia and even though I retired (for health reasons) almost 10 years ago I still miss that enjoyment of working with young students looking forward to a future where anything is possible. It has the additional benefit of keeping you young.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom