Join Early Retirement Today

Today's milestone..just started Medicare!
Old 02-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's milestone..just started Medicare!

I turned 65 today and began medicare ( I am supposed to celebrate.....right?). However......it ain't as cheap as everyone has told me. I have part A and B and added Plan G (covers co pays etc) and a drug plan. Prior to all this I was on Blue Cross PPO that ran about $850 per month. So, I basically replaced that plan with the medicare I mentioned. Turns out the government took my 2019 income (had allot of deferred income) and placed me in a "high means adjusted" bracket. My new medicare plan is costing $711.00 per month. I had been hoping for something far more reasonable. Did I miss something in the medicare 101 class?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, you didn't. It's called IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount ). But assuming the deferred income was a one-time thing and won't be repeated in tax years 2020 and forward, then your Medicare premium will drop down.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I turned 65 today and began medicare ( I am supposed to celebrate.....right?). However......it ain't as cheap as everyone has told me. I have part A and B and added Plan G (covers co pays etc) and a drug plan. Prior to all this I was on Blue Cross PPO that ran about $850 per month. So, I basically replaced that plan with the medicare I mentioned. Turns out the government took my 2019 income (had allot of deferred income) and placed me in a "high means adjusted" bracket. My new medicare plan is costing $711.00 per month. I had been hoping for something far more reasonable. Did I miss something in the medicare 101 class?
As to your first question: Yes, you are supposed to celebrate. Congratulations.

I am 10 years into Medicare and have classic Medicare from HHS, and a separate Medicare supplement policy from a separate insurer. So, I am not really into details of Medicare Advantage plan costs. I do know, I get to pay more for my classic Medicare because of "high income" and I always resent having to do that. But them's the rules.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #4

IRMAA brackets - 2021
Attached Images
File Type: png IRMAA.PNG (41.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Does someone know for sure if the 709 gift exemption form can be filed electronically or does it have to be filed through the mail?
Think maybe you put your question on the wrong thread!

This is a Medicare premium new thread.

Maybe do a search for gift taxes or 709's to find someone who can respond knowledgably.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Does someone know for sure if the 709 gift exemption form can be filed electronically or does it have to be filed through the mail?
Here is a 709 thread "might" have something relevent.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-a-106862.html
Old 02-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post

I am 10 years into Medicare and have classic Medicare from HHS, and a separate Medicare supplement policy from a separate insurer. So, I am not really into details of Medicare Advantage plan costs. I do know, I get to pay more for my classic Medicare because of "high income" and I always resent having to do that. But them's the rules.
Thanks for that info. Just wanted to make sure I didn't screw this up. My deferred comp is gonna last a few years so it sounds like my benefit from medicare will be delayed. As you say.....them the rules.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Just wanted to make sure I didn't screw this up. My deferred comp is gonna last a few years so it sounds like my benefit from medicare will be delayed. As you say.....them the rules.

You池e not alone. We both start in August. This year we値l have a slight IRMAA hit, but next year it値l be 3.2 times the normal cost since 2020 we had high income. After that it値l be more under our control, but we have to balance Roth conversions against IRMAA.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You池e not alone. We both start in August. This year we値l have a slight IRMAA hit, but next year it値l be 3.2 times the normal cost since 2020 we had high income. After that it値l be more under our control, but we have to balance Roth conversions against IRMAA.
Thanks, I guess misery loves company!! It does seem odd that when u finally get a "seniors benefit" the " means test " brings it back to reality. My MIL and FIL were bragging how medicare paid all their medical expenses and I chimed in and said the opposite.....they thought I was crazy!!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Look at the bright side. You are still saving over $100 compared to your BC plan.

FWIW, we expect to hit IRMAA at RMD time (even with conversions). Don't like it, but it is what it is.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Look at the bright side. You are still saving over $100 compared to your BC plan.

FWIW, we expect to hit IRMAA at RMD time (even with conversions). Don't like it, but it is what it is.
i agree, gotta look at the bright side. Just thought it was more than a hundred.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Congratulations! But sorry you are not getting a bigger break on your premiums.

How do the deductibles compare? I was under the impression that Medicare deductibles are much smaller than affordable care act plans, especially HSA eligible plans.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
I think it has to me mailed in. I have mine ready to go.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:00 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, I did mess up, I'm very sorry.

Thanks so much for your help on my question, very much appreciated once again.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Sorry, I did mess up can one of the mods delete it.
If you look at the bottom right of your post, there is an "Edit" button. I think that button can also be used to "delete" one's own post, if so desired.

Hope you find your 709 answer somewhere!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My new MA plan is costing me +1 IRMAA off SS plus fifteen bucks a month. Way cheaper than before.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #17

Quote:
I turned 65 today and began medicare ( I am supposed to celebrate.....right?).
By all means celebrate, you have your official curmudgeon card!

You are also now eligible for all those senior discounts that you couldn't get before.