Traveling in retirement survey?

We are 63 and 64.

We bought a boat and are going on a 5,200 mile cruise called the great loop. It should take about 7 months.

Budget is about $1,000 per week but that includes food. Some other expenses such as car are going away.

That sounds very exciting. Please give us a trip report at some point. Aloha

Budget: $18,000/year
Trips: 2x a year (spring and fall)

2022: trans-Atlantic cruise to Europe & land tour & Thanksgiving family cruise in the Caribbean
2023: Machu Pichu & then 17 night cruise (Santiago, Chile to USA) & Cruise Seattle to Japan w/land tour of Japan
2024: Next up!

ER goal is to travel to new places (trying not to repeat) and see as much of this planet before we go up to the big house.

Your age: 67 (DH soon to be 68)

Budget annually for travel in retirement: ? Usually, I am the Queen of Budgeting. I pride myself on being the "Anti-Shopper." But flash a cruise brochure before my eyes and I'm scrambling to figure out how we can do it.

How many trips per year: Before the DH retired in 2015, we tried to do a 7 day cruise each year. Once he was free, we did a 14 day in the Caribbean that year on Holland America. 30 day to Polynesia the next on the HAL Westerdam. In 2017, we camped from the Midwest to Seattle and boarded the HAL Eurodam to Alaska. In 2018, we threw the budget out the window, sold some Google stock and did our first 96 day World Cruise on Princess. In 2019, we dialed it back and did a 21 day on Cunard, round trip out of NYC to Norway and back. We booked another World Cruise for 2020, but as you all know, Covid intervened. Ditto for the 2021 WC we switched to, but we managed to take 6 of our extended family with us to Alaska in October 2021 on the Norwegian Encore just as Covid seemed to be winding down. And in January 2022, we boarded the Viking Star for a 121 day voyage whose itinerary changed the day before we left LA. It was an astonishing experience. In Feb 2023, we'll hop on the Viking Venus for a 12 day Search for The Northern Lights cruise. I've never seen them so it's a bucket list thing. I'm already scheming for how we can pay for another extended voyage in 2026. Every four years feels about right for that sort of adventure--unless of course, we encounter a deal too good to pass up in the meantime. Our first WC happened because of a sudden price drop that made waiting seem silly.

After all, once you retire, if you don't use your vacation days, you lose them...

Back
Top Bottom