Use it or loose it, a mind question

Mach1

Recycles dryer sheets
I like to think that I am a thinker, I don't even allow my mind to idle for a moment, am always thinking or working out something. I am yet to RE but recently slowing up quite a bit with w*rk, sometime it frustrate the h*ll out of me that I am not doing or thinking as much as I used to. How many here feel the same way and how do you cope with it after RE?

Mach1

At all of 56 I have noticed I am not processing things as easily or quickly as when younger. Much of this is quickness of memory. It seems pretty natural and has not been disfunctional as there is a natural age adaptation process as well. I do Suduko and puzzles and I think it is good to keep the mind active. AFAIK it is more important to do different things with the brain than staying up in some area.

That being said, I have also calmed down as I age and come to understand that the intellectual "life of the mind" is not the most important thing in life. By that I mean that a person who has 200 thoughts in an hour is not better than one who has 100 thoughts in an hour. And getting my mind less cluttered with "Doubblemint" ads, commercials and some political/social mental structures is "a good thing" (as Martha Stewart would say). So I find that physical excercise, meditation, eating right and resting have me fresher mentally than just trying to keep up with all the cultural and political current events and doing other mental excercises.

Mach1 said:
I am yet to RE but recently slowing up quite a bit with w*rk, sometime it frustrate the h*ll out of me that I am not doing or thinking as much as I used to.
I'd blame burnout and chronic fatigue.

Mach1 said:
How many here feel the same way and how do you cope with it after RE?
Afternoon naps!

Mach1:

Shhhh, caffeine.

I have mostly seen things from a two stroke methodology ::). First, during the non-retired portion one primarily experiences the outward stroke of life, job, family--all the activites and social interaction required to make things go well. Much of this falls away after retirement, kids are gone, no required work, etc. This leaves far more time for the inner stroke, that of self discovery and, hopefully, time to delve into those more charming aspects of life that previously had to be put off. Now is the time to pre-examine that transition so you're ready and the permanent shift is comfortable.

So the 'pause & reflect' was an important step for me. What had I missed doing in my younger days? Is it possible now? Do I still want to? Do I now have time or interest for a hobby that sounded interesting years ago?

At a deeper level for me, I returned to reading. I enjoy my mental activities more than I should, perhaps. I solve all the world's problem in my head. I solve Demon Wife's problems all the time (but not those she wants solved, necessarily). I range far and wide looking for all the answers to my youthful questions that were interrupted previously. I get better answers too, I hope.

I think finding "charm" is most important. By that I mean finding something inside one's self that starts to generate more calmness, ease, comfort AND liveliness too. You know it when you experience it. It's positive and life supporting. It makes your spouse happy too. :D

Apocalypse said:
I solve all the world's problem in my head. I solve Demon Wife's problems all the time (but not those she wants solved, necessarily).
I've learned that when I'm solving my spouse's problems that I should also restrict their promulgation to my head...

I'm considering starting this thread's cousin topic:

Use it or loose it, a body question

My Dream said:
Oh come on Nords, you're still a young pup.
Ah, grasshopper, you have so much to learn...

Never save naps or sex for old age.

Nords said:

Remember Grasshopper, there are 3 secrets to life:

1) Never save naps or sex for old age,
2) Never tell all you know,

pfpelican said:
Remember Grasshopper, there are 3 secrets to life:

1) Never save naps or sex for old age,
2) Never tell all you know,

There are three kinds of people in the world:
1) Those who can count,
2) And those who can't.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, people who understand binary and people who don't.

So I find that physical excercise, meditation, eating right and resting have me fresher mentally than just trying to keep up with all the cultural and political current events and doing other mental excercises.

I agree with yakers. When I was on the treadmill of life I had health problems that seem to pile up too fast for my age (33). After I cut back on work I started exercising more, meditating, and eating right. You still have stress but it changes from the work environment to life situations.

I always prided myself on my great memory but over the last few years i have noticed i cant rember stuff as easly anymore.

My wife said she noticed the same thing too. After speaking to a neroulogist we are friends with we learned the following.

As we age we loose brain cells and while when we are young everything is like long term memory and stays with us the fact is as we age our short term memory is like an echo. Its only there until the echo stops.

We have to make a concious effort by saying things to ourselves, writing it down or calling special attention to anything we want to remember and shift it from short term to long term memory.

The fact that we forget where we put the car keys or where we parked is not A problem. FORGETTING YOU HAVE KIDS thats a problem.

When you finally find the car in the shopping center,you go of course i parked here.
THATS NORMAL

Going how did the car get here? ..thats a danger sign

Try memorizing something new every day. A poem is a good choice. It will exercise the most important and most fragile part of your mind. Suduko will help with pattern recognition but that is a different part of your mind.

Remembering things takes technique. Dale Carnegie has some tricks that make it easier.

Nords said:

Yes Master, I will follow by your example. Now Master, if I ask that you help me to see the invisible, to learn about nature and the mystery of thought. If that is beyond my comprehension, then I ask if I will ever have the wisdom to learn everything you know about investing.

Grasshopper. aka MD.

riskaverse said:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, people who understand binary and people who don't.

And the remaining 8 kinds are...?

FlogBlogger said:
There are three kinds of people in the world:
1) Those who can count,
2) And those who can't.

Actually, the only two types of people are those who know the definition of tautology and those who don't.

astromeria said:
"10" is written in binary--one "two" and zero "ones." See? ;)

Thank you astromeria, it's funny that software guy like me can't figure that out

Mach1

Mach1 said:
Thank you astromeria, it's funny that software guy like me can't figure that out
Mach1
I made your mistake, too, until I realized she wasn't talking hexadecimal...

I find I use my mind a LOT since ER. I used it a lot before and you had to keep studying as an engineer to keep up with technology. But the mental effort didn't change after ER - only the subject matter did.

For one thing, to start I really hit the books! Yes, nerdy me. My engineering education did not give me an education in natural history, so I needed to make up for the missing knowledge. I tackled a home study course in ornithology from Cornell - equivalent 3 semesters of college level ornithology. Also cracked a book on organic and biochemistry (yep!), and earth science.

I also learned the arts of photography and videography - both VERY technical areas that require both a lot of understanding of the technical stuff as well as lots of hands-on experience. And that's on TOP of the creative skills you need to learn to produce something worth printing/publishing.

And that's not to mention going from a beginner to fairly advanced birder. A whole other slew of skills.

These days I find wrangling with photoshop to require extraordinary efforts of focused concentration and all sorts of mental contortions and research to figure out what the heck is going on and how to get the result I envision.

All of these things I hope will keep the mind sharp. It's supposed to reduce risk of Alzheimer's, no?

I'm glad I never lost my thirst for knowledge. (Well, the fact is that I have always been a knowledge seeker, so that didn't change after ER).

Audrey

P.S. I can't BELIEVE you guys didn't get the 10 right away!!! (especially with such a BIG hint!)

audreyh1 said:
P.S. I can't BELIEVE you guys didn't get the 10 right away!!! (especially with such a BIG hint!)

Us technical guys only understand hex, you know the 0-9 and A-F digits. :D

audreyh1 said:
Let's just say that it didn't get quite the uproarious reception in the Nords household that I expected it would...

... and my spouse had to explain to our very annoyed daughter that "!@#$ing nuke" is actually a term of endearment.

But I'm still smiling!

Mach1 said:
Us technical guys only understand hex, you know the 0-9 and A-F digits. :D
Whaddya mean you technical guys only understand hex?!? I spent plenty of time dealing with binary too. I guess because half my career was hardware design.

Maybe it's just you software only guys who think in hex.

Audrey

Two gentle suggestions...

To the "Use it or loose it, a mind question" people -- improve your grey matter by looking up the difference between "loose" and "lose."

To the "Use it or loose it, a body question" people -- please don't do the latter anywhere around ME!

:D

Ok, that was snarky of me. The fates will probably punish me by putting a typo in here somewhere for everyone else to point out.

Seriously... I'm learning ceramics on the wheel, slowly studying Italian, working the NY Times Crossword and other puzzles, and improving my three-dimensional problem-solving skills by putting in a kitchen. I don't detect much of a difference in brainpower, but maybe that's the point. ;)

I was thinking that taking up the guitar might be a good idea too, since I have never tried my hand at a musical instrument before.

Or maybe I'll join Audreyh1 in birding -- that's interesting stuff. (I once spent half a day watching a water ouzel dive for food in the Grand Canyon -- what a dynamite little bird!)

Back
Top Bottom