Volunteering seems like work

I made a commitment to myself when I retired that I would never again do something that I don't like to do. I can and will assist people with almost anything, but I will not be in charge and will not attend meetings. If it involves lifting and toting, cleaning, driving, etc, I'm your man. But someone else can have the power and responsibility; I'm done with that part of my life.

Amen to that!

When we moved into our condo community a few years ago I made the mistake of raising my hand to be on the condo board as we transitioned from the developer to the owners. Bad move on my part. I was the president (not as grandiose as it sounds - only a 3 person board for a 14 unit condo but a PITA nonetheless.) I did it for 2 years and decided not to run for reelection. Good move on my part.

Give me literacy tutoring where I can work one-on-one with someone and I'm happy.

I like the idea being bandied about here of volunteering (or rather, just helping out) as you see individual needs in your area, rather than the more formal route of doing volunteer work with an agency or organization. It would give me a greater sense of freedom and self-determination (very important), and it would help prevent it from feeling like a job.

I'm going to try that approach, rather than look for an organizational gig. I'll see if that works out better. I do have a desire to give; I just don't want anything that feels like work. I'm kind of surprised at the strength of my own reaction. It's like I'm an escaped slave, and you ain't getting me back on the plantation.

Last edited:
Amen to that!

When we moved into our condo community a few years ago I made the mistake of raising my hand to be on the condo board as we transitioned from the developer to the owners. Bad move on my part. I was the president (not as grandiose as it sounds - only a 3 person board for a 14 unit condo but a PITA nonetheless.) I did it for 2 years and decided not to run for reelection. Good move on my part.

Give me literacy tutoring where I can work one-on-one with someone and I'm happy.
I must have been a glutton for punishment. I was treasurer of my condo for 25 years. The first treasurer embezzled a bunch of money, which we finally got back.
The second treasurer was legally blind and had to have someone help him. When I took over, the files were a mess, but i got it straightened out.
The main reason I did it was because it was partly my money and I did not trust anyone else.

Great discussion!

I guess I've always been a [-]sucker[/-] volunteer. As a kid, sometimes being willing to go on an adventure just for fun led to a paid gig. As a parent, I was always involved with the schools, everything from the parent association to teaching an after-school enrichment class. I was even "room mother" one year. The other mothers didn't exactly know what to make of that! I've been on municipal boards and committees.

In my w*rk life, I'd "volunteer" with software user groups and to represent our organization at conferences and the like. I always enjoyed plant clean-up day when we got to leave the office, get our hands dirty and follow the union break schedule.

I've learned a lot about volunteer organizations. For one thing, it's easy to get sucked into management. And managing volunteers (as the many negative experiences reported above attest to) is a very unique skill. I've learned when to back away from leadership roles and when my experience can make a difference.

Every sentence above, and many I've left out, comes with at least a story or two. These are experiences I value far more than anything I've gotten paid for.

Thanks to all for sharing. Reading this and thinking about my own volunteering really gave me a perspective on things.

When I was raising my kids I volunteered at the school and Cub Scouts. I had a higher tolerance for BS back then.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, a 'volunteer' - but it seems to me, as a relatively impartial observer, that volunteering is work - it's a job for which you don't get paid.

It's not for dilettantes, it's for someone who performs as if they are getting paid, and as if they are committed.

Basically, you're of no use if you don't do everything that's required - you're there for the operation's benefit, not for your own.

Last edited:
I'm not, nor have I ever been, a 'volunteer' - but it seems to me, as a relatively impartial observer, that volunteering is work - it's a job for which you don't get paid.

It's not for dilettantes, it's for someone who performs as if they are getting paid, and as if they are committed.

Basically, you're of no use if you don't do everything that's required - you're there for the operation's benefit, not for your own.

+1
So far I have stayed away from it.

I respectfully disagree. I suspect *one* of the reasons (among many) that people volunteer is because it benefits them personally in some way -- for example they enjoy seeing others benefit. If volunteering was all work and no personal satisfaction was gained, then I doubt Mother Theresa would volunteer.

I donate 4+ hours of labor per week to building homes for people who need decent housing.

I donate variable hours of work giving (mostly young) people birth control, STI testing and STI treatment.

Unlike my portfolio's dividends, the return on this "work" is priceless to me. YMMV.

I respectfully disagree. I suspect *one* of the reasons (among many) that people volunteer is because it benefits them personally in some way -- for example they enjoy seeing others benefit. If volunteering was all work and no personal satisfaction was gained, then I doubt Mother Theresa would volunteer.
I agree. The gratitude I get from patients flying them to and from their appointments is "priceless". I have saved some lovely letters i have received from people I have flown.

I respectfully disagree. I suspect *one* of the reasons (among many) that people volunteer is because it benefits them personally in some way -- for example they enjoy seeing others benefit.
Seems to me that you're confirming, rather than refuting, my intimation regarding dilettantes, inasmuch as it accommodates them. My entire point was, that if you're going to volunteer, be prepared to do whatever the job entails - it's not about 'you'.

To cite footnote & Souschef, they do the jobs for which they volunteer.

If volunteering was all work and no personal satisfaction was gained, then I doubt Mother Theresa would volunteer.

Mother Teresa, from what little I've heard, was motivated by an overwhelming desire to rack up converts.

But, hey, I've been wrong before.......(or so I've been told) ;)

Last edited:
I volunteered for several years on a building review committee for our HOA. And still do some freebie consulting for the HOA. Also joined the local historical society where I may volunteer my time. And may do some volunteering at nearby state and national tallgrass prairies where I do most of my hiking.

But I’ve run into time constraints lately where I don’t have much time to commit to volunteering. And It seems like volunteering takes more and more time once you get involved in something.

Seems to me that you're confirming, rather than refuting, my intimation regarding dilettantes, inasmuch as it accommodates them. My entire point was, that if you're going to volunteer, be prepared to do whatever the job entails - it's not about 'you'.
Nope. I do only the stuff I want to do, when I want to do it. A few times I've been talked into taking on something I wasn't sure about, and I gave them up pretty quickly when I saw my instincts were right. They didn't fire me, or take away the stuff I like doing, partly because there are people who don't like doing the stuff I like.

One issue with volunteering can be the one person that is volunteering that day with you that isn't the personality of your choice. That has been the only issue I have had to deal with but then again it was for only a day here and there. They might thing the same of me. LOL
Lets just getter done and enjoy that I can help.

Nope. I do only the stuff I want to do, when I want to do it. A few times I've been talked into taking on something I wasn't sure about, and I gave them up pretty quickly when I saw my instincts were right. They didn't fire me, or take away the stuff I like doing, partly because there are people who don't like doing the stuff I like.

Here's a ferinstance: Horse farm looking for a volunteer. You put your name down and start the next day.

However...you don't want to muck out the stables.....all you want to do is feed sugar cubes to the horses, 'cause it makes you feel good.

Long term gig?

Here's a ferinstance: Horse farm looking for a volunteer. You put your name down and start the next day.

However...you don't want to muck out the stables.....all you want to do is feed sugar cubes to the horses, 'cause it makes you feel good.

Long term gig?
I wouldn't go in blind to such an opportunity. I'd be asking what the volunteer work entails. So it's not a ferinstance I'd face.

The volunteer work I do is a lot more than feeding sugar cubes to horsies, so it's not just superficial fun.

I don't think you are being "a relatively impartial observer" as you said you were. If you don't want to volunteer, don't. Not sure why you have to discourage others though.

I feel that volunteering is one way to contribute to society. Everyone who is able should contribute somehow, either with time or money or both.

When our girls were growing up, DH and I coached youth sports teams. For the past few years we’ve been contributing members of the volunteer fire department (mostly kitchen help for the fundraising events). Last summer I made the extra commitment and joined the department as fire police. This time of year we do tax prep through AARP.

There are many ways to help your neighbors, whether through organized groups or, as mentioned up thread, by doing chores for those who struggle.

We can all do something to make the world a better place. Find that something.

OK...I have finally realized my error which, combined with an inherent tendency for underarticulation, has inhibited my attempts to deliver my hypothesis.

I'm viewing from the 'wrong' side of the fence.

While others may be looking at how it makes them feel, I've been unconsciously playing the advocatus diaboli and looking at the situation as if I were a regular employee dealing with sciolists.

I'll bow out now....thanks for the chat.:flowers:

Long term gig?

Yep, I worked with a couple of prima donna volunteers. They only want to do certain jobs and instead of rotating the job of who picks up the dog poop, they only want to feed or walk the dogs or work the front desk. Picking up the dog poop also gives the "paid help" a break from that job. When I volunteer I'll work where I'm sent. I'm only volunteering for a couple of hours and it's not going to kill me to do an unpleasant job.
Hey, we're volunteering so we can go to the "volunteer luncheon" and get a pat on the head!

I've complained about volunteering feeling too much like a job, so I have to balance the scales by saying, in favor of volunteering, that there are plenty of health and social benefits associated with it.

This is well supported by the research. For example:

This research has established a strong relationship between volunteering and health: those who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer. Comparisons of the health benefits of volunteering for different age groups have also shown that older volunteers are the most likely to receive greater benefits from volunteering, whether because they are more likely to face higher incidence of illness or because volunteering provides them with physical and social activity and a sense of purpose at a time when their social roles are changing. Some of these findings also indicate that volunteers who devote a “considerable” amount of time to volunteer activities (about 100 hours per year) are most likely to exhibit positive health outcomes.
https://www.nationalservice.gov/pdf/07_0506_hbr.pdf

Note that the "considerable time" required to get the health benefits is really only about 2 hours a week.

Another:

Volunteering combats depression. Volunteering keeps you in regular contact with others and helps you develop a solid support system, which in turn protects you against depression.

Volunteering makes you happy. By measuring hormones and brain activity, researchers have discovered that being helpful to others delivers immense pleasure. Human beings are hard-wired to give to others. The more we give, the happier we feel.

Volunteering increases self-confidence. You are doing good for others and the community, which provides a natural sense of accomplishment. Your role as a volunteer can also give you a sense of pride and identity. And the better you feel about yourself, the more likely you are to have a positive view of your life and future goals.

Volunteering provides a sense of purpose. Older adults, especially those who have retired or lost a spouse, can find new meaning and direction in their lives by helping others. Whatever your age or life situation, volunteering can help take your mind off your own worries, keep you mentally stimulated, and add more zest to your life.

Volunteering helps you stay physically healthy. Studies have found that those who volunteer have a lower mortality rate than those who do not. Older volunteers tend to walk more, find it easier to cope with everyday tasks, are less likely to develop high blood pressure, and have better thinking skills. Volunteering can also lessen symptoms of chronic pain and reduce the risk of heart disease.
https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/volunteering-and-its-surprising-benefits.htm

Re. that last bit, about lower mortality rate, this from the Mayo Clinic: "An analysis of data from the Longitudinal Study of Aging found that individuals who volunteer have lower mortality rates than those who do not, even when controlling for age, gender and physical health."

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem....g-lives-the-6-health-benefits-of-volunteering

My initial experience with volunteering may have been kind of "meh," but with all of the positive benefits associated with volunteering, it's not something I'm going to pass up permanently. I may not be in the mood for anything that feels like "work" right now, but I'm still early in retirement. I think it's just a matter of time and of finding a good fit.

p.s. Research note: these are typically associational or correlational studies, as opposed to randomized controlled research, so some of these effects may be attributable to confounding factors. For instance, it could be that people who are healthier, happier, more connected, more spiritual or whatever, are more likely to volunteer, whereas people who are less healthy, happy, etc., tend not to. And so you'd end up with the volunteers looking better than the non-volunteers, but because that's how they started out, not because of volunteering itself. That might be responsible for some of the effects you see here.

However, it's also true that some of the research on helping and volunteering is randomized controlled research and so it's not subject to that critique. In addition, some of the research attempts to control for other factors/confounds after the fact (e.g., the Mayo bit), although I'm a little skeptical of those post-hoc statistical adjustments.

Last edited:
I don't do any volunteer jobs that require ongoing commitment (other than my foster kitties who I commit till they find a home).

There is a local group that does it via meetup, so you can sign up as little as 2 days away and then I just show up for 2-3 hours and go home. I also transport for the rescue and that is totally adhoc, is anyone available to drive from A to B today or tomorrow. Obviously no supervision needed to pick up a cat and take it across town.
The volunteers at the gardens have to just commit to a few hours every week, you pick the time, there is some overseeing up front to be sure you know what you are doing, but then its up to you to figure out what works.

So I guess if you want to do this, just keep looking as there are usually opportunities like you explained out there, it just takes a little more digging and trial and error.

You have to look outside yourself sometimes to be healthy. Volunteering isn't the way for everyone. But for some (myself included) it works.

I would guess that for the full on, end of spectrum ITNJs on this board, it may not work. That's OK. But find someone, or something to look beyond yourself.

Just my opinion.

^ I like that. Without volunteering in the world it would be very sad place. Bless the ones that can give of their time and talents.

You have to look outside yourself sometimes to be healthy. Volunteering isn't the way for everyone. But for some (myself included) it works.

I would guess that for the full on, end of spectrum ITNJs on this board, it may not work. That's OK. But find someone, or something to look beyond yourself.

Just my opinion.

I am an "end of spectrum" INTJ - I peg every indicator. When I first volunteered at Habitat, I was told they really needed cashiers in the ReStore. I was horrified. While I knew I was unsuited to work on homes (trust me - even painting walls is beyond me), I had hoped for office work. Over the years, cashiering has grown on me and now I love greeting my Saturday morning "regulars."

So even if you're as introverted as I am, give volunteer opportunities you don't-at-first think will work a chance. They won't all suit, of course. But one might pleasantly surprise you.

I wasn't going to return to this thread but a couple points have been circulating around what passes for my brain:

- Souschef - provides a much needed volunteer service that very few others can offer - he goes WHERE he's needed and he DOES what is needed.....no vacillating.

But here's one that kinda rubs me......wealth(ier) teens soliciting money from the public or their parents/relatives to go to Africa (or somesuch) to 'help' by digging wells (for example).......if you want to help impoverished villagers, send them the money...they know how to dig!

Back
Top Bottom