Wedding Gift Question

What if it's a second or third wedding? Does it change your attitude/amounts?

It would depend on the reasons. Due to being widowed, no change. Otherwise, we would judge the situation and the information available to use and make a decision.

Seriously, I can't remember the last thank you card I got, and I've been to a lot of weddings, showers and grad parties in the last 10+ years. I think it went out of style. Sad.

DW and I were just talking about this. It appears that thank you cards are becoming few and far between. We have one or two daughters of friends that are very good at thank you notes, even for small gifts to their kids, but for many there is nothing, Even for a rather large wedding gift.

Of course, the younger folk probably never send anything via snail mail. Not sure they would even know where to buy a stamp :D.

My daughter sent out personalized thank you cards in late August for those who attended her wedding shower the week before (getting married Oct 12). As of last week not a single card had been delivered. It turns out that the post office set them aside, when their machine wouldn't cancel the postage due to their thin profile. My future SIL went in to the P.O. window and asked about them. They found them in a basket behind the counter, and sent them out right away.

This is a very timely thread, as DW and I are attending a wedding tomorrow night. The groom is a business associate of mine, and we were discussing the amount of the wedding gift. They aren't registered, so planning on cash or gift card in the neighborhood of $200.
As to thank-you notes, this is a sore spot for us. Our DS married in March, and no thank-you's have been sent. In the first couple of months DW & I tried to casually ask about them, stating a friend of ours had asked if their gift/card had been received since they hadn't received a thank-you. Our DIL said she hadn't sent any thank-you's yet, but read she had up to a year to do it! The reaction on our faces must have been telling, so we haven't mentioned it since to avoid a confrontation. But is very frustrating to us, as we raised both our kids to send thank-you's out for any gifts.

Per current gift schedule:
$500 family wedding
$250 family graduation
$50 family (young nieces/nephew B-days, Christmas)
$200 close friend wedding.

This is a very timely thread, as DW and I are attending a wedding tomorrow night. The groom is a business associate of mine, and we were discussing the amount of the wedding gift. They aren't registered, so planning on cash or gift card in the neighborhood of $200.
As to thank-you notes, this is a sore spot for us. Our DS married in March, and no thank-you's have been sent. In the first couple of months DW & I tried to casually ask about them, stating a friend of ours had asked if their gift/card had been received since they hadn't received a thank-you. Our DIL said she hadn't sent any thank-you's yet, but read she had up to a year to do it! The reaction on our faces must have been telling, so we haven't mentioned it since to avoid a confrontation. But is very frustrating to us, as we raised both our kids to send thank-you's out for any gifts.

But it seems like even though you raised your son to send thank you notes, he's not doing it. So even though we raise our kids one way, we can't control what they do as adults.

DW and I were just talking about this. It appears that thank you cards are becoming few and far between. We have one or two daughters of friends that are very good at thank you notes, even for small gifts to their kids, but for many there is nothing, Even for a rather large wedding gift.

Of course, the younger folk probably never send anything via snail mail. Not sure they would even know where to buy a stamp :D.

In the case of my niece above, she/they managed to find fancy personalized wedding invitations and RSVP cards, filled with links to two very pricey wedding registries and detailed instructions on how to donate to the "honeymoon fund" for the trip of their dreams, and yet they seem unable to scrounge up a thank you card and a stamp for it. Even an email thank you would suffice, but they inexplicably seem to have misplaced that information as well.

When the future children arrive, I expect to receive equally fancy pleas for expensive gifts for little Junior (from all the priciest shops & websites) or just straight-up requests for cash. Too bad my mail carrier will inexplicably be unable to find my mailbox to deliver any such requests.

We get thank notes from the groom all the time--your new DIL could share "her" job of writing them with your DS

Last edited:
I don’t care if a person has been married more than once. If I go I give a check so that they can get what they want.

Back
Top Bottom