what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if there is any particular reason that the Veteran's cause tugs at your heart? As the daughter of a Viet Vet. it always pleases me to know there are people out there who care enough to give their time generously to this sector of the public.
My mom was very patriotic, so I learned from her. I grew up just a few miles south of West Point Military Academy.
My uncle (her brother) was a 30 year Navy man and retired as a CPO.
My late husband was a 4 year Navy man.
My fiance (dh2b) was a 20 year AF man.
I myself was going to join the USCG, headed for OCS right out of high school, however I won a full scholarship and went to college instead.
Even though I never served, I feel it is proper and an honor to use my talents to assist those who did. Simple. :D

Freebird, thanks for that info. It's always nice to hear the background as to why people do what they do, helps to get to know people better.

I have never done jury duty . Since I was a nurse for forty years I was exempt .

Just curious, why does being a nurse make you exempt. Are all healthcare professionals exempt?

My mom was very patriotic, so I learned from her. I grew up just a few miles south of West Point Military Academy.
My uncle (her brother) was a 30 year Navy man and retired as a CPO.
My late husband was a 4 year Navy man.
My fiance (dh2b) was a 20 year AF man.
I myself was going to join the USCG, headed for OCS right out of high school, however I won a full scholarship and went to college instead.
Even though I never served, I feel it is proper and an honor to use my talents to assist those who did. Simple. :D

I take it you're a sucker for guys in uniform...

Just curious, why does being a nurse make you exempt. Are all healthcare professionals exempt?

Does amateur pharmacist count? :whistle:

Does amateur pharmacist count? :whistle:

I think it does. :D I have a friend who wore a Grateful Dead t-shirt (Steal Your Face) under his nice white shirt when he went in for jury duty. He got sent home immediately after the voir dire started. ;)

I am attempting to finish my neverending wallpaper scraping project from two years ago.

Back in 2007 I was working on my dressing room area (dressing room with sink and closets, plus little room with toilet and shower). At that time, I ran out of steam when I was almost done so I painted what I had done and left what was unfinished (the little alcove over the sink) half scraped and unpainted. And there it sat for two years. It looks terrific, BTW, except for that one little corner which looks like Dresden after the War.

So, if I am going to sell the house and move, I need to finish. I HATE SCRAPING WALLPAPER (in case you had any misconceptions). I am planning to scrape and repair 1/3 of it each day for 3 days (no need to break out in a sweat). So far, I have only done the first 18" above the sink so I have more to do before I have completed 1/3. Painting afterwards will be more fun. I don't need any help or suggestions but I am just posting for sympathy. :rolleyes:

W2R!! Get ye to your local rental center and get their steamer!!!! Used properly (enough steam) you'll do almost no scraping, and will need minimal repair to the drywall.

Thank you :flowers:, but I worked really hard on it yesterday and I think I am done with it! I just have to check for any minor patching that I might have overlooked. Then I can paint, re-hang the mirror, clean up, and I will be done, done, DONE. Then sell the house and let the new owners put more wallpaper up if they want to.

I will never, ever, ever try to remove wallpaper again! I promise. Next time if absolutely necessary, I will hire someone to do it since it is not a good match for my skill sets.

I will never, ever, ever try to remove wallpaper again! I promise. Next time if absolutely necessary, I will hire someone to do it since it is not a good match for my skill sets.

I know what you mean, W2R. I removed wallpaper from two bathrooms when I moved into my house. I swore up and down that it was the dirtiest job I'd ever done, with little bits of sticky paper stuck all over everything.

Since then, I have had the pleasure of putting up and finishing drywall, which, for me, takes top honors in the dirty job category. Now I want nothing to do with either drywall finishing OR wallpaper removal! :LOL:

I know what you mean, W2R. I removed wallpaper from two bathrooms when I moved into my house. I swore up and down that it was the dirtiest job I'd ever done, with little bits of sticky paper stuck all over everything.

Since then, I have had the pleasure of putting up and finishing drywall, which, for me, takes top honors in the dirty job category. Now I want nothing to do with either drywall finishing OR wallpaper removal! :LOL:

Thank you for the warning! I have never done drywall either, and didn't realize it was as bad a wallpaper. Actually, in a sense I am glad to hear this about drywall, because there were many times when I thought I was a complete idiot for removing the wallpaper instead of just re-doing the drywall.

When we eventually move north, I will make the effort to become acquainted with a GOOD painter/wallpaper-remover/drywall man. I will pay through the nose, but I will be happier just LBYM'ing enough to compensate for the bill, than attempting something I am so totally unsuited to tackle.

When we eventually move north, I will make the effort to become acquainted with a GOOD painter/wallpaper-remover/drywall man. I will pay through the nose, but I will be happier just LBYM'ing enough to compensate for the bill, than attempting something I am so totally unsuited to tackle.

I went thru a wall paper phase at the last house before this one. Never again will I hang wallpaper, remove wallpaper or even paint! I even hate to think about it. My daughter's old bedroom and bathroom is now mine. It needs to be painted and I will hire it done. I'm hoping that the bedroom/bathroom will be my project for 2010 under my "household" budget category.

Bet you really glad that job is done.

I spent the last 2 mornings and early afternoons at the hospital with our new friends. The guy had a minor surgery done. We kept them company and brought some goodies.
I hate hospitals for some rather grim reasons. :nonono:
So I had to keep myself busy while he was in surgery.
Coloring is my therapy for difficult situations.
And IT'S STILL FUN :D, even at age 51.
I got him laughing by showing him a drawing of a open field, pine trees, and a small pond complete with cattails and a Canadian goose. I used crayons I found in the waiting room. I taped it to his room wall at his request. :flowers:
I was actually OK and only had 1 minor flashback. Another demon conquered. :D

Ripped out molding, prepped and painted the upstairs landing/hall to match the living room. New moldings are all primed and painted, so tomorrow morning it'll be me and the miter box, madly chopping and nailing away.

Then, while DW is out, I'll assemble a new display case for her collectibles across the end of the landing. Christmas present... :whistle:

Coloring is my therapy for difficult situations.
And IT'S STILL FUN :D, even at age 51.
I got him laughing by showing him a drawing of a open field, pine trees, and a small pond complete with cattails and a Canadian goose. I used crayons I found in the waiting room. I taped it to his room wall at his request.

We want to see.

I am at work, waiting for some tests to come back. It's been the day from hell. Can anything else go wrong?

I have been doing all things Christmasy . Decorating the tree ,wrapping presents ,shopping , making menus and cleaning . Every year at this time I get into a frenzy of activity which lasts until Jan.2 . when I am completely exhausted . It's like a Holiday marathon where most of the contestants are women .The guys get to sit on the sidelines and admire the results .

Here's a coloring book to cheer up your friend:

il_430xN.32886890.jpg

Here's a coloring book to cheer up your friend:

il_430xN.32886890.jpg
Now THAT he would have enjoyed. :LOL:
But all he got was the product of integrating unattended crayons in a hospital waiting room with a FIREd engineer who was feeling a bit zany.

First one here who laughs at my artwork, gets it from the tuff girl from Noo Yawk. :bat:

Attachments

• CrayonSceneDec09.jpg
    CrayonSceneDec09.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 6
Wow, 3 hours elapsed time and nobody from peanut gallery took the bait. You all are slipping! :LOL:

Today is listening to some exquisite symphonic classical music at high volume, doing laundry, and chilling alternating with reading and posting here. The violins are crankin' and it is snowing like h*ll out.
My friend is recuperating well and strong enough to tell me to please quit fussing. A very positive sign indeed.

Life is good. :D

Freebird, I like it! I especially like the way your drawing had some interesting hills in it. It is certainly a lot better than any crayon drawing I have ever done. :)

I would have commented 3 hours ago but I wasn't online. I slept until (gasp!) 11:45 AM this morning, and then Frank took me to lunch. Nothing like waking up to a huge plate full of shrimp Creole (burp).

Wow, 3 hours elapsed time and nobody from peanut gallery took the bait. You all are slipping! :LOL:

I think it is very sweet and certainly much better than anything I could draw. I especially like the duck/goose on the pond. I don't see how anyone could say anything negative about it (maybe that's why the 3 hours of silence?). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom