what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You popped for a car AND a haircut on the same day? I'm making a note in my diary!

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: I know! I was going to cut my hair myself this morning, and then decided it was a beautiful day and there was no reason to be so [-]cheap[/-] frugal.

I have been busy since my last post. I am now on page 105 of the 620 page owner's manual :duh:

Ladies, congratulations on stimulating the economy all by yourselves.

Now who will be buying the new Apple iwhatchamacallit tomorrow?

My baby, by the light of early morning as promised. I slept all of 3 hours last night as I was reading about the phenomenal amount of gadgetry in my new car into the wee hours. Today I will drive over to my insurance agent's office to get my insurance switched over. Then I will probably spend several hours with that huge 600+ page owners' manual, sitting in the car and trying to figure out how to work everything.

Attachments

• Venza640x480.jpg
    Venza640x480.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
Breaking news: Toyota is suspending sales of the models involved in the gas pedal problem.
Toyota suspends sales of eight models in recall
The Toyotas have been flying out of the dealerships here. This is a major embarrassment for Toyota.
I came close to buying a new Toyota recently, but decided to hang on to my oldie (15) but goodie Honda Accord, which I love. :flowers:
You might want to check that the accelerator cable isn't fraying on the engine side of the firewall at the plastic guide.

I don't want to get into how I learned about that with a 1990 Honda Civic... good thing it had a standard shift and not an automatic transmission. Sold it a few years ago, but we still see that car on the road around the island occasionally.

W2R- nice car, we'll probably be in the market next year if all goes as planned.

I had quite a day yesterday, broke ground (or at least started clearing trees) for our retirement house- it's a log house in WV. While the builder was taking down trees and clearing stumps, I used a chipper shredder to try to mulch the tops- two very large piles of mulch at the end of the day and quite a work out. No activity at the place today but back to clear the rest on Thursday- then the real fun will start, excavating the basement. Here's a photo at the end of the day.

blogdayoneend.jpg

Attachments

• blogdayoneend.jpg
    blogdayoneend.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 1
My baby, by the light of early morning as promised.

That's a good-looking car, W2R. Congratulations! :flowers:

My SO and I both drove Toyotas for many years and were very happy with them. We found them to be reliable, low-maintenance cars. When it was finally time for me to buy a new car (after 19 good years with my little Toyota), I was disappointed to not find a new Toyota model that caught my eye. I would have given serious consideration to the Venza if it had been available then.

My baby, by the light of early morning as promised. I slept all of 3 hours last night as I was reading about the phenomenal amount of gadgetry in my new car into the wee hours. Today I will drive over to my insurance agent's office to get my insurance switched over. Then I will probably spend several hours with that huge 600+ page owners' manual, sitting in the car and trying to figure out how to work everything.
Sweet ride! Congrats on your new baby. :flowers:

Today I'm going to determine whether it makes a difference to sear a pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker. I cut the chuck roast in two, and seared one piece.

Today I'm going to determine whether it makes a difference to sear a pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker. I cut the chuck roast in two, and seared one piece.
The "Whaddya do all day"? question is answered once again...

I'm betting the seared half will have better coloring and be a bit juicier.

Sharp car, great color! One of our friends has one and LOVES it. Did you get the V-6 or 4 cylinder?

After mentioning (on a thread somewhere) how I like to use my smoker/cooker I went out last night and bought 3 huge Boston butt's and 2 large chicken hens. Today I plan to get the wood, smoker etc. out and get it ready to go. I'll wait until tomorrow to fire it up since it is supposed to be in the 60 degree range. I guess it will be a whole day of tending the fire/smoker, drinking beer and eating the hot Cajun peanuts I got to help me make it through all the intense labor.
Its a tough job but somebodies got to do it, :cool:
Steve

PS. Nice ride W2R

Sharp car, great color! One of our friends has one and LOVES it. Did you get the V-6 or 4 cylinder?

Thank you! The color doesn't show dirt, which was my main criterion for color since I don't have a garage. I got the V-6 because I really wanted the dual moonroof, and you can only get that with the V-6 except by special order (at least in this part of the country). The moonroof was one of my "must haves" in looking at various models. By the way, the V-6 is really ZIPPY after driving a four cylinder all these years.

My gas mileage will be a lot lower with the V-6 than it was with the 4 cylinder Solara, but then I don't put that many miles on a car so maybe that isn't as important for me as I once thought.

Otherwise, I think I got just about all the options except the all wheel drive, GPS, and tow package.

I love the car, W2R--hope your haircut is just as cool.

Thank you!! The haircut was really good, too. Very short this time and I like it. Yesterday was really my day.

This car drives like a dream. So smooth and responsive. The driving part is easy, fun, and a breeze.

On the other hand, some of the gadgetry is easy but some won't work for me until I get out the manual and figure it out. Then it is easy. So there is a lot to experiment with and learn, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Oddly, when I compared identical insurance policies, insurance on the Solara was $200/year more than identical insurance on the Venza. However, my insurance agent talked me into adding collision/comprehensive, which I didn't have with my Solara. I wasn't going to get it but it turned out that it doesn't cost that much more, and maybe that's wisest for a brand new car.

Love your new car W2R. It's so exciting to get new car or toy. The first few months after I get a new car, I'm almost afraid to drive it for fear of a scratch or dent.

Thanks, Happy2bretired. I felt the same way driving around today. I thought about driving to a shopping center but I wasn't quite ready to risk the dings and dents if I parked there. :2funny: Maybe tomorrow.

Revision on plan for the day.
The weather is nice, going to 54 degrees, close enough so:
The smoker is fired up and the boston butts & beer can chickens are cooking away.
I guess its time for chilling, beer of the day(NewCastle)& nuts !!!
I mean slaving away tending the fire, that's the ticket. :whistle:
I may still be cooking a little later than I wanted but what tha hey I'm retired, right?

W2R,
I always park on the end of a row or at the far end of parking lots.
I'm a fanatic about protecting my vehicles.
The little extra walk is probably good for me anyhow.
Steve

Thanks, Happy2bretired. I felt the same way driving around today. I thought about driving to a shopping center but I wasn't quite ready to risk the dings and dents if I parked there. :2funny: Maybe tomorrow.
I still do this 5 years later with my midlife crisis car. You will quickly find all the parking spots with the curb next to it so only 1 car can park next to you. Snug right up to the curb and their door cannot reach your car. :D

W2R, just don't end up being one of those people that take up 2 or 3 parking spaces or you might end up on the "pet peeves" list.:ROFLMAO:

That's true, although I am all for parking on the far side of the parking lot on sunny days, for exercise. I would never intentionally take up more than one space. I think that is annoying, too. I like Freebird's idea of parking next to a curb which is compatible with Steve's idea of parking on the end of a row.

Freebird's idea of parking next to a curb which is compatible with Steve's idea of parking on the end of a row.

I actually get the first space at the end of the row, closest to the store sometimes. I just park as far away from the other car as possible, like over the line on the safe side. If you get my drift/what I mean.
Steve

You can protect that investment/Ride if you put forth the effort.
I learned this from my Dad (82 yrs. old) & still taking care of his vehicle. :D
I keep a small umbrella in the car for the nasty days.

Update !!!
We are now cruising at 250 degrees.
Altitude unknown (maybe a Little buzz/high) in Alabama at this time.
Chicken is looking great.
Pork Butts have several hours to go.
ETA (estimated time of arrival) 7:00 CT
Yes, I know-30yrs. is way to long to hang out at the Airport.
Steve

Had a great day. We're in the process of upgrading a recently purchased home. I'm stunned by how far we have gone. Closed on 12/30/09 to take advantage of the "newly purchased home-first time home buyer" and get the $8000 tax credit. Since then we have virtually gutted it. Only thing not being replaced is the carpet in master bedroom. Removed all the "popcorn" ceilings, carpeting, vinyl flooring and kitchen cabinets. Ceiling painting will be finished today and Monday the tile installation starts. 100% tile except for master bedroom and bath. After the tile comes the new kitchen cabinets. Still about 30 days from move in date. Had a giant oak tree trimmed out back. Spent four hours raking up twigs and leaves and getting rid of the junk. Looking good. After the tile and the new cabinets come the new lighting, fans and fireplace. Third time we've done this and hope "third time is a charm". I'm tired of it. DW loves it. She wakes me up in the middle of the night and wants to talk about decorating and color choices.
Can't wait till this is over.

Whoo hoo, W2R - new car!

I walked down to the Potomac to see the minor flooding. Saw a cool hawk screaming. Read some of an old murder mystery that has been sitting around my house for a decade or so. Got my annuity letter and saw that my annual leave is in my account now. Updated my spreadsheets with the new info. A good day.

Yesterday, I pulled 40 pairs of old shoes out of my closet and took them to the Goodwill. It really is ridiculous how much stuff gets stowed away and forgotten.

Evening newsflash...I installed TurboTax and did all data entry except my proceeds from brokerage forms. I got burned out :( and didn't want to make mistakes. So I quit (there is always a nice ring to that word ;)).
This will be the last year I have to do manual entry of forms from 3 different fund family/brokerage sources. Now that all my stuff is under 1 roof at VG, next year I simply click on the download button. :clap:
Sometimes I get it right. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom