what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 4:28 and all I have done today is email, surf, get the snail mail, and make chicken and mushroom curry in the crockpot. :whistle:
My grand finale will be making rice. Then I shall sink, exhausted from my toils :(, back into the recliner.

:2funny: Sounds like MY day so far! Only I did not cook. I slept in, and then upon awakening I went back to sleep just because I could. Slept until 10 AM. Then got dressed, drank a cup of coffee and Frank took me out to lunch where I ate FAR too much.

Outside the restaurant (which is located right at the 17th St. Canal pump station) was a tour bus. Those tourists, parading out of the pump station tour, looked a lot happier and more confident than any residents I know concerning its adequacy but oh well.

After lunch, we went over to Frank's house for a while and spent some time together. Then he dropped me off back at my house on his way to his job, and ever since I have been e-mailing, surfing the net, and napping on and off.... Eventually, if I feel like it I might put up some painter's tape so that I can paint the woodwork a different color, a little later on this week. I have a really pretty color of paint to try.

This is the life! :D

So that the dog's wine, huh? BTW, what's a "skid steer"?

Yes, Deago prefers a nice glass of white after a day of snoozing.

Thanks for the skid steer picture. Today I drove to Ashland, VA to pick up a snow plow for mine and used it to clear the remaining snow from the drives here in Leesburg, VA as a test. Decided to buy the plow because we have about a 1600' gravel drive at the property where we're building our retirement house so wanted to have the right equipment to dig out. Ashland, about a 4 hour round trip, was the only place I could find a plow in stock, the guy there said this one had been delivered yesterday by accident but he knew he'd be able to sell it. I looked for a plow last week but none to be found, found this one on Ebay yesterday afternoon.

Really retired!

I've had one foot in retirement, the other in freelance writing for about a year. Today, I sent my clients an email telling them that I would no longer be available for work. I guess that makes me officially retired! YIKES!

We're getting ready to buy a chain saw this spring. We lost a blue spruce in all this massive snow and are hopeful that we can chop it up ourselves with a chain saw (which we've been thinking about buying anyway).

Do you have any recommendations?

It kind of depends on your needs, but you can't go wrong with a Stihl chainsaw. They don't sell them at the big box stores, but they are not overpriced, given the quality. The inexpensive ones at the big box stores these days are mostly made in China, even though they bear the names of brands that you would recognize from the past.

We're getting ready to buy a chain saw this spring. We lost a blue spruce in all this massive snow and are hopeful that we can chop it up ourselves with a chain saw (which we've been thinking about buying anyway).

No expert here, but my instincts are telling me you do not want to mess up a brand new chain with all that fresh sap from a blue spruce.
Calling all closet chainsaw wielding forum members...wanna help me out here? :greetings10:

Do you have any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I'd second the recommendation for Stihl chainsaws. I have a portable sawmill business and always have a couple of Stihl saws on my truck, very satisfied. Sounds like something with a 14" or 16" bar would work for what you're trying to do, big enough to do some serious sawing but would be light enough for lugging around. If you haven't used a chainsaw before, don't forget the safety equipment and try to get someone to help you, they're not complicated but can do damage quickly if not handled the right way.

I have today off (I went back to work this week, but it's only part-time...yeah!). I did a bit of surfing off and on today, but most of the day was spent cleaning.:yuk: I've decided Thursdays will be cleaning day and Fridays grocery shopping. The weekend will then be free for DH and I to do fun stuff or projects.

Yup. We lost some trees too. DH's Sears chainsaw lasted 32 years. He bought another one.

Thanks REWahoo. Now I know what a skid steer is, I want one of these plus a big as* show blower to make sure we never, ever, have to shovel like we did this season.

Attachments

• skid_steer.jpg
    skid_steer.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 90
Hmmm Dave...your dog looks like it has a little buzz goin'....great pic by the way. :D

Today I went to a meeting at the police department in regards to a new volunteer opportunity. I'll be working in CID discussing issues with victims. Sounds interesting, eh..but if I don't like it I can say 'no thanks'. That's one of the great things about volunteering. ;)

Hmmm Dave...your dog looks like it has a little buzz goin'....great pic by the way. :D

Today I went to a meeting at the police department in regards to a new volunteer opportunity. I'll be working in CID discussing issues with victims. Sounds interesting, eh..but if I don't like it I can say 'no thanks'. That's one of the great things about volunteering. ;)

Sounds interesting. I work with victims too but mostly of the animal variety. My charity group has been supporting an effort in cooperation with the local police dept to find a way to get animals outta homes with domestic violance while the peeps find a way out. We learned what keeps people from getting out of really bad situations is finding a way to take care of the kids and pets before getting out. Man oh man. You wouldn't believe the demand.

Sounds interesting. I work with victims too but mostly of the animal variety. My charity group has been supporting a effort in cooperation with the local police dept to find a place for animals in homes with domestic violance while the peeps find a way out. We learned what keeps people from getting out of really bad situations is finding a way to take care of the kids and pets before getting out.
Bless your heart Purron...you speak for the ones that can't. I'm so proud of you! :flowers:
Man oh man. You wouldn't believe the demand.
Unfortunately, I would. :(

I thought I might do some volunteer work when I retired. Only problem is.......they don't pay you.:blink:

Played another 9 holes today and trimmed more bushes at my mother's house. Her back yard looked a little on the jungle side. But looking good now, you wouldn't believe how much I have piled up at the street ready to be hauled away. I'm sore and need a med.
2009-Aug-30-Cabin-1191-Wood-Pile-Lo.JPG

If you are sure you want to do this, only way to go is a Stihl. I have one still going strong that I bought many years ago.

However, what my advice would be is to take a little of the money you would spend on this and get somebody else to get rid of the tree. Spruce is mediocre firewood at best, and chainsaws are dangerous, loud and no fun.

Then buy some nice seasoned hardwood for your fireplace.

Ha

Played another 9 holes today and trimmed more bushes at my mother's house. Her back yard looked a little on the jungle side. But looking good now, you wouldn't believe how much I have piled up at the street ready to be hauled away. I'm sore and need a med.
2009-Aug-30-Cabin-1191-Wood-Pile-Lo.JPG
Ahhhh....a man that knows how to handle his putter and knock on wood! :smitten:

Got up this morning and sat on the balcony in the sun, ate breakfast, sat on the balcony in the sun, went out to do a little shopping and eat lunch then stopped at a hobby shop, came back and sat in the sun, went to visit some friends and play bingo with their tour group this evening (and won $5), and then went to Steak & Shake for a late supper. :cool:

It kind of depends on your needs, but you can't go wrong with a Stihl chainsaw. They don't sell them at the big box stores, but they are not overpriced, given the quality.

Another vote for Stihl chainsaws. I bought one in 1979 and it still runs fine.

Yesterday reminded me again why we like West Virginia so much. Went to renew my driver's license and was out in 15 minutes. In MD that normally took at least an hour, sometimes two.

Other than a grocery store run that was all I did yesterday besides ordering a parts washer online.

So Dave, how do you keep those socks so white?

Photoshop? Seriously, I was amazed they looked so clean when my DW sent me the pictures she took- I had literally just put them on so didn't have time to get them too dirty- believe me, around here with 4 dogs, 30" of snow/mud, it's nearly impossible to keep the floors clean.

Yesterday, went and dug my skid steer out of a snow bank at a job site so I could bring it home to clear snow around the house- took most of the day, a lot of digging by hand. Took it easy once I got home, that's not my wine, lol.

img_905821_0_153629f3b6a8568fe236095e92f6e227.jpg

I went back to check out the super white socks. Is that the "Kid's Post" you're reading? If so, it sure beats the "Jobs" section;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom