what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent most of the day with Frank. He had a big wide grin on his face all day! I have never seen someone so happy to retire. :D

Drove in snow and hail to get fingerprinted for the state of NJ.....felt like the postman!
Hung out with some friends....can't wait to go to work tomorrow!!!

He still wearing his pink slip? :cool:

I don't think he would notice if he was! He's just happy as a pig in a mud puddle. The amazing thing is when he doesn't know anyone is looking at him- - he is STILL smiling! :D me too. :)

I remember very well feeling exactly the same way - and it lasted for days and days.

Funny, I woke up this morning thinking how fortunate I am to be retired. And it is true, most days seem like Saturday. Only problem with this day, it truly is Saturday and there will be working people on the golf course slowing it all down.:( I'm spoiled.;) Actually, I normally don't play on weekends now just because I can play all week long with very few people out there. But this time of year, you have to play when the weather is good.

Plumbing repairs today. Always a vocabulary building exercise.

I witnessed the dynamic duo of computer doctors (dh2b and guy friend) put their heads together and diagnose and fix a persnickety hard drive problem on the wife's desktop. The missus and I hung out talking, but we made sure each of us went down the hall for periodic "cheering on" sessions.
Q: "How's it going, guys?" :cool:
A: "We've tried X and Y and it still isn't <fill in the blank>."
Exit stage left...

The sun is out. It is not snowing. I can see little rivers of water running across the driveway where the snow is MELTING. :clap:
The rest of the day is going to be frittered away in the style in which I have become accustomed on a Sunday. :whistle:

Frank and I spent much of the day together. Turns out his pension check is already direct deposited and pending at his bank! It will clear tomorrow. He officially retired from megacorp on Friday (which was his day off anyway) so it took just one (1) day. That is so cool, compared with government that always takes so long.

After lunch at a nice local Cajun restaurant, we wandered around Home Depot picking up stuff for our individual projects. Accordingly, he got to spend half of this afternoon at his house fixing a leaky toilet. Meanwhile I got to put up painter's tape at my house for some more painting. I think I probably had more fun, don't you? :LOL: I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

award news

I've been on 'vacation' for the past few days as DH has been out of town. He played bass guitar in his Latin Jazz band at the Elmhurst Illinois University jazz festival and will be home tomorrow.

I need to clean up around here a little bit....:whistle:

Just talked to him, he received an award for Outstanding Soloist....:dance:
He is the talented one.

Last edited:
Got a nice elliptical trainer for $40 at a garage sale, so my stable of rainy day torture devices is now complete (treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, elliptical, weight bench).

Wow!! I have "home gym envy", Al! Your collection of gym equipment sounds like a dream come true.

Yesterday I dusted off my exercycle and rode 3 miles on it. It's a start, anyway.

The team of wild horses and I finally finished reviewing and e-filed my Federal taxes.
I have to send in some supporting hardcopy documents with my state return, so I'm printing it now. Pop that baby in a First Class envelope and off it goes first thing tomorrow AM. :greetings10:

Federal refund: just a little over $2K
State owed: Zero

Mwah ha haaaaaaaaa...>:D

YouTube - Taxman

I painted a whole bunch of baseboard moulding today, and am finishing up the low voltage wiring for the Great family Room Refit of 2010. I suspect I'll run out of things to do well before the cabinets and carpet arrive. :LOL:

Saturday afternoon about 2 p.m. we arrived in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel and got settled into a nice room with a balcony overlooking one of the 3 huge atriums in the hotel. Then we had a VERY nice seafood dinner at the Cascades restaurant in the hotel, before we headed over to the auditorium for the Grand Ole Opry!!! Loved it as always!!!

Sunday we enjoyed a magnificent buffet breakfast at the Water's Edge (in the hotel) that's located beside the indoor, Delta River. Then we goofed off most of the day, and enjoyed sitting on our balcony perusing the lush greenery and waterfalls in the atrium. About noon we wandered over the Delta Island in one of the other atriums, and had some frozen goodies at the Häagen-Dazs shop and "people watched" for anhour or so, before returning to our balcony perch.

Then last evening we ate at the opulent Old Hickory Steakhouse (in the hotel) and gorged ourselves on awesome food.....I had a fork-tender 22 oz. bone-in rib steak cooked medium, and all the trimmings. Mom had their barbecued short ribs with all of the trimmings.....and she said they were excellent!

This morning we went back to the Water's Edge for breakfast, and had the same server as yesterday...a very sweet gal that I'd met when we were at Opryland back in December. At that time, besides working days in the restaurant (and being our server), they also employ her evenings to entertain guests passing through one of the main lobbies....a magnificent pianist and vocalist!!!

After breakfast, we loafed on our balcony for a few hours before checking out, and heading toward home again....stopping here in Mt. Vernon, IL for the night...then the rest of the way home in the morning! :greetings10:

Life is GREAT!!! It's March!!! Spring is only 19 days from today!!! :flowers:

I went in to the office for a half a day, took my tax documents to the accountant at lunch, then treated myself to the rest of the day off(comp time) and came home and snoozed on the couch with the dog. Had the fireplace on and watched one of those Lifetime movies. Life is good. I am so relieved the tax docs are off the dining table.

I painted a whole bunch of baseboard moulding today, and am finishing up the low voltage wiring for the Great family Room Refit of 2010. I suspect I'll run out of things to do well before the cabinets and carpet arrive. :LOL:

I painted today, too. I painted four standard louvred closet doors this afternoon. I intended to get to the baseboard moulding, other doors, and more, but ran out of steam! :LOL: It's a pretty color, though not too different from the neutral color that it is replacing. Maybe slighly greener. It really freshens up the room, though, which was the point as the old paint was getting worn and shabby.

It is POURING rain with strong, gusty winds and it is as dark as night. Kind of fun, exciting weather, though not much daylight available to help with seeing the true colors of what I am painting. But just as I was starting to write this, a strong gust of wind blew open my locked side door!! Bang!! and the rain came in in a torrent. The door is only about 10 feet from me and I ran to it immediately and shut it, but meanwhile the wind blew at least a gallon of water in on the floor. :rolleyes: OK, I had meant to mop the floor anyway.... :angel:

Odd how a little calamity like that is fun when I am retired.

Frank called earlier and said he hasn't done a thing constructive today. I told him that was great, and that he was taking to retirement like a duck to water. :D

My new car is getting a free car wash, courtesy of Mother Nature.

Potluck lunch at work yesterday, then home to watch the Canada-US Olympic Hockey final game (while not a hockey fan, I did think this was my patriotic duty!). Go Canada!

Caught myself singing O Canada in the shower this morning!

:)

Electronically filed taxes this morning, big refunds for both federal and state. Only W2 income last year was in the form of a bonus type payment and they withhold 25% for federal taxes. Tried to get that changed for this years payment but megacorp says no. This was my first year of retirement so moved down a bracket or two which I think is good news, lol. Refund will come in handy for the house we started building that we're trying to complete without a loan since we already have a loan on our current house.

Here's a picture of the house construction, we're just getting started, these are the footers for the detached garage/workshop. They ended up being a bit larger than needed but it's hard to get a precise dig in the shale where we're located in WV. They aren't allowed to backfill to cut down the amount of concrete being used.

This was from work yesterday while I spent the day there watching progress- it's about a 2 hour drive so easy to do in one day. Power is in, water well should be dug in a few weeks. Hopefully, then, I'll be able to set up our travel trailer in style (satellite tv, etc.) and will be able to stay overnight and get some work done. I plan to be working on some walking and riding paths through the property while I'm there to keep an eye on progress or be able to answer builder questions, etc. as needed. Still plenty of snow on the ground so won't get started until it's just a bit more dry.

img_909916_0_e70076255ed1241c0381e3e90b982d10.jpg

Yesterday signed up for a four-week class with DW at the local community college in taking/editing digital photographs. Years ago I had a strong interest in photography but got sidetracked by radio control model airplanes.

It'll be fun to go to the class with DW, we haven't done that for a long time. I told her I'd carry her books for her.:smitten:

Most of that stuff I can pick up fairly easily, she likes the more structured environment of a classroom. And no doubt I'll learn something new anyway.

Reactions: oma
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom