what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking it easy this afternoon, but later I'll be getting ready to go to the police awards banquet tonight. It will take me at least an hour to put on my 'natural' beauty. :LOL:

There will be music and a cash bar at the banquet tonight as well. It will be rather entertaining to see who lets their hair down. :whistle:

Do you think you're gonna win?
I might. The volunteers receive awards as well. I've been there a little over nine years and have received 12 awards. :)

...as far as the hair hangin' down, I'll let someone else win that award. ;)

Had a nice relaxing day today. I got up and took a run, made an omelet and met my cousin for lunch and a movie in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh..."The Last Station"...an excellent film on Tolstoy's later years.

We went to an all day gardening seminar over at the Jr. College that was put on by the U of I Extension and the college Hort Dept. We had a great time meeting up with a bunch of like-minded garden nuts, quite a few of which are old friends! They had coffee, juice, and doughnuts and rolls for breakfast, then 2 sessions (you chose one of three different topics for each session).

Then we broke for lunch.....which they provided! Salad, pizza, cookies, soda pop, and coffee (and leftover doughnut from breakfast)....it was 'all you can eat'.

After lunch we had 2 more sessions (chosen as before). They also had vendors there selling garden related fare, and they also had a raffle for door prizes.

Over all it was a great way to spend a rainy, gray Illinois day!!! :flowers:

P.S. > Spring.....ONE week from today!!! :clap:

Today I took the Venza (and Frank) on an over 300 mile day trip. The weather was absolutely spectacular as we traveled down I-10 to Rayne, Louisiana.

On the way back the traffic suddenly stopped, and it took us three hours to travel 45 miles down I-10 in stop-and-go conditions. During the first 1000 miles my Venza is supposed to experience a variety of speeds so it was probably good for it after driving 200 miles at 70 mph. :LOL: We decided that (being two mellow retirees) we didn't care about the stop-and-go traffic and it was all fun.

It was such fun! We listened to some amazing oldies on Sirius radio and Frank leaned his seat way back and napped for a while on the way home. My Venza is now getting better mileage than expected, 25 mpg for the entire trip instead of the promised 23 mpg highway.

This was the second morning in over four months of retirement when I set my alarm clock, in order to pick up Frank at the promised time.

Shifted gears today with the first taekwondo tournament of the year. First time in five years that I didn't spar, and it feels pretty nice to come home without bruises or worse. OTOH the reason I didn't spar is that I've apparently outlived the local competition.

I've volunteered and judged at over a dozen tournaments, but for some foolhardy reason the dojang decided that today was the day I'd get some sparring referee experience. I started off slow&easy-- my first match was a couple of six-year-olds (think of tiny Michelin men rolling around and bouncing off of each other) who dutifully proceeded to duke it out for two one-minute rounds. All offense, no defense, and they were really getting into it. At the end of the match, the "winner" decorously (and with absolutely no warning) leaned over toward me and projectile vomited. My reflexes saved my [-]shoes[/-] day and my next comment was "Cleanup on ring #1!"

A later match involved two young adults of very junior belts. I'm considered oversized for taekwondo at 5'10" and 180#, but each of these guys had me by at least six inches and 40 pounds. Each believed that they were proficient enough to add head shots to their competition. (Guess what causes 95% of all tournament injuries.) We declined to humor that opinion and it was a good call. Within 30 seconds of the first round, one fighter had conclusively determined that the other had neglected to don his protective athletic cup. Things heated up considerably after that, and I felt like a chimpanzee between two silverback gorillas. But I learned a lot and I'll understand the process much better next tournament.

What exactly is the new business climate?
Z
They ran out of euphemisms and amplifiers for the word "sucks".

It's beginning to dawn on VCs that the 1990s will never come back, and one cheery soul said that his research indicated the median time from startup to exit has gone from as little as 30 months to 9.6 years. "Exit" is usually being acquired by another company rather than IPO, and that length of time is sadly affected by survivor bias. Everyone who's left is a long-term investor now.

Amid all of this doom & gloom, I believe the opportunities & values have hardly ever been better!

Today is ReLED day (i.e. time to change the 10-15 clocks in our house, cars, and bicycles). DW does most of them. She handed me her fancy Waveceptor (25 cents at a garage sale) and asked me to change the time for her. I put it in on a windowsill facing east (to Ft. Collins Colorado), and an hour later it had the right time.

Someday the twice-a-year changing of clocks will be abolished.

dh2b is stretched out on the couch "resting his eyes".
I'm just chillin' in the recliner, getting semi-motivated to change the clocks. I could care less as I have no set appointments until Wed lunch at 1130. The laptop and the digital cable box are displaying the correct time, so...:whistle:
Maybe I'll do the microwave and then think about changing the rest. :blush:
Stay tuned...:cool:

Today is ReLED day (i.e. time to change the 10-15 clocks in our house, cars, and bicycles). DW does most of them. She handed me her fancy Waveceptor (25 cents at a garage sale) and asked me to change the time for her. I put it in on a windowsill facing east (to Ft. Collins Colorado), and an hour later it had the right time.

Someday the twice-a-year changing of clocks will be abolished.

You could have avoided all that by moving to Saskatchewan!

CBC News - Saskatchewan - Time stands still in Saskatchewan

I played my new Sunday afternoon hobby, going to RE open houses. I walk because most of the neighborhoods I am interested in have essentially no parking available. Today I covered 8 miles, much of up an down Queen Ann Hill, and then back home up Capitol Hill.

When I am happy somewhere I get really atached and want to draw a pretty narrow circle around where I am and not plan to leave. But I am glad I went to Queen Ann. The places I looked at are on the lower south slope, and an easy walk to downtown. Some very nice views from up there too. But the main thing I enjoyed was the different social atmosphere. It is less hard-core urban. People are more likely to smile at you on the street.

Also I stopped by Seattle Center which has been one of my favorite spots since first coming to WA. We used to bring our kids for Christmas; and also to the Space Needle, Monorail, the Fun Forest, and the Pacific Science Center. I never remember anything other than a really good time there. There is always something going on every weekend, and sometimes even senior oriented dances and things during the week. It might be a really nice resource for a retired guy who likes to be around people.

Anyway, I went into Center House to get something to eat, and some Irish group was having a cultural festival in honor of St Paddy. Really nice Irish dancing,. The little girls were awesome, but the young women were almost unreal in what they could do.

Ha

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Sunday knowing that Monday was just another day of the week.

Nor do we Arizonans mess with our clocks. All this means to me is that the market will open at 6:30AM our time instead of 7:30AM. I will miss the market open as I will be too busy snoring, but that's OK.

Lemme see.....what did I do today? Ummm.....NOTHING!!! Nada!!! Zilch!!! I goofed off the entire day from the time I got outta bed 'til right this moment....and I'm planning to do the same ALL week!!! I have NOTHING on my docket until next Saturday morning, when I have a gardening class to attend over at the Jr. College....and it's on the 1st day of Spring to boot!!! :flowers:

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Sunday knowing that Monday was just another day of the week.

Mondays can be tricky, it's the day the corner ice cream shop is closed, most museums are also closed but that's when you find the easiest crossword puzzles & the Mexican Restaurant has $5.00 deals. Happy First Monday, Gone4Good!

Got lucky with a on the fly replacement of my laptop - my old one was crashing - and I am taking online courses, so this was a current "necessity" - Toshiba L455-S5009. For $429 I feel I got some bang for my buck. Spent a few hours transferring my files, and downloading misc. software.

We picked up all the PVC pipe & fittings needed for our "greenhouse" - was a miserable rainy weekend, so no messing with assembly yet. Rented "The Hurt Locker" - we were both not impressed with this academy award winning movie. Blind Side was sooooo much better!

Back at the office surfing this board :)

We spent the day watching the Phillie's cream the Pittsburgh Pirates in spring training . It was a gorgeous day in Florida !

I walked down to the C&O Canal to look at the Potomac river flood. Sent the pics to a friend who asked. Now I'm going to do some spackling.

1. Went to work
2. Took tax paperwork to accountant (nice guy who saves me a bundle)
3. Heard from property manager who has taken care of all the details of signing up the first tenant for my latest rental property
4. Refinanced ING 5 year fixed mortgage on another rental property, reducing the rate by 25 basis points to 4.8% for the next 5 years
5. Laundry is ongoing
Life is good.

Did laundry
Did dishes
Got depressed by looking online for retirement communities.

Cleaned out both freezers yesterday. Today start on garden shed, put 40 eggs in the incubator and plant tomato seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom