what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first vacation of the year - always the hardest because I feel so restless.

Carpet cleaners came yesterday. It would have made a perfect before/after picture for their brochure! I love my dog (first dog I've ever owned) but I think she will be the last. The amount of dirt she drags in is incredible!

Played golf yesterday in between sneezing from the pollen. But, we had a good storm with plenty of rain last night so maybe that will give my sinuses some relief. I will know soon when I take the mutt for a walk. Going over to a buddy's house this afternoon to watch the Master's golf tournament on hd tv. We might have a couple of med's too. And dinner and more med's with another buddy tonight at a local bar/grill. :)

A week dedicated to DDS (didn't do sh*t) is blissfully continuing. :cool:
Today's event lineup includes doing laundry folding, surfing a few more FL tourist attraction sites, enduring a nasty cold front moving across the area this afternoon :( with T storms, gusty winds and possible hail, and maybe some leisure reading.
FIRE is good! :D

Batten down the hatches, folks...
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/index_loop.php

Went to my ENT for a follow-up. I have 50% hearing loss in my right ear. Since nothing can be done about the loss, my only option is a hearing aid. I'm not ready for that right now.

Ah but the hearing aid isn't for you it's for your hubbie. He might be ready for you to have one. Does he get frustrated having to repeat himself?

A lot depends on how good of a guesser you are. DW is not good at guessing what I said, so we have a lot of "Do you want a sip?" moments. I'm trying to train her to just say "What?" when she doesn't hear me so we can avoid conversations like this:

Me: Do you want to go the store?
DW: Who moved it?
Me: What??
DW: Did you say he moved the rug off the floor?
Me: No. What rug?

Her hearing aids go in the ears, and no one knows that she has them ('cept you guys).

After Frank and I had lunch together, we went to his house and he spent some time on the phone getting set up with Vanguard and another institution for his 401K rollover to Vanguard. Meanwhile I read a little more on my Kindle which I always tuck in my purse when going out.

We went for a long drive around the city, looking at the rebuilding progress and trying to remember what was there before the storm in places where rebuilding has taken place. ("That's where the grocery was!" "No, it was on the opposite corner!" "Where was the sushi place?" blah blah blah) This city, which we hold so dear, has changed so much and our memories are fading as time goes by. Of course many buildings just sit there, still abandoned after almost five years and in ruins, but others are being demolished and replaced with other structures, or rebuilt. This is better than looking at the moldy ruins, even to nostalgic folks like us.

I wonder if we will ever really move. We love this city, as it used to be anyway. Hurricane season will bear down upon us once again in a couple of months.

After dinner, I watched American Idol for an hour, and then had a nice evening curled up with my Kindle and went to bed early. Another "wasted" day of retirement, that I wouldn't trade for anything. :D

Hmmm, I suppose it's possible...but somehow I doubt it. However I don't think they'll miss my boots...they'll miss my smile and laughter. Yeah...that's it.

Went to my ENT for a follow-up. I have 50% hearing loss in my right ear. Since nothing can be done about the loss, my only option is a hearing aid. I'm not ready for that right now. Besides, it may be beneficial to me to have selective hearing. If someone gets upset, I can just say..."I have hearing loss, don't ya know.." :whistle:
Ooops...how did I miss this post?
Sorry to hear this news :( but so glad it was not worse news. There are some really cool miniature hearing aids out there.
Try to think outside the box. :flowers:

Ah but the hearing aid isn't for you it's for your hubbie. He might be ready for you to have one. Does he get frustrated having to repeat himself?
I did think about that last night. So I asked him...

"Do you feel frustration having to repeat yourself every once in a while?"

DH: "What?"

:D

But, really it's not that bad. I told him if it started to get on his nerves, just tell me. He said he would. I don't care about the fact I may have to get a hearing aid one day. I've been wearing glasses since I was two, so I'm used to devices that improve my senses.

Ooops...how did I miss this post?
Sorry to hear this news :( but so glad it was not worse news. There are some really cool miniature hearing aids out there.
Try to think outside the box. :flowers:
Thanks...but I'm ok. A close friend sent me some great links to hearing aids. :)

Thanks...but I'm ok. A close friend sent me some great links to hearing aids. :)

Sure!! I am truly sorry to hear of your hearing loss, but my guess is that if a hearing aid will help and if you get one, it will seem perfectly natural after a while. I understand that the good ones are pretty expensive but I would categorize that under "medical expenses" and just go for it.

I wonder if we will ever really move. We love this city, as it used to be anyway. Hurricane season will bear down upon us once again in a couple of months.

I've been sensing you have been having some second thoughts about moving to Missouri from some of your recent posts. Not an easy decision to leave a city you obviously love so much...:flowers:

I've been sensing you have been having some second thoughts about moving to Missouri from some of your recent posts. Not an easy decision to leave a city you obviously love so much...:flowers:
It's easy to love New Orleans in the spring, but we'll see how she feels about that sentiment in August...

I am, and it is a tough decision. We'll come to that decision together, though. If Frank still wants to go, I can be happy up there too. On the other hand, we just got back from a trip up there and we only stayed a couple of days. That's odd, because we are both retired and could stay as long as we wanted to. We just got bored and wanted to return.

It's easy to love New Orleans in the spring, but we'll see how she feels about that sentiment in August...

Yeah, by August I am usually feeling pretty frazzled. :eek::blink: Starting June 1st, I keep most of my evacuation stuff in a large, neat pile by my side door with a checklist. I also have to empty my freezer by then, keep lots of cash around, and never let my gas tank get below half full. Of course, none of this keeps "Katrina II" away, but at least I can feel like I am doing something. :rolleyes:

Oh, and then there's the heat and humidity... I actually don't mind the weather (the humidity is good for my skin) but by August I am ready for a change.

I am, and it is a tough decision. We'll come to that decision together, though. If Frank still wants to go, I can be happy up there too. On the other hand, we just got back from a trip up there and we only stayed a couple of days. That's odd, because we are both retired and could stay as long as we wanted to. We just got bored and wanted to return.

You maybe want to try renting a house for a month to really see how you'll feel. If you were bored after 2 days ......

We are renting a house in a small town in Salida for a month real soon. We found it through VRBO.com and it is only $2,100 / month. A month should give you a better idea of how bored you may get.

You maybe want to try renting a house for a month to really see how you'll feel. If you were bored after 2 days ......

We are renting a house in a small town in Salida for a month real soon. We found it through VRBO.com and it is only $2,100 / month. A month should give you a better idea of how bored you may get.

That might be a good idea. Part of the boredom was probably due to the fact that we couldn't do the things that normally entertain us because all of our "stuff" is at home.

Since it was Easter, there was even less to do than usual. We would have enjoyed going to a few real estate open houses, but no such luck on Easter.

Still, Missouri is a lovely state and there are NO flooded, gutted, trashed homes up there. People are nice, the scenery is pretty, and there is almost no crime. Guess we have a few years to consider, with the housing market so crummy lately.

I've been out of commission for at least two months. Moved to a new house. Took advantage of first time home buyer credit. Already got back my $8000. Now if we can only get these boxes unpacked. We had accummulated so much stuff that we had to rent a storage unit for a couple months until everything is squared away. Just got computer up and running today and it's good to be back on and reading all the comments. Hello to all!

Good grief...I'd hate to think of one being so large it's not portable! :eek:

....hmmm...let me think about this a little longer....:angel:
Good grief. That reminded me of a story from my previous life before permanent voluntary unemployment.

Among all the stuff I had to keep a close eye on was the inventories and storage of all the illegal sex toys we would occasionally seize from a dirty book store. Nothing is more embarrassing than to lose a seizure case and then have to explain to the media, and a judge, how you lost $50,000 in rubber phallic devices.

One night I was reading a report that contained such an inventory and I saw something that I thought was a typo. An item that was described as "Kong". I kicked the report back to the squad's sergeant with a note saying "Doesn't he mean 'Dong'?"

The next night the sergeant came into my office holding the report.
"Hey boss, I know you're new here, but you really need to get with it a little. He wrote 'Kong" because that is the model name."

I don't get it. Is it asian in appearance or something. Does it refer to Hong Kong?

"No. Think more along the lines of King Kong."
I always wondered about the market for those things.

I love that story! :D

Among all the stuff I had to keep a close eye on was the inventories and storage of all the illegal sex toys we would occasionally seize from a dirty book store.

After a 'lady of the evening' was arrested one night, one of our officers nearly had a stroke when he saw a protrusion in her pocket. Drawing his weapon, he had the other officer check her pocket.

Ummm, there was no gun, but I think they kinda wished it was.....:angel:

I was told the officer took two showers after all was said and done....

Good grief. That reminded me of a story from my previous life before permanent voluntary unemployment.

. I always wondered about the market for those things.

As a nurse I saw several of those things stuck in places and have to be surgically removed . One was even still vibrating ! It was a little hard to stay professional and not laugh under when all you can hear is the hum of a s-x toy !

As a nurse I saw several of those things stuck in places and have to be surgically removed . One was even still vibrating ! It was a little hard to stay professional and not laugh under when all you can hear is the hum of a s-x toy !

Some years ago an ER nurse in Baton Rouge told me a similar story about a guy :LOL: (apparently it was still vibrating when they got it out). She said that well after the event, whenever she saw the Doctor that she assisted in the removal of the device, either he or she would simply "hum" and that would set them both off laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom