what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much this morning. Then went for a late lunch...BLT & chicken noodle soup.

After that, I decided to get a little more of my Christmas shopping done, and went to the local jeweler's....as usual they didn't have what I was in search of for my Mom. So I stopped back at my house and grabbed a $50 off coupon for Zales, and headed off to the mall about 20 miles away. They had oodles of pretty stuff...as usual. Found exactly what I was looking for....as usual.....and it was 25% off.....plus another 15% if I put it on my Zales CC. Wonderful! Saved $180!!! Also picked up another 'purty' item while I was there. Christmas shopping is now about 3/4 finished....should finish up this weekend or on Monday (NOT Friday)! YEA!!!

Left the mall and went over to visit a tour director friend of mine, and [-]harassed[/-] visited with her and her co-workers, and hashed out a few details of our upcoming trip to San Antonio TX. Then headed back home.

On the way home I thought to myself, "Self, tonight's cheap chicken night at the tavern!" So I called my Mom and told her I'd pick her up and go for cheap chicken.....$4.95 for 1/2 fried chicken (BIG pieces too), fries, and slaw.

Been surfin' the 'net a bit, and playing around on Facebook...almost snack time..then some TV..then off to la-la land. :)

went to the local jeweler's....as usual they didn't have what I was in search of for my Mom. So I stopped back at my house and grabbed a $50 off coupon for Zales, and headed off to the mall about 20 miles away. They had oodles of pretty stuff...as usual. Found exactly what I was looking for....as usual.....and it was 25% off.....plus another 15% if I put it on my Zales CC. Wonderful! Saved $180!!!

What a DEAL!! Pat yourself on the back for that one. Sounds like you really scored.

On the way home I thought to myself, "Self, tonight's cheap chicken night at the tavern!" So I called my Mom and told her I'd pick her up and go for cheap chicken.....$4.95 for 1/2 fried chicken (BIG pieces too), fries, and slaw.

That's not bad, either! :D

Finished replacing the water pump in my 95 minivan. Had replaced it 4 years and 60,000 miles ago with a "lifetime warranty" pump. Got free replacement now, but the horror, the horror of removing it ...

I still remembered all the steps, the parts to remove, the locations of the bolts. Last time, I took the occasion to replace the timing belt also, as that required just one more step. Might as well, since I had to remove all the accessory belts, move the AC and alternator out of the way, remove various brackets, and the crankshaft pulley in order to remove the timing chain housing, which then exposed the timing belt and the water pump.

Wouldn't be hard at all (a 30min job), except you've got about 3 inches to work betwen the engine and the wheel well. Had to alternately reach in from the top, and from the bottom though the wheel well. Took me 8 hrs, done in two days.

Hey, I don't know if this dirty work is common among the "next-door millionaires", but I did this when I was young (and poor), and now when I am ER'ed (and still sufficiently limber). The only time I paid for autowork was when I was busy toiling hard at my megacorp during daytime, then at home at night on my moonlighting consulting work.

People in my white-collar neighborhood are used to seeing me working on my cars on my driveway. Don't know if they think I am cheap or eccentric, or both, but I've got job satisfaction doing this.

Then, I drove my repaired van to make a round of liquor stores to restock my supply. There were long lines of people stocking up on booze. They must be in good spirit as I was, with the market climbing 4 days in a row.

I drove my repaired van to make a round of liquor stores to restock my supply. There were long lines of people stocking up on booze. They must be in good spirit as I was, with the market climbing 4 days in a row.
That or they have members of their family coming to stay for a few days....:p

Finished replacing the water pump in my 95 minivan...replace the timing belt...remove all the accessory belts, move the AC and alternator out of the way, remove various brackets, and the crankshaft pulley in order to remove the timing chain housing, which then exposed the timing belt and the water pump...Took me 8 hrs, done in two days...People in my white-collar neighborhood are used to seeing me working on my cars on my driveway. Don't know if they think I am cheap or eccentric, or both, but I've got job satisfaction doing this.
you sound just like dh2b. he is a self taught mechanic and has saved us a ton of money. i was a minor league auto rack mechanic for 1 summer way back when. i'm relearning and learning new stuff all the time. i fetch the tools and assist him. my brainiac side :rolleyes: helps him figure out the best way to get things out of very small places.
isn't it great to not have to pay $75 per hour for something you can do yourself? i am seeing that the cost of 3rd party parts at the auto store is easily between 1/2 to 1/3 of what the garage or dealership charges for parts. in most cases, the parts carry a lifetime warranty for a few extra bucks. :D
sounds like it was an arduous task but you did it!

you sound just like dh2b. he is a self taught mechanic and has saved us a ton of money. i was a minor league auto rack mechanic for 1 summer way back when. i'm relearning and learning new stuff all the time.

Yeah, I remember reading one of your earlier posts about being a mechanic.

By the way, you came back to this forum after one of my introduction posts about being a "voluntary" grease monkey.

Save money - Be your own grease monkey

bbbamI, I am going to make myself a gin martini now. Have not drunk that in a while. My favorite is Bombay Sapphire, and my bottle was not empty, as I remember.

Umm, hmm...Bombay, an excellent choice. I have a bottle in my cabinet. Cheers! :)

Tanqueray........:) And tonic of course, in a tall glass, with double lime........

Early I watched two terrible football games. Later went to Thanksgiving Dinner with a million little kids, 2 wolfhounds and a Jack Russel Terrier. Lots of fun but I admit that I am glad to be home in my quiet apartment again.

Ha

we watched exactly 10 minutes of Jerry Springer with coffee this AM. i just laughed my head off. then we changed the channel to sci-fi.
i helped dh2b fix the driver's side window on 92 Accord and learned a lot!
i surfed here and there and everywhere.
i made open faced turkey sandwiches on fresh baked bread.
we went in the outdoor jacuzzi. no coy dogs howling tonight. :)

I skipped the Black Friday rampage, and merely went for coffee and breakfast with the gang. Came home and pulled up the parsnips in the garden. Went to the feed store to get some bird seed for the feeders, and stopped for coffee and a cup of cream of broccoli soup. Neighbor gave me a big ol' container of homemade ham 'n' bean soup...which we ate for supper with a salad, and grilled cheese sandwich. Surfin' the 'net...and getting ready for a piece of pumpkin pie with cool whip....lots of cool whip! :D

laundry.
carried some firewood up.
surfed here pretty much all day.
made the fresh bread/turkey/bacon/tomato/cheese open faced broiled thingies. killed the pumpkin pie. :(
listened to some nice pop xmas music. actually heard Burl Ives and Bing Crosby a few times.

Yesterday....laundry, paying the bills, grocery shopping.....and a wedding celebration dinner last night. The bride is a colleague at work. Actual wedding occurred abroad and this was for the local folks. Wonderful evening, fabulous food, elegant venue.....and the groom's sister told us EVERYTHING. Who woulda thought he was such a hell raiser in his misspent youth?

At the police dept now. Have logged 15 incidents including theft, fire, burglary and just logged a missing person report. Had a ticket flung at my face...politely gave it back to the dude and told him to go to the court. All this before 9:15 a.m. :p

At the police dept now. Have logged 15 incidents including theft, fire, burglary and just logged a missing person report. Had a ticket flung at my face...politely gave it back to the dude and told him to go to the court. All this before 9:15 a.m. :p
need an assistant? :bat:

sorted donated toys...the finale was today.
ate lunch with guy friend and local postmistress, a real character.
bought on sale and cooked 5 lbs of chicken tenderloins for freezer
made shake-n-bake chicken for dinner, and nobody helped ;)

Was intending to stop at plumber's building to pay for last week's leak repair. Called first: nobody's home; first day of deer gun season. And secretary/receptionist in attending college most days.

And you do this as a volunteer? :police: Today I got up and knocked out some morning work. Then drove to work and picked up more stuff to keep me busy for the week. Also went to lunch with an old work buddy. Then off to Petco for dog food. Spent the rest of the day just farting off. Now time to knock out a couple of more hours of work. Maybe a little wine too.:)

I went for coffee this morning with the gang, then stopped to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. Came home, and picked out the clothes to pack for our trip to San Antonio. Went for coffee, a BLT, and a cup of soup. Came home and packed the afore mentioned clothes. Surfed the 'net, ate supper, surfing the 'net, getting ready to go for coffee, then come back home for TV, then to bed.

Tomorrow I'll pack: the laptop, power adapters for it and cellphone, snack bag, meds & toiletries, and pick a book or 2 to take. Then goof off the rest of the day! Of course, I'm sure I'll squeeze in a couple of coffee runs! :D

... picked out the clothes to pack for our trip to San Antonio.

Boy, you've been travelin' to support the economy.

Good, because we have not been doing our share this year, due to fiscal (and psychological) limitations :(.

Pushed snow off the drive. Cleaned snow off of one car. Said how much longer can this really be worth it. When should we say enough and get serious about getting out of the winter for good. Thought alot about our plane tickets that are still not valid for 8 weeks. Wished for a good week when in FL again. Took off many layers of winter clothes and put on coat and tie and went to work. Dealt with staff that doesn't think and can't make a decision. Coached them most of the day as to what they might take responsibility on and tried to get them all to think clearly and without help from me. Anyway...a normal day stuck in the winter of the midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom