what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned Lady Madonna on the piano -- there go my jazz creds. What a great song and piano part.

I'll have to work that into a performance at the nursing home.

I've heard a number of jazz covers of Lady Madonna over the years. This oneby Cal Tjader is the first one I found online. Just trying to maintain your creds. :D

MySpace Player

I took a couple of pics of a butterfly on our coneflowers. Whew...I'm exhausted....

Attachments

• DSC01558.jpg
    DSC01558.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01559.jpg
    DSC01559.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 3
Laundry on the line, UPS store, grocery store, made soup...sloth

Nords, I think you have a twin surfing at the Big Island (but on little waves).

Today I tried to ignore the trolls....:p

Oh and this is a pic of DH...he was a sub in a band last night. He's the one with the 'big' bass....:whistle:

Attachments

• band.jpg
    band.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 14
Today I tried to ignore the trolls....:p

Oh and this is a pic of DH...he was a sub in a band last night. He's the one with the 'big' bass....:whistle:

Well isn't he the cutie pie--no wonder you're occasionally giddy :LOL: !

Today I am watching the rain falling. We've had a string of intense thunderstorms move through the area, preventing me from boat launching. Tuesday is BL (boat launch) day. I hope.

Yesterday, I volunteered at a new private veterans' club I joined. I cooked at the grill and did cleanup duty. I got a heck of a workout wiping down picnic tables. Hopefully it will offset the beers I drank. :LOL:
The members are all ages, and very welcoming to the new kid here. :D There is no better way to get involved in a new group than to help out.

I think sometime today I will sort out my overstuffed file cabinet. Or read. Or...do whatever floats my boat on a rainy day. :whistle:

Its 83 degrees, and it must be 80% humidity, and we are moving.

Argh!

Having previously downsized, it is a relatively easy move, but we decided to do all of it except the heavy furniture ourselves. We are paying double rent for this month and slowly moving stuff over to the new place. I know, for that money we could have hired the whole thing done, but I have had horrible experiences with professional movers and prefer to do as much as I can myself.

Even after downsizing there is an amazing amount of stuff that we don't need any more. Like, for example, a big collection of tools that were great for a homeowner and while cruising on a sailboat, but about as useful as teats on a boar hog for an apartment dweller.

I'll be sure to tell him of your compliment. But I'll remind him he still has to do some of the housework....:D

All that and he does housework too? I'm impressed! :D
Its 83 degrees, and it must be 80% humidity, and we are moving.

Argh!

My sympathies! I would suggest frequent breaks for cool beverages, cool showers, and sitting under the A/C vent... safety first. Weather like this is why we Southerners sometimes seem "lazy" and seem to do things slowly by northern standards.

Went to a photovoltaic open house.

A local solar company hosts them every week. They park a rep in the homeowner's driveway for a few hours with a table, laptop, and handouts, giving tours of the hardware and showing all the details. It's sort of like the Porsche dealer bringing a few cars to your neighborhood for static displays and a test drive.

As we chatted with the company rep, he mentioned that the homeowners were a nuclear engineer and his wife. I said "Hunh, that's odd, around here that usually means he's a Navy submariner." A few minutes later they wandered out and sure enough, it turns out he's USNA '99, working at COMSUBPAC, and even used to have a couple of my old billets (of course about 15-20 years later). We were all a bit weirded out by the coincidence but we ended up talking story for over an hour.

Maybe it's not weird after all... I wonder what the correlation is between "submarine nuclear engineer" and "solar geek".

Their PV panels are about twice the power density as ours, including nearly 19% efficiency compared to our 13%. Their mounting racks and roof flashings are orders of magnitude beyond what we did five years ago. Our array has almost paid for itself and will keep chugging along for a couple more decades, but now it's looking like a Commodore 64 alongside a Macbook.

We're still considering buying a used EV or plug-in hybrid in 4-5 years and recharging it from a PV system. We'd need to add another 3-4 kilowatts to our current 3.3 KW system, and the new panels would probably be the roof of a pergola on the south side of the house. (Shading the south wall as well as making electricity.) These newer panels mean that the pergola doesn't need to be very big after all. But if the pergola idea doesn't work out then we could just as easily replace the old panels and add a second inverter. Best of all, it looks more clear than ever that we'd be able to handle it DIY.

Last edited:
Voted in the primaries. Engaged in madness with software developers (the circus is in town...). Awarded another evil software patent, two years after retirement. There are several more still in the pipeline...

Voted in the primaries. Engaged in madness with software developers (the circus is in town...). Awarded another evil software patent, two years after retirement. There are several more still in the pipeline...
Congrats on getting through that ballot... Oh and on the patents :cool: I'll be dropping off the absentee ballot on the way to the free movie. We won tickets to a pre-opening screening of Ondine.

Congrats on getting through that ballot... Oh and on the patents :cool: I'll be dropping off the absentee ballot on the way to the free movie. We won tickets to a pre-opening screening of Ondine.

California ballots are big on initiatives. Folks, including businesses, write up proposed amendments for the state constitution, and generally hire one of the initiative support firms to collect signatures to qualify the initiative for the ballot. This year is a bit more egregious than usual. Cheaper than campaign contributions, and much more flexible than simple pork, I suppose.

I think I'll put one together to have the taxpayers buy me a nice big inflation adjusted SPIA. We'll call it "The Taxpayers Right to Financial Freedom Act." :whistle:

Not sure I'd use "John Denver" and "plane" in the same sentence...
Yes, my DW/me were out to Monterey Bay a week after his fatal crash. However I could not find a UTube on PPM's version :angel:

But we've traveled so much over many years, it's not a concern of ours. It's not what you may lose, but what you gain by traveling the world...

I applied for several open positions. Oh yeah, and did an infinitesimal amount of actual work as well.

I celebrated my 62nd birthday today, with Frank. At my favorite restaurant, I ordered the Chicken Florentine Special. This dish was sky high in calories but utterly unbelievable and completely worth it. We had a terrific afternoon together and just a cup of soup and small green salad for dinner after that lunch. Now that I am 62, I am officially old enough to be eligible for SS. I haven't claimed it yet, but it's kind of neat to know that I could at any time if I want to.

:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom