what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting in front of our woodstove-type fireplace. Had a fire this morning, and the fan is still pumping out the heat. 52 degrees outside this morning.

Hrmph. Coastal living.
Life_-coastalhair-z.jpg

Meanwhile, 30 miles inland we just hit 101. The temperature, not the highway.

Three to five at White Plains. My Army surfing buddy has his relief on base and in his office, so we're going back out again on Tuesday. He only has about three-four weeks of no-wetsuit surfing left.

Our kid finished her two weeks in Italy with a high-school friend (whose family is now stationed in Naples). Two 17-year-old girls on a base full of sailors apparently managed to keep the trouble reports from making it halfway across the world back home... so far. Now she's spending two more weeks "off the grid" at a summer camp for a Russian-language immersion program.

It's how she wanted to spend her summer vacation. And the fun grinds to a halt in just six more weeks when NROTC begins their indoc!

This empty-nester stuff is even better than I ever thought it could be.

Yesterday I awakened to a phone call from Frank, asking for assistance since his car battery was dead. I drove over there, we jumped his battery, and I followed him to Sears where he was given a new one. He paid nothing since it was within the warranty period. How nice to begin hurricane season with a new battery. Then lunch, and a Sunday drive.

I recently posted a photo of the stunningly beautiful Nieuschwanstein castle in the "Houses" thread, and that brought to mind a computer game that I haven't played for years - - "Gabriel Knight, The Beast Within". Part of this game takes place within the Nieuschwanstein castle, and includes photography of the inside and of views from the castle as one steers one's character through the castle as part of the game tasks.

So, last night I installed and played this old game on my present computer. I was pleased to see that it still runs on modern computers, and in Vista no less (though I had to lower the screen resolution to the minimum). The game is essentially a history lesson on Ludwig II with a little fantasy involving werewolves thrown in. The game itself is [-]a little[/-] pretty lame, but the history is interesting. I doubt I'll play it again.

Today I'm at w*rk... :yuk:

Yesterday, I broke down (heh) and ordered a power amp for my home studio. I had been using an old stereo, but every knob and switch on it was noisy and intermittent. I guess I got my moneys worth after 24 years...

Samson Servo 200 | Sweetwater.com

Also ordered some rails, to build my own rackmount cabinet, for the new amp and my processor.

Studio has been out-of-order for months, due to the remodel. Looking forward to making some muzak again.

I'm still w*rking but on Saturday I got a ripping pain in my lower back. Sunday was awful, I could hardly walk. Went to doctor on Monday and he reassured me that I hadn't slipped a disc ("2/3 of people with slipped discs recover in six months or less", said The Intarwebs :() but just had acute lumbago. He gave me 4 days off work, through Thursday - pretty sweet since I have vacation booked for all of next week. He also prescribed me 300mg/day of ketoprofen, 3g/day of acetaminophen, and 200mg/day of tetrazapam, one of whose brand names is the superb "Spasmorelax". This last drug is, of course, a cousin of Valium, so I had a nice nap yesterday afternoon before the World Cup came on TV.

So today, Tuesday, I'm a little more flexible - defined as, when I walk, the heel of the foot I'm moving actually passes the toes of the other - and I guess I'm getting a glimpse of life after FIRE, although I hope my back doesn't hurt like this until I'm too old to care. Got up at 0930, check my e-mail, did a little programming, managed some pot and pan washing and squatted down to empty the dishwasher and put a load of laundry on. Then totter 200 yards to my local restaurant for today's special: tomato with mozzarella and basil, then sauté de porc à la provençale with ratatouille and French fries. $15 including wine, water, tax, and tip. By the time you read this, I will probably have had another nap and watched some more soccer. And maybe my hosting company will have found out why my 2GB database takes up 6GB of disk space. But I will *not* have connected to work to look at my e-mails. :D

Oh, and to really cheer up those of you who live with the 37th best health system in the world: #37 the doctor's visit cost $38 and the medicines cost $18. But I do have a $1.25 co-pay on that, so I skipped coffee at lunch. :)

Went to a Spanish language play class with my granddaughter and her nanny. I was really fun, but a little overwhelming for la nieta. Glad nanny was along. Went out for espresso and a sweet for the ladies afterward.

Ha

Watered my vegetables early; it's supposed to be high 90s today. Did 3 quick errands and got home by 10:30. I'm looking at the list of things I should do today....not sure if I'm going to tackle them or not. I think I'll read my nee library book instead.

Watching a much needed rainpour down.

A/C man and landlord showed up at 8AM to fix the condensation dripping into the hall. Fourth time in as many weeks.

An entirely separate problem in another unit required turning off the water supply to the whole complex. Waiting for it to be turned back on.

Oh, the pleasures of old buildings.

Woke up early this a.m. to the sound of the phone ringing. My mom and dad's car caught on fire last night....some type of electrical mishap. Good news is, they were home and the car was parked where there was no damage elsewhere. Bad news is...I have to buy them another car. Thank heavens I planned for the 'OH CRAP" times in my budget...:p

...Got up at 0930, check my e-mail, did a little programming, managed some pot and pan washing and squatted down to empty the dishwasher and put a load of laundry on. Then totter 200 yards to my local restaurant for today's special: tomato with mozzarella and basil, then sauté de porc à la provençale with ratatouille and French fries. $15 including wine, water, tax, and tip. By the time you read this, I will probably have had another nap and watched some more soccer. And maybe my hosting company will have found out why my 2GB database takes up 6GB of disk space. But I will *not* have connected to work to look at my e-mails. :D

Oh, and to really cheer up those of you who live with the 37th best health system in the world: #37 the doctor's visit cost $38 and the medicines cost $18. But I do have a $1.25 co-pay on that, so I skipped coffee at lunch. :)

LOVE the video! I wanna live in France. All that, and good food. :D
Sorry about the lumbago, though!

Woke up early this a.m. to the sound of the phone ringing. My mom and dad's car caught on fire last night....some type of electrical mishap. Good news is, they were home and the car was parked where there was no damage elsewhere. Bad news is...I have to buy them another car. Thank heavens I planned for the 'OH CRAP" times in my budget...:p

Maybe not , My car caught fire last year . It was the ignition . Toyota cleaned it and replaced the ignition and it's fine .

I am still at w**k through Friday... and actually had a system go down today so it's been crazier than expected...

Then next week my S.O.'s mother is moving into a senior living apartment. Wheeeee. :D

Maybe not , My car caught fire last year . It was the ignition . Toyota cleaned it and replaced the ignition and it's fine .
From what dad told me, the fire marshall said it started around the battery. The car caught on fire in the wee hours of the morning and burned for a while...it's pretty much a total loss from what dad tells me. The car was 12 years old and they did not have full coverage.

Oh well...it's only money....gotta take care of mom and dad... :)

From what dad told me, the fire marshall said it started around the battery. The car caught on fire in the wee hours of the morning and burned for a while...it's pretty much a total loss from what dad tells me. The car was 12 years old and they did not have full coverage.

Oh well...it's only money....gotta take care of mom and dad... :)

puma.jpg

Hrmph. Coastal living.
Life_-coastalhair-z.jpg

Meanwhile, 30 miles inland we just hit 101. The temperature, not the highway.

It's cold here too. The heat was finally turned off since we had a few mild days, but it is unpleasantly cold in my apt now. I am OK with this, since there is usually plenty of heat, but it is cold.

Yesterday it was cool but sunny. I walked up to the park to catch a few rays, but I almost got blown off the hillside by the wind coming off the bay. Stuck it out anyway.

Ha

Spent today painting trim for our new house...should be moving in July - if it passes final.:whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 2
Ran 3 miles, lifted wts, sit-ups, swam laps, picked up friend's mail, drove his car for him while he was away, shopped, went to the bank and Walmart, bought mulch, watched the Tampa Rays game vs. the Bosox. Go Rays. Kind of a boring day. One of the few since being retired. It has been nearly 1 year as of 1 July.

I did the quickie monuments tour of DC for my neice & her family. They were on their way to TX to start again. This economy is tough. Had a great time with them despite the heat. We get a couple days break from the heat wavve now. And bonus, my house nicely clean sice their arrival spurred me on.

It's cold here too. The heat was finally turned off since we had a few mild days, but it is unpleasantly cold in my apt now. I am OK with this, since there is usually plenty of heat, but it is cold.

Yesterday it was cool but sunny. I walked up to the park to catch a few rays, but I almost got blown off the hillside by the wind coming off the bay. Stuck it out anyway.

Ha

Man, what I would give for some of that cool weather. Didn't do much today. Just took the mutt on an early morning walk and ran some errands this afternoon. Went to a Mexican restaurant tonight with a couple of buddies. So.........easy day, but just the way I like it. Except for losing money in the stock market.:(

The last couple of days it has been sunny and dry and about 70 degrees, perfect as far as I'm concerned. Heading out today on another road trip to visit relatives.

Dawn patrol. Two-to-four, occasional six.

Usually it's done by the working class or those who live within a very short distance of the break. In this case my Army buddy figured it'd be a good way to start his day. Rush-hour traffic cooperated with the brief shot I had to make on the "interstate" but otherwise the back roads were almost clear.

As soon as we got into the water a goby jumped out in front of our boards. Scared the crap out of me until I remembered that sharks don't like the sandy shallows at White Plains. I don't know what the fish was spooked about. Otherwise the weather and the surf was great, I'm getting comfortable going backside, and a couple waves made me look better than I could ever hope to be.

Surfing with a workin' guy is a good reminder of why I'm ER'd. In the first place, he was able to immediately tell me that the federal holiday is next Monday, not this Friday-- I wasn't sure, and that can really screw up a trip to the beach this time of year. My buddy transfers in about a month, his relief is settling in nicely so there's not much left to do, and it's beginning to show in his attitude. His general decreed today that next week the entire staff would turn out at the airport (in the middle of rush hour) to greet the newly-arriving relieving commanding general and make him "feel welcome"... my buddy opined that could be better accomplished using the duty officer and a couple six-packs.

He was invited not to attend if he couldn't get with the group attitude. Mentally he's so short that he's walking under closed doors without ducking...

It felt kinda weird to be paddling back in about the time that I usually pull into the parking lot. However the rest of the day has been wide open for surfing the Internet and catching up on creative writing.

Fixed the clogged defroster drain on the fridge ( think it was clogged). I'm disappointed that last time I did this, a few years ago, I didn't write myself a note. It would have saved some dismantling.

Today's note:

Clogged Freezer Drain

2010/06/30
If water appears below the vegetable compartment in the refrigerator, it probably means that the defrost drain is clogged.

Slide the fridge out. The drainpipe comes out of the middle of the back, 70% of the way to the top. Unscrew it and check/clear any clog.

You do not need to access anything from the inside of the fridge or freezer.​

Ate lunch at Taste of Chicago. Steak sandwich, prime rib quesadillas, and a hot dog - perfect weight watching lunch. Came home and transferred my 1st beer batch to the secondary fermenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom