what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• swampcooler.gif
    swampcooler.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 135
Nothing gets sneaked past you, does it? :LOL: I was more specific in my original version of that post, but "cleaned it up" by edit since I didn't want to shock anybody. Yes, I was painting au naturale... it's easier that way. :whistle:
It also makes it a lot easier to clean up the... eh, never mind.

Had a meeting with my boss (former co pres) and current pres. It seems that they have figured out that the co does not make enough $ from me in esr. So they are laying off some key people that will result in an increase in my workload. I have to figure out a way around this.

Had a meeting with my boss (former co pres) and current pres. It seems that they have figured out that the co does not make enough $ from me in esr. So they are laying off some key people that will result in an increase in my workload. I have to figure out a way around this.

Remove the "s". :cool:

We went to the $1.50 movie house to see "Get me to the Geek " Stupidly funny and worth a $1.50 .We then went to Happy Hour and had a few appetizers .

Another edition of teen drama & angst. Mercifully the last few episodes have been few & far between.

You parents will recognize how teens passively resist your [-]orders mandates advice pleas[/-] suggestions that they do something, even if it's for their own benefit.

In our kid's case it's been "getting your NROTC hairstyle". That means she either had to learn how to braid/bun her hair or get it cut to regs (collar length). This intermittent conversation has been taking place since January. Keep in mind that this is not our problem-- she could either figure out her hairstyle in the comfort & support of her own home or show up as is and get it whacked off at the shop. Spouse and I stopped talking about it a couple months ago.

Our kid's been growing her hair out for most of the last two years and it was halfway down her back (which in Hawaii is not unusual). She never really settled on a braid/bun style, and frankly that's not the first thing you want to do in the morning before PT muster. But today it dawned on her that there's just 11 days until she starts NROTC indoc, so she finally made herself a haircut appointment. I guess that's a decision by default.

She came back with a lovely hairstyle, but unfortunately it was still three inches below her collar. She "knew" what she was supposed to do but let the stylist talk her into something too short to braid and requiring about a pound of hairpins plus a quart of gel. Back to the shop, armed with the pictures from uniform regs. This time she came back in spec.

She said she realizes she's had a lot of her self-image wrapped up in her hairstyle, so today she feels as if she's lost two-thirds of her personality. (Golly, wait until she tries on those cool digital blue camouflage uniforms.) She understands the process she's going through but I don't think she expected to experience such an emotional impact. I guess it's good that she's getting over it now.

I think this will all eventually work out (again that's not my problem) but there's gonna be some "tremendous personal growth" and "character building" before she "reaches her full potential". It'll be interesting to see how she feels about the military a month from now.

I'm just now realizing that most of her conversations about joining the Navy have been about "how she'll look doing all those cool things" instead of "doing all those cool things." As a guy, I was never focused on the former-- only the latter-- and apparently I've been oblivious. I'm going to have to tell her what the Marines do to their new recruits, including their latest hairstyles. Maybe that'll make her feel a lot better about NROTC. Maybe I should just stop while I'm behind.

I'm not gonna miss parenting one bit. It does end when you send them off to college, right?

Hey, I got my hair cut about 3" too short a couple of weeks ago at Supercuts. :eek: You never know what you will get there.

Anyway, it can be a little unnerving to see your hair shorter than you have ever seen it before. She'll get used to it. You did when you got your first military haircut, right? :)

i finally got my van furnished and packed for my trip. All except the food & toiletries. what a lot of work that was. filled my water tank & put air in my tires. Almost ready to go. I'm spending my first night in it tonight in my driveway with a cat so she gets use

I'm not gonna miss parenting one bit. It does end when you send them off to college, right?

In your dreams...the gift that keeps on giving.:flowers:

Your daughter is giving you a lesson into the female psyche right now. Interesting and very enjoyable post since last month my daughter began thinking about joining the Army.:whistle:

"A Young Girl Reading" by Jean-Honore Fragonard. One of my favourite paintings. As a confirmed bookworm, I had a print of this painting in my childhood bedroom. Good memories!

One of my favorites too! A large print was also in my aunt's living room for decades, another hangs in our NY house. When I started portraiture, this was one choice in the list of "class mandatories". No brainer! I picked it right away. Lots of good memories.

Uh, nope. DD sat on the deposit refund check from her former landlord for 2 months...waited until her last day in the states and decided she wanted to go shopping more than she wanted to get that money in the bank...we had to have some words...heated words.

DS has over drafted his acct 3 times in past 3-4 months, even though I have been warning him about it (he wasn't out of money, just used the wrong acct). This time the bank dinged him 34 bucks. Maybe he'll get the picture now that the bank is making itself clear...

Love'm dearly, but...

Kids...wish I had a dozen...:nonono:

R

I think this will all eventually work out (again that's not my problem) but there's gonna be some "tremendous personal growth" and "character building" before she "reaches her full potential". It'll be interesting to see how she feels about the military a month from now.

:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, could not help it, brought back memories of basic training, and lack of ability to understand English to a great extent.

Especially the caring and consideration by Drill Instructors.:ROFLMAO:

Had my hair cut army-style a couple of weeks ago (Before a price increase!). Now I am getting compliments about lack of gray hair, no bald spots, etc. It is amazing what that long hair could have been hiding?

i finally got my van furnished and packed for my trip. All except the food & toiletries. what a lot of work that was. filled my water tank & put air in my tires. Almost ready to go. I'm spending my first night in it tonight in my driveway with a cat so she gets use
Kind of reminds me of when I used to pitch a tent in the back garden as a kid and camp out for the night. Going indoors in the morning for breakfast cooked by Mum was the best part!

Sounds fun - enjoy it and let us know how your kitty adjusts.

Do I need to tell you what you already know - this isn't really about a hairstyle?
Anyway, it can be a little unnerving to see your hair shorter than you have ever seen it before. She'll get used to it. You did when you got your first military haircut, right? :)
I thought these parental insights would tail off after 17 years...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DD just moved from the upper west side to midtown in Manhattan. (With roommates, living the finest 'grad students in Manhattan' lifestyle.) Much drama over the phone and via e-mail.

I don't think it ever ends.

Retirement.

Today I sat here at my pc for hours trying to find out if I can get more money from Social Security as I took it when I was not working and now I am working again. I need more money and I didn't have money to save when I was young as I was raising two children. I know that is not a good excuse but I feel like I will be losing my house and everything. I am 67 and I am still working part time but I would like to retire. What do I do?

Today I sat here at my pc for hours trying to find out if I can get more money from Social Security as I took it when I was not working and now I am working again. I need more money and I didn't have money to save when I was young as I was raising two children. I know that is not a good excuse but I feel like I will be losing my house and everything. I am 67 and I am still working part time but I would like to retire. What do I do?

There are some smart one's here who can give you some advice but they probably need more info. You might want to post under the Hi I am.... forum as you will get more responses. Introduce yourself and give more details. Good luck.

Today has been rather slow. I was getting ready to go to the golf course but as I reached under the bed for my tennis shoes, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder. No golf. But not feeling very well anyway as I am just completing taking some antibiotics for a lung infection. So still a little zapped. Am I getting old or what?:(

I have been having internet problems so got AT&T out here this morning and they finally fixed my dsl problems. But in the process, the guy pulled on my tv cable line so now that's messed up. Called Comcast and they will be here Tuesday. Screwed up cable until then. :blink:

I'm sorry you're feeling poopy Dawg...:(

I got out of bed early this morning as my dream had me going to a job interview. :eek: I didn't want that dream to continue.

I turned in my Acura TL today the lease is over, so I save 400/month. Best/most fun car I ever owned, anyone want to see a grown/old man cry.
Now having a VO Manhatten.
Old Mike

In my continuing quest to downsize, I listed 3 items on the internet this morning and within an hour had 2 offers for one of them. Sure beats the old days of using the classifieds!

Who do you list your items with?
If you don't mind me asking?
Steve

Another edition of teen drama & angst. Mercifully the last few episodes have been few & far between.

You parents will recognize how teens passively resist your [-]orders mandates advice pleas[/-] suggestions that they do something, even if it's for their own benefit.

In our kid's case it's been "getting your NROTC hairstyle". That means she either had to learn how to braid/bun her hair or get it cut to regs (collar length). This intermittent conversation has been taking place since January. Keep in mind that this is not our problem-- she could either figure out her hairstyle in the comfort & support of her own home or show up as is and get it whacked off at the shop. Spouse and I stopped talking about it a couple months ago.

Our kid's been growing her hair out for most of the last two years and it was halfway down her back (which in Hawaii is not unusual). She never really settled on a braid/bun style, and frankly that's not the first thing you want to do in the morning before PT muster. But today it dawned on her that there's just 11 days until she starts NROTC indoc, so she finally made herself a haircut appointment. I guess that's a decision by default.

She came back with a lovely hairstyle, but unfortunately it was still three inches below her collar. She "knew" what she was supposed to do but let the stylist talk her into something too short to braid and requiring about a pound of hairpins plus a quart of gel. Back to the shop, armed with the pictures from uniform regs. This time she came back in spec.

She said she realizes she's had a lot of her self-image wrapped up in her hairstyle, so today she feels as if she's lost two-thirds of her personality. (Golly, wait until she tries on those cool digital blue camouflage uniforms.) She understands the process she's going through but I don't think she expected to experience such an emotional impact. I guess it's good that she's getting over it now.

I'm just now realizing that most of her conversations about joining the Navy have been about "how she'll look doing all those cool things" instead of "doing all those cool things." As a guy, I was never focused on the former-- only the latter-- and apparently I've been oblivious. I'm going to have to tell her what the Marines do to their new recruits, including their latest hairstyles. Maybe that'll make her feel a lot better about NROTC. Maybe I should just stop while I'm behind.

I could barely wait to leave & only came back occasionally. My senior college year, parents moved cross country.

I see people here suffering & crying about the kids leaving. I & parents could hardly wait for me to leave.

When younger sister didn't seem interesting in leaving, Father invited over the Navy recruiter. Apparently sister did the same thing with her son (carreer Marine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom