what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, I had SO much fun! What a blast to take on another personna! I actually WILL post some pics! First the black nail polish (note the skull ring) and then the back of our dance t's we had made up. This was so fun...even though I was super nervous, the whole performance went off great. I didn't end up flat on my face, so it was a success! :ROFLMAO:
Ahhh...I just KNEW you would do a wonderful job and have fun! I imagine the fellows on this forum enjoy the pics but would love to see the video. :angel:.....>:D

OMG, I had SO much fun! What a blast to take on another personna! I actually WILL post some pics! First the black nail polish (note the skull ring) and then the back of our dance t's we had made up. This was so fun...even though I was super nervous, the whole performance went off great. I didn't end up flat on my face, so it was a success! :ROFLMAO:

What fun ! I want to be your age again for a week or two !:)

What fun ! I want to be your age again for a week or two !:)

You know, when I was getting all nervous about performing I thought to myself..."geesh, the opportunity to shake it in front of a crowd at my age is pretty rare...you better just enjoy the moment girl!" So I did! (and I little drink beforehand didn't hurt either...:cool:)

I don't know how much longer I can dance like this, but I'm trying to enjoy every minute as much as possible!

Thank you!

About to head out in a few minutes...woo-hoo!
I went with Sugah Slamma...I've been transformed into a punk rock chick, even wearing black nail polish! :cool:

Could you post a video of the performance? It would be fun to see!

Ha

We have a superstar on this forum by the name of Sugah Slamma! :clap:

Lessee...what did I do today. I ran numerous errands for DH as his is leaving on his trip on Wednesday. His partner in crime will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Methinks I'll be invisible tomorrow except at suppertime..:blink:

Here are two snippets of the performance...the music isn't very loud (we tried to get them to turn it up...). There were about 900 people at the event, but you can't tell the size of the crowd from the videos.

Thanks Sugah Slamma, you all are great! Nice sassy routine, what with bumps and fanny slaps and all... Pretty demanding too!

Ha

We just got back from an invite to do a tour of Wrigley Field complements of Fidelity. It was a really great time, I was able to bring the family and my son,11, really, really enjoyed it. They had all you can eat ballpark food and drinks (alcohol included). You could field pop flys in left field, hit in the batting cage, played an informal 16" and 12" softball home run contest. It also included a tour of the things you can't normally do, press box, both locker rooms and both dugouts. Free bags of goodies too, cubs hat, baseball, pencils,paper. Ron Santo was also present to take pictures with and we all got our baseballs signed. My son was happier doing this than going to a baseball game...and he loves baseball! I can tell you my body is aching from playing softball, haven't done this on a regular basis for about 10 years now. I think the heat index was hovering in the mid 90's with stifling humidity at night time.

My daughter and I just got back yesterday from Chicago after spending a VERY HOT AND HUMID few days there. We had a blast. Spent most of Sunday at the Air and Water Show. Watched Sunday's opening from the Hancock building's 94th floor observatory then went down and joined the crowd...and what a crowd!:D

I've had my city fix for awhile, but I really want to go back, maybe by train the next time.

I've been pretty busy today.

Today's highlight was my dental appointment. Uhhh, not the cleaning and x-rays, but the flavor of the goo they use when they polish my teeth. They now have chocolate flavored goo. :D

I was a rebel and tried it...it tasted pretty darn good.

I asked if they thought bacon flavored goo would be available at some point...I got a blank stare. :blink:

:LOL:

Lemme catch up. It's been a busy houseguest weekend.

Saturday:
- Surfing all morning. My nephew the Army Ranger and his girlfriend (an Army field medical asst) confirmed that they're both goofy-footed. He's standing up on almost every ride, she's starting to carve.
- Home show at the convention center all afternoon. Photovoltaic microinverters are really starting to take off, which means that 3000-watt inverter prices should be crashing down any day now. Spouse is starting to get interested in building that PV-roofed pergola sooner rather than later. We also noted that for the first time in five years, a huge number of construction companies are now very interested in remodeling our familyroom (after our bunny goes to his great reward). But both projects are still probably 3-4 years away. At the display of a window-supply store we met a neighbor who's been laid off for several months-- he now has a good sales job with them.
- Evening stroll through Waikiki's International Marketplace (Hawaiian for "kitsch" and "schlock") and dinner.

Sunday:
- Morning grocery shopping (food goes very fast with houseguests).
- Afternoon polo at Mokuleia, where rumor is that there were actually two separate matches. I'm not sure what teams were playing (I think the scores were 3-2 & 7-5) but there sure was a lot of drinking & talk story and much fascinating people-watching. Between games, Dillingham Airfield's sport jumpers put on a spectacular show of diving toward the ground as fast as possible and then pulling out at the last moment. (Good thing they were using parachutes, although a couple of jumpers must be pretty bruised up.) After the polo matches, for a $2500 prize, the jumpers competed for best freestyle jump. The winner swooped down to the field to land on the bed of a pickup truck that was racing across the turf at about 20 MPH. Timing was of the essence... but for just $2500?!?
- The polo match was originally scheduled to be Army vs Navy, so many of our houseguest's classmates had made long-term plans to attend. There were a dozen or so junior officers milling around in a mini [-]mutual therapy bitch session[/-] reunion with slabs of BBQ and gallons of frosty beverages. We left around 6 PM but the post-polo parties were just building up a head of steam.

Monday: My nephew and his GF spent the day at Hanauma Bay, Sandy's, and a Waikiki luau. Us geezers took it easy catching up around the house.

Tuesday: Surfing all morning. Now both of them are carving. It occurs to me that the next time they visit the islands it'll be cheaper to buy a couple of 10'0" longboards from Craigslist instead of renting from the surf shack. Errands and final Hawaii-gift shopping that afternoon.

Today is their last day. South shore is 3-5 building to eight...

Waimea Valley's parking lot was disgustingly flat and full of cars.

But I'll test a roll-start some quiet weekday morning when the neighborhood isn't full of traffic.

Went to Farmers' Market: fruit and vegetables and meat. Bought a Polish sausage on a bun with sauerkraut from the hot food stand, haven't had something like that in years.

Went to Farmers' Market: fruit and vegetables and meat. Bought a Polish sausage on a bun with sauerkraut from the hot food stand, haven't had something like that in years.

I have had several of these this year at our local market on Saturday. The also have a great breakfast sandwich of pea meal bacon and egg.

Yesterday...played 3 games of intense chess with my favorite Bostonian. :D
He conceded the first 2 games to me >:D, then slammed me with a quick checkmate in the 3rd game. Curses...foiled again. :rant:
Today... I left the board home and met him for a nice afternoon with all the trimmings. :whistle:

Life is good. :flowers:

Sunbathing. It has been hot and sunny for almost a week, so I am taking advantage of that to top up my Vit D. Today was much cooler and cloudy till 12:30 or so, but then clouds burned off and I went out. While at the park I read more of the Swedroe book on bonds. I think this is a very good book, and everything a person needs to understand the space pretty well. Not as much as I would like on TIPS however.

I think I'll cross post this part to the What Have You Read Thread.

Ha

Let's see, what did I do today:

1) I pull my (almost) brand new car too far into the garage and scratched the heck out of my front fender. Toyota says $774 to repair it. :(

2) I finally installed the new sound card on my computer. It looks like the driver corrupted a bunch of very important files including Quicken's master file and all Quicken backup files. The external backup drives synced to the corrupted files before I realized what was happening. The most recent intact backup file (stored on a separate thumb drive) dates from 12/19/2009. That's 8 months worth of data lost.:(

The good news: now that I am FIREd I have all the time in the world to deal with this kind of cr@p...:)

Yesterday...played 3 games of intense chess with my favorite Bostonian. :D
It reads like there are a few, or at least one other Bostonian who are not in favor. :confused: Oh, never mind. NMB. :)

I pull my (almost) brand new car too far into the garage and scratched the heck out of my front fender. Toyota says $774 to repair it. :(
If the bumper cover is not torn and just the surface paint got scratched, seems to me a 3rd party should be able to patch and paint that plastic part for much less than $774.

Took my mom to the doc this afternoon for routine check up. What a frustrating experience. First, she's 92 years old and it's tough for her to sit up in a hard chair for a long time. Well after an hour of sitting she is ready to go home. I said let's give it 10 more minutes and sure enough, she get's called. Thirty more minutes in another room and finally a nurse comes in and ask a few questions and takes her blood pressure. Doc finally comes in for the 3 minute session and she's off for blood work. So after 2 hours and 20 minutes we leave. I know doctors are important and busy, but it pisses me off that someone her age has to go through a long drawn out wait like this. It's been over a year since she has seen a doc and I had to beg her to go, but I'm sure this will end it for her. And I can't say I blame her.

Same as above for today. Took another 90 minutes to see the damn doctor. I showed my a$$ to the doc today, but I don't care. Told her my mom does not need to be sitting around this long to see anyone. She apologized and acted like it was an unusual day, but I pointed out the same thing happened 2 weeks ago. Hell, today there were only a couple of people in the waiting room when we got there. Told my mom this was it, moving on to another doc.

Oh well.......thank god my frig is stocked with meds.:)

Got up at 6 a.m. to fix breakfast for DH and his buddy. They were going to leave at 7 on their cross-country motorcycle adventure. It looked like rain, so they waited a while...I could tell they were getting antsy, so I told 'em to put on their big girl panties and get on the road. They did. :D

Now I've got to figure out what I'm gonna do for the next three weeks.

Hmmmm.....

Movies taped...check....chilled wine...check.

I think I'm good. :)

That must have been some breakfast, bbbamI.:D

Made eggs for brunch and then checked the code. Sure enough they are in one of the recalled batches. :(

Got a great "pre-moving" Gantt chart that I requested from Frank. One thing he really knows how to do, after all those years in engineering, is manage a project. :D The Gantt chart is brilliant and took all the convoluted sequences of tasks (that were giving me headaches) into consideration, so the critical path is apparent. It actually makes all the fixing and repairing seem less than endless. ;)

Do I sound thrilled? I am. :D:D:D It's such a gas that he can use his engineering training and skills for OUR benefit now instead of for the benefit of megacorps. After lunch we Xeroxed four copies (two for him, and two for me). The nice thing about it is that I don't have to do anything until Friday. :LOL:

Then we spent the afternoon together at his place. Tonight, I *ruthlessly* went through my kitchen cabinets, sorting into "move", "toss", and "donate" piles. Very little will be moved, only about 20% of the cabinet contents, and it has been put back in the cabinets. Nothing that has been unused for five years will be moved. The "toss" pile is now in the trash.

The "donate" pile is boxed up by the front door. If he finishes with the plumbers at his house (again) in time tomorrow, we can make a Good Will run.

Did some online clothes shopping and ordering. That about covers it! I'm tired and will sleep well tonight.

Congrats W2R, sounds like you're really serious about making things happen with your sale/move.

Please keep us advised of the progress on your Gantt chart so that we can [-]goad you into action[/-] help celebrate your progress. :D

I salvaged an almost brand new Nikon 6mp camera off craigslist. Person posted this for free after dropping the camera on vacation and the lens jammed in the open position which caused the camera to lock up with a "lens error". Being the tinkering kind of person that I am, I offered to try to fix it instead of adding to a landfill. After messing with it for under 1 minute, I now have a working camera! Pretty good return I must say, got the box, manuals, software and accessories (only missing batteries and memory card). It still sells on Amazon (where it was purchased) for almost $200.

I guess I joined the old fa*t, retirees club tonight. For the first time in years, I got my sons old mountain bicycle out, aired up the tires (which were completely flat) and went for a 1.5 mile ride at around 11PM. I'm out of breath and my legs feel like noodles. I suppose that's a good thing. It means I actually exercised for the first time in a while.
Got to get into it and keep it up though,
Steve

Congrats W2R, sounds like you're really serious about making things happen with your sale/move.

Please keep us advised of the progress on your Gantt chart so that we can [-]goad you into action[/-] help celebrate your progress. :D

:LOL::ROFLMAO::2funny: I am sure you will need to do that, every step of the way!

I just finished packing four boxes of stuff for Good Will, consolidating furniture for the first Salvation Army pickup in the front room, and filling out some details for the coming week on the Gantt chart. First items on the Gantt chart: On Friday, call the tree removing company and the electrician to get estimates. That's not too bad. Yet. ;)

We love our guests, but after 34 consecutive days of them it's a huge relief to be alone in this house again.

Now spouse and I will have to figure out what we're going to do all day together.

Tomorrow will probably involve still even yet more surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom