what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting Dave. I like seeing what you have been able to do. You feed the saw into the log, not the other way.

Ha

Christmas shopping......

The head ache of Christmas shopping is over stated. I knocked all mine out this morning in roughly an hour. Of course I don't put a lot of thought in it so that takes the pressure off. Kirkland's is a great place to get some interesting ideas. For example....my niece is a senior at the Univ of Alabama so I got her a statue of an elephant.(AL mascot) I don't have a clue what she will use it for but she will like it. One of my nephews runs a BBQ restaurant and will be opening up another soon, so I got him a big coffee cup with a chalk board on one side of it to list the price of a cup of coffee. Now he may not even serve coffee but a neat looking item for his restaurant. Am I good or what?:)

BTW, I was expecting a ton of last minute shoppers but did not find many there. Lot's of good bargains to be had.

That's because you already had a bad headache from banging your head repeatedly into a brick wall.

Good point.
img_762920_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

Walked to the grocery store to pick up some essentials.

Shovelled the driveway (14" of snow), as it started to warm up and they're predicting more for the Seattle area Tuesday pm. But rain on the week-end (yay!)

-- Rita

Took my Mom out for breakfast this morning at our favorite restaurant a few blocks away. Then went to the Feed & Seed Store to pick up some food for my feathered friends....took it home and refilled the feeders. Messed around out in my shop for a couple of hours, then went in and 'watched' TV.

After [-]my nap[/-] 'watching' TV, I went to the grocery store for a few things so we don't have to go again until after Christmas sometime. Then stopped at the hardware store to pick up another heat lamp & bulb for out in my workshop....I've got 2 heat lamps already installed, but decided a 3rd one would help bring the shop up to temp a bit quicker. Someday I'll run a gas line out there, and install a furnace....but I've just been way too [-]lazy[/-] busy.

When I got home from the stores, I refilled the feeders...again!

My day will wrap up with some 'net surfin', TV viewing, then, being all tuckered out, I'll hit the pillows. :D

Re-stoked the stove around 0900, that's when i finally crawled out of bed. Outside thermometer showed 5 degrees.
Lounge around reminding myself how great retirement is.
smiley.gif
smiley.gif
smiley.gif

Did not have to show up at 0630 at w*rk. Just looking out the widow, for hours. It sure looks picture postcard pretty from in here, temp about 78 from the stove.

Watched DW get bundled up to go get her haircut, [-]wasted more time[/-] got up to speed on the daily drivel.

Went to local greasy spoon for coffee and the latest local news.

Another words: a damn good day.
grin.gif

Started the day with 45 minutes of running on the treadmill before meeting with my personal trainer for an hour weight training session. Followed that up with a visit to the chiropractor - finally found a really good one who is working on the neurological/deep tissue issues.

Spent the afternoon running around the mall and various shops buying some new soup plates for Christmas Day lunch. Also trawled the shops looking for some ugly Christmas sweaters to force on each attendee at lunch on Christmas day.

Ended the day cooking carrot and ginger soup for dinner, first time so hopefully it will be tasty.

Enough with your what I did today ER stuff.....

My company will be cutting people in Jan - maybe me, it's friggin cold, I worked all day, I had to receive cheesy/tacky X-mas gifts from co-workers/bosses, read stupid emails from senior mgt about how much progress was made this past year and the Bears aren't killing the Pack as of the 1st Q.

But the Sam Adams is tasting damn good right now.....

You guys don't know what you are missing :uglystupid:

Got up at 8 (am)...thought about how glad I am I don't have to go to work today (2 weeks off, school teacher). Talked to my finance guy back in Deer Park WA last night and he still thinks I might be able to retire in 1.5 years at 53. Practiced some Bach on the mandolin. Ran a little over 4 miles. Walked my wife into Harrogate and back (3 miles) to check on a new phone for her and looking for a box to ship a mandolin to the US in. Trading a guy who has a solid body electric I want. Box not found.....phone purchased. Walked dogs onto top field in the mud....our "not normal" dog did not try to kill any others today (very successful walk). Contemplated for the umpteenth time today how I really need to get out of teaching and become half way decent on the mandolin. My wife just informed me she is having a gin+tonic and watching Scrooge with Alastair Sim....guess I will pop a (or more) Corona and join her. Again thinking about how much I need to retire on....$40,000 or less a year. I think I can.....I think I can.....I think I can.....

DW, DD, and I were talking about biking, and thinking it would be fun if we could all ride together this vacation. DD's bike is at college.

Then I noticed a good bike in craigslist, and thought I could buy it, fix it up, and sell it when DD went back to school. I spent a good amount of time deciding between "This is a crazy thing to do" and "You've got to go for it in life."

So I bought it for $100. I spent a few hours fixing it up and here it is:

img_763249_0_c758a2942d5dbb37c6fb59d5273fca39.jpg

Today, as soon as I wake DD up, we'll ride 25 miles to the hospital where DW is volunteering, and have lunch together. It will be cold, but probably worth it.

Hopefully we'll have one or two days of better weather within the next two weeks.

Up at 7, outdoor temps are rising, today's high forecast is 30 compared to yesterday's 10. Went to the Y for my twice weekly workouts. Did a bunch of left/right/ backward falls, 38 kata forms, topped off with 1/2 hr sauna. Now taking wife to get her nails done.

It is ****ing snowing again. ****, ****, ****. I am sick of this!

Going out in a few minutes to shovel the steps.

And the ****ing snowplow dumped loads on our front sidewalk and ****ing driveway.

It is ****ing snowing again. ****, ****, ****. I am sick of this! Going out in a few minutes to shovel the steps.
And the ****ing snowplow dumped loads on our front sidewalk and ****ing driveway.
I just got done with that chore on the back deck complex. It was a good light workout to counteract the chocolate. :cool: I have a John Deere mini snowblower with rubber on the auger edges. That little beauty is a godsend. :D

One thing I did today was to stop bellyaching over our cold temps here (45 in Atlanta) after reading what some of you are dealing with!

Looks like a nice bike, Al, and seems like a good deal. There are definitely some crazies on Craig's List, but I guess that people who are selling stuff like bikes may be relatively sane....

Having a stay-at-home day, which can be a lot of fun. Exercised on the stationary bike for an hour, made homemade lentil soup, made rum balls and margarita balls to take to a neighbor's get-together on Christmas. At 5, we're going over for cocktails with our 91 year old neighbor. Tonight we will watch a couple of episodes of Huff on DVD (a terrific Showtime dramedy about a psychiatrist and the craziness in his life, especially with some of his relatives and friends).

Walked my wife into Harrogate and back (3 miles) to check on a new phone for her and looking for a box to ship a mandolin to the US in.

One thing we miss about our time in England is walking to town to take care of errands. We lived in Beaconsfield for 3 years from 1998-2000 (about 30 miles or so west of London) while I commuted to London. We lived just outside the town and walked most of the time for shopping or to the train station. London is still my favorite city and especially enjoyed sitting in Leicester Square on New Years watching people go by. Some of the coffee shops there had those big, outside propane heaters over the tables so even if it was frosty, you could sit outside.

Have driven through Harrogate but never spent time there. We also lived in England from 1977-1980 as well, that time in Beford, north of London- I was in the Air Force for that stint.

We spent the morning wrapping presents after walking the dogs, it was 12 degrees when we got up but no snow or ice, calling for a little bit tonight but we don't have to go out so let it snow!

Oh yes....I know Beaconsfield. I worked at High Wycombe for most of 5 years in the school dorms. Then another few years up at Croughton. If you were at Bedford, you likely were at Lakenheath or Alconbury. I have spent time at High Wycombe, Croughton, Greenham Common, then Giessen Germany, Okinawa and back to England again. England always being the best place...although I sure miss the ocean in Okinawa. I WOULD live here if I could afford it, but I don't want to work for another 7-8 years. The weather really sucks up here in north of England...but everything else is great. I married a local lady almost 2 years ago. But...we can retire early to Spokane and we plan to do so as soon as possible.

Actually, we were at a small base called RAF Chicksands, it was a Security Service base, large antenna that could be seen for miles but otherwise, very small. No planes or runways. We used the BX at Alconbury quite often though. We shopped quite a bit in High Wycombe and I bought a 1956 MGA from a place near there that I still have, converted it to left hand drive and shipped it here.

We thought about buying a place in the UK as well but same conclusion as you, just too expensive.

Have a great holiday!

Ran some errands this morning, freezing rain predicted for 5PM. The afternoon commute is going to be fun.

It's good to be retired.:D

The vet's building was getting the shingles replaced (from damage from the Sep. hurricane).

Nice job, replacing a roof in 28F weather, trying to finish ahead of an ice storm.

Right now, it's sleet AND freezing rain.

Ran some errands this morning, freezing rain predicted for 5PM. The afternoon commute is going to be fun...Right now, it's sleet AND freezing rain.
Coming soon to a theatre near me. ICK! :eek:
NWS - Enhanced Doppler Radar National Mosaic Loop
The approach of this weather system is precisely why I got that snow off the back deck while it was still light and fluffy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom