what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attended a funeral. This was a therapist colleague at the hospital who ER'd at 55 earlier this year. Three months ago he had an Xray for back pain and discovered he had metastatic bone cancer. He was a great guy and there were many tears. Goes to show we should enjoy every day, because we don't know when our time is up.

I washed one side of the camper van yesterday & waxed that side today. Only 3 more sides & the top to go.

Then I took my new dog to a pro dog trainer/kennel friends to show them my dog & enjoy a bbq. There was an Airedale there who was nervous & aggressive to all other dogs & had never played with another dog. My dog pleaded with the Airedale for a while and got the dog to play with her for hours. You could see how happy & relaxed the Airedale was. They had a blast. Apparently, I adopted a natural dog therapist.

I attended a funeral. This was a therapist colleague at the hospital who ER'd at 55 earlier this year. Three months ago he had an Xray for back pain and discovered he had metastatic bone cancer. He was a great guy and there were many tears. Goes to show we should enjoy every day, because we don't know when our time is up.
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was too young.....such a shame.

Meadbh ,
Every time I hear these stories I realize how much life should be appreciated because you never know .

Today is my retirement party. Even thought I retired in July, summer was just to busy to try and get people rounded up, especially since most have to make an hour long trek to get to my house. About 15 people are coming, some are bringing RVs and spending the night. I am grilling up some brats and tri-tip and have a couple of coolers full of beer and soda. Tomorrow morning I'm making biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. The fun starts right after my son's football game. A good day!

Congrats on the retirement and have a great day. I think there is a thread called Class of 2010 for those retired in 2010, you might which to add your name there.

Got up at 4am to ensure that DW and her friend (who drove to our place yesterday) were awake to get the limo at 5:30 to get to the airport.

They are on their way to Vegas (along with a Canyonlands tour); I'm going back to bed :LOL: ...

Two weeks of just me and the puppies...

So sad. I'm sorry about your friend.

Put in a new vinyl tile kitchen floor at the lake house yesterday. That stuff sure goes down easy.

Just returned from the University Dairy Store. I had a double scoop of Raspberry Chocolate Chip and Lemon Custard. They had two new flavors that I wasn't tempted to try Maple Bacon and Sweet Corn...I thought of Cute Fuzzy Bunny for some reason.:D

We stopped by an open house to chat with my, now our, realtor. We told him that we aren't done with fixing things up. He was pretty encouraging, and says that the kind of work we are doing and having done is necessary in this market in order to sell.

At any rate he is going to come by our houses, make suggestions for preparing them for sale, do comps, and we can go from there.

Watched Football. A brand new season.

Have been helping a friend with a family emergency. Been feeling a bit down. When she was away, she had her sister look after her cat but the cat dashed out, climbed the yard and hasn't been been back. Been about a week.

Hi there :greetings10: Yes, I am still on the planet.

I went to MA and NH this week. We tried to find a decent lobster place but they were all packed. So Plan B kicked in...we went to a restaurant that had just about anything you could possibly want on their menu. I ordered the most fabulous jumbo shrimp, scallop and haddock Newburg casserole. This portion could have fed 3 people easily. I ate only 1/3 of it. My leftovers are in the freezer for future reference. :D
It was only a 3 day trip but it was SO WORTH it to get out of East Nowhere. :clap:
The trees are starting to turn up here. As much as I love the fall foliage, the inevitable is not too far away. :nonono:
I need to pull my boat before October 1st and order a face cord of wood for the winter. I'm moved all of my Roma tomato plants and geraniums inside my screened and plexiglas enclosed porch.
Little by little, my winter preparations shall proceed...:(

I've also been building a very nice Ruby Red Depression glassware set from eBay. I've figured out the maximum bid process and how to wait until an auction is just about over to slip in a final bid if I really want the item. I have passed on many items because the cost + shipping is too much. ;)

Hi there :greetings10: Yes, I am still on the planet.

I went to MA and NH this week. We tried to find a decent lobster place but they were all packed. So Plan B kicked in...we went to a restaurant that had just about anything you could possibly want on their menu. I ordered the most fabulous jumbo shrimp, scallop and haddock Newburg casserole. This portion could have fed 3 people easily. I ate only 1/3 of it. My leftovers are in the freezer for future reference. :D
It was only a 3 day trip but it was SO WORTH it to get out of East Nowhere. :clap:

:clap: What fun!! I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip. There is a lot of seafood to be eaten other than lobster. I love it all and that jumbo shrimp, scallop, and haddock dish sounds dreamy. :D

:cool: Jammed like a madman. Sang into a mirror. Planned a trip. Watched football. Went to the bookstore. Ate a quesadilla. Sat on the deck and read. Played a video game. All before 3pm!

Took care of a few errands this morning, including getting my hair trimmed. After said trimming, some silver hair is showing....gotta fix that.

Warm, sunny afternoon. Time for a nap, then later a Mojito or two...:angel:

Speaking of trimming, we took our bunny to the vet to have his toenails clipped back. They grow about half an inch every six months unless they get plenty of digging in the dirt, but he's an indoor bunny.

He's nearly 10 years old but he's hale & hearty-- no arthritis in this critter. Although he's going a little silver too...

This afternoon we're going down to our rental house to reload salt in the water conditioner and fix a set of miniblinds. Our tenants just launched both of their kids from the nest (the youngest joined the Marines last week) and now that they have both bedrooms back they've been inspired to a frenzy of sorting & cleaning.

Surfed the web while the housekeeper cleaned the bathroom and kitchen (floor counter refrigerator stove and some dishes).

I've also been building a very nice Ruby Red Depression glassware set from eBay. I've figured out the maximum bid process and how to wait until an auction is just about over to slip in a final bid if I really want the item. I have passed on many items because the cost + shipping is too much. ;)

My sister had quite the collection that I inherited, except they are green. She told me never to sell them, some are extremely rare. I guess she helped out some old guy and he gave her them. Safe in the storage area for now............:)

I had a big fire truck at my house yesterday with 3 very cute firemen.:cool:

They came to install smoke detectors for the hearing impaired. Very nice system and I'm glad to have it. But, boy those guys...hmmmm nice.

Why do projects take so long ? In planning you think you can just whip them out but in reality they take twice as long . We are painting and recarpeting a few areas and it is taking much longer than I thought but I am sure I'll love it when it's done .

Just left New Orleans. Great food, friendly people, but the French Quarter could really use a facelift. Hopefully the economy will pick up to help those people. Now in Nashville, working our way to Chi-town.

I finally finished the draft "pocket guide" version of "The Military Guide" for the publisher (Our Pocket Guides). Chainsawing 200+ pages of 6"x9" text down to 64 pages of 4"x5" text was pretty painful, but if it leaves the reader wanting more then I guess I succeeded.

I'd appreciate it if those of you who are members of the invitation-only "Military Guide" social group (you know who you are) would take a look at the PDF and point out what could have been done better. My perception starts to flag after the 10th or 11th pass through the material.

I might be a bit out in front of the bus. Impact Publications has had the full-length manuscript for five weeks now, and hopefully their edits don't change so much that I'd have to re-write the pocket guide as well. OTOH I didn't want to be writing a pocket guide on a plane flight to Houston next week.

Now that I'm just about done with the writing (I hope) we can move the discussions from the social group to the main board. The next couple threads I start will deal with nominating a book cover and choosing the military charities to receive the royalties.

But first I need to inspect the accuracy of Wednesday morning's surf forecast of 4-6 feet on the south shore, as well as Thursday's & Friday's 6-8 feet. I think this is also a great opportunity to make sure my kid's epoxy board hasn't dried out too much in storage while she's at college...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom