what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be gone for a few days....y'all be good now, ya hear? :greetings10:
Hey, where you going without ME? Meanie. :(

I am also headed out for an overnight trip to Ithaca NY. The plan is to visit a guitar shop that is like a mini museum (I'll take pics for the musicians here). Maybe visit the fabulous glacial gorges the area is famous for. Or maybe take a stroll across the Cornell University campus. Then dress to the nines for dinner at a Greek restaurant.

I ask you all...how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :cool:

This winter's supply plus next years' supply is in place. Left side is green, right side is seasoned for this year. Bottom right is some well seasoned (leftover from last year) that I forgot to pull out before it got covered up. Oh well. :whistle:

My fave Bostonian became a country boy today. He had never stacked wood before. Now I have to engineer a pulley system to haul it up to the screened porch so my winter suppy is dry and right outside the door. Versus battling feet of snow to get more wood. Thinking, thinking....;)

Attachments

• woodshed2010.jpg
    woodshed2010.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4
Bought much stuff at farmers' market.
Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.

Went to nearby local "Pub and Eatery" and bought a reuben sandwich; hadn't had one in years.

Ah, a Reuben! My favorite restaurant sandwich, and I haven't had one in at least a year either. No really good delis where I live. It is almost worth a trip to NYC just to go to Katzes on the Lower East Side. I don't recall if they have Reubens there, but I would definitely savor an extra lean corned beef on rye. And maybe a side of chopped liver. And one of their incomparable pickles. I only went to w*rk today, and the weather is much to beautiful to be hunched over a computer all day. Hey, that's what I am doing right now at home, too. I must take the pooch for a walk as it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

I ask you all...how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :cool:

This winter's supply plus next years' supply is in place. Left side is green, right side is seasoned for this year. Bottom right is some well seasoned (leftover from last year) that I forgot to pull out before it got covered up. Oh well. :whistle:

I'm impressed! DH and I have been doing the same. We had a large, dead oak tree cut down and we're chainsawing and wood splitting fools. That little nip is in the evening air these days. Won't be long before the cats are flaked out around the Jotul.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 4

I had completely forgotten about the reuben. They were good but pastrami on rye with cabbage borscht was my favorite. Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.

I had completely forgotten about the reuben. They were good but pastrami on rye with cabbage borscht was my favorite. Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.

I figure once every year or so won't cause much harm.

...(snip)...
Hi Freebird, I have a wood storage question. I'm on the California coast so we just get rain, no snow. I'm looking at your wood shed and wondering if when you get rain does the wood get too wet? In the past we stored the wood in our garage but I've heard that's not such a smart idea. So now I'm planning on going to a tarp and just bring in a little wood at a time but have heard that a wood shed is a nice way to go. Hence the question about wet wood in the rain, especially the driving rain one gets in storms around here.

P.S. Nice wood pile you have there!

I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.

Today we moved the very large, antique solid oak dining table that I was using for a desk, out of my study. This is the heaviest oak dining table I have ever seen in my entire life. It weighs a TON (not literally, but it might as well). Not only was this table extremely heavy (did I mention it is heavy? :LOL:), it essentially filled my small study and had to be maneuvered on end through both tight spaces and three doorways to get it out into the main living space. At one point I was seriously thinking of getting out my saw and making kindling out of it just to end the pain, but finally it was in place in the dining room.

The heavy solid oak dining table was a wonderful, wonderful desk for me for many years but after I use it for staging my house, it is not going to go north with me.

Then, we made a Good Will run and went to Home Depot to buy what we need for the next few days. After returning home, I got to move some of my other furniture into my study, re-connect my computer and network once it was on the smaller desk, and roll up and remove the rug.

Last edited:
I'm utterly and completely exhausted, with all the physical exertion involved with getting the house ready to list.

Chill baby. Since I know you don't drink red wine, my next best suggestion is for Frank to give you a foot massage;)

On the last cruise we went on they had a deli that made corned beef sandwiches & Hot Pastrami sandwiches . I was in heaven.

Took another lovely walk on the Canal today with a friend & 3 dogs. At the river, my dog found a big rotting fish. Eewww! I had keep pulling her away from it but she is much more responsive to me this week. She had a good time in the river & playing. Then I took a little nap. Then I drove down to the VIP (volunteer in park) appreciation dinner. They did a really nice job, the food was great & I got a nice calendar, certificate & a 1 year pin.

I was wondering how the park could do this for us since we could never spend gov funds on food when I was in. Turns out a private Canal trust pays for it. Yep, same rules for them.

Dawn patrol. Took out my kid's 7'9" epoxy board in 6-8 foot surf. I was thrashed and trashed but I'm getting the hang of it. It's annoying to learn [-]through repeated near-drownings[/-] firsthand how many bad habits you can pick up on a longer board. Hers floats like a potato chip and turns on a dime whether or not I happen to be standing on it at the moment. I'm going back out tomorrow (as soon as I stop taking the ibupofen) to un-learn a few more bad habits.

I find myself starting to have thoughts like "Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting an epoxy 9'0" and "Hmmm, maybe I should buy a couple used 10'0"s off Craigslist for our next batch of houseguests." Storage is an issue.

Now that our empty-nester food & utilities costs have dropped, we're starting to upgrade our lifestyle a bit. A couple months ago I ditched two ancient laptops for a new 14" ThinkPad. Spouse just returned from travel to inform me that it's "her" ThinkPad now (unless it happens to stop working) so yesterday I bought another 14" of that model. On impulse I decided to buy a new Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse to replace our eight-year-old battery hogs, and it looks like I'll be adding another wireless mouse to spouse's laptop.

Won't be long before the cats are flaked out around the Jotul.
That feline looks like it's just suffered a debilitating spinal injury. Are you really supposed to be able to bend bend them like that or do they keep trying to snap back to their original configuration?

Staying away from meats that have nitrates in them now.
When I dine out at local restaurants I can have yummy fresh ocean fish or other authentic Hawaiian cuisine, but I'm frequently tempted by Reubens which must have been shipped across a half-dozen time zones and stored for weeks in a freezer. I'm pretty sure our local chefs have never seen a NYC or Pittsburgh Reuben. But I console myself with the knowledge that the benefits of the sauerkraut must neutralize all the nitrates and most of the calories.

Have you been using felt-footed furniture glides to help you pull & push the furniture around the wide-open areas?

Mmmm, rueben!

One could always corn their own beef (get your mind out of the gutter people...)

Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Today we moved the very large, antique solid oak dining table that I was using for a desk, out of my study. This is the heaviest oak dining table I have ever seen in my entire life. It weighs a TON (not literally, but it might as well). Not only was this table extremely heavy (did I mention it is heavy? :LOL:), it essentially filled my small study and had to be maneuvered on end through both tight spaces and three doorways to get it out into the main living space. At one point I was seriously thinking of getting out my saw and making kindling out of it just to end the pain, but finally it was in place in the dining room.

The heavy solid oak dining table was a wonderful, wonderful desk for me for many years but after I use it for staging my house, it is not going to go north with me.

Then, we made a Good Will run and went to Home Depot to buy what we need for the next few days. After returning home, I got to move some of my other furniture into my study, re-connect my computer and network once it was on the smaller desk, and roll up and remove the rug.

If/when I move again, anything The Salvation Army won't take stays with the house...

If/when I move again, anything The Salvation Army won't take stays with the house...

That is what I am thinking too, especially since this is an interstate move. I will try to sell most of the remaining furniture to the buyers, if they want it. If not then the Salvation Army can have it.

By the way, the Salvation Army has taken the worst of my furniture and refused nothing. They were very grateful and the sentiment is mutual.

Have you been using felt-footed furniture glides to help you pull & push the furniture around the wide-open areas?

Good idea, and just in time! No, I had forgotten about them, and thank you for the reminder. Now that I have that table out of my study, and some of the junkier furniture removed, there actually are some wide-open areas, too.

Last edited:
DW is happy. After months of procrastination we took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. A book case, 35" TV, a new but slow & noisy inkjet printer (came free with the new computer), 19" CRT computer monitor, clothes, etc. are no longer cluttering up the place.

Installed a dedicated electrical outlet for the laser printer. It draws about 9 amps on startup and that was too much for the same circuit the computer is on and set the UPS off repeatedly every time the heater came on. DW no longer grumps at me for running a 12 gauge orange extension cord to the kitchen when printing.

Delivered a six-foot wooden dinosaur to SIL for niece's upcoming bridal shower (it's a long story....).

But I'm willing to wager few have a stranger dining room centerpiece than that one.

Attachments

• Laurie visit 012.jpg
    Laurie visit 012.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Laurie visit 011.jpg
    Laurie visit 011.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece! :LOL:

Walt, I am glad to hear that GoodWill took your TV. I have an old 19" CRT TV that I want to donate but wasn't sure if they would take it.
Looks like you are in luck. The NO Goodwill website doesn't list TV's as a "we don't want" item. Wish our local Goodwill would take my old sets...

What Items NOT to Donate
Air Conditioners
Automobile or truck parts, oil, gasoline, etc.
Carpeting
Car Seats
Clothes hangers
Computers (Older than 4 years)
Cosmetics
Firearms of any kind
Food, beverages
Furnaces, wall heaters
Furniture in need of repair or reupholstering
Gas powered equipment
Grills
Hazardous materials
Hospital beds
Lawn mowers
Magazines
Major appliances
Mattresses/box springs
Mildewed/soiled/wet clothing
Newspapers
Non-working electrical equipment
Swing sets
Toys

And yes, that is a very unusual and spectacular centerpiece! :LOL:
We just gave our "working" old CRT TV to Salvation Army. Our son had been using it and the audio was a problem I think. But they also have a place to take electronics that are at the recycle stage. So if your TV isn't that great I think they have an alternative way to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom