what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got up early after Tuesday golf and I was tired. Wed is normally my day to sleep in but DW had a sewing gig so I had to get up. Had the day to myself. It's really dry right now in FL so I watered all the plants around the house and then got cleaned up. Went out for breakfast and did my crossword puzzle. Called daughter, who lives 10 miles away, and went over to see her. She has MS, has good days and bad. Had to drop off some fishing supplies for SIL and pick up ceramic pots in which he was putting drain holes. Hard to do but he has the equipment. He sandblasted the drain holes in three pots so tomorrow I have my work cut out. We just had a pondless waterfall installed in our back yard and there are a lot of plants to repot. We love the sound of running water so the waterfall was a necessity.

Had a little sunset excitement in the gulch about 500 yards downstream of our house. We've had four or five small fires in the neighborhood in the last week, mostly next to H-2 where someone could hit & run. This time they went into the brush at the edge of the community park. Despite the last few days' rain, the vegetation apparently wasn't too wet to catch fire. It could've been kids sneaking a smoke, but I'm voting for a new venue of the arsonist.

The tradewinds were blowing in the correct direction and it didn't head our way. A helicopter and six fire trucks leaped on it within five minutes and the flames were gone within 15 minutes. They're still overhauling the area.

Attachments

• MYDC0013.JPG
    MYDC0013.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 5
It has been doing nothing but raining here. :(

I've been spending a lot of time out of the house, kinda like a last hurrah before I go into winter hibernation. The fall colors WERE beautiful until this icky weather moved in. The good news is tomorrow will be sunny. I have to pull my boat out of the lake. One more spin..the lake will be empty of boats and hopefully the water will be like glass. I feel a "need for speed" comin' on. >:D

Things to do...move winter supply of wood into garage, sell snowmobile, put foam stripping around windows (very minor gaps), get winter cash stash (for any power out situations, i.e. cash is king), mulch fallen leaves with lawn tractor, plant 3 hardy mums in front raised bed, and decorate pumpkins :D, maybe even carve a jack-o-lantern face into one of them.

Started jogging again though mixed with some brisk walking. Then met some ex colleagues for lunch and listen to them complain about work. However, they seem very happy when they talk about their vacations. Then wander round shops I've never got a chance to go while working - did not buy a single thing though saw a lot of interesting things. Cooked a new dish for dinner - yummy yummy. It's a chinese dish involving one whole chicken with lots of chinese herbs and stewed for 4 hours or so.

I've been spending a lot of time out of the house, kinda like a last hurrah before I go into winter hibernation.

I would have liked getting out of the house more over the last week but with the painting going on it didn't work out that way. So, yesterday, with the painting now done, I ventured out some. Went to Sam's and loaded up on toilet paper, paper towels and washing supplies, etc. I like to load up with lots before winter...I'm a squirrel. I will also hit Walgreens and a grocery store before snow and ice comes.:(

We started the Hawaii version of "winterizing": made sure that the windows we've left open for the last six months can still be shut. Winter is definitely coming-- we've actually been shutting a couple bedroom windows at night and some days we don't even turn on the ceiling fans.

Had an interesting lifestyle conversation with my spouse yesterday. She has this friend whose spouse is retiring from the military to a career that will net him at least $100K-$150K/year. He's getting a $44K/year military pension and her $30K/year job will give them a comfortable lifestyle even if he decides he doesn't wanna work.

Instead she's proposing that they literally mortgage his future earnings to buy a $750K empty-nester home that she refers to as "Raleighwood" in a neighborhood that will almost certainly lead to additional "lifestyle creep". I'm predicting a country-club membership, a boat, and perhaps even a personal aircraft for starters. He'd better be doing what he loves so that he can start chasing after his money...

I took a vacation day from the office to clean house as my cousin is visiting from Cape Cod from Saturday to Tuesday. I didn't want her to think I am some kind of a slob. I started early and the place looks pretty nice, but I am pooped and feel like a drudge. Maybe I will watch some trash TV and have a gin and tonic.
Not that I intend to sit around the house with my cousin...we plan to visit some relatives Saturday, do a house tour in Pittsburgh on Sunday and visit Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Ohiopyle) on Monday.

We don't winterize here in Waimanalo -- all windows stay open all the time. But recalling some chilly nights in past Januaries, I bought a Dimplex space heater with fake logs and flames. My wife just sneered when I ordered it, but now it's here, she seems to like it okay. I think it's very convincing. The fake flames can run independently of the heater part, so even though it's 77d.F. out now, I can still have a cozy "fire".

... and visit Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Ohiopyle) on Monday.
I haven't seen it since high school. Hasn't there been a renovation going on there to take care of the spalling concrete? Did they at least fix the leaky windows?

But recalling some chilly nights in past Januaries, I bought a Dimplex space heater with fake logs and flames. My wife just sneered when I ordered it, but now it's here, she seems to like it okay. I think it's very convincing. The fake flames can run independently of the heater part, so even though it's 77d.F. out now, I can still have a cozy "fire".
Years ago we jokingly bought my parents-in-law a fireplace screensaver DVD for their TV. They actually kept it on most of the time because it made them feel warmer...

I just realized I have a lot of diaries and letters I need to dispose of . I would really not like them read later . Although it would give my daughter a few chuckles to know that her Mom "s life was not as sedate as she thought .:)

Send 'em out to me. I promise not to tell your daughter anything totally scandalous. Though I can't imagine what that might be in this day. :)

Is this an example of the oft-mentioned "useless" Post?

Not at all, this is an example of a very useful post. It gives us hard up, aging former Casanovas good fantasy material. What more could you wish for? Just save it to a Word file labeled "For Those Lonely, Lonely Nights". What, you have no such file? Egad man, you are wasting a forum resource!

And in other news... I went to my dentist this morning to have a wisdom tooth extracted. He said, "you know, there really is no problem with that tooth, it is structurally strong and well mineralized, let's leave it in place." I had suggested he take it out because it is a hassle to keep clean. His answer to that was that it has been 25 years since I had a cavity in that tooth or the adjoining molar, so I seem to be doing pretty well.

A relief to me, and one reason I still drive a good piece up I-5 to see him. He is totally honest, he has never tried to upsell anything. I told him this, in front of his assistant, and he was very pleased. He said, "I try to always put my patients first, but not many of them notice that or mention it."

I am always a grateful observer of integrity, as I realize that this is one of the many things that can't be bought with money. Others are love, hope, affection and eager sex. I hope I never fail to realize what a gift these are.

Ha

I haven't seen it since high school. Hasn't there been a renovation going on there to take care of the spalling concrete? Did they at least fix the leaky windows?

Nords, the Western PA Conservancy has finished shoring up the cantilevered part of Fallingwater so that it did not crumble from the damp and water into Bear Run. I believe they are busy replacing the window glass but not the sacred windows frames as they are the work and design of FLW and quite unique for the time.

I like the location of nearby Kentuck Knob better (another FLW design for the Hagan ice cream family). I think it is a more liveable home being situated in a high meadow. FLW certainly did have very strong opinions on his creations and he was lucky IMHO that his clients acquiesced to his philosophy.

Scanned a boatload of photographs from decades ago for an upcoming family gathering, went for a bike ride, bought fertilizer and grass seed.

Here's one of me from about 1962 or thereabouts:

Attachments

• Walt riding the Sinclair dino.jpg
    Walt riding the Sinclair dino.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 3
Send 'em out to me. I promise not to tell your daughter anything totally scandalous. Though I can't imagine what that might be in this day. :)

Ha
I was divorced at 32 . I spent most of my thirties single so there is some good reading in those diaries .

We got back home a couple of days ago. Will have a more detailed report later on our first "real" RV trip, along with some photos. Would have kept goin', except that there is a family gathering that we do not want to miss.

Still getting turned around after our 24 hour day flying from Frankfurt to Vancouver, with a refueling stop in Reykyavik and a crew change in Calgary. It was sunny when we arrived (and left) but has started raining now (day 2).

Boat pulling deal fell through...but I still have time. :D

I'm enjoying the P&Q here in my living room, listening to the wonderful sounds of my solar powered outdoor fountain turned into an indoor humidifier/duck pond. I put a flat oven pan underneath the metal framework for catching splashes. There are small stones in each of the smaller clay bowls to enhance the cascading water sounds.

And, yes, there are 2 mini yellow [-]plastic[/-] rubber duckies :blush: "swimming" around in the large base bowl. I looked for tiny sailboats or swans at the dollar store but no luck. So the duckies won. :LOL:

My second childhood is surely a lot of FUN. Your grandkids might enjoy something like this. :flowers:

I may use a flashlight to keep the pump running on cloudy :( days. I'll be engineering that setup at another time. :cool:

Attachments

• Humidifier.jpg
    Humidifier.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 193
Last week, today, and probably for the next few weeks I've learned far more about websites, blogging, Facebook, and Twitter than I really cared to know. I've always preferred writing to programming, and this effort has been a potent reminder why.

The beta sites of the blog and the Facebook page for "The Military Guide" are up. Twitter still needs some work with the military hash tags. Check my profile for the URL or help boost the SEO by searching Facebook or Googling for the phrase "The military guide to financial". I've also heard (but haven't yet verified) that Facebook "likes" will improve the SEO, so feel free to run wild with the friending and the liking. Or let me know what I can do better on those sites.

I'm trying to make a habit of updating every Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday. Visit the pages on those days (afternoons/evenings for most of you) or sign up for a feed.

Now that the social group has finished reviewing the 64-page pocket-guide version, I'll put more of this on the public forums. The next two threads I'll start here will be to nominate the book cover (a couple suggestions are already in hand) and to choose the military charities (a couple have already been offered).

Whaddya do all day indeed.

Ran 10 miles, low and slow. I'm thinking of doing the Hibiscus Half-marathon in Honolulu next June, trying to work up to 13 miles. Today's run was a really good one, until it started raining at about mile 7. I got a little grumpy about it, until I figured out that the rain was keeping me cool. At the end, I was feeling really good, like I might actually be able to do all 13 miles of a halfer. Sanity over-ruled any thoughts of continuing...don't need to over-do it and injure myself.

R

Riding the rails! I'm on an Amtrak train, which seems to be oversold. I'll be spending the day perched on the world's most uncomfortable stool as I enjoy high speed rail travel, sometimes at velocities exceeding 30 MPH.

Ah, the marvels of 19th century technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom