what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riding the rails! I'm on an Amtrak train, which seems to be oversold. I'll be spending the day perched on the world's most uncomfortable stool as I enjoy high speed rail travel, sometimes at velocities exceeding 30 MPH.

Ah, the marvels of 19th century technology...

What train are you on? I'll be sure never to take that one.

Gave blood.
Ran dishwasher.
Almost caught up on snail mail.

Get up bright and early to meet a friend at the lumber yard when it opened at 7:00 AM. Then we built a wheel-chair ramp at another friend's house. She will never R, much less E. We'll be back before Xmas to remove it. Only 54, what a shame.

Aw!! I am so sorry to hear that, kumquat. Life is too short.

As for me... plumber done, painter done, electrician done, roofer done, handyman done, carpet installation done... today I acquired new doormats, stove under-burner plates, wall switchplates, and more. Frank is helping me to get the ceiling gratings off so I can clean them, or replace if necessary. Every muscle in my body aches so this day of light work is very welcome.

Aw!! I am so sorry to hear that, kumquat. Life is too short.

As for me... plumber done, painter done, electrician done, roofer done, handyman done, carpet installation done... today I acquired new doormats, stove under-burner plates, wall switchplates, and more. Frank is helping me to get the ceiling gratings off so I can clean them, or replace if necessary. Every muscle in my body aches so this day of light work is very welcome.

It sounds like it is time for some pictures! Congratulations on coordinating and completing so many tasks. I bet you're are sick of moving furniture around.

This week, we finished building (are you really ever finished?) what will become our full time retirement home next summer so DW and I are spending the weekend here. We couldn't stay overnight until I got the fence up to keep the three dogs in close. A beautiful weekend in West Virginia, clear and high 70's, hope to have the telescope out later.

It sounds like it is time for some pictures! Congratulations on coordinating and completing so many tasks. I bet you're are sick of moving furniture around.

Thank you! No photos quite yet because things are still in a state of pandemonium. I was just too sore and exhausted to finish moving it all back. And yes, I am so sick of moving everything I own around! The actual move north should be a piece of cake compared with this. I think the painting and recarpeting would have been a lot easier if I had a garage where I could put everything, and then leave it until the renovations were done. My next home will have a garage.

I have some motivation to move a few things this afternoon, though. I bought some nice, shiny, new under-burner plates for the stovetop, and would like to install them - - but can't get close enough to do that, due to all the stuff piled up in front of it.

Last edited:
Get up bright and early to meet a friend at the lumber yard when it opened at 7:00 AM. Then we built a wheel-chair ramp at another friend's house. She will never R, much less E. We'll be back before Xmas to remove it. Only 54, what a shame.

It is a shame. I kinda know what you're going through. My BIL and I built one for DW's uncle several years ago in anticipation of him returning home from the nursing home. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think he made it home to use it.

Well my home project is finally winding down . Room painted , wood work re stained , banister stripped & re stained , carpeting to be delivered next week . My SO did most of the work and he is a perfectionist on home repairs so it looks great but just took longer than if I had hired someone . This will complete my projects for this year . Yeah !

We have no water. This morning the community water tank (serves about 30 homes) was just about dry. Current thinking is that there's a major leak somewhere that no one has been able to locate. It may have been caused by our recent 4.5 earthquake that was very close, and very noticeable.

I guess it's better to have power (and Internet and cable and phones), than water, but it is a bother. Our neighbor has donated water from his hot tub for toilet flushing.

Current thinking is that we may be out until Monday or Tuesday.

Man...I'm sorry about the earthquake and not having any water Al. :(

The few times we've been without water, I get thirsty right away...then I have to pee.

Today I ate an ice cream cone.

Bleh.....I'm so bored... :dead:

We have no water. This morning the community water tank (serves about 30 homes) was just about dry. Current thinking is that there's a major leak somewhere that no one has been able to locate. It may have been caused by our recent 4.5 earthquake that was very close, and very noticeable.

I guess it's better to have power (and Internet and cable and phones), than water, but it is a bother. Our neighbor has donated water from his hot tub for toilet flushing.

Current thinking is that we may be out until Monday or Tuesday.

Al , I know this will drive you insane at the frivolous spending but just go to Costco or Walmart and buy a few cases of water to hold you over until it is fixed .

Al , I know this will drive you insane at the frivolous spending but just go to Costco or Walmart and buy a few cases of water to hold you over until it is fixed .
For flushing toilets?!?

I'd be hauling trash cans to the ocean to pick up my flushing water... and you don't want to know how the ancient Hawaiians handled the waste-disposal issue in their day.

Finally put up my new shed doors (which I made from scratch) this morning and added a finish coat of paint to them. Received my most recent ebay purchase -- a 1963 tubed receiver -- and spent the afternoon first disassembling and cleaning it and then bringing it up to voltage with the variac. It works like a charm and sounds great. I am very happy.

For flushing toilets?!?

I'd be hauling trash cans to the ocean to pick up my flushing water... and you don't want to know how the ancient Hawaiians handled the waste-disposal issue in their day.

No , for drinking & cooking and maybe a sponge bath !

I went to the Home Show to get ideas for the house I want to build after retirement. I got info about ductless heat pumps, green countertop materials, Solatubes and other goodies. There was supposed to be a seminar about a net-zero energy house, but the speaker had a family emergency and canceled. There was also a seminar called "How to Invest with Our Money" by the Online Trading Acadamy, but I passed on that one. I'll probably take advantage of the "get back in free" offer tomorrow after church—there are a couple more seminars that sound interesting.

No matter how big your photovoltaic array is, you always want a few hundred more watts.

Yeah, ours is 12kw of nameplate, puts out about 17,000kwh per year, and we are gonna use every last drop when we move back home (thought we had excess capacity, so added an electric dryer and a small electric heater...). Now with the advent of the Nissan Leaf and PHVs coming, I'd really like another 2-3kw of panels to power a future EV or PHV car (probably won't do it though).

R

On my homestead I keep 300 gallons of drinking water in a tank, and 800 gallons in a stock tank for the wildlife that is use able. After that I drive up canyon to a spring if needed.

Now with the advent of the Nissan Leaf and PHVs coming, I'd really like another 2-3kw of panels to power a future EV or PHV car (probably won't do it though).
As soon as those cars start showing up on Craigslist we're going to buy one and either build a second array on a pergola or replace our original array (which has paid for itself).

Three years? Five years? I wonder what gas prices will be then...

I had forgotten that I'd bought one of these emergency water containers, and it was in the shed, full of water. I used some bleach to disinfect the water, and will use that only for washing. It's very convenient to have a faucet, and I can refill it (7 gallons) at a nearby campground.

NoWater.jpg

I had forgotten that I'd bought one of these emergency water containers, and it was in the shed, full of water. I used some bleach to disinfect the water, and will use that only for washing. It's very convenient to have a faucet, and I can refill it (7 gallons) at a nearby campground.

Remember when you made the remark about Rich wearing the same shirt ? Well at least he wasn't wearing an apron ! Real men don't eat quiche or wear aprons !:)

Remember when you made the remark about Rich wearing the same shirt ? Well at least he wasn't wearing an apron ! Real men don't eat quiche or wear aprons !:)
Considering the other clothing thread, shouldn't you be grateful that he was at least wearing pants?

To conserve water, just remember the old California saying. If it's yellow let it mellow, when it's brown flush it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom